Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.71%
2.86%
28.57%
31.43%
8.57%
8.57%
5.71%
2.86%
2.86%
2.86%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Interesting. I felt the horror was more gore-based (not gory itself, but gross monsters, jump scares, blood, and dirty environments). I was hoping for more “spooky” or creepy psychological horror (like the first parts of the old lady scene).

It doesn’t have to do with desensitization ... it just wasn’t overly scary for what it was. Most of the horror scenes felt like a check box to make sure each character got screen time.
Old 09-12-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'm an old-school horror fan and, color me crazy, but I like my horror films to be, you know, scary. This one wasn't. At all. So, yeah, I didn't like it very much. It was amusing in parts, but right at the two hour mark I started getting fidgety, ready for it to just END ALREADY.

I agree with all of this, Shannon. To me, it felt like "product," and "product" only. I never felt a moment of true passion for the material; instead, we were treated to a succession of jump scares because that's the easiest route for a film made by committee to take. I found it to be a big, long, soulless, and generally disappointing film. Even with all of my negativity, I still find it preferable to the TV movie (although Tim Curry beats Bill Skarsgard, hands down).
May I ask what you consider actually scary? There are only a an extreme few horror movies that really the shit out of me.
Old 09-12-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
May I ask what you consider actually scary? There are only a an extreme few horror movies that really the shit out of me.
I totally understand that "scary" is a subjective term. What I find scary may be comedic gold for some, and vice-versa. I don't think that desensitization has anything to do with it. Here are some movies that scared me:

It Follows
Audition
Dark Water
(the Japanese version)
Ringu
The Conjuring
The Orphanage
The Innkeepers

For me, gore is not scary. It's grotesque, but not frightening. Also not scary to me: the not-quite-appropriately named "jump scare." (Our own Mr. Cellophane once termed horror films full of jump scares as "startle films," which is probably the best way I've ever heard it put.) Jump scares are startling, but they're not scary. There's also a distinct difference between a horror movie and a thriller. Horror touches a much deeper nerve; thrillers exist at surface level. It: Chapter Two, for me, was a thriller, not a horror film. If it hadn't been so incredibly long, I would have found it to be a fairly fun film. The difference between It: Chapter Two and a truly scary film is, for me at least, like the difference between a riding a roller coaster (thrilling, and fun while it lasts) and walking through an unfamiliar stretch of woods at night and hearing strange sounds nearby (deeply unsettling and apt to pop up in nightmares later).

I think the films that frighten me the most are the ones that cause me to envision being in the situation presented and which hit subconscious pressure points (like the fear of being abandoned entirely, or the fear of what might lurk in the dark) that I sometimes didn't even know I had. To take one example from It: Chapter Two, I can't put myself into a headspace where fortune cookies are terrifying, no matter WHAT they may morph into. I would have found that scene a hundred times scarier, however, if it had only shown a little blood leaking from one of the cookies, and maybe another one or two rocking back and forth, and stopping the scene there. Taking the creep factor up to the outlandish extremes that the film did totally kills the horror inherent in the scene. The unknown is always, for me, much scarier than the known. Wondering what might be in one of the fortune cookies, and coming up with all sorts of unsavory prospects, is much more horrifying to me than seeing one of the cookies sprout wings and flop around the table. Likewise, the last part of the film wherein Pennywise has morphed into some sort of spider-clown requires too much of a suspension of disbelief for me to be scared by it.

On the other hand, Audition got under my skin in a way that very few movies have. The gore in the film didn't scare me; what scared me was the possibility that someone that I think that I know, someone who looks and acts very sweet and demure, could actually be a monster. THAT could happen to me. THAT requires very little suspension of disbelief. THAT is disconcerting in the extreme. In fact, I moved to Japan very shortly after seeing Audition, and I was somewhat apprehensive of befriending any Japanese women for weeks. That's how badly it affected me.
Old 09-12-19, 12:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Jump scares can be scary, it all depends on the context.
Old 09-12-19, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
Jump scares can be scary, it all depends on the context.
This is why I wrote "to me." Startling? For me, yes. Scary? For me, very, very rarely.
Old 09-12-19, 01:13 PM

