Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
16.00%
26.67%
29.33%
9.33%
8.00%
5.33%
1.33%
2.67%
1.33%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Spoiler:
I liked that the film initially had us believing that maybe Penny and Thomas had an affair and that Arthur is their child, but the twist later that Penny is also crazy and made that story up in her own mind.

Had they gone straight with that storyline and made Arthur related to the Wayne’s I’d have hated it, but I feel that twist was actually pretty clever.

Regarding the Wayne’s, it seems like filmmakers infinitely want to show their deaths on-screen. It tied into the film I suppose, but it seems like something that any film involving Batman or even his characters fall back on.
Old 10-05-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

You don't need to spoilerize your thoughts, this is a free for all thread.

If anyone reads this without watching the movie, then it's their own fault.
Old 10-05-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just figured some people might get pissy if I revealed something rather big like that.
Old 10-05-19, 03:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I am surprised mate, I think this was telegraphed right to the viewer practically from her first scene. The fact she finds it amusing that he did the fingers to the head after walking out of the elevator seemed off. Every scene from then on seemed obvious she was not really there, I even said it to myself when I saw her in the hospital with him. Her going to the comedy routine and laughing, and especially him walking into her apartment and kissing her were very obviously delusions. The fact it showed the scene demonstrating the fact he had simply been imagining her in these scenarios I felt was uneeded. We got all the explanation we needed by him being in her apartment and she barely knew him and asked him to leave. I recall when I saw Fight Club for the first time I quickly caught on to the fact that Tyler Durden isn't real and was probably a figment of his imagination simply because I noticed most of the actors were not looking at him directly or acknowledging him in their scenes. Plus the splices basically spell it out as well. That's almost like the character being created by Ed Nortons mind. Like a car engine spluttering and starting with the roar of the gas being Tyler Durden.

The one thing I have thought about since seeing the movie is how much of the whole movie could be considered a delusion. The whole thing could be in his mind except the two scenes showing him in the asylum, and even that final scene comes off as a delusion with the comedic back and forth running from security. His mother, Thomas Wayne, Gotham itself could all simply be figments of his imagination. And that's where this movies strength really lies I think, it's open to so much interpretation and will keep people talking for some time to come. Personally I consider the shit parts of his life to be real, he did get invited onto the show, he did kill the people he killed, but he had no triumphs. Any success or positivity he attains in this movie is only in his imagination.
I’m sort of glad my brain doesn’t work this way. Being surprised often if the best thing about going to films. I was completely shocked to find the relationship wasn’t real.
Old 10-05-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this today at noon. Great way to avoid the crazy people. Phoenix was mesmerizing and the dance on the steps pretty much embodied the character with whom we are familiar IMO. The whole talk show sequence was probably meant as a wink to fans of the Dark Knight Returns GN. I didn't really care for Thomas Wayne being portrayed as a dickhead, but maybe that's more likely. The end of the movie really left me wanting to see a true Batman story in this universe. In fact, the only reason I won't rank Phoenix's portrayal above Ledger's is because we never truly see him interact with Batman (the young Bruce scene doesn't count IMO, but it does give good foreshadowing), and I think I would have to see how he reacts to that character to make a true call. Batman and the Joker are a huge influence on each other, and until you have them both neither portrayal feels complete to me.

My dream trilogy, all in this universe and rated R:
1)Joker
2)Batman movie that has Joker as one of the villains, or at least alludes to their past
3) A Batman movie that more or less adapts The Killing Joke. Not the one with Batman getting jiggy with Batgirl, and no need for the origin story. Just a version that keeps the dynamic of the characters alive without being a direct copy. This one could happen after Batman has been established. If not this, then maybe a one shot adaptation of Arkham Asylum with Phoenix returning in the role.
Old 10-05-19, 05:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Joker...what an amazing, mesmerizing performance (Phoenix) and movie. a true study in the rise of a psychotic in a city and state of society that was already crumbling around him. that scene at end when he rose from cop car after being smashed by ambulance was just incredible. i loved every bit of this film. the score when he became his true self was awesome as well. i hope people notice that. he should get nominated, he should get Oscar. this was just one of the best origin stories in any universe i have seen to date. and tying to the Batman universe and
Spoiler:
showing the killing of the Wayne's with Bruce watching
was perfect.

