Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ad Astra (Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ad Astra (Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.90%
10.34%
17.24%
10.34%
27.59%
13.79%
10.34%
3.45%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Ad Astra (Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Ad Astra (Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DWilson
She used to live in the same building as Gray and he thought she'd bring a moment of light to the film.
Yeah, I read the article about it. That's pretty cool.
Old 09-23-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The Natasha Lyonne cameo was cool.
I though she was the most realistic down to Earth character in the movie. And she was only onscreen for a minute or so.
Old 09-23-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
It was terrible, so full of scientific screw ups it isn't even funny. Visually beautiful but dumb as a rock.
We're on the same page on this one. The big problem with Ad Astra is that the drama isn't engaging enough to distract you from the stupid stuff. Had the execution of the daddy issues been better and more than just surface deep then maybe we wouldn't have had time to think about physics and ask questions like 'What are the pirates trying to achieve by killing everyone?' or 'Where are the bodies of the 26 crew members that the space monkeys killed?' Mind you, the drama would've had to work really hard to distract from the stupidity of getting sling shot through the rings of Neptune while shielding yourself with a solar panel because no...that just does not work.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Are we supposed to think McBride is a hero? He sneaks aboard ( ) a rocket that's blasting off and causes the death of the three astronauts that were going to do the exact same thing he ended up doing, which was just to blow it up. But oh yay he got to talk to his daddy one more time, sorry families of murdered astronauts.
I hated how the film ended on an upbeat note where Jr. gets back to Earth and reunites with his ex. I was half expecting/hoping that when he came back that MPs would drag him out of the landing module and clap him in irons since he confessed to manslaughter in his message to SpaceComm.

Good visuals, but this is no Gravity or First Man. Or even Armageddon.

In terms of movies this year, this was a disappointment on par with the Gozilla sequel.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (01-19-21)
Old 09-25-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Apocalypse Later?
Old 09-25-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

On the ending, I don't think it's too far fetched to thing he "got away" with it due to the fact they everything about the mission was covert. I got the impression he wasn't leaving Mars alive (backed up by the fact that the crew was ordered to kill him). He was being used the entire time, there was never any intent to save his father since they already new he was probably nuts.
Old 09-25-19, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought that the 1st half of the movie was fantastic. I loved the space pirates and the killer space monkeys.

The 2nd half...not so much.

The whole arc of Brad Pitt's character was handled in such a heavy handed manner that it was laughable by the end. I mean, he literally solves his daddy issues by letting go of his father at one point. Not figuratively. Not metaphorically. He LITERALLY LETS GO OF HIS FATHER!

So, he starts off as this withdrawn, emotionally dead character heading down the same lonely, isolated path as his withdrawn, emotionally dead father (he even kills an entire space crew, just like Papa!), but by the end he's outgoing, optimistic and embracing life to its fullest. And just to make sure we didn't miss the whole point, his estranged wife shows up to meet him just to underline how much he's changed. I mean, I can dig happy endings, but a little subtlety would have gone a long way here.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 09-25-19 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 06:09 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. Not sure why anyone is getting hung up on any specific events in the plot, as if they matter to the flow or point of the film.
Old 09-26-19, 09:48 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by nasesco417
I don’t know which one I found a bit too over the top. Pirates on the moon, or an Applebee’s.
How about the $125 pillow and blanket pack while flying commercial to the moon?
Old 09-27-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If you like science fiction movies in the vein of 2001, Gravity , or Blade Runner, then Ad Astra is the movie for you.
Respectfully disagree. The movies you mentioned (as well as the franchises like Trek and Star Wars) are all better than Ad Astra by a very significant margin. Gray's movie is a very good looking film that just couldn't stick the landing...or the take-off...or the in-flight portion in the middle. Its lapses in logic and padded parts could be forgiven if the drama were handled better, but it was just so hammy and on-the-nose.

I'm glad you and others have enjoyed Ad Astra, but I regret taking two hours of my time to watch it instead of revisiting 2001, Gravity, BR, or any of the other films you listed.
mikehunt (01-19-21)
Old 09-29-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I thought that the 1st half of the movie was fantastic. I loved the space pirates and the killer space monkeys.

The 2nd half...not so much.
Saw this yesterday and this is how I felt as well.

