Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.71%
2.86%
28.57%
31.43%
8.57%
8.57%
5.71%
2.86%
2.86%
2.86%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-05-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
So is the 59 Metacritic score. Didn't expect this one to score lower than the original film but clearly it is.
It's always been the weaker half of the story. A lot of the complaints seem to single out the excessive runtime.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-05-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 07:38 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

It was alright I guess. I didn't think the runtime was terrible, but I didn't feel engaged overall.

The adult casting was really good.

Some of the flashbacks were weird. It seemed like Finn Wolfhard's entire face was CG to make him look prepubescent. His voice was definitely dubbed. I think Jack Dylan Grazer's was too.
Old 09-05-19, 09:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just saw it. Thought it was pretty good. The adult versions were well cast. Decent enough scares, though like the first film it relied on lots of jump scares, maybe too many this time. The length was fine, I didn’t think it lagged too much. So overall a good follow up.
Old 09-05-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I just got back myself. I liked it well enough and it didn't seem as long as it was to me. I felt like almost everyone was well-cast, especially James Ransone as Eddie. He and the kid Eddie actually seemed like they could be the same person and Ransone had his mannerisms down really well. I am not a fan of Jessica Chastain as Beverly Marsh. Personally, I don't see any resemblance to Sophia Lillis at all (other than red hair) and it didn't even seem like the same character. People have been going on about them being twins for the past two years, but I look at her and see young Amy Adams. Whoever cast Sharp Objects apparently agreed with me. I thought everyone else did a fantastic job. McAvoy and his stuttering was phenomenal. I don't know how he pulled it off so well.

Apparently, I missed some cameos. Stephen King makes an appearance. Kid Ben from the 1990 miniseries makes an appearance as a guy working for Ben in this one. That said, I have no reason to ever watch the miniseries again. These two movies blew it away.

I'm not sure how much I liked the way they offed Pennywise, but it's better than the 1990 miniseries ending, imo. I was a little teary-eyed at the end when they all went back to their lives and were reading Stan's goodbye letter. This was a love letter to childhood fears disguised as a horror movie. I was a little surprised they made Richie gay, but for once, I didn't feel beat over the head with it, so I didn't mind it all that much, especially since I felt like it helped deepen the character a little.

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 09-05-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Was a decent followup to the original film, though I felt it was reliant on too much FX, some which just came off as corny (like the fortune cookie sequence, which felt like something more suited to a Ghostbusters movie). Movie wasn't scary at all, much more of an adventure/thrill-ride than a horror movie. I thought Muschetti completely botched the suicide of Stanley, which should have been a way more chilling sequence. Instead it was basically just a "meh" scene.

Thought it was kind of amusing that they essentially bullied Pennywise into submission.

This movie is filled to the brim with homages and callouts to other movies. I spotted a bunch, which sort of took me out of the story. There was:

Rocky ("Adrian! Adrian!")
The Thing ("You've got to be fucking kidding!")
The Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt (Then again, it could have been Gollum. Wasn't totally sure.)
The Shining
A Nightmare on Elm Street

Aliens (I saw this homage coming from a mile away as soon as Eddie turned his back to Pennywise and started bragging about how he defeated him).

There's director character in the opening named "Peter" apparently in homage to Peter Bogdanovich, who he sort of resembled.
There's also a callback to Creepshow. I noticed that the actor who played Jordy in the farm/meteor segment shows up here in a cameo as a shop owner. Unfortunately, he's not that great an actor.

I'm sure there were many more movie homages that I didn't spot.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 09-06-19 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Just got back from it. It was a full house tonight.

Anyways, I'll keep my thoughts short. Good, not great. I don't complain about length much, but this is a long fucking movie. And it feels like close to 3 hours. It obviously picks up towards the end, but a lot of it drags. I looked at my watch once and saw there was still over 1 1/2 hours left and thought we were near a penultimate scene/set-up and I was like shit.

