Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Home Sweet Home Alone (2021, D: Mazer) S: Archie Yates, Ellie Kemper, Rob Delaney

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Home Sweet Home Alone (2021, D: Mazer) S: Archie Yates, Ellie Kemper, Rob Delaney

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 10:14 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Back in August, Disney chief Robert Iger announced that the studio would be developing reboots/re-imaginings of several family-friendly hits for its forthcoming streaming service Disney+, including Home Alone. At the time, we said that Dan Mazer was the top choice to direct, and now Collider can report that Mazer is in talks to direct the movie.

Saturday Night Live‘s Mikey Day and Streeter Seidell co-wrote the script, which is expected to follow a married couple who go to war with a young boy who has stolen something from them — a twist on the original premise of a young boy who goes to war with a pair of inept thieves looking to rob his house.

Hutch Parker will produce alongside Dan Wilson, who serves as the president of Hutch Parker Entertainment. Production is expected to start in the first quarter of 2020, so expect casting to get underway soon. As I wrote two months ago, Melissa McCarthy has been rumored to be Disney’s top target for the Home Alone reboot, but she’s not officially attached yet, according to sources. Still, a McCarthy-Will Ferrell pairing on this Disney+ project would surely boost subscriptions to the nascent streaming service, which will need A-list stars to compliment its impressive library of IP.

Of course, the ultimate success of the Home Alone reboot will hinge on the casting of its young star, and while the role is written for a boy, I still think Disney+ should be doing everything possible to get into business with Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood star Julia Butters, who went toe-to-toe with Leonardo DiCaprio and stood her ground. The studio should consider gender-flipping the role if she’s available, but if not, they should look at Good Boys star Brady Noon, who was hilarious as the foul-mouthed Thor and brought a certain sweetness to that role. He might be a couple years too old for the part, though, if they’re intent on casting a 9-year-old.

The original Home Alone grossed more than $475 million grossed worldwide, making it the #1 movie of 1990. Its 1992 sequel, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, took in $358 million worldwide, so the decision to reboot the Fox franchise makes a lot of sense. Fox has suffered a notable string of flops since the studio officially merged with Disney, though Ford v Ferrari is right around the corner and expected to be a hit with both critics and audiences, judging from its reception at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Mazer is a longtime Sacha Baron Cohen collaborator who also wrote and produced Bruno, executive produced The Dictator, and served as writer-director on the comedian’s divisive Showtime series Who Is America? He also directed Dirty Grandpa and I Give It a Year, and wrote Office Christmas Party and Bridget Jones’s Baby. His next film, the teen comedy The Exchange, stars Ed Oxenbould, Avan Jogia and Justin Hartley. Mazer is represented by CAA, 3 Arts Entertainment and United Agents.

Seidell is a veteran comedy scribe who came out of the CollegeHumor scene, while SNL star Day was recently seen in Brittany Runs a Marathon and Universal’s Little. He’ll soon be seen in Adam Sandler‘s next Netflix movie Hubie Halloween. He’s repped by ICM Partners, while WME and Artists First rep Seidell. The Observer broke the news of their hiring.
Home Alone Reboot: Dan Mazer in Talks to Direct for Disney Plus | Collider
Old 10-02-19, 10:34 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Home Sweet Home Alone (2021, D: Mazer) S: Archie Yates, Ellie Kemper, Rob Delaney

There was a part 2 with Culkin and a part 3 with a different kid. That was a sort of reboot was it not? And then wasn’t there a TV movie version? I have this feeling there was.
Old 10-02-19, 10:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Home Sweet Home Alone (2021, D: Mazer) S: Archie Yates, Ellie Kemper, Rob Delaney

Part 3 wasn't a reboot, just another kid with shitty parents who has to defend himself from thieves. I'm very surprised there wasn't one with a girl in the same situation.

And per iMDB, it looks like they made 2 direct to video movies, Home Alone 4: Taking Back the House, and Home Alone: The Holiday Heist. Kind of sad, but it looks like John Hughes wrote Home Alone 3 as well. Yikes.
Old 10-02-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

This doesn’t bother me much considering that the three sequels beyond the first two already exist. Can’t do much more damage to the name.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-15-21)
Old 10-02-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Am I on an island in thinking that even the first movie sucked balls? I found it pretty much unwatchable.
Old 10-02-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Part 3 wasn't a reboot, just another kid with shitty parents who has to defend himself from thieves. I'm very surprised there wasn't one with a girl in the same situation.

And per iMDB, it looks like they made 2 direct to video movies, Home Alone 4: Taking Back the House, and Home Alone: The Holiday Heist. Kind of sad, but it looks like John Hughes wrote Home Alone 3 as well. Yikes.
Isn't that what a reboot is? The exact same premise with different characters? I guess they didn't reuse the names but I don't remember much of if any connection with the original movies.

