Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.26%
12.82%
33.33%
25.64%
12.82%
2.56%
2.56%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 10-10-19, 10:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie" (Starring: Aaron Paul, Matt Jones, Jonathan Banks, Charles Baker, Larry Hankin)

Streaming Premiere Date:
10/11/19

Streaming Service:

Rating:
TV-MA (for violence and bloody images, and strong language throughout.)

Running Time:
122m. (2h. 02m.)

Budget:
$6 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
After escaping Jack and his gang, Jesse Pinkman goes on the run from the police and tries to escape his own inner turmoil.

End credit sequence(s):
?

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (tbd votes as of 10/10/19)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:tbd lot Rotten:tbd (tbd% as of 10/10/19)

Metacritic:
tbd metascore ('tbd reviews' as of 10/10/19)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 10-11-19, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Well, just finished. It was a fun, but unnecessary movie. It’s doesn’t expand the world much, other than showing what happens to Jesse in the days after the finale. It was cool seeing certain characters again, but I won’t go into that in case there’s someone foolishly looking in here before watching.
Old 10-11-19, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just finished it as well and thought it was fantastic. It felt like there wasn't a beat missed between the end of the series and this film to me. Satisfying conclusion to Jesse's story, but it makes me want more. Really glad this was made despite my initial hesitations.
Old 10-11-19, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019, D: Gilligan) — S: Aaron Paul

An ok bookend to a story that really didn’t need one
some nice callbacks and the 2 hours went by pretty quick

biggest takeaway: Todd got fat
Old 10-11-19, 08:50 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

This was good. I enjoyed it. A good companion coda piece. But I don't think I feel more fulfilled than I did after the finale. Like a few of you have said, it doesn't add TOO much to what was already a satisfying conclusion.

I was surprised by how much Todd factored in to it and how that info was also kept pretty quiet. Though, he was listed in that leak I posted in the other thread back in January. In fact, all of those names were true.

That bald prosthetic looked weird from some angles.
Old 10-11-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it did what it needed to do though. It showed how much more hell Jesse went through aside from what happened with Walt and showed how broken and damaged he came out of everything. Maybe it wasn’t necessarily needed, but I liked it as a wrap up piece to the show and to the character.

I was surprised at Todd’s involvement a bit as well. Such a weird character. It’s like he tries to act like a decent guy in terms of how he treats Jesse, but he’s obviously so fucked in the head and sorta dusts off killing like it’s really nothing other than an oops he has to deal with.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-11-19 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-11-19, 02:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone going in to this expecting something new and exciting will be disappointed even though the trailer makes it look like Jesse gets messed up in some new kind of scheme. I loved it as it mainly featured two of my favorite side characters, the vacuum cleaner guy and Todd. The whole Sergio Leone shootout at the end felt completely out of place for Vince though. I wonder how the welder guys even knew about that Todd had a money stash at his apartment.
Old 10-11-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The shootout may be one of my only complaints. It did feel a bit out of place. I didn’t see Jesse as wanting to have to take that kind of action again, but at the same time he was desperate and shoved into a corner and it was the only real chance he had to save himself and get a new life.

Part of me would almost be interested in seeing more of Jesse and what he does with himself after his fresh start, but then I guess it probably wouldn’t be as interesting and where do you end it at that point.
Old 10-11-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The trailer showing Skinny Pete being interrogated was not included for some reason.
Old 10-11-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I thought it did what it needed to do though. It showed how much more hell Jesse went through aside from what happened with Walt and showed how broken and damaged he came out of everything. Maybe it wasn’t necessarily needed, but I liked it as a wrap up piece to the show and to the character.

I was surprised at Todd’s involvement a bit as well. Such a weird character. It’s like he tries to act like a decent guy in terms of how he treats Jesse, but he’s obviously so fucked in the head and sorta dusts off killing like it’s really nothing other than an oops he has to deal with.

