Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?
Yes
51.19%
No
30.95%
Maybe
16.67%
What are you high?
1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Old 10-12-19, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

I’m starting to rethink my vote after tonight. I watched Gemini Man in 3D HFR and this couple in front of us brought their newborn to the 10pm showing. The fucking baby was gah gah and goo gooing the entire movie loudly. If that wasn’t enough, the idiot parents gave the baby a set of keys to play with halfway through the movie. Once the baby started in a full out cry, I was relieved that they were going to finally get that fucking baby out of the theater. But no, they let the fucking thing cry for five fucking minutes and didn’t move. I’ve never seen such inconsiderate parents in my life. At the three quarters mark through the movie, I told my wife that I’m never going to have a baby with her because of how annoying they sound. The icing on the cake was that my statement pissed off my wife.
Old 10-13-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Was the baby wearing 3D glasses?

I've thought about bringing condoms to hand to people whose kids do that.
Old 10-13-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Good, I don't want that at home. I laugh when I find something funny... other people laughing doesn't make me laugh.
The cheering I find annoying. Hell, sometimes I miss part of the dialog because I can't hear it over people laughing or cheering... and I can't rewind - you don't get that feature in a theatre.

I'm an adult and I'm watching a film... I'm not a kid at an amusement park.

Movie theatres... bah humbug!
Agreed with everything you said.
Old 10-14-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I saw Star Trek V in a theater the 2nd day it was out. Sold out crowd, theater full of Trekkies.

Even though it was a mediocre movie it was one of the most fun moviegoing experiences of my life.

The crowd had an energy and we all laughed at all of the jokes and cheered for the exciting moments. The movie was enhanced by the crowd.

You can't get that at home.
If I did get that at home, I'd tell my kids to STFU!
And one example from 1989?... sounds like a good reason to me.
Old 10-14-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

I posted my answer in the "Would you miss theaters if everything became VHS?" thread back in 1984
Old 10-15-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amc-theat...155433377.html

A step in the right direction. If a major chain could stream brand new movies, I'd be all over a monthly membership or paying $20 to watch it over a 48 hour period.
Old 10-15-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Edward Norton Says Spielberg Is Wrong: Netflix Isn’t Destroying Movies, Theaters Are

Edward Norton is calling out movie theater chains ahead of the theatrical release of his upcoming Warner Bros. drama “Motherless Brooklyn.” In a new interview with The Daily Beast, Norton tells reporter Nick Schager that “it’s the theater chains that are destroying the theatrical experience. Period, full-stop. No one else.” Norton calls on moviegoers to be vocal about ensuring movie theaters are running projection and sound at top quality because in most cases around the country they are not.

“A lot of filmmakers and cinematographers that I know that have really started to look into this say that more than 60 percent of American theaters are running their projector at almost half the luminosity that they’re required by contract to run it at,” Norton said. “They are delivering crappy sound and a dim picture, and no one is calling them on it.”

Norton continued, “If [movie theaters] were delivering what they’re supposed to be delivering, people would be going, ‘Wow, this is amazing, I do not get this at home’…Well, I want people to literally walk into their theater and find the manager and say, ‘If this looks dark, you’re giving me my money back. Because I’m paying — and at the ArcLight, I’m paying premium — for a premium experience.'”

Norton said he personally witnessed movie theaters’ bad quality when he went to test screen “Motherless Brooklyn” in a theater that was screening “Captain Marvel.” The filmmaker told The Daily Beast that 14 is the quality control spec the Marvel film should be running at but the theater was running the movie at a 6.2 spec.

“That means it was literally running at less than half the light that was supposed to be on there,” Norton said. “You want to train people. Like, go get your money back. If the movie looks dark — it was — go get your money back! I think we should rally around that. I really do.”

Norton’s criticism of movie theaters came after his defense of Netflix. Norton said he disagreed with Steven Spielberg’s headline-making comments that Netflix poses a danger to the theatrical experience. Spielberg even argued that Netflix movies should qualify for Emmys and not Oscars. Norton said that Netflix is doing more to preserve the theatrical experience than movie theater chains themselves.

“If I disagreed with anybody, with great respect, it was [Steven] Spielberg,” Norton said. “Netflix invested more in ‘Roma’ theatrically than any boutique label at any studio would have by a factor of five. They put a Spanish-language black-and-white film all over the world in theaters. Hundreds of theaters, not just a few; as many as Sony Pictures Classics would have done. They put more money behind it, in a theatrical context, than anybody would have. You can’t tell me there’s a whole lot of people making black-and-white Spanish-language films and putting that investment behind them.”

Norton added, “There’s a lot going on because of Netflix, and what it was the vanguard of, that represents an unprecedented period of ripe opportunity for many more types of stories and voices to be heard, and told, and celebrated. It’s incredible, what’s going on."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...173858215.html

I agree.

