Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?
Yes
51.19%
No
30.95%
Maybe
16.67%
What are you high?
1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Old 10-07-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts
Re: Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Theaters were great when the other option was pan n' scan VHS at 240i on a CRT square screen.

Funny how we watched movies on VHS and people accepted that as a way to watch and enjoy movies.

Maybe in the not so distant future there will be technology that will match or get really close to the theater experience at home if there is nothing left to advance the technology of TVs and you run out of numbers to use before "K"
Old 10-07-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

There are some things, yeah, for sure. I think the experience of seeing Endgame with a crowd opening night is something that cannot be matched, for example, but I think I'd only miss it for the event movies.
Old 10-07-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I rarely go to the theater anymore as it is as I tend to just wait for it to be released via streaming platforms, itunes, or Blu-ray.

Theaters have very limited view times that make it hard for me to make it there to watch to be honest as they either don't start early enough in the day for me to have time or don't stay open late enough.

I think I've seen maybe 2 films this year in theaters.

I can hold it during the movie, but my daughter can't, so we always end up missing like 10 minutes of the film at some point for her to go to the bathroom. And ticket prices have soared so high (up to $13 a person here) and their drinks and popcorn ($5 drink, $8 popcorn) have become so ridiculous that it's just a ridiculous cost unless we hit an early bird discount on discount Tuesday and sneak in our own drinks and candy.

Up to $44 for just my daughter and myself to enjoy a 2 hour movie on a Saturday and have our own drink while sharing a popcorn is just flat out crazy in my opinion.
Old 10-07-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Funny how we watched movies on VHS and people accepted that as a way to watch and enjoy movies.

Maybe in the not so distant future there will be technology that will match or get really close to the theater experience at home if there is nothing left to advance the technology of TVs and you run out of numbers to use before "K"
It's not quite there yet, but VR technology is well on the way toward giving you the theater experience at home. Some VR video players already let you choose to watch the video in a virtual theater, that gives you the sense of being in a large movie theater, surrounded by seats and aisles and lights that dim when the movie starts playing on the giant screen in front of you. And for the communal aspect, there are some apps where an event (like a showing of a movie) is scheduled for a specific time and you can enter the virtual theater and see avatars of other people who are attending at the same time, sitting in the seats around you.
Old 10-07-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

For me it's nothing to miss. A movie theater is like going to a rich person's home who got a huge screen and huge speakers that you can't afford. I also think that movie theaters are for people who are highly sociable. With today's current technology at home like huge 4K and 8K tv sets there is nothing you won't miss much at the theater except baby cries.

Old 10-08-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You simply cannot replicate an IMAX, Dolby Digital image and sound at home. You can claim you have the greatest home theatre in America, but unless you spend like 10 grand on it or more, it sucks compared to the theatrical equipment and technology.
If you're lucky enough to have a high-end theater in your area. Generally though, most multiplexes have ONE theater with a top-notch screen and great sound and the rest are just "okay." I know the audio I get at home via Atmos is much better than almost everything I see that isn't IMAX. While the screen size is always better, most theaters run their projection bulbs so dim that you can't see anything. This isn't a new problem - it's been happening since the 35mm days.
Old 10-08-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
really, at that price? i would never pay that much just to have at home. what if it sucked?
For a brand new release that I want to see? Sure. $40 isn't too much more than what it would cost my wife and I to go see it in a theater and the convenience and comfort of our home makes up the difference easily.

Like with movies in theaters today, if I don't think I'm going to enjoy it a good bit, I'd wait until it's actually released to home video and watch it cheap.
Old 10-08-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would definitely miss the experience. I don't get to go too often anymore outside of Star Wars or Marvel films unfortunately. Baby #2 is due in a month...so even that will be pushing it.
Old 10-08-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I already miss theaters- they've been on a decline the past 20 years. My favorite theater just got torn down this year after 5 years of sitting empty, and meanwhile they build new theaters with pathetically small screens that seat about 50, and are the wrong aspect ratio with no masking so widescreen movies are letterboxed just like at home.

If there were a GOOD theater in my area I'd go once a week regardless of what was showing- but no theaters here meet that standard. Haven't been to any in a year and a half now since the last time I went was so awful (picture was so dark they should have just cancelled the showing if they couldn't fix it right away.)
Old 10-08-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
A month, right? Not per movie...
It costs me and my wife $24 to see a movie in a theater. Add in popcorn and a drink (which I'm doing when I go to a theater...that's part of the whole experience) then we are looking at at least $40 per movie. If I take our 13 and 15 year olds? Then we're looking at around $70. So yeah, I'd gladly pay $50 to watch (and then own) a new movie on opening weekend.

I blind-buy a lot of movies digitally that I miss in theaters...because even at $20 it's still cheaper than just theater tickets for two.
Old 10-08-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can have a big TV at home but with most movies in letterbox or with black bars the picture becomes much smaller.
Old 10-08-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

You simply cannot replicate rewinding a missed dialogue at the theaters though. and that happens about once or twice with me on each film on average (and the going to pee part too).
Old 10-08-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I don't get is how people could sit for close to 3 hrs in a theater to watch the Avengers and not complain?

It seems movies are getting longer every year and spending that much time on a theater seat is not that exciting.
Old 10-08-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
What I don't get is how people could sit for close to 3 hrs in a theater to watch the Avengers and not complain?

