DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - documentary - September 6, 2019 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/648338-linda-ronstadt-sound-my-voice-documentary-september-6-2019-a.html)

grundle 08-06-19 09:43 PM

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - documentary - September 6, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_...nd_of_My_Voice

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice is a 2019 documentary film about American singer Linda Ronstadt. It was directed by Oscar-winning filmmakers Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman. It features interviews with Dolly Parton, Bonnie Raitt and Emmy Lou Harris.

It had its world premiere at Tribeca Film Festival on April 26, 2019. It won the Audience Award for Best Documentary at the 2019 Provincetown International Film Festival.

Greenwich Entertainment, 1091 and CNN Films will release “Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice” in theaters in September 2019.

Paul_SD 08-06-19 10:17 PM

Re: Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - documentary - September 6, 2019

It's just been in the last couple years that I've come to appreciate what a phenomenal artist she was. Watching her in the film"FM" a couple weeks back was a real treat.

I'll probably pick it up when it hits Bd no matter what, but I hope it features full song performance clips, not a quick chorus and then cut to another talking head.

TomOpus 08-06-19 11:17 PM

It'll be heartbreaking to watch but I love Linda, so I must.

asianxcore 04-07-20 03:21 PM

Saw this last night.

Having grown up with Linda Ronstadt's music playing throughout my household, I was very much looking forward to this Documentary.

The Documentary is pretty light, celebrating the life & career of Linda Ronstadt through an endless slew of archival footage (interviews/live performances) and anecdotes from everyone from Dolly Parton & Emmylou Harris to Don Henley & Bonnie Raitt.

Ronstadt narrates portions of the Documentary, which I enjoyed and the last 10+ minutes of the Documentary contain her singing with family members and lightly speaking on her diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease :(

Paff 04-07-20 04:19 PM

I've been listening to quite a bit of Ms. Ronstadt's music lately. As a (still wearing) leather jacket punk rocker, it's not in my usual wheelhouse, but damn the woman could sing.

That said, you can probably guess my favorite record is Mad Love. It's funny, Wikipedia says it's "not a New Wave record", to which I say hell yes it is. Just because it's not synth-heavy or sounding like Devo or anything, it's definitely a classic rock artist being influenced by music of the time (see albums by Billy Joel, J. Geils Band, and Alice Cooper from the same time period). Hell, there's three Elvis Costello songs on the damn thing! After that, my next favorite record is Simple Dreams. I was around when that record was big, and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting that damn Blue Bayou song, so as good as her vocals are on it (and they are), it's still too boring. But her renditions of It's So Easy, Poor Poor Pitiful Me, and Tumblin' Dice are top friggin notch.

TomOpus 04-07-20 07:58 PM

I remember E. C. not being happy she covered his songs.

Paff 04-07-20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13719998)
I remember E. C. not being happy she covered his songs.

The story was he didn't like her version of Alison on Living in the USA, but he quipped that he liked the royalties. To which Linda said something along the lines of "Keep sending me the songs and I'll send you the checks", hence the three EC songs on Mad Love.

It's also been noted he's softened his stance since then, and come to appreciate her versions. I mean, how can you not? Although her "Girls Talk" just is not quite up to Dave Edmunds' version, but that's not an insult to her; Dave friggin' owned that song.

Paul_SD 04-08-20 04:09 PM

I love Linda, but I would never take her version of Allison over EC's.

Picked up the doc last year (in a Target B2G1 sale), and in what is a very rare move for me, watched it the same night I got it.
I thought it was a fantastic primer on her life and career and had no complaints whatsoever. I can't remember how many performances of songs were more or less complete, but the brevity of those was a concern for me going in and I didn't feel slighted when it was over.

'Bout the only thing I could add would be that I would love to see a release of that full concert where she's wearing the scout uniform. Is that Atlanta? I think that would be a year or two before Living In The USA IIRC.

OldBoy 04-08-20 07:40 PM

Is this streaming for free anywhere? Wasn’t it already on like CNN or PBS special?

asianxcore 04-08-20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13720538)
Is this streaming for free anywhere?

Not that I've seen but it's only $2.99-3.99 to rent.

Decker 04-09-20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13720538)
Is this streaming for free anywhere? Wasn’t it already on like CNN or PBS special?

Yes it was on CNN earlier this year.

Decker 04-14-20 11:29 PM

Bought it from VUDU today. It's on sale for $6.99.
Watched it tonight. Thought it was fantastic. What a great synopsis of a remarkable music career. So many good interviews and wonderful live performances. I had forgotten how much I loved her music. Highly recommend.

Mr. Flix 04-15-20 11:14 AM

What really struck me when watching this doc was how, by all appearances, Ronstadt just basically fell into rock stardom. Hers was definitely not a waiting-tables-for-years-until-my-big-break story. It was almost humorous how easily her career took off (or at least, that's how the documentary presented it... maybe there were more struggles for her that the doc didn't bother to cover). Not that I begrudge her the success she found. She was very attractive, had a natural stage presence, and possessed the kind of pipes that could sing just about any genre effortlessly. So it's no wonder she was "discovered" quickly; she was the perfect pop star package in just about every respect.

The doc made me sad, ultimately. She was such an incredible singer. Such amazing pitch and vocal control. And now it's gone. She's like a bird with her wings clipped. But she seems to be taking it in stride, which seems to be the way she approached all of life.

Decker 04-15-20 11:56 AM

They barely touched on it, but she was kind of last of her kind : A super-famous artist who made basically her entire career out of reinterpreting other people's well-known songs. So much of Rock is focused on the singer-songwriter, and rightly so. But here was an artist who wasn't interested in writing songs, but also apparently not so interested in singing other people's new compositions before they get recorded by someone else (which is how most pop singers who do not write their own material do it these days -- and how you end up with stuff like Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone" sounding identical to Beyonce's "Halo"). They did have Karla Bonoff mention how there's no way she could sing her own song the way Linda did. But the idea that someone would take a recent Rolling Stones or Elvis Costello hit and release their own version of it and have it become a huge hit in its own right -- that sort of thing would be unthinkable these days. That's the realm of American Idol, The Voice and lounge acts now. But what Linda could do with a well-known pop or rock song was astonishing.