The adult actors/casting was fantastic. I thought they all did great work. Bill Hader was hilarious.

I did like the cameo from Stephen King and everyone in the theatre caught it.

One thing for me also was that it wasn't as scary as the 1st movie. I actually thought the comedy/laughs overshadowed some of the horror elements. There was a shit load of scenes where many in my theatre were laughing their asses off. And to be honest, I did too.

Overall, a good follow up with great casting. But too long and the comedy took me somewhat out of the darker/horror elements.

I still enjoyed it though, I'd give it a B-
Old 09-06-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
There's director character in the opening named "Peter" apparently in homage to Peter Bogdanovich, who he sort of resembled.
That actually was Peter Bogdanovich.
Old 09-06-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
There's also a callback to Creepshow. I noticed that the actor who played Jordy in the farm/meteor segment shows up here in a cameo as a shop owner. Unfortunately, he's not that great an actor.
That "actor" is writer Stephen King. Haha!
Old 09-06-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Just caught this one today. Overall, it was decent, but like everyone else is saying, it is way too long. I really do wish they have kept the flashbacks to the childhood versions at a minimum, or included them in the first movie (they looked they were shot at the same time as the first). However, it was only when I saw those scenes that I felt as if I was seeing the true Losers Club. The adult actors were fine, but having names like Chastain, Macavoy, and Hader made it hard to see the characters, The actor who played Eddie was very good and sold it better than the rest. I also liked how this one went well into the Lovecraftian realm with the lore of the monster. I recommend every Stephen King fan read Lovecraft to see the inspiration behind his material. And of course I loved the direct shout out to Carpenter's The Thing! Overall, good, but I don't see myself watching it again unless they do a deluxe cut with both versions edited together.

Sidnote: I know she was never officially signed until a while after the sequel was greenlit, but I have a feeling Chastain was unofficially attached to play adult Beverly since this was first conceived. She had a history with the director, so it makes sense.
Old 09-06-19, 10:28 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

My wife and I both had the day off today, a rare occasion, so we went to a matinee. Only 5 people in the theater total, though this feels like a good nighttime movie, really. We both have AMC A-List and the theater was the first one by the concessions stand so it was simple to pop out for a water bottle refill and refill on our AMC popcorn bucket. I also watched It Chapter One last night to be fresh and ready to go.

I thought it was good, not great. This is a case of the parts being better than the whole, to me. Very well-made, the movie looked and sounded great. Yes, lots of jump scares and I admit, many worked on me. The adult cast was excellent and they all did great. I hadn't been familiar with Jay Ryan (Ben) or James Ransone (Eddie) at all and I thought they held their own with more famous actors like Chastain, McAvoy, and Hader (who stole the show). Ransone was solid as adult Eddie, he acted and looked the most like the performance from Jack Dylan Grazer, who I think is a young up-and-comer. The local reviewer brought up how Isaiah Mustafa was in the Old Spice commercials at least twice in his review as a distraction and I didn't think about it at all. The scares were good, liked the imagery, and this was a better ending battle than the miniseries for sure, and that's not just about the budget.

The thing that made me squirm the most in my seat? When adult Bill drowns Georgie and Georgie grabs his adult forearms with his little boy hands. Harrowing in that you never expect to see that sort of thing!

I was surprised at how much from the novel is missing - all of Henry Bowers's ghost gang, Beverly's husband coming at them thanks to Pennywise, Bill's wife and her role, etc. - especially considering how long the movie is. In total, this is 1 hour longer than the miniseries and it still feels like they missed things. I can't remember if it's Stanley's adult head that talks to them in the fridge but I remember being haunted by that scene from the miniseries as a kid! I don't even think it was a matter of those pieces ending up on the cutting room floor, I think they just weren't even written in the first place. Without Bill's wife, there's something missing for his journey at the end, to me. And one thing still bugs me: I thought in the novel it was Stan who suggests the pact, not Bill, and then there's something extra sad that he completes suicide and can't go through with the pact that he instigated.

