Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rambo: Last Blood (Grunberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rambo: Last Blood (Grunberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.57%
0%
10.71%
17.86%
21.43%
14.29%
3.57%
17.86%
3.57%
0%
3.57%
What are you high?
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Rambo: Last Blood (Grunberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts
Re: Rambo: Last Blood (Grunberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Grace hated it and pulled the race card on this. They're obliterating her in the comments:

Old 09-20-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've been reading on that other forum that this apparently had a prologue that was deleted for American audiences, which had Rambo assisting law enforcement in some sort of storm where they save some hikers. The thing is that this alternate opening is playing in some foreign territories intact. I think Australia and France have that version.

I was confused because if you look at the IMDB page there are a handful of characters/actors listed that were not in the film I saw.
That would explain the photos of Rambo in the rain wearing a black cowboy hat. I'm sure we'll see some sort of extended edition on 4k/bluray.
Old 09-20-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

A lot of the reviewers I read said the film was racist because all the bad guys are Mexicans, but I'm not sure that works because as best I recall, every single character besides Rambo is as well, including his "family," the journalist, and the doctor. If it was set in say Montana and all the bad guys were Mexican, I could probably see the argument, but it's set in southern Arizona and Mexico. I think there are plenty of valid gripes with the film, but not sure that is one.

I already discussed the white savior trope that's also being mentioned by reviewers in a post above, which again, I'm not sure that theory works since he saves nobody and is a complete idiot during his first rescue attempt, which leads to him failing to rescue her beyond a few fleeting moments.

I would have liked to have seen the girl actually survive so that Rambo wasn't so worthless (the journalist even says that killing the cartel guys won't help anything), and I can think of some ways they could've set up the final battle and a lot of other things better, but alas, I'm not in the screenwriting business. I'd also really like to see the international opening scene, so hopefully it ends up on the physical release. Interesting to see Rambo working alongside a sheriff after all these years...
Old 09-20-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, to add on the opening scene that's in the alternate, there's more footage throughout the film that goes back to the opening and his PTSD coming back throughout the scenes in the tunnels. Basically, it's not just the opening prologue that was excised, but some additional footage throughout the film.
Old 09-20-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got out of this. The script was thinner than the characters, and much of Rambo's writing didn't feel true to his character, but it was alright if you wanna watch Sly fuck up a buncha dudes for 40-ish minutes. Even the ending was boring, sadly, because he was just mowing people down in rapid succession with zero problem and the Big Bad was just Big Bland.

The D.P. should have been the only person getting shot on that set because this movie looked AWFUL. Terrible score, too.

I'd still love to see another entry that scales it back A LOT of feels more akin to First Blood.
Old 09-21-19, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

Last Blood should have been a straight drama. Instead of trying to top the untoppable that was Rambo IV they should have subverted expectations, scaled everything back and told a quiet story of Rambo, and given him the death that Clint Eastwood got in Gran Torino. (which I've said at least 10 times on this board.) Had they done that, and told a more human story, I could have seen Sly getting another nomination like he did with Creed. Plus 5 would have been a great number end on and they could have brought the series full circle. Instead they tried to top IV and it was way too much.
Old 09-21-19, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,699 Likes on 2,659 Posts

David Morrell, the writer of the First Blood book and creator of the Rambo character, hated the movie.

Old 09-21-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But not embarrassed enough to accept the paycheck since his name appears in the credits with "based on characters created by."
Old 09-21-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Rambo: Last Blood (2019, D: Adrian Grunberg) S: Stallone

Thank God I used my Regal Unlimited pass to see this one. Pretty much craps all over the ending and closure they gave the character in the 4th movie.

I think this may have started as another revenge movie and Stallone re-worked it to make it a Rambo movie.
Spoiler:
There were probably other ways to get the cartel after Rambo than the whole scenario where his niece dies and he has to go out for revenge. The whole movie was a plot device to have him go all out on the evil Mexicans at the end. That's it.
Old 09-21-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

But not embarrassed enough to accept the paycheck since his name appears in the credits with "based on characters created by."
I would say he's entitled to the paycheck, the credit, and his opinion on the film. He loved the last one so I don’t think he wanted to dislike this one, it just so happens that he does.
Old 09-21-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He also wrote a version of Rambo 5 with Stallone that was rejected so that it could go back to the cartel story.
Old 09-21-19, 10:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Grace hated it and pulled the race card on this. They're obliterating her in the comments:

Stuckman. What about Stuckman???
Old 09-22-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

Stuckman. What about Stuckman???
Stuckmann hasn't posted a review. I sorry you feel lost now.
Old 09-22-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,297 Likes on 4,306 Posts

Neither here nor there. That’s mandated by the Guild. If you write a sequel screenplay and use characters from the original movie, it has to be so credited. How thrilled do you think Peter Benchley was to get a writing credit in Jaws 3D and Jaws : The Revenge?
Old 09-22-19, 09:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Stuckmann hasn't posted a review. I sorry you feel lost now.
Then someone needs to check on Stuckman. Besides, I saw this yesterday and it was okay. In comparison to the last one, that had a bit more “holy shit” moments than this one. And damn was this short.
Old 09-22-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Jack Reacher 2 is probably the best comparison I can think of... just very poor film making on even the most basic level...your left scratching your head why it looked like nobody cared making this movie. (Including Sly sorry to say)

