Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Sony's Spiderman 3 - The Divorce from Marvel

Originally Posted by Mike86

You really believe that Fiege wouldn’t have clearly laid it out before the deal was ever put into action that if the two parted ways Holland’s status as the character wouldn’t be impacted? I feel like there’s no way the heads of Marvel Studios and Disney would have ever agreed to that.
I do. It was Sony's character and their post valuable asset. There was no way they would give up control. The partnership with Marvel certainly strengthened the brand and rejuvenated the franchise. But Spidey is owned by Sony and if they want Holland to play the part, what recourse would Marvel have? Sony held the cards here, not Marvel.

And while I greatly enjoyed Far From Home, let's be honest : The MCU connection, besides the first post-snap set ups, were pretty unimpressive. I don't think Nick Fury or Hap brought much essential to the table -- certainly nothing like Iron Man did in the previous film. If they bring back the same characters minus the MCU connections, I don't think they miss much.
Old 08-20-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
You really believe Sony would allow anything else? It's their property, they paid for the movies, they come out ahead no matter what.
It was a two way agreement. There's no way there weren't some stipulations put in place. That would be absolutely stupid terms to agree to on the part of Marvel Studios and Disney.
Old 08-20-19, 04:24 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

It was a two way agreement. There's no way there weren't some stipulations put in place. That would be absolutely stupid terms to agree to on the part of Marvel Studios and Disney.
Yes, and Disney profited with Civil War, IW and Endgame because of it. They wanted to use the character and they got to. Beyond that, what else can they do? They don't own it.
Old 08-20-19, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I do. It was Sony's character and their post valuable asset. There was no way they would give up control. The partnership with Marvel certainly strengthened the brand and rejuvenated the franchise. But Spidey is owned by Sony and if they want Holland to play the part, what recourse would Marvel have? Sony held the cards here, not Marvel.

And while I greatly enjoyed Far From Home, let's be honest : The MCU connection, besides the first post-snap set ups, were pretty unimpressive. I don't think Nick Fury or Hap brought much essential to the table -- certainly nothing like Iron Man did in the previous film. If they bring back the same characters minus the MCU connections, I don't think they miss much.
Exactly.

I'm more concerned with not having Peter in place for Avengers movies. Him in a leadership role would be great.
Old 08-20-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, and Disney profited with Civil War, IW and Endgame because of it.
Of course they did. I never said differently in that respect. Disney is a very smart company when it comes to things like this though. They weren't just being buddies with Sony and doing this as a favor. They were doing it because both sides stood to make money. I just find it hard to believe there's not more to it than we currently know. Why would they just allow the continued use of a version of the character they popularized whether Sony currently owns the rights or not without stipulations if a situation like this ever arose? It makes no sense from their stance.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-20-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 04:34 PM

re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland

Because Disney had no power to allow otherwise. What your saying makes no sense from Sony’s stance and they would better off not make a deal that would allow how someone dictate their property after the agreement ended.
Old 08-20-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because Disney had no power to allow otherwise. What your saying makes no sense from Sony’s stance.
But you aren't seeming to take into account Marvel's side of the agreement. This was a weird arrangement from the start.
Old 08-20-19, 04:37 PM

But you aren't seeming to take into account Marvel's side of the agreement. This was a weird arrangement from the start.
They got a 5% fee of tickets. What else would they have gotten?
Old 08-20-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I'm saying is normally when an agreement like this comes between two companies there are terms and conditions to it. If one company leaves the party there's generally ramifications. I could be wrong and am not claiming to be correct with certainty, but I find it very hard to believe to think that Disney wouldn't have terms like this in the contract. I guess we'll find out what happens.
Old 08-20-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't blame Sony, as I assume Disney was allowed to use Spiderman in the MCU films without cost and in exchange they helped Sony produce his solo films and made a little money on top of that. Seems like a fair arrangement, but of course Disney always wants more, more, and more. Frankly, if they plan on more Avengers films, they're going to regret not having access to him as he would be the biggest solo draw left with the possible exception of Thor.
Old 08-20-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

They also, more importantly, got the rights to use that character in three of their own movies.
Old 08-20-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Don't blame Sony at all. Disney greatly benefited from using Marvel's most popular character in their movies which they just don't happen to own in films.
Old 08-20-19, 05:18 PM

They also, more importantly, got the rights to use that character in three of their own movies.
Which I previously mentioned.
Old 08-20-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

There’s no way Marvel Studios is just handing Sony the reigns to make more movies off of something they helped make successful.
You think? Personally I think it's a move that Kevin Feige would easily pull. Sony and that idiot Amy Pascal ran the Spiderman franchise into the ground and it's recent success is totally due to Marvel being brought into the fold. Going forward without them they will hit success with a third movie, but only due to the ground work of the last two movies. After that they are screwed.

It will also make it very hard in a third movie for Sony because I am sure Marvel will make it clear they can no longer reference any characters, events, places etc. from their movies. The tone of Spiderman will have to be very different.

Sony are a bunch of morons and Pascal is the worst of the bunch. Its a company that's been struggling for years and their own poor decisions are leading to their downfall. Marvel Now has all the Fox properties back so I am sure they are happy to concentrate on those now instead.