Surprising then that you liked The Conjuring. Full of jump scares.
Old 09-12-19, 01:52 PM

Just because a film happens to have jump scares doesn't automatically make me dislike it; you're right in that The Conjuring has a lot of jump scares, and It Follows has a terrific jump scare in it, but if the jump scares had been the only thing that these films had going for them, I'm 99% sure that they wouldn't have scared me. I still might have been entertained, but I most probably wouldn't have been scared.
Old 09-12-19, 03:56 PM

That was my initial point. Context.
Old 09-12-19, 11:10 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Technically not IT related, but Bill Skarsgård’s brother Alexander has been cast to play Randall Flagg in The Stand mini-series.
https://www.screengeek.net/2019/09/1...randall-flagg/

Old 09-13-19, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I totally understand that "scary" is a subjective term. What I find scary may be comedic gold for some, and vice-versa. I don't think that desensitization has anything to do with it. Here are some movies that scared me:

It Follows
Audition
Dark Water
(the Japanese version)
Ringu
The Conjuring
The Orphanage
The Innkeepers
I agree with this list except The Innkeepers. Know of it, haven't seen it.
Old 09-13-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It Follows
Audition
Dark Water
(the Japanese version)
Ringu
The Conjuring
The Orphanage
The Innkeepers
This movie is something I think you will really like unless you have already seen it. Scared the fuck out me. It needs to be watched in the dark with a surround system. There was a U.S. remake but it was a POS.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440803/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Old 09-13-19, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan
This movie is something I think you will really like unless you have already seen it. Scared the fuck out me. It needs to be watched in the dark with a surround system. There was a U.S. remake but it was a POS.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440803/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
I've seen it, but it didn't make much of an impression on me. It's on my shelf; I'll watch it again during the October Horror Movie Challenge and see if it resonates with me this time. It's been over ten years since I watched it, so it's due for a rewatch anyway.

Thanks for recommending it!
Old 09-13-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
We saw it over the weekend...WHY THE FUUUUCK DID SO MANY PEOPLE BRING BABIES,TODDLERS, AND YOUNG KIDS!!!!??!?!
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Because young parents are irresponsible twits...where have you been, Rip Wan Winkle?

He had a 27-year nap.

How did the kids taste, Giantrobo?
Old 09-13-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I wish I liked this movie more than I did. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it was 'just okay'. And I feel like that's being a bit generous.

The first movie had a general sense of unease throughout the whole thing. It was unsettling. The part when Beverly goes back to her old house was the closest Chapter 2 came to replicating the vibe of the first movie. The rest felt more sci-fi than horror.

Aside from just being a cheap, low effort scare, why did Pennywise even kill that kid under the bleachers? Who was that? Why should I care?
Old 09-16-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It Follows
Audition
Dark Water
(the Japanese version)
Ringu
The Conjuring
The Orphanage
The Innkeepers

For me, gore is not scary. It's grotesque, but not frightening. Also not scary to me: the not-quite-appropriately named "jump scare." (Our own Mr. Cellophane once termed horror films full of jump scares as "startle films," which is probably the best way I've ever heard it put.) Jump scares are startling, but they're not scary. There's also a distinct difference between a horror movie and a thriller. Horror touches a much deeper nerve; thrillers exist at surface level. It: Chapter Two, for me, was a thriller, not a horror film. If it hadn't been so incredibly long, I would have found it to be a fairly fun film. The difference between It: Chapter Two and a truly scary film is, for me at least, like the difference between a riding a roller coaster (thrilling, and fun while it lasts) and walking through an unfamiliar stretch of woods at night and hearing strange sounds nearby (deeply unsettling and apt to pop up in nightmares later).

I think the films that frighten me the most are the ones that cause me to envision being in the situation presented and which hit subconscious pressure points (like the fear of being abandoned entirely, or the fear of what might lurk in the dark) that I sometimes didn't even know I had. To take one example from It: Chapter Two, I can't put myself into a headspace where fortune cookies are terrifying, no matter WHAT they may morph into. I would have found that scene a hundred times scarier, however, if it had only shown a little blood leaking from one of the cookies, and maybe another one or two rocking back and forth, and stopping the scene there. Taking the creep factor up to the outlandish extremes that the film did totally kills the horror inherent in the scene. The unknown is always, for me, much scarier than the known. Wondering what might be in one of the fortune cookies, and coming up with all sorts of unsavory prospects, is much more horrifying to me than seeing one of the cookies sprout wings and flop around the table. Likewise, the last part of the film wherein Pennywise has morphed into some sort of spider-clown requires too much of a suspension of disbelief for me to be scared by it.