Also, if the kid really stole something and it's not a misunderstanding, I'm going to have a hard time rooting for the kid.
Old 10-02-19, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

I meant reboot in the sense that new movies would have the same characters. Each sequel after the second has different kids.
Old 10-02-19, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
I meant reboot in the sense that new movies would have the same characters. Each sequel after the second has different kids.
One of the shitty DTV ones has Kevin and his (divorced) parents and Marv.
Old 10-02-19, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
Am I on an island in thinking that even the first movie sucked balls? I found it pretty much unwatchable.
It’s mildly enjoyable. The “looney tunes type violence come to life” thing is cliche now, but at the time it was very novel. I think the backlash comes from it being extremely popular. It made $500 million bucks. It’s like the dumbest movie to ever make that much money.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-02-19 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

*Shrug*

I think they should have Catherine O'Hara and Eugine Levy as the kids grandparents, making rich people bad decisions.
Old 10-02-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in as long as Culkin comes back as the father in the reboot
Old 10-02-19, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

He's ready for it.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-15-21)
Old 10-02-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

As a kid I enjoyed the ones with Culkin, but never liked the ones with the other kids.

I'll probably check this one out anyways.
Old 10-03-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I saw a sneak preview of Home Alone back in 1990 and thought it was awful (I only mention the fact that it was an early viewing lest anyone think I set my expectations high given how well it did). Then again, I've NEVER been a fan of slapstick/pratfall humor, so that has a lot to do with it. I think the 3 Stooges are horrible as well.
Old 10-03-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

It’s mildly enjoyable. The “looney tunes type violence come to life” thing is cliche now, but at the time it was very novel. I think the backlash comes from it being extremely popular. It made $500 million bucks. It’s like the dumbest movie to ever make that much money.
Somebody sold their soul to Satan to get the grosses up on that piece of shit.
Old 10-03-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Somebody sold their soul to Satan to get the grosses up on that piece of shit.
Come on, it was a fun movie! In 1990 freaking Steven Segal and Van Damme were raking in just as much... talk about unwatchable pieces of shit (and I supported every one of them).
Old 10-03-19, 08:10 AM

I would imagine if you weren't a kid or young-ish when it came out it wouldn't be that great to you. I watched it (and the sequel) all the time. I even had a Talkboy. My parents seemed to like it though. My wife and I reference and quote it all the time.
Old 10-03-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Most people I know love the original Home Alone. Many even consider it the quintessential Christmas movie. I really enjoyed them as a child and don't mind them watching them when they are playing on TV. But for true Christmas spirit I go to Its a Wonderful Life, Chuck Jones' Grinch special or the many Christmas Carol adaptations.

As far as remakes. Its impossible for it to be any good and the only way they can get people to actually watch it is if somehow they can get Culkin, but he is wayyyyy over those movies.

Btw you guys should watch his apperances on Red Letter Media. They are awesome
Old 10-03-19, 09:08 AM
Banned

Yeah I’ve seen him pop up in those, but I’ve never seen an explanation of how he knows those guys.

The original Home Alone is no masterpiece, but the thing I like about it is not its slapstick but rather the direction Hughes takes in the screenplay that Kevin is wise beyond his years.

Just as when Ferris Bueller takes his day off he doesn’t go to the arcade or the pizza joint, he goes to the fancy restaurant and the museum, when Kevin is home alone he dutifully pretends to shave and he goes to the grocery store. Things his mom and dad would do. His scene with the grocery store lady is great.
Old 10-03-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I don't know why its even being called a remake. I'm guessing this movie will be on par with the made for tv movies that also had the Home Alone name. I think there were two of them.
Old 10-04-19, 12:57 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I liked the original when it came out. Granted I was 11 then. The best part of that movie is John William's score. I bought the expanded version from LaLa Records a couple of years ago and it's great.
Old 10-04-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Come on, it was a fun movie! In 1990 freaking Steven Segal and Van Damme were raking in just as much... talk about unwatchable pieces of shit (and I supported every one of them).
I don't really harbor it any ill will, I was just quoting Salma Hayek on the subject from Dogma
Old 12-10-19, 06:57 PM

Archie Yates, Ellie Kemper and Rob Delaney will star in Disney Plus’ “Home Alone” reboot.

Dan Mazer is on board to direct the film from a script by Mikey Day and Streeter Seidell.

Sources say Yates will not be playing the iconic Kevin McCallister, but a new character in a similar premise to the original franchise. In the original 1990 film, Kevin, played by Macaulay Culkin, is accidentally left behind while his family heads to Paris over the holidays. During that time, he must protect his house from a pair of burglars, portrayed by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern.

Though originally thought to be Yates’ parents, sources now say Kemper and Delaney will be playing someone else in the film, possibly another couple not related to Yates.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/h...203432212/amp/
Old 12-10-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

The original synopsis said the child was going to war with a couple from whom he stole something. Which I still don't understand how that's Home Alone.

It's my wife's favorite movie, we watch it every year and we just rewatched it with the kids. As implausible as the premise already was, the advent of cell phones makes it even more implausible today... my kids were constantly asking about why the phone lines were out.
Old 12-10-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I watched it (with my kids) for the first time in at least a decade. I still dig it. It's harmless fun. What I did find interesting viewing it as a parent vs. a 14-15 year old is the story of the neighbor. It was such a sweet and endearing plot that it's almost out of place for this kind of film. That and while Kevin is annoying, all the adults and kids in that family are mean spirited assholes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.