Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.26%
12.82%
33.33%
25.64%
12.82%
2.56%
2.56%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by redrum
Cranston have a bald cap on? His head looked bigger
It sure looked like it and it looked bad.

To be honest, they didn't do a good job at all trying to make the characters look like they did when the show aired - and it's not just Todd... although he was the worst offender.
Walt's bald cap and extra weight around the middle didn't look good, and Jesse definitely looked 9 years older/heavier than the time frame where he was with Jane.

And all this talk about getting to know what happened to Jesse and having the character getting closure, yet the movie failed to give us any answers to the biggest question from the series - what the hell happened to Huell!? Was he still hanging out at the motel waiting for Hank and Gomez?
Old 10-14-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm not that down on it, but see where you're coming from. I was a little surprised it was as predictable as it was.
For example, when Walt frantically buys a machine gun in S5E1, we had NO IDEA what it was needed for, let alone how it would be deployed. When we saw a burned teddy bear in S2E1, nobody could have had any inclination what the significance of that would be.
But if you or I had to write an immediate sequel to Felina, we would probably come up with something similar to "Jesse is being hunted down by cops, visits his two best friends, needs to get money and then have Ed the Vacuum guy transport him far away. And with flashback cameos". While the Todd diversion was kinda interesting, it is disappointing that the rest of it went so safe and predictable.
I think the difference with the examples you listed and why this movie is predictable is those were when the show was still building towards things. The twists and turns added to how the story played out and it had more time to do so. The show is over and this was just a wrap up to the character of Jesse. It didn’t need any crazy twists or whatever to make it less predictable. At least in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Coral
It sure looked like it and it looked bad.

To be honest, they didn't do a good job at all trying to make the characters look like they did when the show aired - and it's not just Todd... although he was the worst offender.
Walt's bald cap and extra weight around the middle didn't look good, and Jesse definitely looked 9 years older/heavier than the time frame where he was with Jane.
Todd didn’t look the greatest I’ll agree. He looked the most visibly different, and especially given how much screen time he had the actor could have lost more weight or whatever he needed to do to make himself look younger.

For Cranston reprising Walt I can excuse him wearing a bald cap. It was noticeable yes, but at the same time it’s such a short scene and it seems silly to expect Cranston to shave his head for a single scene. Not sure how else they could have made it look a lot better without him shaving his head.

I didn’t think Jesse looked that bad in the flashback with Jane personally. Aaron Paul has obviously gotten older, but he still looks pretty close to the same to me personally. Can’t stop aging and obviously a film like this didn’t have the budget for the de-aging technology that’s starting to become available.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-14-19 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 05:14 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Cranston have a bald cap on? His head looked bigger
Most definitely.
Old 10-14-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Good movie - I avoided all trailers and marketing so I was surprised by each character appearance.

This series is the best at the little things, such as when Jesse turns on the TV and flips through the channels to find the news broadcast featuring his parents. Other movies or TV shows always have the character tuning into the correct channel immediately. The attention to detail is top notch.
I also appreciated that... and during the shoot-out that they weren't putting headshots into each other like it was The Walking Dead. They genuinely shot like they were panicked and inexperienced with a pistol.

I didn't love this movie but I did appreciate it for what it was... it didn't feel necessary but I suppose seeing Jesse end on a positive note was ok. The torture stuff was hard to watch and chalk me up as someone who was confused that we didn't get the Skinny Pete interrogation scene.
Old 10-14-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Of course. I don't know why people are forgetting that. If Jesse had killed Todd, his uncle, or one of the other scumbags would've killed Brock.
I gotta believe that Todd's uncle would have had waaaay more on his mind than finding Brock and killing him. I think he'd be in panic mode and trying to cover his tracks asap... Jesse "should" have offed Todd in the desert, anonymously called the cops and headed for the hills. Now I know that isn't how this could have possibly played out for continuity but that's what should have happened.
Old 10-14-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Completely underwhelmed by this. Seemed more like 2 filler episodes of BB rather than a complete story.

Add me to the list of people who don't understand why they didn't make Plemons drops some pounds for this. Him being 20+ lbs heavier wasn't even subtle.
Old 10-14-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

It felt like two episodes of BB.
People say this was "unnecessary" - I'd say about a third of the episodes of BB were unnecessary, but they were still mostly entertaining, so this fits right in.
Old 10-14-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I gotta believe that Todd's uncle would have had waaaay more on his mind than finding Brock and killing him. I think he'd be in panic mode and trying to cover his tracks asap... Jesse "should" have offed Todd in the desert, anonymously called the cops and headed for the hills. Now I know that isn't how this could have possibly played out for continuity but that's what should have happened.
After what Jesse had already been through, particularly watching Todd murder Andrea, I think the threat was taken very seriously, and there's no way Jesse could risk any harm coming to Brock. As we see it turn out, Brock was the only thing Jesse had left that meant anything to him.
Old 10-14-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...orter_livefeed

For the crew, however, there were other, more prosaic concerns. The painstakingly made bald cap could not reproduce one of the most famous skulls in television history. Cranston’s hair was stuffed under it, so the silhouette was off. It was a problem the crew soon realized they would have to fix digitally, and as a result, nearly every shot in the diner scene is a VFX shot.
Old 10-14-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Completely underwhelmed by this. Seemed more like 2 filler episodes of BB rather than a complete story.