Old 10-05-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I predict a large drop next week , I wonder if this weekend's large $$ take may help persuade WB to make another movie in this setting and give us a full on Batman/Joker story?
Old 10-05-19, 05:57 PM

Why wouldn’t they? They would be downright silly not to. They be pulling a “DC”. Oh, wait...

I was a little bummed didn’t see Tenet trailer. Was looking forward to, but alas.
Old 10-05-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My review is that the director of the Hangover and Old School gave us quite possibly the best movie of the year and possibly the best DC movie.

from beginning to end, this movie had me wanting more. This gave us the mind of a notorious villain that we didn’t understand. It gave us the true modern day look at a psychotic city going to shit and a man that was crazy enough to come to terms with his insanity. It’s insane how Phoenix commanded your attention in each scene he was in.

and to echo what others have said, the score had you feeling the madness throughout the film. The Score has you going through the motions with anyone in the film.

if I were Warner Bros, I would open the checkbook to Todd and anyone associated with this film. I saw Bradley Cooper produced it so even get him on board. This is what separates DC from Marvel. They can do these types with real world consequences.

funny tidbits, Martha and Thomas Wayne died in the alley way I walk through everyday to take the train to NY. Also, the theater they were filming was also in Jersey city. There is where I saw Batman so long ago.

Best Movie this year.
Old 10-05-19, 07:40 PM

I wouldn’t exactly say modern day. I mean I think we’re talking 80’s Gotham/NYC. The setting, cabs, cop cars were 80’s for sure, if I’m not mistaken...
Old 10-05-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I wouldn’t exactly say modern day. I mean I think we’re talking 80’s Gotham/NYC. The setting, cabs, cop cars were 80’s for sure, if I’m not mistaken...
oh I know. I mean in a real universe.
Old 10-05-19, 09:39 PM

I did see new SW trailer and realized the end of 9 movie epic series. Got chills, footage I hadn’t seen. Rey with a red double-saber...wow. Had chills.
Old 10-05-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While I predict a large drop next week , I wonder if this weekend's large $$ take may help persuade WB to make another movie in this setting and give us a full on Batman/Joker story?
Sure, they could do that, but it won't be with Phillips/Phoenix. I mean, they could offer them a shitload of money, but Phoenix doesn't seem like the guy to take 20 million payday.

I think that's why this film, ironic as it may seem considering the subject matter, is a one and done.
Old 10-05-19, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I liked it but didn't loved it. The whole Thomas Wayne being a rich dick take is something new and wasn't too thrilled about it because it almost made it look like the Wayne's deserved to be murdered. The reason Bruce Wayne has a high moral ground when it comes to crime fighting is because of the good type of people Thomas and Martha were.
Old 10-05-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sure, they could do that, but it won't be with Phillips/Phoenix. I mean, they could offer them a shitload of money, but Phoenix doesn't seem like the guy to take 20 million payday.

I think that's why this film, ironic as it may seem considering the subject matter, is a one and done.
I think that for as good as this movie is it really is best that it is a stand-alone film and not part of something larger though. In fact I think I'd have more apprehensions against it if I knew this was the origin to The Joker that's to come in a series of films. The tweaks made to the character (and side characters like Thomas Wayne) are acceptable to me because it feels like this is a Elseworlds film that's contained to itself.

Also, as good as Phoenix is I really am not sure I'd be able to buy his Joker against a Batman. I think if that were to happen it would likely end up being too much like The Dark Knight, which as beloved as that film is I don't want to see another version of Batman like that (really hope Reeves takes the character in a more comic book direction rather than crime dramas featuring Batman characters).
Old 10-06-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Does Joaquin's performance as the Joker top Cesar Romero's?
Old 10-06-19, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Did anyone else feel like the film alluded to the possibility that Penny WASN'T crazy and that Thomas Wayne had her institutionalized to cover up the fact that she had his child. I need to watch it again, but it would fall in line with the depiction of Thomas Wayne in this film and also Penny never once changing her story throughout the years. I feel like maybe Thomas Wayne with his wealth and power destroyed her life on so many levels that she went legitimately crazy. Thus making it easy to dismiss Penny's paternity claims.

