Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Aladdin 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 05:45 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Disney's Aladdin 2

Disney has been raking in the cash from its series of live-action (and/or realistic CGI) remakes of its classic animated fare. The Lion King may be wart-hogging the spotlight now, but earlier this year a new take on an old favorite made waves — so much so that there's already talk of a sequel.

Aladdin, directed by Guy Ritchie, crossed the $1 billion mark less than a month ago, fueled by nostalgic fans and those simply curious to see Will Smith's big blue genie. Now, according to one of the film's producers, the future of Aladdin is already starting to snap into focus. When SYFY WIRE asked Dan Lin about making a sequel, possibly a remake of original direct-to-video follow-up Aladdin: The Return of Jafar, he was optimistic.

"We’d love to," the producer says. "People clearly loved the movie and watched it multiple times and we get lots of fan letters and people asking us to make Return [of] Jafar, and I can just tell you that we’re in early stages right now, but we’re certainly talking about another movie. Like with Aladdin, it will not be a straight remake of any movie that’s been made before, so we’re looking at ‘where’s the best way to go with these characters.’"

And it's all being buoyed by the warm reception the live-action remake has received from moviegoers. "The audience response has really touched us in thinking about where we can go with these stories," he adds, "and we feel like these characters have more adventures in store."

So perhaps not a by-the-book remake of Return of Jafar — which would be possible considering the groundwork laid by the 2019 film's ending — but something that could take the villain's story in a new direction while still including parts of the sequel. Aladdin did include some differences, which helped keep it fresh for audiences familiar with the original. Now that Lin and crew are "talking about another movie," those same concerns arise.

But some of that could be addressed by securing the man who helped helm Aladdin to its lucrative success: Guy Ritchie. Lin says that getting Ritchie on board for the sequel was a top order of business.

"Yeah, I think that’s certainly the hope," Lin explains. "He made this movie for his kids. They loved Aladdin, both the original animated movie and the Broadway musical, and they wanted him to make a movie that they could see. So he certainly loved the experience, I think both he and Will Smith — even before the box office success, they said it was the best filmmaking experience of their lives and they had so much fun doing it. And we’d love to have Guy back and get the team back together. If we do another Aladdin movie, we’d certainly love to have him at the helm."
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/aladdi...-stages-disney
Old 08-12-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts
re: Disney's Aladdin 2

So we’ve now reached the point of love action remakes of Disney’s shitty 90s direct-to-video movies?

I look forward to the live action Lion King 1 1/2.
Old 08-12-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Nononononononono. No.
Old 08-12-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Not sure how I feel about it. I mean if they're gonna remake things into live-action I guess going ahead and doing some of their sequels is ideal rather than just stopping with the first film.. But sounds like they plan to shake things up by coming up with a mostly original story with just some elements from Return of Jafar. Which I suppose could also work... People seem to get upset if they shake things up too much with these remakes though but then also get upset if it's 1:1 identical, so seems like people are upset regardless, yet these films keep making money so apparently despite everything, people are watching them.

I expected Aladdin to be bad but I was pleasantly surprised. I figured I'd hate Smith as the Genie, but he wasn't too bad. My biggest complaint was the miscast of Jafar honestly.
Old 08-13-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I assume they know what they're doing, but sequels to popular adaptations seem to have pretty diminished returns.

ie:

Last edited by RichC2; 08-13-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

‘Aladdin’ Sequel in the Works (EXCLUSIVE)

With new horizons to pursue, “Aladdin” is getting a sequel.

Following the massive success of last summer’s reboot, Disney is developing a follow-up to the film with writers John Gatins and Andrea Berloff.

Sources say the movie is in early development, but after spending the last six months figuring out what direction to take the next film, producers look to have found their path.

It’s unknown at this time whether director Guy Ritchie will return. Producers hope to bring back stars Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott, but offers won’t be extended to the cast until a script is ready.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/a...el-1203502713/

Although The Hollywood Reporter says Ritchie is set to return along with the main cast...

Guy Ritchie is set to return to the director's chair, while Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott are expected to reprise their roles as Genie, Aladdin and Jasmine, respectively.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...direct-1279150
Old 02-13-20, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Hopefully, Genie can give Aladdin a personality this time.