I think dex14 is right, they did some CG work on all the kids for de-aging, according to some IMDB trivia, but especially to Finn Wolfhard. Which is too bad, in that he ended up with a really muted performance compared to the first film. The rest of the kids either looked themselves or had minimal CG work done, as far as I could tell. One nitpick with the kid flashbacks is Beverly kept calling Ben "New Kid," even though she specifically had a moment with him where she chooses to call him "Ben."

Pretty sure that was Stephen King's best cameo, period.

Again, good not great, could've been scarier and shorter and been more effective. Still, we got two good movies out of something I was never sure would be revisited and I'm glad for it.
Old 09-07-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Is the
Spoiler:
gang bang
in it?
Old 09-07-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Is the
Spoiler:
gang bang
in it?
No
Old 09-07-19, 07:20 PM

Saw it again yesterday with the wife. Still quite enjoyed it.

I am a fan of the music for both films. The Deadlights music/sound effect is just great. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Richie is caught in the Deadlights, such an effective moment.
Old 09-07-19, 08:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by story
My wife and I both had the day off today, a rare occasion, so we went to a matinee. Only 5 people in the theater total, though this feels like a good nighttime movie, really. We both have AMC A-List and the theater was the first one by the concessions stand so it was simple to pop out for a water bottle refill and refill on our AMC popcorn bucket. I also watched It Chapter One last night to be fresh and ready to go.

I thought it was good, not great. This is a case of the parts being better than the whole, to me. Very well-made, the movie looked and sounded great. Yes, lots of jump scares and I admit, many worked on me. The adult cast was excellent and they all did great. I hadn't been familiar with Jay Ryan (Ben) or James Ransone (Eddie) at all and I thought they held their own with more famous actors like Chastain, McAvoy, and Hader (who stole the show). Ransone was solid as adult Eddie, he acted and looked the most like the performance from Jack Dylan Grazer, who I think is a young up-and-comer. The local reviewer brought up how Isaiah Mustafa was in the Old Spice commercials at least twice in his review as a distraction and I didn't think about it at all. The scares were good, liked the imagery, and this was a better ending battle than the miniseries for sure, and that's not just about the budget.

The thing that made me squirm the most in my seat? When adult Bill drowns Georgie and Georgie grabs his adult forearms with his little boy hands. Harrowing in that you never expect to see that sort of thing!

I was surprised at how much from the novel is missing - all of Henry Bowers's ghost gang, Beverly's husband coming at them thanks to Pennywise, Bill's wife and her role, etc. - especially considering how long the movie is. In total, this is 1 hour longer than the miniseries and it still feels like they missed things. I can't remember if it's Stanley's adult head that talks to them in the fridge but I remember being haunted by that scene from the miniseries as a kid! I don't even think it was a matter of those pieces ending up on the cutting room floor, I think they just weren't even written in the first place. Without Bill's wife, there's something missing for his journey at the end, to me. And one thing still bugs me: I thought in the novel it was Stan who suggests the pact, not Bill, and then there's something extra sad that he completes suicide and can't go through with the pact that he instigated.

I think dex14 is right, they did some CG work on all the kids for de-aging, according to some IMDB trivia, but especially to Finn Wolfhard. Which is too bad, in that he ended up with a really muted performance compared to the first film. The rest of the kids either looked themselves or had minimal CG work done, as far as I could tell. One nitpick with the kid flashbacks is Beverly kept calling Ben "New Kid," even though she specifically had a moment with him where she chooses to call him "Ben."

Pretty sure that was Stephen King's best cameo, period.

