Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
16.00%
26.67%
29.33%
9.33%
8.00%
5.33%
1.33%
2.67%
1.33%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Joker (Phillips, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I walked out of the theater Sunday really liking it. It's only gotten better in my mind since they. I am not a massive comic book movie guy, (Still catching up on the Marvels) but I thought this was great. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing.

4.5 out of 5 for me...
Old 10-09-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that too. Seemed like a stretch that they’d be out in the midst of all the shit going down. I suppose you could say that they went out to the movie before Arthur/Joker went on the air and before the protesters started for the night, but even in that case you would think they’d realize what was happening before leaving the theater and either stay put or call Alfred or a cab or something rather than just going out into everything.
No way a tycoon like Thomas Wayne would be taking his family to a regular movie theater on a weeknight, esp. those two movies, riot or no riot. He'd be used to private screenings and such. I figure the writer and director felt a last-minute need to shoehorn the Bruce Wayne origin story into the narrative and this was the only way they could make it dramatically plausible without having to rewrite a significant portion of the script. It struck me as an idea they had during the writing process and then they completely forgot to put it in till they started shooting. But I'm glad they did it anyway. It gave it a tie-in to the rest of the Batman saga.

I thought that was Alec Baldwin in the role of Thomas Wayne until I read the cast list at the end. It sure looked like Baldwin to me. Maybe I'd read the reports of Baldwin originally being cast in the role way back when and it just stayed with me.
Old 10-09-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I thought that was Alec Baldwin in the role of Thomas Wayne until I read the cast list at the end. It sure looked like Baldwin to me. Maybe I'd read the reports of Baldwin originally being cast in the role way back when and it just stayed with me.
Yeah, I would have liked to see Baldwin in that part, but he probably didn't find anything in that role that he liked (Wayne is pretty one-key here).

With that in mind, am I the only one who thought Thomas and Martha were cast way too OLD? The actor playing Thomas (Brett Cullen) is 63. The actress playing Martha (Carrie Louise Putrello) looks younger (IMDB doesn't list an age), but the movie makes her look as if she's at least in her 50's.

Compare that to Justice League, where Jeffrey Dean Morgan (early 50s) and Lauren Cohan (mid 30s) played the Waynes.
Old 10-09-19, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

No way a tycoon like Thomas Wayne would be taking his family to a regular movie theater on a weeknight, esp. those two movies, riot or no riot. He'd be used to private screenings and such. I figure the writer and director felt a last-minute need to shoehorn the Bruce Wayne origin story into the narrative and this was the only way they could make it dramatically plausible without having to rewrite a significant portion of the script. It struck me as an idea they had during the writing process and then they completely forgot to put it in till they started shooting. But I'm glad they did it anyway. It gave it a tie-in to the rest of the Batman saga.

Sooo glad that Baldwin was not in the film. That would have really made think twice about seeing it as I have zero desire to give any money to that clown.
Old 10-09-19, 11:20 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This is where someone is supposed to say you are a triggered Trump lover.

I’ve never had the chance to do it so I’ll give it a try. Wee. That was fun.
Old 10-09-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

As someone who vividly remembers NYC in the 1970s and '80s, I was most impressed with the production design. They shot all over New York, as well as in Jersey City and Newark, NJ, but I wish I could find a list of actual locations used. Some were familiar to me, some weren't. And how'd they get Times Square to look like it used to? And where'd they find all those movie theater marquees? IMDB lists only generic locations for the film, e.g., Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem, New York, NY, Jersey City and Newark. But I want more specific info, e.g. specific train stations used. (I know that one big scene of the clown riot takes place at the Bedford Park Blvd. station, one of my old stomping grounds). And what building did they use as a stand-in for Arkham State Hospital? I imagine some CGI was used, but if so, I couldn't tell what.
Old 10-09-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, I would have liked to see Baldwin in that part, but he probably didn't find anything in that role that he liked (Wayne is pretty one-key here).

With that in mind, am I the only one who thought Thomas and Martha were cast way too OLD? The actor playing Thomas (Brett Cullen) is 63. The actress playing Martha (Carrie Louise Putrello) looks younger (IMDB doesn't list an age), but the movie makes her look as if she's at least in her 50's.