Add me to the list of people who don't understand why they didn't make Plemons drops some pounds for this. Him being 20+ lbs heavier wasn't even subtle.

Old 10-14-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m really surprised they didn’t try harder with Todd. He definitely looks the most different and especially considering his role is pretty large. Not even just the weight but his hair style is different. It wasn’t enough to take me out of the film but I did notice it.
Old 10-14-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Nobody thought to just have him wear a hat?

Old 10-14-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Nobody thought to just have him wear a hat?

actually this would have been the headgear

Old 10-15-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, the timeline of that flashback was pre-Heisenberg... when they were still cooking out of the RV... so the hat wouldn't have been an option. You can also tell the timeline because he didn't have a goatee... this was back when he was only sporting a mustache.

In that scene, Jesse also looked wrong. I checked out some screenshots from S2 on IMDB and you can see Jesse was much younger looking and had a much skinnier face.

Seems like a lot of compromising just to have Walt in a scene.
Old 10-15-19, 10:09 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, the timeline of that flashback was pre-Heisenberg... when they were still cooking out of the RV... so the hat wouldn't have been an option. You can also tell the timeline because he didn't have a goatee... this was back when he was only sporting a mustache.
Walt first wears that hat and calls himself Heisenberg in Season 1. The flashback is in during Season 2 Episode 9.
Old 10-15-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, he takes on the Heisenberg persona when he goes to meet with Tuco in season one. We don’t get the fully realized version of him as the cocky badass/evil guy with the goatee until later though. He has more of his humanity the first couple seasons despite turning more bad.
Old 10-15-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
And exactly zero people in the wold would turn down $248,200 instead of $250,000 Just didn't connect with me.
This was my only complaint, felt totally forced, just a ridiculous way to extend the plot. Other than that, I loved everything about it.
I wonder if the welding dude would have just given him the $1800 if he hadn't been coked up? He sure had the chance...

Old 10-15-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took Robert Forster’s character as just being a hardass and reluctant to help Jesse since he was a wanted suspect and was only going to help on exactly his terms since he had the opportunity once and bailed.
Old 10-15-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Walt first wears that hat and calls himself Heisenberg in Season 1. The flashback is in during Season 2 Episode 9.
Bah! I can't remember shit anymore.
Old 10-15-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
This was my only complaint, felt totally forced, just a ridiculous way to extend the plot. Other than that, I loved everything about it.
I wonder if the welding dude would have just given him the $1800 if he hadn't been coked up? He sure had the chance...
Watched ElCamino a second time, and the $1800 bothered me a lot. Jesse should have had a larger amount to make up. It would have made more sense for the vacuum guy to turn him down, as well as justifying him going back to the welder guy which he must have known was a dangerous situation. There must have been an easier, less life-threatening way to get that money. His parents looked pretty affluent, would they have an emergency stash somewhere in the house?
Old 10-15-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

As far as the welder goes, I think Jesse was wanting some payback there. He didn't realize who the thieves pretending to be cops in Todd's apartment were until he saw them leaving in the truck and put it together. By then it was too late to do anything. After letting it stew for a while, he said fuck it, and Ed's messing with him gave him an opportunity to go fuck with them.

The one thing that felt off to me about the exchange with Ed is when Ed wanted Jesse to pay $125,000 for the his first aborted attempt. Surely Ed would only take advance payment for his services and not give refunds, so I'm not sure how Jesse owed him for the first one unless I forgot some detail from BB.
Old 10-15-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
I mentioned this in an earlier post, it really bothered me. First, he owes him 125K from the pick-up that never happened. Then he turns him down because he's $1,800 short, but doesnt take the money he supposedly owed. Then he calls the cops, only to give a false description.

I wish they wouldve showed how Jesse got the scars.

The movie was absolutely unnecessary but I'm still glad it was made. More Breaking Bad is better than no Breaking Bad.
Old 10-16-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Watched ElCamino a second time, and the $1800 bothered me a lot. Jesse should have had a larger amount to make up. It would have made more sense for the vacuum guy to turn him down, as well as justifying him going back to the welder guy which he must have known was a dangerous situation. There must have been an easier, less life-threatening way to get that money. His parents looked pretty affluent, would they have an emergency stash somewhere in the house?
I wondered if when he went to the safe if he was only looking for a gun or if he was counting on cash being in there too.
Old 10-16-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

I wondered if when he went to the safe if he was only looking for a gun or if he was counting on cash being in there too.
I took it as he was only looking for cash, and instead found guns and made up his mind to use the guns to go after the welder then, while in his parent's home. But then he ends up with far more spending cash in addition to what he gave to Forester, since he took their share as well.
Old 10-16-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I took it as he was only looking for cash, and instead found guns and made up his mind to use the guns to go after the welder then, while in his parent's home. But then he ends up with far more spending cash in addition to what he gave to Forester, since he took their share as well.
That’s what I thought too. To me he seemed surprised finding the guns and it seemed like he probably was thinking he’d find cash instead. I don’t think his intent was to use those tiny guns to defend himself if needed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.