Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Climbers (2019) -- S: Wu Jing, Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi -- P: Tsui Hark

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Climbers (2019) -- S: Wu Jing, Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi -- P: Tsui Hark

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: The Climbers (2019) -- S: Wu Jing, Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi -- P: Tsui Hark

I appreciate the education of the politics behind Mainland China films. Xie xie.
Old 10-04-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: The Climbers (2019) -- S: Wu Jing, Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi -- P: Tsui Hark

Originally Posted by Mabuse
We’re having what is called a “real film discussion”. Everything can’t be like, “His sword was sooo cool! The wire-fu was soo bad ass! I love Jackie Chan so much from when I was 14 that I’ll see him in anything!”

Originally Posted by DJariya
If I was going to do that, I would have posted a China Film politics and why good HK directors are being sellouts thread. But, I didn't do that and that was not my intention here.
A separate thread would be interesting, but I doubt it would be sustainable since pretty much all mainland Chinese cinema performs the double duty we're discussing here, and it would continually boil down to the "it's propaganda!" vs "it's "Asian cinema" in U.S. theatres" camps.

Nah, I see no reason why films from a country whose government insists that all art discourage individualism and glorify government ideology can't be discussed in that context as well as the entertainment value they provide. It's certainly fine here to discuss certain American films when they blur those lines, so the same should go for films from anywhere else, but especially China, and especially since that country's films seem to be Wellgo's priority when it comes to theatrical releases. In fact, pretty much every professional review of CLIMBERS addresses the glaring propaganda it contains while finding other things to criticize and praise, which is as it should be. Don't want to go that deep? Fine. State your opinions on the entertainment value of the film and move on.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Never expected an in-depth USC film school dissertation on China politics from 2 guys who will never see this movie.
By the way, if you actually bothered to read these 'ramblings', you'd know that I clearly stated that I watch "many, many" Mainland Chinese movies, and why. This one is no exception. My posts are not purely rooted in "personal viewpoints", they're rooted in the screamingly obvious political viewpoints being systematically embedded in virtually every film that comes from China. Be annoyed all you want at the discussion of it, but it's completely valid.

Last edited by Brian T; 10-04-19 at 10:12 AM.