Compare that to Justice League, where Jeffrey Dean Morgan (early 50s) and Lauren Cohan (mid 30s) played the Waynes.
I didn’t even realize how old the actor playing Thomas was. I wouldn’t have guessed he’s 63. He maybe looked a bit old to have a kid Bruce’s age, but that does happen in the real world. Martha we barely saw so I hardly noticed how old the actress playing her looked.
Old 10-09-19, 12:31 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
Sooo glad that Baldwin was not in the film. That would have really made think twice about seeing it as I have zero desire to give any money to that clown.
By seeing the movie, didn't you end up giving your money to a clown anyway?
Old 10-09-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anyone else take note of the fact that this didn't have the whole "DCEU" logo and animatics before it started? It was just the old school WB logo from the early 80s. That could kind of solidify the claim that it's an elseworlds entry.
Old 10-10-19, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my favorite movie of the year so far. I wasn't expecting much after seeing it got a 69% on RT. Not sure how it is that low? I can't stand Robert De Niro as a person, so I gotta admit that I really enjoyed one particular scene in the movie. Give Phoenix actor of the year right now.
Old 10-10-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As someone who vividly remembers NYC in the 1970s and '80s, I was most impressed with the production design. They shot all over New York, as well as in Jersey City and Newark, NJ, but I wish I could find a list of actual locations used. Some were familiar to me, some weren't. And how'd they get Times Square to look like it used to? And where'd they find all those movie theater marquees? IMDB lists only generic locations for the film, e.g., Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem, New York, NY, Jersey City and Newark. But I want more specific info, e.g. specific train stations used. (I know that one big scene of the clown riot takes place at the Bedford Park Blvd. station, one of my old stomping grounds). And what building did they use as a stand-in for Arkham State Hospital? I imagine some CGI was used, but if so, I couldn't tell what.
For those wondering, the movie is set in July 1981. There's a theater marquee with the titles "Blow Out" and "Zorro The Gay Blade" on it in the movie. Both films were released in July 1981.
Old 10-10-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the theater where martha and thomas wayne left was the old Jersey city theater(Lowes) located in Journal square. The Alley way where they were killed is right next to it. Fun fact, there is an amazing hot dog place right next door called Boulevard Drinks. Its fucking magical.
Old 10-10-19, 08:09 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry for noticing it was pretty obvious his lady neighbor wasn’t really in any of those scenes outside the elevator scene, especially after he comes to her door and sexually assaults her immediately after she opens the door, but it’s portrayed as a romantic gesture.

Film was near perfect, though agree with some of the character motivations not making much sense (the guy selling the gun), and Bruce Wayne letting some stranger touch his mouth (riiiight) as being off. Also, the talk show host continuing an interview with a guy he’s pretty sure was a murderer didn’t ring true, but it pays off more or less for the film’s ending.
Old 10-10-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
the theater where martha and thomas wayne left was the old Jersey city theater(Lowes) located in Journal square. The Alley way where they were killed is right next to it. Fun fact, there is an amazing hot dog place right next door called Boulevard Drinks. Its fucking magical.
I'm in that area next month, thanks for the recommendation
Old 10-10-19, 08:27 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Here's some of the Jersey locations: https://www.nj.com/entertainment/201...d-billing.html
Old 10-12-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

went to a late morning showing today, terrific 3.5/4 for me.. really good origin story...
Old 10-13-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I absolutely loved it. The look, the feel, the performances. Absolutely fantastic. It was slow as hell, but I enjoyed every minute of it. It is going to be great that the only 2 comic book Oscars could both potentially be from the same character, portrayed by 2 different actors. Probably my favorite movie of the year so far, and might be my favorite of the past few years.
Old 10-13-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked this more than I thought I would, even if it's so much of a homage/tribute to Taxi Driver/King of Comedy that it starts to feel like plagiarism. (See also Tarantino's Kill Bill, which seemed a lot less jazzy than I first thought when I finally got around to seeing Lady Snowblood). Phoenix singlehandedly lifts it from OK to near-great, I thought, and at the moment he seems like a shoo-in for Best Actor nod and probably a win, which he deserves in general at this point in his career. I did like how they tied the Batman mythos in more than I thought, even if it's a weird alternate version (I mean, if Batman finally "grows up" and fights the Joker he'd be beating up a senior citizen at that point). The scene at the gate genuinely gave me chills. For all the bitching about DC movies, they're really taking an interesting path now with Aquaman/Shazam/Joker all in a row like this.
Old 10-13-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think DC has gotten a bit better. Still not perfect, but I’ve enjoyed more of their recent output. Shazam! I liked quite a bit and Joker is pretty good as well. Aquaman was decent but I haven’t had the desire to go back and watch it. It seems like The Batman should be good.
Old 10-13-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts

Ended up seeing an IMAX showing on Thursday morning. Ticket taker said I was the only one in there so far. So right up until the first trailer started, I had the whole IMAX to myself, then 2 guys came in.
Anyway, great movie. Joaquin was great. Cinematography was great.
I left feeling a little sad for Arthur.

I think the only thing I could complain about is this is probably going to be a one off. And since the whole thing was basically an origin, it was the longest origin ever. I wasn't sure about the laugh in the early going, but it grew on me by the end.

"Dark" stuff doesn't bother me at all, especially entertainment since it's not real. But, anytime a son is giving their mother a bath, there's going to be trouble.
Old 10-14-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Saw this Friday and enjoyed it - will pick it up on disc when it comes out. Solid 4 out of 5. Great buildup of tension throughout the film, even if it was obvious he was going to kill the host.

As far as Phoenix’s performance, it was great but I still rank Ledger’s Joker ahead of this. Phoenix is already a weird guy so I expect him to be able to give this kind of performance. Ledger’s performance on the other hand was completely unexpected and mesmerizing.

Old 10-14-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

How many times have the deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne been depicted on TV and in movies?
Old 10-15-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
How many times have the deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne been depicted on TV and in movies?
This should be its own thread, but let's see:

Batman (1989)
Gotham (TV Series)
Batman: Year One (animated movie)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (animated movie)
Batman Begins
Batman v Superman
Joker

What am I missing?
Old 10-15-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Along the same lines, when did the Martha's string of pearls (which break and scatter) become part of the scenario?
Old 10-15-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Along the same lines, when did the Martha's string of pearls (which break and scatter) become part of the scenario?
Thinking this was a visual nod to the other movies. There was also a shot with Joker in the police car which was very reminiscent of Dark Knight when Ledger is in the police car - same type of shot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.