I thought the film was pretty good. But much like Baby Driver, I thought it hit the audience over the head with its influences to the point that it sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the film for me. It was just SO derivative of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. I still managed to enjoy it, but I was expecting more. Phoenix was sublime. I'd like to see a film where his Joker character squares off against his "You Were Never Really Here" character. It would be interesting if the Robert Pattinson Batman movie was a sequel to this. Even with the problems I have with the film, I'd love to see JP play the character again.

7/10
Old 10-06-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is there any after credit sequence? If someone could pm me I would appreciate...
Last year I discovered this site, which has been a godsend. I check it every time I'm at the theater and waiting for a movie to start. Whats After The Credits? | The Definitive After Credits Film Catalog Service

As for Joker, I loved it. Such a tragic story. Joaquin hit it out of the park. I'm going to see it again at some point with a friend of mine who is a mental health counselor for violent criminals. I saw Glass with her and picked her brain about the portrayal of her field afterwards. (That movie was inaccurate. Ha.)

There was a cop in the lobby of my theater last night, but I think there's usually one present there every Friday and Saturday night. No bag checks or anything.

I stumbled upon this series of "pitch meetings" a few weeks ago and have greatly enjoyed them. He just made one for Joker (not his best, but still amusing):

Old 10-06-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I would love to see this Joker interact with Batman, I too understand the whole "elseworlds" aspect. There is a theory out there that after Arthur stops taking his meds the whole movie is a fantasy and he's just someone sitting in Arkham imagining this whole Joker persona. There is yet another that the whole movie is a fantasy save for the last minute and Arthur is just some dude in any random hospital who is using the Joker character as his "id" to deal with his situation, maybe he read too many comics...:shrugs:

I was also somewhat intrigued when I saw Bradley Cooper's name listed as one of the producers. This got the gears in my head working and made me think of the possibility of a one off Arkham Asylum movie (wasn't that GN considered something of an elseworlds title as well?) where we could see him playing a version of Two-Face along with Phoenix's Joker. Of course that's pure dream casting. If WB wanted to go all out they could add Lady GaGa into the mix as Poison Ivy, but she wasn't in the original GN.
Old 10-06-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Last year I discovered this site, which has been a godsend. I check it every time I'm at the theater and waiting for a movie to start. Whats After The Credits? The Definitive After Credits Film Catalog Service
I have an app on my phone called After Credits -- that usually tells me if there's anything midway through and after.
Old 10-06-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Did anyone else feel like the film alluded to the possibility that Penny WASN'T crazy and that Thomas Wayne had her institutionalized to cover up the fact that she had his child. I need to watch it again, but it would fall in line with the depiction of Thomas Wayne in this film and also Penny never once changing her story throughout the years. I feel like maybe Thomas Wayne with his wealth and power destroyed her life on so many levels that she went legitimately crazy. Thus making it easy to dismiss Penny's paternity claims.

I thought the film was pretty good. But much like Baby Driver, I thought it hit the audience over the head with its influences to the point that it sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the film for me. It was just SO derivative of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. I still managed to enjoy it, but I was expecting more. Phoenix was sublime. I'd like to see a film where his Joker character squares off against his "You Were Never Really Here" character. It would be interesting if the Robert Pattinson Batman movie was a sequel to this. Even with the problems I have with the film, I'd love to see JP play the character again.

7/10
Yeah.. I'm in that group and it's one of the reasons I didn't care for this film. It also didn't help that the actor that played Wayne was also that sleazy congressman in TDK.
Old 10-06-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s hard to say about Penny for certain. I mean when we saw her in the film she seemed like a somewhat normal older woman who was just worn down by time and with some health issues. She didn’t really exhibit signs of being crazy, unless she was delusional about her relationship with Thomas and kept trying to contact him.

I didn’t pick up on the flashbacks about her being crazy maybe being false, but thinking about it a bit more maybe I could see that. Especially since the version of Thomas Wayne in this film seems to be a scumbag.
Old 10-06-19, 11:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Movie is making lots of money
Old 10-06-19, 11:24 AM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Just happy to NOT hear any incel nonsense thus far.
Old 10-06-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This is a 100% standalone Elseworlds movie. I see no need for a sequel or some tie-in to Pattinson's Batman. I don't think that's what Phoenix signed up for. It's a movie about a challenged man's descent into murder and madness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.