Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Creed III (2023, D: Michael B. Jordan) -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 05:18 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Nothing official yet...

Michael B. Jordan Got an Offer to Direct 'Creed III' If and When It Happens

A third instalment in the Creed franchise hasn't been officially announced yet, but if the movie goes ahead, producers already have their first choice of director lined up: Michael B. Jordan, who starred in the first two films as Adonis Creed. Irwin Winkler, the producer of the Creed movies as well as the original Rocky series of which they are a spinoff, revealed in his book, published this year, that he has assured Jordan he will have a shot at the director's chair.

"I promised Michael B. Jordan that he’d get his chance to direct Creed III," Winkler wrote in A Life in Movies: Stories From 50 Years in Hollywood, adding: "Last year in a conversation with our Creed star Michael B. Jordan, I offered him the opportunity to not only star in, but also to direct Creed III."

Winkler made a similar offer to Sylvester Stallone, who created the character of Rocky Balboa, following the success of 1976's Rocky, and Stallone stepped behind the camera to direct Rocky II in 1979. However, despite having leveraged that role into a wildly successful career, Stallone has since expressed his frustration with how he was never given annuity in the franchise. "I have zero ownership of Rocky," he said earlier this year. "Every word, every syllable, every grammatical error was all my fault. It was shocking that it never came to be, but I was told, ‘Hey, you got paid, so what are you complaining about?’ I was furious."

That said, Stallone returned to the world he created with the Creed movies, playing an older mentor figure to Jordan's Adonis, son of his old friend Apollo Creed. Creed II expanded on that mythology by bringing in Florian Munteaunu as Viktor Drago, son of villain Ivan Drago. And should Creed III get made, Stallone is keen to introduce more members of the next generation: he and Jordan have said that real-life heavyweight boxer Deontay Wilder would be perfect to cast as the son of Rocky III character Clubber Lang.
https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...irect-creed-3/

Last edited by dex14; 02-25-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Creed III (2023, D: Michael B. Jordan) -- news, rumors, etc.

I don't think Stallone will be in Creed III, although he's planning a Rocky sequel separately.

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-rocky-sequel/
Old 09-10-19, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't think Stallone will be in Creed III, although he's planning a Rocky sequel separately.

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-rocky-sequel/
There is a discussion about that here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...er-sequel.html
Old 02-25-20, 03:47 PM

A new writer is getting in the ring for the third Creed film.

Zach Baylin, the scripter behind the upcoming Will Smith movie King Richard, has been tapped to pen the third installment of the boxing film franchise for MGM.

The movie will continue the story of Adonis Creed, played by Michael B. Jordan, but exact plot details are not yet known. A director has yet to be confirmed.

The first Creed film, written and directed by Ryan Coogler, grossed $173 million at the global box office following its release in 2015. Creed II (2018) was directed by Steven Caple Jr. from a screenplay by Juel Taylor and Sylvester Stallone and earned more than $214 million worldwide.

It is unclear when Creed 3 will head into production, as Jordan has a packed upcoming shooting schedule. He is set to appear in an as-yet untitled David O. Russell movie before heading into production on the Denzel Washington-directed Sony drama A Journal for Jordan.

Baylin's screenplay King Richard appeared on the 2018 Black List and centers on the father of tennis greats Venus and Serena Williams. The script later attached Smith to star as Richard Williams and produce via his Overbrook banner, with the package subsequently being picked up by Warner Bros. after a bidding war.

Baylin is repped by CAA and Grandview.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=social
Old 02-26-20, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As good as the first two were, I honestly don't think we need a Creed III. Jordan certainly doesn't need it, he's doing fine.
Old 02-26-20, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As good as the first two were, I honestly don't think we need a Creed III. Jordan certainly doesn't need it, he's doing fine.
Though if he wants a chance to direct, it's his best opportunity.
Old 02-26-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Though if he wants a chance to direct, it's his best opportunity.

I had read that producer Irwin Winkler had offered the directing gig to Jordan.
Old 02-26-20, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I had read that producer Irwin Winkler had offered the directing gig to Jordan.
I wonder where...
The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (02-26-20)
Old 10-24-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

So apparently this is in the works and Michael B. Jordan will star and direct.