I got a vibe that Todd was going to violate Jesse after they buried his cleaning lady. Also, while I know that it would've screwed up the continuity, why didn't Jesse blast Todd away when he had the chance?
Old 10-11-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least they finally definitively stated that Heisenberg is DEAD.
Old 10-11-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

As others have stated, it was a good flick but was largely an unneeded flick. It offers very little outside of nostalgia and the desire for the show to go-on.

I didn't mind the shoot out at the end. It was kind of payback because that welder guy was the one who built Jesse's cage and confinement mechanism.
Old 10-11-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I got a vibe that Todd was going to violate Jesse after they buried his cleaning lady. Also, while I know that it would've screwed up the continuity, why didn't Jesse blast Todd away when he had the chance?
Todd definitely gave off a creeper vibe, but not sure about that. I thought he was maybe going to beat on Jesse or it would show a scene later with the aftermath of that scene with the other members of Jack’s gang beating in him after Todd told them what happened.

As far as why Jesse didn’t kill Todd when he had the chance, I really have no idea. Definitely seemed like he had an opportunity, but at the same time he may have been scared of being hunted down and having more happen to him or others he cared about.

At least they finally definitively stated that Heisenberg is DEAD.
Yeah, not sure why some wanted it to be that Walt somehow magically survived. Felina gave a good ending to Walt’s character arc.
Old 10-11-19, 05:39 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I was expecting the gun to be a test planted by Todd, just to see what Jesse would do. I really thought that he’d pull the trigger only to find the gun empty of ammo.
Old 10-11-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I was expecting the gun to be a test planted by Todd, just to see what Jesse would do. I really thought that he’d pull the trigger only to find the gun empty of ammo.
That occurred to me too. However, at that point I would think it would be worth the risk. But I do take your point.

Old 10-11-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Great movie. Nice epilogue to the main series and enjoyed all the cameos. Aaron Paul was spectacular in this, I hope he finds some more roles that let him stretch a bit. Some of that great classic Breaking Bad tense scenes (the apartment and final confrontation ones were spectacular). Very happy with this and how they ended Jesse's story - no need to see more.

(And re: Todd and Jesse, with the threat Todd made when letting Jesse out which I understood would be a very unpleasant fate, I wouldn't have taken the chance either that the gun wasn't loaded. That'd be peak Todd to plant it like that.)
Old 10-11-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

It was good, but as mentioned already a few times - the best word to describe it is: unnecessary.

The shoot-out was weird and felt out of place.

They couldn't get Jesse Plemons to lose weight for this? He really kills the continuity between the show and this movie.
Old 10-11-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Plemons, in addition to becoming a porky who couldn't summon up enough self-discipline to drop a few pounds for his livelihood and art, I hate him even more for getting Kirsten Dunst who is way out of his league.
Old 10-11-19, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was fine. But absolutely the U-word. I can see why it didn't get the promotion something like this should have gotten. Breaking Bad wasn't meant to be a movie. It loses something when you don't have a shock moment that cuts to black and then you have to wait four minutes to see what happens next.
Old 10-11-19, 10:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

El Camino...more of the same, which is a great thing. Same look, camera angles, slow burn. Some action, but all about the subtleties. Just perfect.
Old 10-11-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts

Wasn't the threat to the kid still hanging over his head?
Old 10-11-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm sure there will be a lot of bitching about this flick in general but I liked it a lot. It was solid and cool to see where Pinkman ends up. It's definitely NOT a pointless sequel - I actually thought this wrapped the series up nicely as Pinkman was such a huge part of white.

So long Mr. White and Mr. Pink.
Old 10-11-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Hey man, you're on fire”

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-11-19 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Wasn't the threat to the kid still hanging over his head?
Of course. I don't know why people are forgetting that. If Jesse had killed Todd, his uncle, or one of the other scumbags would've killed Brock.

I enjoyed this, as it really was a true wrap-up of the story, but I also agree that the gunfight didn't really make sense. And Jesse had some pretty thick plot armor shooting it out with the second guy.

When I was finished watching I happened to go on twitter and was sad to see Bryan Cranston tweet that Robert Forster (the vacuum/disappear guy) passed away, today, from brain cancer.
Old 10-12-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.