Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.26%
12.82%
33.33%
25.64%
12.82%
2.56%
2.56%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Enjoyed it for what it was but it certainly didn’t add much. So glad they made it before Forester passed away. I enjoyed spending a couple more hours with Jesse but wish there was more Badger and Pete and maybe less Todd (in both screen time and body mass). It was fine and I guess I’m glad Jesse got a happy ending rather than an ambiguous one. But not sure he really deserved one...
Old 10-12-19, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Gilligan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I was waiting for the scene where they showed how Jessie got his facial scars. I don't remember him getting his face cut up in the BB finale. Did I miss this?
Also, like someone else mentioned, how/why would the interrogation scene with Skinny Pete be cut out after it was the only scene in the first trailer?

Originally Posted by Coral
The shoot-out was weird and felt out of place
The scene that I felt was weird & didn't make much sense is the one with Jesse in the vac store trying to get R Forester to help him disappear. Jesse paid him 125K but Forester says he still owes him from the first pick-up, but Jesse comes up short $1,800. Forester lets him keep the money & tells him he won't try to collect what he owes him, & eventually calls the police on him only to give them an incorrect description & later on do the deal anyway.

I did notice some easter eggs that have already slipped my mind, but I plan on re-watching this again today & will list them. The one I do remember:
Todd lives on the corner of Holly & Aroze, which were prominently shown. Walt & Skyler named the baby Holly.

Last edited by JZ1276; 10-12-19 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-12-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Good movie - I avoided all trailers and marketing so I was surprised by each character appearance.

This series is the best at the little things, such as when Jesse turns on the TV and flips through the channels to find the news broadcast featuring his parents. Other movies or TV shows always have the character tuning into the correct channel immediately. The attention to detail is top notch.
Old 10-12-19, 07:03 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

I watched last night with my oldest son, home for a fall break from school. We both thought it seemed a fitting end to Jessie's story.

- and

Robert Forster.
Old 10-12-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

It was okay. I loved seeing Cranston play Walt again. And I couldn’t stop noticing Todd’s face either lol.
Old 10-12-19, 08:53 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I enjoyed spending a couple more hours with Jesse but wish there was more Badger and Pete and maybe less Todd (in both screen time and body mass).
This is how I feel about it. It was an enjoyable couple of hours but if it had never been made my life wouldn't be the poorer.
Old 10-12-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Great movie. Nice epilogue to the main series and enjoyed all the cameos. Aaron Paul was spectacular in this, I hope he finds some more roles that let him stretch a bit. Some of that great classic Breaking Bad tense scenes (the apartment and final confrontation ones were spectacular). Very happy with this and how they ended Jesse's story - no need to see more.

(And re: Todd and Jesse, with the threat Todd made when letting Jesse out which I understood would be a very unpleasant fate, I wouldn't have taken the chance either that the gun wasn't loaded. That'd be peak Todd to plant it like that.)
While you may be referring to live action, I love Aaron Paul as Todd on Bojack Horseman. Mostly he's there to break up some pretty dark stories but not always. Even though his voice is completely recognizable, I am always forgetting that it is him doing the voice acting. Completely agree that I want to see more of him and hope he keeps getting meaty roles.
Old 10-12-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Aaron Paul will be in the upcoming 3rd season of Westworld. I enjoyed this movie for what it was. Yes, it wasn't necessary but so are most continuations of stories.
Old 10-12-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I agree that it wasn’t necessary but I still think it was well done. It doesn’t do anything to damage the series or it’s finale by existing.
Old 10-12-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It doesn’t do anything to damage the series or it’s finale by existing.
no, but it slowed down production of BCS 😢
Old 10-12-19, 03:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

So was this released in theaters at all? I didn’t think so. So Paul would be eligible for only Emmy, right? I’m not sure why this thread is in movies. Shouldn’t be in TV? I believe Roma was released to theaters to become Oscar eligible, but didn’t think this was...
Old 10-12-19, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So was this released in theaters at all? I didn’t think so. So Paul would be eligible for only Emmy, right? I’m not sure why this thread is in movies. Shouldn’t be in TV? I believe Roma was released to theaters to become Oscar eligible, but didn’t think this was...
It was covered in the previous El Camino thread (ahem) This movie did play in a few theaters nationwide this weekend but will have less than 70 total showings to remain eligible for Emmy Awards
Old 10-12-19, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

So 71 and eligible for Oscar? Seems like an odd number...