I thought the second half of the film felt padded (for run-time) in many places.
Old 09-29-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Caught a matinee of this yesterday. I liked it pretty well, but I did think the ending left a bit to be desired as well. I sort of expected something more to happen with Tommy Lee Jones’ character. He was an asshole and once they were out of the space station got a bit more crazy, but overall for just being stranded alone trying to search for intelligent life for years I expected he’d have been more withdrawn and crazy from the time Brad Pitt’s character arrived. I also thought it was strange that Tommy Lee Jones’ character (Cliff) just lived in that space station all that time. I thought it was going to be that he was actually living on Neptune.
Old 09-29-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
So, he starts off as this withdrawn, emotionally dead character heading down the same lonely, isolated path as his withdrawn, emotionally dead father (he even kills an entire space crew, just like Papa!), but by the end he's outgoing, optimistic and embracing life to its fullest. And just to make sure we didn't miss the whole point, his estranged wife shows up to meet him just to underline how much he's changed. I mean, I can dig happy endings, but a little subtlety would have gone a long way here.
I have a question/theory on this ... when he “hitches a ride” on the one ship, they show the crew dosing out required drugs. I am pretty sure they said something about it being a mood stabilizer (or something of sort). Then he “cheeks” it (doesn’t take it). Additionally, it seems like almost every person in space is a freaking zombie or overly happy. I think it is “necessary” to keep people medicated and docile to endure the rigors of space ... at least as Space Command wants it. This is supported by the constant psych evaluations and even possibly by the “lawlessness” of space once people get “outside the system” (meaning Space Command). It would even support Tommy Lee Jones going crazy ... or even crazier.

To me, this falls in to the biggest problem with movies like this ... the themes are there, the clues are there ... but they never bring it home. I don’t need to be beat over the head (please, don’t), but there are points and opportunities missed to make the world richer while we are being beat over the head with other thematic elements.
Old 09-30-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

saw this last Tuesday and although the movie had some promise it seemed to go off the rails at some point. I kept waiting for a twist or something, anything to help make the movie make a little more sense and it just wasnt there. My wife had guessed
Spoiler:
that he was having a lucid dream after hitting his head after falling off the antenna sadly her ending was better than the screenplay
the movies ending fell flat, the guy should be a hero or something, instead it seems to just sort of end at a convenient time to roll credits...

FWIW I found myself leaving the theater thinking that's not how any of that works...
mikehunt (01-19-21)
Old 09-30-19, 09:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I enjoyed the experience of it, but I don't think it has much lasting value. I think they way the film portrays the main character's emotional detachment was excellent. I didn't really dig the third act all that much, though.
Old 09-30-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I enjoyed the experience of it, but I don't think it has much lasting value. I think they way the film portrays the main character's emotional detachment was excellent. I didn't really dig the third act all that much, though.
the detachment made me expect a twist along the lines of Serenity the movie from last year w Anne Hathaway.
Old 09-30-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw this saturday afternoon. I thought it was kind of boring but had some good parts.
Old 12-04-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw this in IMAX and it was great. One of the best films of the year. It's equal parts 2001, Gravity, Interstellar, and even Sunshine.
Originally Posted by Brack
Definitely one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. Not sure why anyone is getting hung up on any specific events in the plot, as if they matter to the flow or point of the film.
Finally saw this tonight and agree with you both. I thought it was great and definitely one of 2019's best film. The whole time watching it, I definitely felt a "2001", "Sunshine" and "Gravity" vibe. I doubt it will get recognized for any major Oscar nomination. But should be recognized for cinematography, sound and production design.
Old 12-05-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Brad Pitt travels 3 billion miles, kills a few people, and accomplishes nothing except to realize he needs to act more like a human being.

Old 12-06-19, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Murdered astronauts? You mean the same astronauts that had orders to terminate him seconds after he got on board?
You mean the astronauts who were SUPPOSED to be there, doing what they were told to do for the success of the mission vs an intruder who wasn't authorized and may have jeopardized the mission?

So if someone goes into a bank with a gun and kills the guards who are trying to kill him, it's justified?

Last edited by Wolf359; 12-06-19 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Should have been titled A Bore.
mikehunt (01-19-21)
Old 01-11-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

This is one of those movies where I suspect a good movie was left on the cutting room floor.

There just seemed to be a lot of holes that should have been filled with the father/son story.
Old 01-13-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This is one of those movies where I suspect a good movie was left on the cutting room floor.

There just seemed to be a lot of holes that should have been filled with the father/son story.
Far more likely it was a good movie at the original screenplay level that got changed by Gray (who has a screenplay credit) and Pitt during filming.
mikehunt (01-19-21)
Old 02-22-20, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Just watched this last night. Agree the first half was really good and interesting and then it kinda shits the bed after getting to Mars. So much doesn’t make sense. Couldn’t figure out why Roy sneaks onto the ship and murders the crew to do exactly what they were going to do anyway. Then the end where he uses a huge nuclear explosion to no only return back to EARTH, on a ship designed for travel to and from MARS, without burning up, but landing gently enough to not be injured and conveniently next to a rescue crew. Sometimes they remember it takes a long time to travel in space, sometimes they forget - Roy uses a feeding tube to go to Neptune but just kinda naps back to earth. Just weird dumb stuff.

I bet someone could cut together scenes from Gravity, The Martian, Interstellar and this and put together a pretty cool Ocean’s Eleven in Space movie trailer.
Old 02-23-20, 10:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It was too similar to Apocalypse Now and/or Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Like 2001 through a Heart of Darkness filter. Too derivative.
Old 02-23-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It was too similar to Apocalypse Now and/or Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Like 2001 through a Heart of Darkness filter. Too derivative.
Well, I think that was intentional. And I'm all for a good Heart of Darkness tale. This one just wasn't very good though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.