On the other hand, Audition got under my skin in a way that very few movies have. The gore in the film didn't scare me; what scared me was the possibility that someone that I think that I know, someone who looks and acts very sweet and demure, could actually be a monster. THAT could happen to me. THAT requires very little suspension of disbelief. THAT is disconcerting in the extreme. In fact, I moved to Japan very shortly after seeing Audition, and I was somewhat apprehensive of befriending any Japanese women for weeks. That's how badly it affected me.
All good, that's why I asked. Full on horror for me is the exorcist - I refuse to even keep that movie in my house and it still really freaks me out to this day. It's not just all "The scenes" it's the elements from the time frame in which it was made - the sound, look, and without question, the buildup.

On the lighter side, the conjuring 2 really got to me as well.

Yes, IT chapter 2 wasn't scary but it was a well made horror movie and a fun one.

I have a couple of movies if you haven't seen them yet that will probably bother you - most here have seen them:

Irreversible
Kidnapped (2010 - Spanish)
Martyrs (Original French movie not the horrible US remake)
Old 09-16-19, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I’m late the the post here and a new member but a quick question.

did Stanley remember Pennywise and that’s why he killed himself? Does that mean he also lived in Derry? The further away the less you remember from what they say. Everyone was scare and didn’t know why but Stanley seemed to remember it all and how they would lose with him
Old 09-16-19, 05:23 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Welcome, Themacman, I hope you have a good experience here.

He said in his letter than he knew everyone would have to confront Pennywise but the others wouldn't remember until they got to Derry. Meanwhile, he remembered early, right there on the phone with Mike, and because of that he couldn't go through with it. Since it takes everyone on board, he "took himself off the board."
Old 09-16-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Yes, IT chapter 2 wasn't scary but it was a well made horror movie and a fun one.

Old 09-16-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this last weekend.

Enjoyed it, mostly due to the strong cast.

Even though it was unavoidable, I thought the CGI/De-Aging & voice dubbing on The Loser's Club flashback scenes were distracting.
Old 09-16-19, 08:04 PM

I’ve seen it twice and still have no idea what this business is about the CGI’d kids and their dubbed voices. I guess I should consider myself lucky for still not noticing.
Old 09-16-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I’ve seen it twice and still have no idea what this business is about the CGI’d kids and their dubbed voices. I guess I should consider myself lucky for still not noticing.
Likewise.

Old 09-17-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I saw this at the drive in this past weekend paired with Annabelle comes home and really didn't find the movie scary, more of an action adventure with a few attempts at jump scares. Not really horror either per se, it was kind of weird in that regard. I have to say I was somewhat hoping for Amy Adams in this as well but in seeing Jessica in the role she really nailed it as Bev and I have some trouble seeing Amy do the "action scenes" jumping off the cliff and running etc. - not that Amy couldn't do it, but its sort of not her style. I gave the movie 3.5 out of 5. It was definitely too long and the whole wander Derry alone to get my groove back part of the film was way too long. Loved seeing the cameo by Stephen and the director who I recognized as an actor more so than a director. Somehow Pennywise just was never particular scary, menacing sure, but seeing this guy would not make me afraid of clowns. Really never understood how his "jig" was scary last movie or the head bobbing was scary this one. I'll watch it on HBO or netflix down the road to fill in some blanks as I had some trouble with the sound at the drive in but the Annabelle movie was way scarier than Chapter 2.
Old 09-17-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, why? I though it was funny and has some good jump scares. It was way better than most recently released horror flicks right? Not sure why the smart ass meme.
Old 09-17-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

And both Chapters will have cleared about 1.2 billion worldwide by the end of it's theatrical release(s).
Old 09-17-19, 01:29 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This is CGI'd:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.