So this thread should be in TV, no?
Old 10-12-19, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So 71 and eligible for Oscar? Seems like an odd number...
Not exactly. Ineligible for Emmy Awards if 70 or more theatrical showings nationwide (like those Fathom Events programs. Ineligible for Oscars if it didn't play in a movie theater in NY and LA for one week, OR if submitted for an Emmy Award. (Different rules apply for documentary films which can and often do win both). So it is possible to be both ineligible for an Oscar and Emmy if you really screw things up .
Old 10-12-19, 05:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Decent but not great. Now Vince needs to get Better Call Saul back on track!
Old 10-12-19, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
Decent but not great. Now Vince needs to get Better Call Saul back on track!
That show is way more Peter Gould than Vince Gilligan anyways.
Old 10-13-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I generally liked it, though it was kind of surplus to requirements, mostly an extended epilogue to the series. I thought that Jesse storming away from the compound in the El Camino at the end of "Felina" was enough closure for the character. But still a rock-solid piece of television/film.

Luckily, the movie didn't make any left turns that damaged the character or the story.

For all of the consernation around a certain sci-fi film franchise about "defying expectations," the Breaking Bad universe doesn't really do that. The storylines and character arcs are tightly controlled and don't rely on radical turns to hold the audience's interest. The characters always act logically -- even when they're doing stupid, self-destructive shit -- and the plot always has a healthy forward momentum, and doesn't fall into the trap that so many other long-form stories do where the creators think they need to be "unpredictable" and shock the audiences.

And, to reference another controversial series ending, Jesse just might become a lumberjack up in Alaska... and it would make sense within the context of the story.
Old 10-13-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Really enjoyed it. Sat down intending to watch half before work and put off doing other things so I could watch all the way through, really kept me hooked, just like a certain old TV series.

Not a complaint, but an observation that this really didn't seem like a movie, but more like those longer "Christmas Specials" British series often do (The Office, Extras).

Neat to get about two extra episodes of Breaking Bad. About four really great scenes, no bad ones (forget who I'm quoting here).
Old 10-13-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I enjoyed it.. as people have said, it's a good companion piece that filled a few missing hours out of the BB series and gave Jesse a post series, happier ending.
Old 10-13-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

I enjoyed it, it was cool being back in the BB world and seeing Walt, Jesse, and the rest again. Nice to see closure on Jesse's story
Old 10-13-19, 05:59 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Collider posted an interview today with Aaron Paul where he states that there was about one hour worth of footage cut.
Old 10-13-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Hopefully this comes to Blu-ray and maybe we get the cut scenes as extra features.
Old 10-13-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Cranston have a bald cap on? His head looked bigger
Old 10-13-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting. I think Breaking Bad is the best TV show ever, and BCS is awesome, but I didnt care for this at all. It just all felt useless and not extremely engaging. And exactly zero people in the wold would turn down $248.200 instead of $250.000 Just didn't connect with me.
Old 10-13-19, 11:51 PM

I'm not that down on it, but see where you're coming from. I was a little surprised it was as predictable as it was.
For example, when Walt frantically buys a machine gun in S5E1, we had NO IDEA what it was needed for, let alone how it would be deployed. When we saw a burned teddy bear in S2E1, nobody could have had any inclination what the significance of that would be.
But if you or I had to write an immediate sequel to Felina, we would probably come up with something similar to "Jesse is being hunted down by cops, visits his two best friends, needs to get money and then have Ed the Vacuum guy transport him far away. And with flashback cameos". While the Todd diversion was kinda interesting, it is disappointing that the rest of it went so safe and predictable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.