It seems movies are getting longer every year and spending that much time on a theater seat is not that exciting.
News flash it's not 1986 anymore. Theatres have recliner seats now.
Old 10-08-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
You simply cannot replicate rewinding a missed dialogue at the theaters though. and that happens about once or twice with me on each film on average.
Even more for me when I'm watching a subtitled film. It's not always easy trying to see everything that's going on in the frame while reading the subtitles - especially if it's a large amount of dialog and there's a lot to read. Missing an important part of dialog (subtitled or not) can really ruin the rest of the film since you might lose track of what's going on.
Old 10-09-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Things I don't like about Movie Theaters:

1) parking/traffic
2) uncomfortable seats and sticky floors
3) screaming kids and other stupid people
4) shitty video quality
5) no PAUSE Button
6) bathrooms not 10ft. away
7) don't employ the World's Best Bartender (me)

IOW, I wouldn't miss them one bit...
Old 10-09-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
It's all relative anyway. The movie screen may be 10 times larger, but you're sitting a lot further back.
I sit around 12 feet away from my 65" TV - so it's not as drastic a difference as it may seem. Plus we're seeing a lot more 75"-80" TVs on the market - so it's getting a lot closer.

There's so much more to the movie viewing experience than just audio and video.
Nothing that matters nearly as much.

And you don't sit 120 FEET away from a movie theater screen (in most cases), so the movie theater screen is always going to be a lot more impressive and immersive than your TV screen at home.

The experience is totally different.
Old 10-09-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Hesitantly, I voted yes.

While I love seeing films on the big screen, people can be awful at theaters.
Old 10-09-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Nothing that matters nearly as much.
To you, maybe... but not for me.
As long as I have great picture and sound quality - even if it's not as big or as loud as a movie theatre, it's a minor trade-off compared to the HUGE advantages to watching at home. And I don't find the video quality all that great in a theatre - it's just larger.

With my home theatre I'm not lacking great audio/video, but with a movie theatre I'm totally missing out on:

- comfortable seating
- convenience of being home
- ability to watch a movie with other people distracting me
- the PAUSE button
- the REWIND button
- a close/comfortable bathroom

The experience is totally different.
You're right... it's totally different. The home theatre experience is MUCH better than the movie theatre experience.
Old 10-09-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To you, maybe... but not for me.
As long as I have great picture and sound quality - even if it's not as big or as loud as a movie theatre, it's a minor trade-off compared to the HUGE advantages to watching at home. And I don't find the video quality all that great in a theatre - it's just larger.

With my home theatre I'm not lacking great audio/video, but with a movie theatre I'm totally missing out on:

- comfortable seating
- convenience of being home
- ability to watch a movie with other people distracting me
- the PAUSE button
- the REWIND button
- a close/comfortable bathroom

You're right... it's totally different. The home theatre experience is MUCH better than the movie theatre experience.
Not for me. I prefer a bigger screen and more immersive experience.
Old 10-09-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

I have a 75" 4k TV with Atmos and it's outstanding. I can't think of a reason to go to a theater when I can get a more comfortable experience at home. It doesn't hurt that I have a popcorn machine and all the booze I could want. Plus, pause and rewind.
Old 10-09-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I have a 75" 4k TV with Atmos and it's outstanding. I can't think of a reason to go to a theater when I can get a more comfortable experience at home. It doesn't hurt that I have a popcorn machine and all the booze I could want. Plus, pause and rewind.
[Christian Bale] Good for you!! [/Christian Bale]

Most of us don't have 75" 4K TV's at home.

And even if I did, I'd still prefer the theater experience. Even with a home screen that large I'd still prefer the more immersive experience in a theater.
Old 10-09-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Star Trek V in a theater the 2nd day it was out. Sold out crowd, theater full of Trekkies.

Even though it was a mediocre movie it was one of the most fun moviegoing experiences of my life.

The crowd had an energy and we all laughed at all of the jokes and cheered for the exciting moments. The movie was enhanced by the crowd.

You can't get that at home.
Old 10-09-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I saw Star Trek V in a theater the 2nd day it was out. Sold out crowd, theater full of Trekkies.

Even though it was a mediocre movie it was one of the most fun moviegoing experiences of my life.

The crowd had an energy and we all laughed at all of the jokes and cheered for the exciting moments. The movie was enhanced by the crowd.

You can't get that at home.
Good, I don't want that at home. I laugh when I find something funny... other people laughing doesn't make me laugh.
The cheering I find annoying. Hell, sometimes I miss part of the dialog because I can't hear it over people laughing or cheering... and I can't rewind - you don't get that feature in a theatre.

I'm an adult and I'm watching a film... I'm not a kid at an amusement park.

Movie theatres... bah humbug!
Old 10-09-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good, I don't want that at home. I laugh when I find something funny... other people laughing doesn't make me laugh.
The cheering I find annoying. Hell, sometimes I miss part of the dialog because I can't hear it over people laughing or cheering... and I can't rewind - you don't get that feature in a theatre.

I'm an adult and I'm watching a film... I'm not a kid at an amusement park.

Movie theatres... bah humbug!
Wow. What an old stick in the mud.

Clearly you're a fun person to be around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.