When Sony comes back begging I imagine Marvel will refuse to work for them and simply be waiting to for the moment the Sony movie division goes on sale and will snap it up.
Old 08-20-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

And i would say the character had a greater impact in those movies than in Sonys. So I would say Sony benefited even more for the Marvel appearances boosting ticket sales for their own solo Spiderman movies.
Old 08-20-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (7/2/2019, D: Watts)

Originally Posted by Noonan
Just curious, why is everyone shoving the blame on Sony and not Disney for letting Sony in on the franchise they control?
Because they suck? Seriously, Marvel has churned out some of the best superhero movies ever. They have a track record. They know what they are doing. Sony? Not so much.
Old 08-20-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I was so hoping Spider-Man was going to become the new "star" of the MCU like Iron Man had been. Very depressing news.
Old 08-20-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sony's Spider-Man 3 - The Divorce from Marvel

Originally Posted by james2025a
And i would say the character had a greater impact in those movies than in Sonys. So I would say Sony benefited even more for the Marvel appearances boosting ticket sales for their own solo Spiderman movies.
Exactly. The deal came about because Sony had fucked up the brand so hard and had just recently done a reboot. The only way it made sense to re-introduce the character again was for him to be a part of something bigger aka the MCU.

Marvel Studios didn’t need Spider-Man. Sure they wanted him and it didn’t hurt the films that he was there, but the MCU was already a success without him. The deal really benefited Sony more, which is why I find it hard to believe that the agreement didn’t come with stipulations.

It’s not like out of kindness Disney agreed to co-finance to solo Spider-Man films that they saw little profit from and didn’t have some clauses protecting them from a situation like this.
Old 08-20-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

If there's going to be "new" Spider-Man movies made, give us a live action Miles Morales Spider-Man film. Peter Parker has been done to death. Move on with Miles.
Old 08-20-19, 05:44 PM

Re: Sony's Spider-Man 3 - The Divorce from Marvel

Exactly. The deal came about because Sony had fucked up the brand so hard and had just recently done a reboot. The only way it made sense to re-introduce the character again was for him to be a part of something bigger aka the MCU.

Marvel Studios didn’t need Spider-Man. Sure they wanted him and it didn’t hurt the films that he was there, but the MCU was already a success without him. The deal really benefited Sony more, which is why I find it hard to believe that the agreement didn’t come with stipulations.

It’s not like out of kindness Disney agreed to co-finance to solo Spider-Man films that they saw little profit from and didn’t have some clauses protecting them from a situation like this.
They didn’t co-finance.
Old 08-20-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Because they suck? Seriously, Marvel has churned out some of the best superhero movies ever. They have a track record. They know what they are doing. Sony? Not so much.
Sony can still continue the franchise and hire the same people without Marvel overseeing it and grabbing more of the profits. Looking at the next slate of MCU films, Spidey wouldn't play a very large part and why would Sony want to wait for particular release dates just to fit into the MCU? Between Holland and the Spider-verse.. Sony can build on that model. The big question is how Morbius and Venom 2 perform. The way things are set up now, with the possibility of a Kraven movie, is that it's heading towards what we've wanted all along.. a Sinister Six movie. And all profits (except for merchandising) goes into Sony's pocket. They just need to keep Pascal on in name only and not give her any say in the production of the film.

Now if Sony handles all of this like they did with MiB International, then we can talk about how much this all sucks.
Old 08-20-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
If there's going to be "new" Spider-Man movies made, give us a live action Miles Morales Spider-Man film. Peter Parker has been done to death. Move on with Miles.
Would rather have a Spider-Gwen live-action.

Miles can continue with the awesome Spider-verse animated films.
Old 08-20-19, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Sony can still continue the franchise and hire the same people without Marvel overseeing it and grabbing more of the profits. Looking at the next slate of MCU films, Spidey wouldn't play a very large part and why would Sony want to wait for particular release dates just to fit into the MCU? Between Holland and the Spider-verse.. Sony can build on that model. The big question is how Morbius and Venom 2 perform. The way things are set up now, with the possibility of a Kraven movie, is that it's heading towards what we've wanted all along.. a Sinister Six movie. And all profits (except for merchandising) goes into Sony's pocket. They just need to keep Pascal on in name only and not give her any say in the production of the film.

Now if Sony handles all of this like they did with MiB International, then we can talk about how much this all sucks.
He has spoken.
Old 08-20-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Except Holland is one of the best casting decisions in a whole slew of great casting decisions throughout the MCU. We no have to watch a great Spider-Man actor in lower quality movies from Sony. Fucking lame.
Old 08-20-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Hypothetically speaking, is a larger share of profit from a sub $1 billion movie better than a smaller share from an over $1 billion grosser? To me, it seems like they shit the bed with the previous Garfield Spider-Man movies, then once the Marvel deal was struck, they hit paydirt. Why mess with a proven model? Dumb ass business always want more, more more. Just be happy you didn't fuck up Spider-Man franchise again and cash those fat checks. It's also hilarious that Sony was touting the last Spider-man as the highest grossing Sony movie ever just the other week. Enjoy that record, because once you take PP out of the MCU, you aren't ever sniffing that benchmark again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.