Again, good not great, could've been scarier and shorter and been more effective. Still, we got two good movies out of something I was never sure would be revisited and I'm glad for it.
Does the film have the baseball scene? Where like a team of dead corpses play baseball.
Old 09-07-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Saw it again yesterday with the wife. Still quite enjoyed it.
Do you usually not enjoy a movie if the wife goes?
Old 09-07-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Saw it this afternoon. Echoing the general sentiment - liked it, didn't love it. Some cool effects, lots of cheesy ones. Loved Bill Hader. Didn't really dig McAvoy and his disappearing/reappearing accent. Thought the bit with the kid in the fun house was weird - like wasn't sure it really happened. Does NOBODY in Derry care about a serial killer of children but The Losers? The first time it seemed like the town was on edge. This time, it's fun fair time. (and after Us, Toy Story 4 and Stranger Things Season 3, I'm pretty sick of country fairs this year).

Question : What did that gas-bashing scene at the beginning of the movie have to do with literally anything? It had nothing to do with The Losers, Pennywise, Henry Bowers or anything else from the first movie, did it? I was waiting for the tie-in but never saw one besides the balloons and blood writing which seemed to indicate Pennywise was involved somehow. Was I missing something?
Old 09-07-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Question : What did that gas-bashing scene at the beginning of the movie have to do with literally anything? It had nothing to do with The Losers, Pennywise, Henry Bowers or anything else from the first movie, did it? I was waiting for the tie-in but never saw one besides the balloons and blood writing which seemed to indicate Pennywise was involved somehow. Was I missing something?
Thematically I probably agree...beyond showing that Derry can be an awful place even excluding the clown. As to why that particular death...eh...it's in the book as the first death in Pennywise's new cycle.
Old 09-08-19, 01:25 AM
Banned

It was based on a real event.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill...Charlie_Howard

Read the book. The Adrian Mellon murder is the 1986 parallel to the Georgie murder. Each murder is the prologue to each part of the book’s two parts. Everything happens in parallel in the book. The Adrian Mellon murder happens around page 30 of an 1100 page book. It’s integral IF you tell things in the proper order.

Now I haven’t seen the movie yet, but in the book it is made abundantly clear that Pennywise watches the incident and then feeds on the body. Does the movie not show this?

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-08-19 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 01:42 AM
Banned

And yeah, gay bashing is pretty on point. At least in1986 terms when IT was written. The theme was all about the abuse that goes unnoticed and un-delt with in small towns.
Old 09-08-19, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone catch the child Ben cameo from the tv version?
Old 09-08-19, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by beckham
Did anyone catch the child Ben cameo from the tv version?
No, who/where was he?
Old 09-08-19, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Thematically I probably agree...beyond showing that Derry can be an awful place even excluding the clown. As to why that particular death...eh...it's in the book as the first death in Pennywise's new cycle.
It is made pretty clear throughout the book that Derry is sort of infected with negative vibes because of IT. Bad stuff happens and witnesses turn a blind eye.
Old 09-08-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brack

No, who/where was he?
He worked for the real Ben's company. The way they framed it, for people who were unaware of the book or miniseries, they kind of led you to believe he was adult Ben until Ben appeared on the TV during the meeting.
Old 09-08-19, 04:50 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Does the film have the baseball scene? Where like a team of dead corpses play baseball.
Well, they did splice in a random reel of Field of Dreams for some reason, but I like that movie so I didn't complain.

No, no baseball scene.
Old 09-08-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

It was ok. I do think comedy and one-liners every other fucking second was distracting as hell. Hader was the strongest in the cast and I laughed out loud when he imitates the Jabba the Hut making fun of inhaler kid's mother.

Speaking of the cameos already mentioned -- Producer Barbara Muschietti is the make-up artist on set in the beginning when McCavoy starts talking to his wife (right before Peter Bogdanovich is lowered down on that lift) and director Andy Muschietti is at the pharmacy (as a customer) when he goes to pick up the inhaler (as an adult). What's funny about Muschietti is that he looks like a younger version of Bam Margera.

I'll probably get the film and here's hoping that they make an Ultimate Edition of it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.