Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?
Yes
51.19%
No
30.95%
Maybe
16.67%
What are you high?
1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Would you miss theaters if everything became streaming?

I would miss them, even though I haven't been to the cinema in about 15 years. There's something special about the atmosphere that can't be recreated at home.
Old 10-06-19, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much watch every movie that is released in the theater so I would really miss the theater. When I watch movies at home, I get too distracted and don’t pay attention to the movie.
Old 10-06-19, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Well, I broke my foot pretty badly today, so I have to settle for my 65in QLED and home surround for the next couple of months. I'll live...
Sorry to hear that. Did you fall? And I know you're a pretty avid theatre goer for most new releases. Do you need surgery on your foot? If that's the case, then you really need to take it easy.

Looks like you're going to miss Gemini Man, Zombieland 2, Terminator, Frozen 2, Knives Out and It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood for major new releases.
Old 10-06-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I miss the movie-going experience before cell phones. Since then ... not so much. I just go to the movies now when it's something I really care about and don't want to risk getting spoiled waiting for it to come to home video. But I do my best to avoid crowds, since it's almost guaranteed that my enjoyment will be hurt by some combination of multiple people talking to each other, talking on their phones, distractingly playing on their phones, kicking my seat, shoving me to get to their seat, etc.
Old 10-06-19, 06:27 PM
Banned

I don't go to theaters anymore, but I'd still miss having the option of going to one if I wanted to go to one for some reason.
Old 10-07-19, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

No theaters are a ripoff with uncomfortable chairs and you can't pause a movie and take a break.
Old 10-07-19, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Nope. Not any more. I recently started doing the unthinkable of watching movies on my (big) phone, and ... it's perfectly fine. With a decent set of headphones and the screen right there in my face, I miss nothing.
Old 10-07-19, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I just saw an episode of “Inside Edition” with theaters; most are dirty and germy as hell filled with rats.
Old 10-07-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Cube
I pretty much watch every movie that is released in the theater so I would really miss the theater. When I watch movies at home, I get too distracted and don’t pay attention to the movie.
And that's the difference for me, -seeing a movie in the theater makes me pay attention to the film. I really don't have all these problems with the audience. I always go to the last Saturday night show; the only time I've had problems with the crowds is when I went on Friday nights because it tends to be a much younger audience, so I haven't done that in a decade or so. The only problem I have with theaters now is working with "Reserved Seating".

At home I'm easily distracted. Though I really shouldn't, I'll check the "display" for the current running time, or do the picture-in-picture to check the internet when something impulsively occurs to me. It's just a different experience, but a film has more impact for me in the theater.
Old 10-07-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would miss them, but it would not be a major loss for me. I would mainly miss them from the perspective of having something to do as an adult. However the magic of the theater experience when I was a kid versus now is just not really there. As a kid I still fondly remember watching Masters of the Universe, Hook, Batman:Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Returns and Batman Forever. However, as an adult, I don't have those same fond memories anymore. For that reason, I think that I would miss them a little bit, however I would not be crushed if they went away either.

Last edited by robin2099; 10-07-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Not even a little. I'd gladly pay $30-$40 to see a new movie at home in full quality.
Old 10-07-19, 01:45 PM
Banned

SNL used to do skits that claimed movie theaters are a way of contracting bedbugs.

Has that ever really happened?
Old 10-07-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

No, I only go to a theater about once or twice a year anymore. The giant screen is nice, but the overpriced food, crowds, inconvenience, and obnoxious people kind of ruin the experience.
Old 10-07-19, 02:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Not even a little. I'd gladly pay $30-$40 to see a new movie at home in full quality.
A month, right? Not per movie...
Old 10-07-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
No, per movie. If I could go home and VOD Joker for $40 tonight, I would.

Obviously cheaper is better but (in the very slim chance this ever happened) you'd have to expect VOD on a new movie to cost more than the price of 2 theater tickets, since more than one person could watch it.
Old 10-07-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

It would have to be per movie. The studio could not afford to make big budget movies otherwise.
Old 10-07-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I had to vote "maybe" on this one...I love seeing movies with a crowd that is into the movie (like opening night for a Star Wars film). However, generally, I hate the cell phones, teenagers talking/screwing around, and the general overall rudeness. To say nothing of the 15 minutes of commercials I now have to sit through just to get to the 20 minutes of trailers.
Old 10-07-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Theaters were great when the other option was pan n' scan VHS at 240i on a CRT square screen. If you missed a movie in theaters, you could only watch a very diminished version at home. That's not the case anymore, so I've already phased theaters out of my life. Besides, they all show the same big budget crap. The kind of movies I like rarely even play at theaters for long, if at all.
Old 10-07-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Nope. I don't go to movies, concerts or sporting events anymore because people are assholes.
Pot, meet Kettle.
Old 10-07-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I cannot imagine not being able to watch big screen movies (ones with great visuals) on the big screen.

A movie screen is probably 10 times the size of my 50" TV. That makes for a huge difference in the experience.

I always feel like I'm missing out when I watch a big screen movie at home rather than in a theater.
Old 10-07-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

While the screen size in the theater is one thing, the other factor is the size of the room. I don't care how big of a tv one has, you can't replicate the theater size unless you're rich.
Old 10-07-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

You simply cannot replicate an IMAX, Dolby Digital image and sound at home. You can claim you have the greatest home theatre in America, but unless you spend like 10 grand on it or more, it sucks compared to the theatrical equipment and technology.

While streaming quality is getting better, it still doesn’t match the quality of a theatrical image and sound. Unless you’re one of those who simply don’t care and just watch stuff without caring about image or sound.
Old 10-07-19, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
No, per movie. If I could go home and VOD Joker for $40 tonight, I would.
really, at that price? i would never pay that much just to have at home. what if it sucked?
Old 10-07-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

really, at that price? i would never pay that much just to have at home. what if it sucked?
Then wait 6 months to 1 year.

Thats the price you’ll have to pay then for having that luxury. But it will never happen. Box office is way too important. And most people are way too cheap to spend that much. I think it would also increase piracy too like digital movies already do.
Old 10-07-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
A movie screen is probably 10 times the size of my 50" TV. That makes for a huge difference in the experience.

I always feel like I'm missing out when I watch a big screen movie at home rather than in a theater.
It's all relative anyway. The movie screen may be 10 times larger, but you're sitting a lot further back.
I sit around 12 feet away from my 65" TV - so it's not as drastic a difference as it may seem. Plus we're seeing a lot more 75"-80" TVs on the market - so it's getting a lot closer.

There's so much more to the movie viewing experience than just audio and video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.