Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie do you credit as kickstarting the superhero genre? (not necessarily a Marvel thread)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movie do you credit as kickstarting the superhero genre? (not necessarily a Marvel thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 07:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So I just had this discussion with friend as which movie started the whole superhero genre.

He says first X-Men (Sony, then) but I think first Spider-Man (still Sony back then, and now oh, who knows wtf with them now) with Maguire.

Also, I know we had Blade’s, Spawn, Hellboy, what have you, but those certainly didn’t kick start.

I know Iron Man catapulted this MCU and EVERYTHING after (including indies, DC, etc.), but still don’t think would happen if not for Raimi’s Spider-Man.

So what one movie kicked started it all?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-30-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: What movie do you credit as starting superhero genre? (not necessarily a Marvel thread)

I'm not sure why you don't include stuff like the Superman or Batman films if you're going to talk about starting the genre. Otherwise, if you're talking interconnected universe then like you said it's Iron Man.

If you're going to say well there was a lull between the 80's and late 90s, then you have to credit Blade because it was the one that loosened the grip Marvel had tightly held onto preventing their stuff from being made into movies, followed by X-men. but I don't think X-men gets out of the development hell it was in without the success of Blade.

I would almost categorize Hellboy as non superhero, though, more of an independent, based on a comic book but not a superhero per se propertly like TMNT and the Mask.
Old 08-30-19, 07:50 PM

Re: What movie do you credit as starting superhero genre? (not necessarily a Marvel thread)

No, 78 and what 89? Those certainly didn’t kickstart anything. I mean starting the boom, not the intermittent. I guess I should rephrase title...
Old 08-30-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: What movie do you credit as kickstarting the superhero genre? (not necessarily a Marvel thread)

Black Widow. I see those characters going places!
Old 08-30-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: What movie do you credit as kickstarting the superhero genre? (not necessarily a Marvel thread)

It is rather odd that Hollywood didn't seem to notice from Superman and Batman that comic book movies made money. They sure noticed from Star Wars that sci-fi made money. Spent a significant part of my life dreaming of a Hulk movie one day. And imagine my disappointment when I finally got it.
Old 08-30-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I'm going with Iron Man. Not only did it start the whole MCU thing, but it showed that something other than the most popular characters could be successful (I would include Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, and X-Men in that category).

But don't overlook The Dark Knight from the same year. That showed that they could be even bigger business than before, and even aspire to get taken more seriously.
Old 08-30-19, 07:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Spiderman ('02). While I didn't like the backbreaking CGI acrobatics, it was well received and showed that with new technology the fantasy worlds these films take place in can be put on screen.
Old 08-30-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rennervision
It is rather odd that Hollywood didn't seem to notice from Superman and Batman that comic book movies made money. They sure noticed from Star Wars that sci-fi made money. Spent a significant part of my life dreaming of a Hulk movie one day. And imagine my disappointment when I finally got it.
If you look at those movies, they were each basically driven into the ground to the point that sequels were no longer viable. Superman tried to spin off to Supergirl and Steel but there was still a reluctance to really embrace the comic book storylines. Much like the long hiatus for new Star Wars movies, I think special effects had to catch up a bit in order for things to not seem campy.

I still don't get what the boom represents. The boom where comic book movies started becoming prevalent happened post Iron Man when they decided on a connected universe and had multiple interconnected films in the air at once, creating a seemingly endless barrage of content from a single source. Otherwise, comic book movies have, since the initial Superman movies, long been viable and seen as blockbusters. There just had never been sustained success (past two movies, let's say) before the MCU.
Old 08-30-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

If we're going by those rules, The original Avengers movie caused the boom. It's the first time major properties crossed over and it became a cohesive universe. People went and saw the individual movies, but it wasn't until they all appeared together that Marvel really started to kick it into high gear. I love Raimi's Spider-Man movies as much as anyone, but I don't think they're responsible for what is happening today.
Old 08-30-19, 08:05 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

X-Men
Old 08-30-19, 08:07 PM

Not all Raimi, just first and perhaps second. But only got second bc of first. And that would be more in line with Dark Knight and predates, while certainly not the deep darkness, SM2, was the more serious and showed could be successful as well. Perhaps those first two are the catalysts...
Old 08-30-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I don't really think of Blade as being a superhero movie. More of action-horror. I think that most of the people who saw it didn't even realize it was based on a Marvel comic book character.

I think that the success of the first X-Men movie really opened up the floodgates, and everyone started taking notice that superheroes could be box office gold, and studios were willing to invest a lot of money to bring them to the screen.

And it was also hit at the right time. Prior to the late 90s, I don't think the special effects technology was at the point it needed to be really make superhero movies that reflected the comic books. A Spider-Man movie made the late 80s or early 90s would have looked really bad.
Old 08-30-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't really think of Blade as being a superhero movie. More of action-horror. I think that most of the people who saw it didn't even realize it was based on a Marvel comic book character.

I think that the success of the first X-Men movie really opened up the floodgates, and everyone started taking notice that superheroes could be box office gold, and studios were willing to invest a lot of money to bring them to the screen.

And it was also hit at the right time. Prior to the late 90s, I don't think the special effects technology was at the point it needed to be really make superhero movies that reflected the comic books. A Spider-Man movie made the late 80s or early 90s would have looked really bad.
I agree that most don't even associate Blade with comic books. My initial point was that it showed Marvel that a serious movie could be made with their properties (I think to that point the only Marvel movie was Howard the Duck, which bombed hard) and probably helped fast track X-men, which to that point was just floating around without being developed. I'm not sure X-men gets made without Blade succeeding financially.