Maybe it'll play a little better at home on a lazy afternoon.... about the best I can say for it.
Old 09-22-19, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved this movie. I don’t remember watching the other Rambos, so I have nothing to compare it to. But, I loved the fast pace nonstop action/violence. The kills were very well done. One of the best movies I’ve seen all year.
Old 09-22-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot. It's a bit hard to watch, especially the parts with the sex trafficker's and the victims but I can't lie and say that I didn't enjoy it enough because I did. However, as a coda to the Rambo series, I an not sure how to feel. Some of the touches that you might have expected to have happen(the headband, more use of the bows and arrows) don't happen and if you watch it without knowing its a Rambo movie you would just assume its about Sylvester Stallone shooting people. I enjoyed this, but part of me feels that John Rambo works as a better coda to the series than this one does. But it was still nice to see Rambo back and I did enjoy the finale and could even see myself buying this when it came out on Blu. For me as an action movie I rate it a 4/5, but as a coda to the Rambo series I would probably say it is a 3.5/5.
Old 09-23-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

This film was AWFUL - and this is hard for me to say, as I was a fan of all the prior Rambo movies to one degree or another - yes, even Rambo IV.

The problem with the movie isn't even the violence (over the top, but no more than the last Rambo film was) - it's the fact that this character doesn't even SEEM like John Rambo. The script has him act and do stupid things in the first hour of the movie, just to allow the film to set up that action piece at the end. I wish Stallone would have just made the lead a different person, because it's a little upsetting that he'd allow such an interesting character to end this way. I've said it elsewhere, but this is very much the "Rocky V" of Rambo movies...seems like Stallone always hits a huge bump in the road when it comes to the fifth chapter. Sadly, unlike Rocky, it's unlikely we'll see anymore of these. Despite owning all the others on 4K, I don't think I'll ever watch this one again...I'm going to pretend that Rambo's story ended with Rambo IV.

I give it 1 1/2 stars, or a D+
Old 09-23-19, 07:53 AM

Received 848 Likes on 557 Posts

He always hits a bump in the road on the fifth film??? As far as I know he’s only had two. That’s a weird way to word that.
I enjoyed this and thought it was good not great. I thought part four would have been a good end to the series with him going home n all, but here we are. I really do hope this is indeed the last.
Old 09-23-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Damn, the poll scores are pretty bad, save one.
Old 09-23-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 687 Posts

Y'all have pretty much convinced me to give this one a pass and wait for video...which makes me sad. I had high hopes for this one. I usually make my own decision but time is currently precious and seeing Rambo fans saying it sucked (especially when II & III are pretty bad), has made me want to wait.
Old 09-23-19, 01:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same here, gonna wait for the home video as well...
Old 09-23-19, 02:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts

Not me. Going in loud and proud tomorrow night! The other 3 got trashed and this is no different. I want John Rambo, shut my brain off and carnage. That’s all I expect and I’m sure that’s all I’ll get. I will be satisfied.
Old 09-23-19, 02:12 PM

Received 4,642 Likes on 3,143 Posts

I've been reading on that other forum that this apparently had a prologue that was deleted for American audiences, which had Rambo assisting law enforcement in some sort of storm where they save some hikers. The thing is that this alternate opening is playing in some foreign territories intact. I think Australia and France have that version.

I was confused because if you look at the IMDB page there are a handful of characters/actors listed that were not in the film I saw.
Writer Dan Gordon wrote a particularly personal scene into the script for Rambo: Last Blood, but if you saw the movie in the US, UK or Canada, you didn’t actually get to see it.

Brought to our attention over on Reddit, the scene takes place at the start of the film and sees Rambo trying to save a trio of hikers during a flash flood. Thanks to various comments we’ve been able to gather that the sequence kicked off the movie in Australia, Mexico, Sweden, Brazil and Finland, but the entire thing was definitely cut for its release in many countries.

Madfish2k describes the nearly 10-minute long alternate opening, which was to let us know that Rambo has spent the past decade being a superhero rather than a deadly killer:

“It starts in a rainstorm in the middle of a rescue, 3 missing hikers in danger of getting caught in a flood. The police say they have to stop the search as its getting too dangerous and ask where the volunteer on horseback is. We are then introduced to Rambo in the woods tracking the hikers, he finds a girl dead then further down finds the other two, he’s trying to get them out but one guy won’t leave without his wife. Rambo tells him she’s dead but he runs off, the flood water starts running down and Rambo ties himself and the girl to a rock while the initial rush of water cascades over them. He then returns to the base with the girl and see’s the guy who ran off getting his body bag loaded into an ambulance which triggers his PTSD, the girl thanks him and Rambo returns home and has a conversation with the old lady living in the house about when he returned and how his father used to sit in the rocking chair outside.”

“He then goes into the tunnels clearly upset about the events and puts a CD on (The Doors)…when he has PTSD flashbacks in the tunnels it is intercut with the dead hiker.”

Brokenthrowaway247 adds, “I saw this scene in Aus, best part of the movie. The police imply its not the first time Rambo has done this thing to help either. At the end I was waiting the entire time for the police and/or townsfolk to show up and help Rambo fight the cartel. Would have been a nice parallel to the first movie and redeemed the entire film.”

Dan Gordon explained the deeply personal scene in a recent chat with THR, “That scene was really about my son. It’s not losing someone you love is in the past and a reliving of something that happened 20 years ago. It’s that you keep on trying to save that person as if you can undo the past by saving others, and of course you always fail.”

Rambo: Last Blood runs 101 minutes in some countries with this sequence attached, and just 89 here in the U.S. without it. The film instead kicks off with Rambo on his ranch.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...gnTQ1vwRWy_lIY

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.