Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscar winners who never amounted to much?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscar winners who never amounted to much?

Old 09-11-14, 03:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts
Why do some Oscar winners suck after winning?

Nic Cage
Cuba Gooding Jr.

i don't understand Nic Cage's career. he was simply transformative in Leaving Las Vegas. and then what?

Cuba same thing.

who are the others and why do they start sucking and taking sucky roles only after their Oscar wins?
Old 09-11-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Re: Why do some Oscar winners suck after winning?

Because the Academy Awards aren't a real measure of quality.
Old 09-11-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Because after they win, people throw lots of crappy scripts at them and lots of money to do them. Artistic ambitions/respectability/credibility thus go out the window.

Actors like Daniel Day Lewis, who have pride in their work, are thus not affected.
Old 09-11-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Quite a bit of them sucked before and after. Then there are people like Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington and Halle Berry who sucked in their films that they won for.
Old 09-11-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

James Dunn won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, in which he played Francie's alcoholic father, but his career had derailed before then after a promising start in the 1930s and then derailed again afterwards because of his real-life alcoholism. Here's what it says on IMDB:
By the late 1930s he was drinking heavily and became unemployable. He would appear in small roles in films during the early 1940s, but those parts were few and far between. In 1945 he was able to make a comeback and won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), but his rejuvenated career would not continue. By 1951 he would again be unemployed and bankrupt. Television would later supply some work
Old 09-11-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Nic Cage
Cuba Gooding Jr.

i don't understand Nic Cage's career. he was simply transformative in Leaving Las Vegas. and then what?

Cuba same thing.

who are the others and why do they start sucking and taking sucky roles only after their Oscar wins?
lightning in a bottle.
Old 09-11-14, 04:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

^ Cage had done a lot of memorable roles before LLV. Moonstruck standing out...
Old 09-11-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Sometimes a good director can pull a great performance out of a usually so-so actor.
Old 09-11-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Scorsese -> Sharon Stone.
Old 09-11-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Sometimes a good director can pull a great performance out of a usually so-so actor.
True:

Old 09-11-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...ollar-fortune/

Because Nicolas Cage is broke and takes any job he can get to pay his debts.
Old 09-11-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Generally it's because they can now do whatever they want. Which is how Halle Berry ended up in Catwoman and Charlize Theron in the much better but still disappointing Aeon Flux.
Old 09-11-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 947 Likes on 670 Posts

Nicolas Cage's best performance is in Adaptation, which was well after Leaving Las Vegas. He was pretty good in Bad Lieutenant too. He's had a few others as well, but he does a lot of crap because he needs the money. It's not exactly breaking news.
Old 09-11-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

Cage apparently loves living a posh lifestyle and spends money like there is no tomorrow, so he takes any paying project. A lot of Oscar winners don't really deserve it and won it for reasons other than being the best performance.
Old 09-11-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I find it more interesting that there are a bunch of actresses who seem to lose boxoffice or critical clout (or both) after winning the Oscar in the last 10 or 15 years. Witherspoon, Kidman, Zeta Jones, Zellweger, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry, Charleze Theron, Rachel Weisz, to name a few. Portman might be down that path as well.
Old 09-11-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Nicolas Cage's best performance is in Adaptation, which was well after Leaving Las Vegas. He was pretty good in Bad Lieutenant too. He's had a few others as well, but he does a lot of crap because he needs the money. It's not exactly breaking news.
Nicolas Cage is polarizing in the fact that the majority of his films are shit, but he's able to pull off Oscar-caliber performances if he puts in any sort of effort. Joe is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I'm surprised they didn't wait to release it for him to garner some Best Actor buzz.

F. Murray Abraham fell off the face of the Earth, but I don't think his acting ability has diminished. For some reason, though, he only gets crap roles or supporting parts in TV shows.
Old 09-11-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Louis Gossett Jr is another one.
Old 09-11-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jory
Agreed. Always nice to see him show up. I liked seeing him on Elementary (S1E21 "A Landmark Story") and was disappointed that he turned out to be playing one of Moriarty's lackeys rather than the man himself.
He had a recurring role in Seasons 2 and 3 of Homeland. I'm not sure if he's returning for Season 4.

Last thing I saw him in before that was some Syfy movie.
Old 09-11-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by My Other Self
Nicolas Cage is polarizing in the fact that the majority of his films are shit, but he's able to pull off Oscar-caliber performances if he puts in any sort of effort. Joe is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I'm surprised they didn't wait to release it for him to garner some Best Actor buzz. F. Murray Abraham fell off the face of the Earth, but I don't think his acting ability has diminished. For some reason, though, he only gets crap roles or supporting parts in TV shows.
I also like him when the movie is more suited to his ore madcap style-the hyperrealistic world of a John Woo movie, for instance, is perfect for his brand of overacting.
Old 09-12-14, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Nic Cage has done a ton of stuff since Leaving Las Vegas that varies from good, to really good to Great..

The Rock
Face/Off
Bringing Out The Dead
Adaptation
Lord of War
Bad Lieutenant
Joe

And lesser but still pretty good.

The Family Man
Matchstick Men
The Weatherman
Knowing
Kick Ass

And of course he's done a shit heap of crap. But I challenge you to look at the career of Dennis Hopper and tell me Cage is any different. Both great actors with a huge filmography. Both did a LOT of crap, but still managed to do a lot of great work in some classic movies along the way. Except no one dumps on Dennis Hoppers career, even when he was alive.

You shave down Nic Cages entire career to films that are only decent, good and great, and he's still got a stellar and robust filmography for a 46 year old man.
Old 09-12-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Dennis Hopper is one of my favorite actors, but you have a good point. Also, you forgot Raising Arizona on the Nic Cage list.

Bruce Willis, De Niro, and Nicholson fall under the "churn out what you can for $$$" umbrella, but have enough excellent work that it largely overshadows the shit they spit out.
Old 09-12-14, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
^Dennis Hopper is one of my favorite actors, but you have a good point. Also, you forgot Raising Arizona on the Nic Cage list.
That list is just stuff since LLV.
Old 09-12-14, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Nic Cage
Cuba Gooding Jr.

Cuba same thing.

what about "Roberto De Niro" ?
he's life never sucked after winning oscar, it's all depends on acting and direction.
Old 09-12-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Nic Cage has done a ton of stuff since Leaving Las Vegas that varies from good, to really good to Great..

The Rock
Face/Off
Bringing Out The Dead
Adaptation
Lord of War
Bad Lieutenant
Joe

And lesser but still pretty good.

The Family Man
Matchstick Men
The Weatherman
Knowing
Kick Ass

And of course he's done a shit heap of crap. But I challenge you to look at the career of Dennis Hopper and tell me Cage is any different. Both great actors with a huge filmography. Both did a LOT of crap, but still managed to do a lot of great work in some classic movies along the way. Except no one dumps on Dennis Hoppers career, even when he was alive.

You shave down Nic Cages entire career to films that are only decent, good and great, and he's still got a stellar and robust filmography for a 46 year old man.
If that's the best stuff he has done in the past 15 years, then his resume is worse that I thought.
Old 09-12-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm

Dennis Hopper was mostly a character actor the last 30 years or more, and character actors are pretty much expected to have a career that wildly varies in quality. Cage gets more attention because he's been a leading man who presumably can be more choosy about what he does (if it weren't for his debts, I suppose).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.