It originated from this Deadline story that has it buried as a blurb on the No Time to Die story

https://deadline.com/2020/10/james-b...ly-1234602960/
JeremyM (10-24-20)
Old 10-24-20, 04:50 PM

Seems like the same info from a year ago.
Old 10-26-20, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Feels like they're kicking these sequels out faster than the Rocky movies.
Old 10-26-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm still hoping Stallone can be convinced to return to Creed. I love him as Rocky and his performances in the Creed movies have been fantastic. That being said, I all in for Creed 3 anyway.
JeremyM (06-02-21)
Old 10-26-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I'd actually rather Rocky not be in the film as I was satisfied with his conclusion. But also I'd fear that they would be following the Rocky 3 story line and that is something I have no interest in seeing play out.
JeremyM (06-02-21)
Old 10-26-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Artman
I'd actually rather Rocky not be in the film as I was satisfied with his conclusion. But also I'd fear that they would be following the Rocky 3 story line and that is something I have no interest in seeing play out.
I don't think we're going to see Rocky back. He said to Adonis it's your time now kid at the end of the movie and I remember when Creed II came out, Stallone basically said goodbye to the character in a Instagram post.
Old 10-26-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't think we're going to see Rocky back. He said to Adonis it's your time now kid at the end of the movie and I remember when Creed II came out, Stallone basically said goodbye to the character in a Instagram post.
Back in may he played with the idea to write and direct another Rocky movie himself. I will never get tired of seeing Stallone as Rocky, but I would prefer him as a supporting character.
Seeing Michael B. Jordan evolve from the kid in The Wire, the teenager in Friday Night Lights to an impressive actor directing his first big picture is a treet as well.
Old 10-26-20, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Another Rocky movie shouldn't involve any boxing and the story should be a drama revolving around the rekindled relationship with his son and grandson. There's no more boxing to be told in his universe. And this story wouldn't be enough for a feature film.
Old 03-10-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/03/michael...gm-1234711695/

Jordan as director is now official. Coming Thanksgiving 2022.

Tessa Thompson and Phylicia Rashad.

Deadline has mentioned it was going to happen numerous times, but Michael B. Jordan has now committed to a step up to a new title: director. He’ll helm the third installment of Creed, per MGM, which has dated the film for Thanksgiving, 2022. Jordan’s big moment — this is his directorial debut — was spoiled by his onscreen leading lady Tessa Thompson as a tossaway in an online interview. But most knew this was in the cards for several years since Irwin Winkler, producer of the original Rocky films and the Creed spinoffs, revealed that Jordan was going to be the director of the third film.

Script is by Keenan Coogler and Zach Baylin, based on an outline by Ryan Coogler. Aside from Thompson, Phylicia Rashad are also back. Not mentioned is whether Sylvester Stallone will answer the bell and bring his Rocky Balboa back.
JeremyM (06-02-21)
Old 03-11-21, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

These movies are well done - was surprised how good the second flick was seeing as how I can't stand Rocky IV.

Jordan directing is very interesting as well.
Old 03-11-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
These movies are well done - was surprised how good the second flick was seeing as how I can't stand Rocky IV.

Jordan directing is very interesting as well.
Creed II took part of the story of Rocky IV, but they told in the same vein of the first part. Rocky III + IV changed their tone a lot, they were more like 80s action movies, less than a 70s underdog story. While I do like all Rocky movies, I do hope, they stay the course on Creed and don't change the style, but I've confidence in Jordan.
Old 03-11-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Nice!
Old 06-02-21, 11:02 AM

EXCLUSIVE: MGM and first time director Michael B. Jordan have set their sights on Lovecraft Country star Jonathan Majors to be his adversary in the ring for Creed III, sources said. Negotiations are underway for Majors to star in the film as Adonis Creed’s ring nemesis.

It’s the latest big movie role looming for Majors, who is coming off the first season of the critically lauded HBO hit series Lovecraft Country. His rise to A-list from his 2019 breakout in The Last Black Man in San Francisco has been meteoric. Majors most recently co-starred in the Spike Lee-directed Da 5 Bloods for Netflix, and he is set to play Kang The Conqueror in Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. He will next be seen in the Jaymes Samuel-directed Western, The Harder They Fall for Netflix, and Black Label Media’s Devotion.

The deal isn’t quite done yet and they are working through the logistics of Majors’ busy dance card that includes a return for the second season of Lovecraft Country. Tessa Thompson and Phylicia Rashad return for the third installment of the Rocky franchise spinoff, but Sylvester Stallone decided not to come back this time. The script is written by Zach Baylin and Keenan Coogler.

There will surely be some ring training involved, but Majors has the physicality to stand toe to toe with Jordan, and the Yale School of Drama MFA has the acting chops, too. Stay tuned.
https://deadline.com/2021/06/jonatha...is-1234767788/
Old 06-02-21, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Good choice!

Mahors won’t have to do much to get into shape. He was already pretty damn built in Lovecraft Country.
Old 06-02-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I just hope he isn't Clubber Lang's son. I know there was talk of that, but no need to go down that road. It's been done.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a movie with Drago and his son as well, though how you make it happen without crossing paths with Creed is difficult to see, unless he doesn't aim for the heavyweight title.
Old 06-02-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
True, but wouldn't be the first time he said goodbye to the character...
Old 06-02-21, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I just hope he isn't Clubber Lang's son. I know there was talk of that, but no need to go down that road. It's been done.
That would be a Stallone move, but as far as I know, he has NOTHING to do with this film (although I suppose he may get an exec. producer credit or something).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.