Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
16.00%
26.67%
29.33%
9.33%
8.00%
5.33%
1.33%
2.67%
1.33%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I’ve seen several mentions of security doing bag checks. Why are people even allowed to bring bags into a movie theater in the first place?
Old 10-06-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I’ve seen several mentions of security doing bag checks. Why are people even allowed to bring bags into a movie theater in the first place?
Movie theaters tend to be at malls or commercial business centers, so sometimes folks decide to catch a film with all their crap instead of going back to the car to drop it. Out here, sometimes I've seen students coming back from school with their backpacks catching a flick before going home. Women tend to have their purses on their person.

There are variables.
Old 10-06-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

So we can bring in outside food and beverages instead of having to eat the overpriced junk offered at concession stands.
Old 10-06-19, 04:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

My friend brings this big ass tablet wherever he goes. To movies, out to eat, everywhere. Bothers the shit out of me and I don’t know how something like it was allowed into theater yesterday...
Old 10-06-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I’ve never really understood people who feel the need to carry a bunch of stuff wherever they go. I carry the essential items (phone, wallet, keys) and that’s all. Shopping bags I’d rather drop off at my car than lug them around.
Old 10-06-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You don't need to spoilerize your thoughts, this is a free for all thread.

If anyone reads this without watching the movie, then it's their own fault.
You know, I always wondered why the review threads are "spoiler filled". Wouldn't you think that people who want to read reviews probably don't want to see spoilers?
Old 10-06-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This was really great

looked surprisingly good on IMAX
Old 10-06-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

‘Joker’ Audience Self-Evacuates Long Beach Theater Because Of “Suspicious Subject”

An audience at a screening of Joker on opening weekend self-evacuated a Long Beach theater after a man was acting suspiciously.According to the Long Beach Post, police were dispatched to the Regal Edwards theater in Long Beach Towne Centre on Saturday after they received calls that there were shots coming from the theater. Long Beach police spokeswoman Arantxa Chavarria said that the moviegoers self-evacuated the theater because of a “suspicious subject inside.”The official Long Beach Police Department posted a statement on their official Facebook page saying, “‪Officers were on scene within a minute of dispatch & discovered patrons had self-evacuated due to a suspicious male adult who was wearing a backpack and looking out at the crowd near an emergency exit inside the theater.”They added, “The suspect was detained and was not found in possession of any weapons, however he was taken into custody for an unrelated outstanding warrant.”This comes after the Cinemark Century Huntington Beach and XD cineplex closed on October 3 after receiving word of a “credible threat” surrounding the movie.In the weeks leading up to the release of Joker, the Warner Bros. film has raised eyebrows in a year of mass shootings across the nation, along with its IP connection to the July 2012 shooting in Aurora, CO at the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises that killed 12 and wounded 70. Last month, several of the Aurora victims’ families spoke out about concerns over the film. In response, Warner Bros sought to address those concerns and promised “it is not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero.”
During the film’s premiere last week, there was heightened security but luckily there were no threats. However, police from Los Angeles to New York still remained vigilant during opening weekend. Theater chains including AMC and Landmark have issued bans on masks being worn by patrons and other concealments. The Cinemark site’s Joker listings page highlights its “costume policy” which states “that masks, hats, helmets that cover the face, and face painting are not allowed within the theatre or auditoriums. Additionally, simulated weapons are not permitted in the theatre or auditorium.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...014145649.html

Crazy, I had not heard of the Huntington Beach incident either. Glad nothing happened on both counts.
Old 10-07-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Question, did anyone actually catch that Arthur's "girlfriend" was just a figment of his imagination? Just curious if there was any underlying clues before the big reveal that none of it was real.
The only serious gripe I had with the movie was the scene in which they reveal this. When she catches him in her apartment and freaks out, I "got it." But then the movie feels the need to treat its audience as if they are stupid and tacks on a few shots showing him on his "dates" with her and then showing him alone - we DIDN'T need that and I wouldn't be surprised if it's something the director was told to tack on because test audiences didn't "get it."

That said, I'm glad they DIDN'T spoon-feed us the ending in Arkham, from which one can imply (just like in The Usual Suspects) that everything that came before wasn't the Joker's actual origin, but just a story the Joker had made up in his head. The key to that scene is when he says "I just thought of a joke...you wouldn't get it." I love how ambiguous that scene is - allowing viewers to have multiple theories about what they just saw (and placating DC fans who insist that the Joker's origin should never be told).