I do both.
Old 10-15-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Cube
I’m starting to rethink my vote after tonight. I watched Gemini Man in 3D HFR and this couple in front of us brought their newborn to the 10pm showing. The fucking baby was gah gah and goo gooing the entire movie loudly. If that wasn’t enough, the idiot parents gave the baby a set of keys to play with halfway through the movie. Once the baby started in a full out cry, I was relieved that they were going to finally get that fucking baby out of the theater. But no, they let the fucking thing cry for five fucking minutes and didn’t move. I’ve never seen such inconsiderate parents in my life. At the three quarters mark through the movie, I told my wife that I’m never going to have a baby with her because of how annoying they sound. The icing on the cake was that my statement pissed off my wife.
Those "inconsiderate parents" are EVERYWHERE (trust me).

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Was the baby wearing 3D glasses?

I've thought about bringing condoms to hand to people whose kids do that.
Nice.

Although I have an HT with the same setup as Rob V, even if I didn't, I wouldn't go to my local cineplex regularly.
Old 10-15-19, 09:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Theatres would be great if it wasn't for the customers.
Old 10-15-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Why go to the theater if what Norton says is true and you are not getting a good picture and sound?

I wish Norton would put Motherless Brooklyn on Netflix streaming
Old 10-16-19, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Theatres would be great if it wasn't for the customers.
AND the crappy seating, the lousy expensive food, etc...

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Why go to the theater if what Norton says is true and you are not getting a good picture and sound?
He isn't the first one to point this out.
Owners cutting corners (saving electricity by reducing Lamp brightness) is nothing new...it has been going on forever and ever.
Old 10-16-19, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus

Owners cutting corners (saving electricity by reducing Lamp brightness) is nothing new...it has been going on forever and ever.
While I agree with him maybe it would be different if Hollywood wouldn't marginalize the profits of the theaters where they almost have to cut corners.
Old 10-16-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus

I recall Siskel and Ebert mentioning that Martin Scorsese always carried a light meter of some kind to test the theaters he attended and usually they were way under.
Old 10-16-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I took my daughter to see IT 2 a few weeks back... cost me over $60.That’s crazy.
Old 10-16-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I took my daughter to see IT 2 a few weeks back... cost me over $60.That’s crazy.
I don't how often you have time to go to the movies, but have you considered the Regal or AMC programs?

$23/per month for 12 movies per month for AMC

$23/per month for unlimited movies for Regal.

If you don't live near either or simply don't have that kind of time, then that's another story. But if you go fairly regularly, it saves you so much money aside from concession prices.
Old 10-16-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sorry to hear that. Did you fall? And I know you're a pretty avid theatre goer for most new releases. Do you need surgery on your foot? If that's the case, then you really need to take it easy.

Looks like you're going to miss Gemini Man, Zombieland 2, Terminator, Frozen 2, Knives Out and It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood for major new releases.
I stumbled in the backyard, and my right foot tried to fold forward, hyper-extending and obliquely breaking the 2nd metatarsal. There’s some concern that it might not heal back straight, but we are trying to avoid surgery. My age and diabetes are playing a big factor in the healing process.

Yeah, I am bummed that my movie-going is being curtailed for a while. But I'd rather be able to walk without a permanent limp.
Old 10-16-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoyed watching Avengers Endgame in a pack theater. The shared excitement, laughter, tears throughout the movie made it kinda awesome
I also have a great time watching movies at home with the kids using the projector
I like watching movies on my 4k TV when everyone went sleep already
And I like watching movies on my iPad while feeding the baby

i just love watching movies no matter the surroundings
Old 10-16-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Theaters around here have tiny screens in comparison to elsewhere. They're also often really dark and blurry.

The upside to our local theaters is often no one is there, so you get the whole movie to yourself; but video quality is definitely better at home.

And considering tickets for movies are upwards of $13 per person, while drinks are $5 and popcorn is $8.... It's just a no-brainer that watching at home is the choice for me.

Only reason I go to theaters at all is for like one or two movies a year where I just don't want to wait 3 months to see it or if we're just bored at home and wanna get out for the night.
Old 10-17-19, 12:58 PM

Sorry to hear that. Did you fall? And I know you're a pretty avid theatre goer for most new releases. Do you need surgery on your foot? If that's the case, then you really need to take it easy..
Well, dang. Two more weeks before my next follow-up and still housebound. There’s a good chance I will not be able to go back to work until Veteran’s Day. And definitely no theater movies until I am able to drive again.

on the plus side, plenty of movies through Vudu, Amazon and other resources....
Old 10-17-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

There goes the theory that the picture quality of the home experience will never match the theater experience.
Old 10-17-19, 08:34 PM

There goes the theory that the picture quality of the home experience will never match the theater experience.
We have a 65inch 4K TV and a lot of my stuff is in UHD, I can say I'm pretty happy with our picture quality. The only thing I might miss is the shared communal experience of theater going. But not a half hour of trailers I have already watched on YouTube.
Old 10-18-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is what it is....
Old 10-18-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't how often you have time to go to the movies, but have you considered the Regal or AMC programs?

$23/per month for 12 movies per month for AMC

$23/per month for unlimited movies for Regal.

If you don't live near either or simply don't have that kind of time, then that's another story. But if you go fairly regularly, it saves you so much money aside from concession prices.
I did consider it but we only make it to the theaters a few times a year.