Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First movie you saw at a movie theater without your parents or another older family member?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First movie you saw at a movie theater without your parents or another older family member?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 06:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

What was the first movie that you saw at a movie theater without your parents or another older family member?
Old 09-22-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: First movie you saw at a movie theater without your parents or another older family member?

Pretty sure it was Escape from New York.
Old 09-22-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: First movie you saw at a movie theater without your parents or another older family member?

Not entirely sure, only remember the first R-rated movie I was able to buy my own ticket was Disturbing Behavior in 1998.
Old 09-22-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The hour and a half Nintendo commercial, The Wizard.

Old 09-22-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Often my parents would go to an R-rated movie, and send me and my sister into the theatre next door to see something different (I remember seeing Return of the Jedi during it's 1985 re-release this way).

The first time I walked to the theatre all by myself was to see a matinee of Masters of the Universe. This was the summer of 1987 so I would have been 9, which I guess today would seem too young for me to walk twenty minutes downtown by myself.
Old 09-22-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Terminator 2. I think that's the one where I went by myself. I just went. Saw it twice back-to-back and it was great.
Old 09-22-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

In the summer of 1962, I took my younger sister to see these two films at a theater three blocks away. I was nine and she was seven. It was my first trip to the movies without an older sibling. The first film was Italian (dubbed in English) and more of a melodrama about court intrigue than an ancient spectacle. The second was directed by Robert Aldrich and had an incest subplot.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-23-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

I'm going to just go ahead and curse the OP for this. I'll be thinking of it for the rest of the night, and never remember.
Old 09-22-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

I think it was Beethoven, the one with the big dog. I must have been 10 or 11. My parents let me go with a friend and I remember them giving me a good amount of money, like maybe $20 and buying concessions and having so little change left over to give them back that I still hardly ever buy concessions at the theater now.
Old 09-22-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The first I remember was The Witches. But I think my parents took me to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or something rerelease when I was younger.
Old 09-22-19, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

I think the first one I went to with friends was Rocky II.
Old 09-22-19, 09:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What came out first Robin Hood Prince of Theives or T2?
Old 09-22-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I would’ve liked to have said Return to Oz was the first, but I’m sure it was Jaws 3D. A big group of us kids got dropped off to see that.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Often my parents would go to an R-rated movie, and send me and my sister into the theatre next door to see something different (I remember seeing Return of the Jedi during it's 1985 re-release this way).
Same (As well as having a sister) but it didn’t happen that much. I’ll never forget my sister and I got thrown into seeing Two of a Kind (Bleh) While the folks lucked out by seeing the immortal Uncommon Valor.
Old 09-22-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I don't know. I know the first grown-up movies I saw were The Andromeda Strain and Silent Running. I can't remember if I saw any children's movies without a parent.

While looking up children's movies from the early 70s, I noticed that The Apple Dumpling Gang came out in 1975, three years after I saw The Andromeda Strain. No wonder I thought it was childish when a friend's father took us to see it for my friend's birthday. I'd been watching movies for adults for three years by then. They did much better a year later when they took to see King Kong.
Old 09-22-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Same (As well as having a sister) but it didn’t happen that much. I’ll never forget my sister and I got thrown into seeing Two of a Kind (Bleh) While the folks lucked out by seeing the immortal Uncommon Valor.
The one that sticks in my craw the most was having to go with my sister to see King Ralph while the folks were next door watching Silence of the Lambs.
Old 09-22-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-22-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Thunderball,summer of 1966 my mom dropped me and my best friend off at the Wyandotte,MI theater.
Old 09-22-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Georgy Girl with Lynn Redgrave. My babysitter worked at a movie theater. She wrote me a note so I could get in for free. This is what was playing on the day I decided to use my note. A friend went with me. We were bored.
Old 09-22-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think the first I went to with a friend was the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It came out the October shortly after I had gotten my driver’s license if I recall correctly. It was also the first R rated film I had seen in theaters without someone in my family (first was Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines in June of the same year with my grandpa).
Old 09-22-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Old 09-22-19, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

When I was in grade school there was a little movie theater within walking distance of my house. So I saw some PG and G rated movies there starting in the late 70s. Ones I specifically remember are Grease and The Muppet Movie.
Old 09-23-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

It's been a very long time, but I'm going to guess it was either Pippi Longstocking or Pippi in the South Seas.
Old 09-23-19, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Thunderball,summer of 1966 my mom dropped me and my best friend off at the Wyandotte,MI theater.
For me it was On Her Majesty's Secret Service during Christmas vacation 1969.. A friend and I got dropped off by parents. I was 11.
Old 09-23-19, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

It was either Star Wars or Jaws 2.
Old 09-23-19, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not entirely sure, only remember the first R-rated movie I was able to buy my own ticket was Disturbing Behavior in 1998.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In the summer of 1962, I took my younger sister to see these two films at a theater three blocks away. I was nine and she was seven. It was my first trip to the movies without an older sibling. The first film was Italian (and dubbed in English). The second was directed by Robert Aldrich and had an incest subplot.
We all hang out here as equals, but threads like this make me realize the different pop culture backgrounds we have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.