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-07-19 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Fantastic and haunting performance. Loves the score as well. This is now my cannon origin for Batman. A random mugging that lead to murder vs a full scale riot with Thomas as a target is just better. While the arkham ending leading to ambiguity was OK, I would have preferred it ended with Joker on the car, and Bruce in the ally.
Old 10-07-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am very torn on this movie. It's really well done, and Phoenix's performance is pretty great. I will say that I think the Joker might be one of the greatest roles in cinema history because so many good actors have taken the role, made it their own and made it memorable(even Leto even though he was memorable for the wrong reasons) The set design is great and I liked how it treated the Batman mythos even though I had the ending figured out midway through the movie. This reminded me a lot of The Killing Joke as well in terms of giving an origin to the Joker, and also with how uncomfortable it is to watch. However I don't think that you can say this is really a Joker movie since this Joker has so little in common with the comic book version other than the 15 minutes he's wearing the classic costume. He is a lot older, and he is not a criminal mastermind.I don't know it feels like it could be a Joker story, but it also doesn't feel like a Joker story, even though with the ending you could surmise that the entire movie was just Joker lying to the psychiatrist. The really frustrating thing is that it seems like Phoenix could have been an amazing Joker with the laugh, the mannerisms and everything he brought. Still I think this is a movie that brings a lot to the table to digest and I applaud it for doing something different. 4/5.
Old 10-07-19, 08:33 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That said, I'm glad they DIDN'T spoon-feed us the ending in Arkham, from which one can imply (just like in The Usual Suspects) that everything that came before wasn't the Joker's actual origin, but just a story the Joker had made up in his head. The key to that scene is when he says "I just thought of a joke...you wouldn't get it." I love how ambiguous that scene is - allowing viewers to have multiple theories about what they just saw (and placating DC fans who insist that the Joker's origin should never be told).
Wow. I hadn't considered that, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.

I also loved how, in the last scene, you see Joker leaving bloody footprints and they DIDN'T pan over to show that he killed the psychiatrist. That made it way more eerie.
Old 10-07-19, 10:43 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Phoenix does not sound close minded to a sequel in this interview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7WqVB7OcERU?start=1261" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-07-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 432 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I also loved how, in the last scene, you see Joker leaving bloody footprints and they DIDN'T pan over to show that he killed the psychiatrist. That made it way more eerie.
Same here... took me a couple steps to realize they were red and that he did indeed kill the shrink.
Old 10-07-19, 11:00 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
i saw those right away and loved it. didn't need to see anything else...
Old 10-07-19, 01:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Meh.

2.5/5
Old 10-08-19, 07:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are into Marvel films with lots of glitz then this one isn't for you. If you like character driven films that say more with the unwritten text then this was brilliant!
Old 10-08-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

I guess this is a positive. It’s the first I’ve heard about the ending so I guess this went from a hard pass to a library rental.
Old 10-08-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
If you are into Marvel films with lots of glitz then this one isn't for you. If you like character driven films that say more with the unwritten text then this was brilliant!
I'm into both (at least when Marvel films were good), but this still was just "Ok". I really have no plans to see it again and I don't much care if they were to produce a sequel with him/Bats.
Old 10-08-19, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Old 10-08-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 183 Posts

Giving them the benefit of the doubt that it didn't turn into a riot until mid Zorro. There is no way Thomas Wayne takes his wife and kid to a movie in the middle of a protest where protesters are wearing costumes based off a comment that Thomas Wayne made. Other than tying the death of the Waynes in and the stolen Fight Club shots others have complained about I really enjoyed the film.
Old 10-08-19, 11:35 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Also, I wouldn’t take a 10 year old to Blow Out or Zorro the Gay Blade.
Old 10-08-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Shopping bags I’d rather drop off at my car than lug them around.
and that might not be the safest option in this day and age.
Old 10-08-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Giving them the benefit of the doubt that it didn't turn into a riot until mid Zorro. There is no way Thomas Wayne takes his wife and kid to a movie in the middle of a protest where protesters are wearing costumes based off a comment that Thomas Wayne made. Other than tying the death of the Waynes in and the stolen Fight Club shots others have complained about I really enjoyed the film.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that too. Seemed like a stretch that they’d be out in the midst of all the shit going down. I suppose you could say that they went out to the movie before Arthur/Joker went on the air and before the protesters started for the night, but even in that case you would think they’d realize what was happening before leaving the theater and either stay put or call Alfred or a cab or something rather than just going out into everything.
Old 10-08-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino

I guess this is a positive. It’s the first I’ve heard about the ending so I guess this went from a hard pass to a library rental.
I was on the border about seeing the movie...it's far more "art house" than it is anything else. The comparisons to The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver are spot-on. Not only in terms of plot and visuals, but in terms of quality. At the very least, a lot of "comic book movie" people are getting a chance to see what a real "film" looks like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.