But I agree X-men is probably the starting point for a lot of what we consider comic book movies: costumes (modified, but otherwise pretty) faithful to the comics, villains the same, and without the camp of even the Burton movies. A plot that could've been taken out of a comic book. Special effects that made powers seem if not exactly realistic, at least enough to suspend my disbelief.
Old 08-30-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
But only got second bc of first.
Yeah, that's how it usually works.
Old 08-30-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
It is rather odd that Hollywood didn't seem to notice from Superman and Batman that comic book movies made money.
Weren't they trying to but it was an issue of rights holders at the time. Spider-man was going to be developed in the 80s by Cannon films but never came to fruition. Some studio had the rights to X-Men but they couldn't get it off the ground. Supergirl didn't do well, neither did The Punisher.

In the 90s Hollywood thought saw dollar signs with comic book properties and everything seemed to be coming out: The Shadow, The Mask, The Phantom, Tank Girl, Spawn, etc. Then that shit went bust until X-Men and Spider-man, Iron Man, and Dark Knight, and finally Avengers blew the gates wide open.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Superman tried to spin off to Supergirl and Steel but there was still a reluctance to really embrace the comic book storylines. Much like the long hiatus for new Star Wars movies, I think special effects had to catch up a bit in order for things to not seem campy.
That's funny now that you mention it. I remember the Spider-man live-action series didn't have any comic-related storylines. The Punisher '89 film completely changed the origin around, and did away with the skull emblem. A brand new villain too.

Old 08-30-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

X-Men. Then Spider-Man took the genre up to the next level.
Old 08-31-19, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Without question:

Old 08-31-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The first Superman was fun and poignant.

I credit X-Men. It brought class with the actors willing to be part of it. The pacing was a bit quick ... at the end I was wondering if there is another act.

Then bringing in Ang Lee and Christopher Nolan turbocharged the genre by blending Hollywood prestige with comics.

Spiderman always felt felt like a natural progression of the older era of bad superhero movies. It felt more fun and silly than the MCU.

I think anime adaptations are the next stage. We’ve gotten bad ones for a long time. Alita and Ghost in the Shell are getting better. Sometime soon we are gonna get some prestigious Oscar caliber anime adaptation.
Old 08-31-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Probably X-Men, but really I would say Spider-Man brought superhero films to a whole new level as far as getting more casual fans interested. From there comic films coasted along to varying degrees of success. Nolan brought prestige to the genre and the MCU/Iron Man changed the game forever.
Old 09-01-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think anime adaptations are the next stage. We’ve gotten bad ones for a long time. Alita and Ghost in the Shell are getting better. Sometime soon we are gonna get some prestigious Oscar caliber anime adaptation.
I kind of doubt it. Unless Hollywood embraces the medium like they did comic books, or some big manga/anime company gets enough pull, it just feels like they don't "get" what makes an anime/manga special and instead just want to throw most of it away and do their own story with the property. Alita was a step in the right direction (even if the eyes are still, IMHO, a step too far and missing the point), but it didn't set the box office on fire and I'm not even sure it'll continue. The thing I'm most interested in is the One Piece tv series said to be in development with oda heavily involved, which seems impossible to pull off and even insane but at least the creator is right there.

I also want to say the Wachowski's got it right with Speed Racer (maybe not as an adaptation but certainly as a live action anime) and that was a big bomb.
Old 09-01-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’ll go the opposite direction and credit Batman and Robin. I think it’s failure was the hard slap in the face Hollywood needed to realize the quality of these films is important. I’d say the tone, groundedness and even color choices of X-Men were a direct reaction to the campy, technicolor yawn fever dream style of BAR.
Old 09-01-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Probably X-Men, but really I would say Spider-Man brought superhero films to a whole new level as far as getting more casual fans interested. From there comic films coasted along to varying degrees of success. Nolan brought prestige to the genre and the MCU/Iron Man changed the game forever.
This is how I feel, too.
Old 09-01-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

The Green Hornet starring Seth Rogen and Jay Chou all the way.

The superhero genre floodgate just exploded after that one.

Last edited by davidlynchfan; 09-01-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I would say Superman: The Movie started the idea of big budget super hero movies, but super hero movie were still rare events during that period and through the 1990's. I think the modern proliferation of superhero movies start with The X-Men in 2000 and grew from there. Due to the success of the X-Men which was somewhat of an obscure group and not a household name at the time,
Marvel and/or DC had a big budget movie coming out at least once a year ever since. Had the X-Men been a flop the boom may not have happened and a lot of these movies may not have been released because of it.
Old 09-01-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think Sony would have still tried with Spider-Man whether a film like X-Men did well or not. Spider-Man in my opinion has probably always had more of a mainstream appeal than the X-Men. X-Men as a film franchise was probably a bit more of a gamble in the sense that it may have been harder to get a casual audience member at that time to care about the social/political aspects that lie within the storytelling of those films, and as mentioned aside from Wolverine they were somewhat more obscure. Although they probably gained more fans from the nineties animated series which only stopped airing a few years prior to the film. Luckily they were able to strike a balance between the films being too heavy handed with their messages (mostly), and also had interesting characters which helped make the films successful.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-01-19 at 04:02 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.