Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you watch older movies that return to theatres for a special engagement?
Yes
25.00%
No
21.15%
Maybe - It depends on the movie
53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

Only if it's on film, and then only if it's at a good theater (mainly with a good-sized screen and not chopped up into smaller theaters.) I can watch letterboxed video at home with my cats, why would I go out to see the same thing?

Would love to compare that Dolby Cinema presentation of The Matrix to a good film print- I saw that on film on a pathetically small screen though.
Old 08-07-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

Yes. Obviously not if I don't care about the movie, but off the top of my head I've seen Jaws, Bonnie and Clyde, and Back to the Future. I would see Matrix on the big screen again.
I dragged my son to see BTTF and he loved it.
Good point- I wouldn't pay much of a premium for a movie that is readily available elsewhere, unless they up the ante somehow. All the ones I've seen were regular movie price.
Old 08-07-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not really, mostly because of cost. I wanted to take the kids to the Iron Giant event a year or so back but at $15+ a ticket, my family of four was looking at $60+ to watch a movie sitting 10 feet away on my shelf. I don't think so.

Plus the last one I did go to (years ago) was Braveheart. I was looking forward to seeing it as the BD had some color issues. So it comes up and...they're playing the BD on the big screen. Waste of money.
Old 08-07-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Here where I live we have a Harkins Theatre that does a special "Tuesday Night Classics" with $5 tickets of certain classics they bring back to the big screen. it's year round

I know Harkins is a small chain, but here's some of the upcoming classics

https://www.harkins.com/movies/tuesday_night_classics

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Saturday Night Fever

Rudy

Escape from New York

Ghost Busters

$5 is a good deal. Granted I haven't had time on Tuesdays to do this, but I may now do it.
Old 08-07-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I would go see some film I really loved -- like Alien, Blade Runner, Blue Velvet, Star Wars, The Thing, 2001 A Space Odyssey -- and the theater was within ten minutes of where I live.
Old 08-08-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I never have but if it was the right film like JC's The Thing or something like that I probably would.
Old 08-08-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If I never saw it in the theater I do. I've seen Grease and Dirty Dancing and they were a lot of fun since everyone knows the line. The Matrix I probably wouldn't just because I don't think seeing it with a crowd would add anything.
Old 08-08-19, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate going to the theater, but i occasionally do for old movies in special engagements. Living in california part time we get allot with the cast or crew at the screening so that ads allot to it for me. When im here in england i never go to the theater. Its just bot worth it anymore for the cost of a theater i can buy it on dvd when it comes out but the rereleases are usually always cheap so its a worthwhile expense to me.
Old 08-08-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I went to see Alien for its 25th anniversary.

I'm not sure if Apocalypse Now Redux or the authorized restoration of Metropolis count, but I saw both of those theatrically as well.

I have not been to any Fathom events.
Old 08-08-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Yup!

Even if they are shown digitally, it's still fun to see a film you enjoy in an actual theater.
Old 08-09-19, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Even if they are shown digitally, it's still fun to see a film you enjoy in an actual theater.
Old 08-09-19, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don’t do the Fathom Events but did do the CEOT3K in Dolby.
In NYC there are numerous theaters showing classic movies every day. The Alamo here has at least 3 per week and I try to go whenever it’s 35mm.
Old 08-09-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

I've caught a few... Jaws and Halloween come to mind.
Old 08-09-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

If it's a film I really enjoyed, I will. I can't remember the name, but I went last year to see an Elvis concert film.
Old 08-09-19, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a movie I love I try to attend a screening if I can get it to fit in the schedule.

JAWS
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Goonies
Ghostbusters
Iron Giant
Muppet Movie

I've seen them a million times, and I've even seen most of those on the big screen during release - but watching them at home on blu-ray is NOTHING like watching them in a theater - I go to rereleases for that experience. To see it on the big screen.
Old 08-09-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Generally no, very rarely. But Tuesday night I went and saw It Chapter 1.

I think the local theater near me was advertising a bunch for the summer and there were a few of them I wouldn't mind seeing on the big screen again. But probably won't go.
Old 08-09-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

The last re-release I saw was Ridley Scott's "final cut" of "Blade Runner" in 2007. I just looked and didn't realize it only played in limited theaters. But it did play for a week. From Wiki:

Ridley Scott's Final Cut of the film began a limited theatrical release in New York and Los Angeles on October 5, 2007; in Washington, D.C. at the Uptown Theatre on October 26, 2007; Chicago on November 2, 2007; in Toronto on November 9, 2007 at Theatre D Digital's Regent Theatre; Sydney, Australia at the Hayden Orpheum on November 8, 2007; Melbourne, Australia on November 15, 2007 at The Astor Theatre; Brookline at the Coolidge Corner Theater on November 16, 2007 and Austin, Texas on November 18, 2007.
Old 08-11-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
2001 in 4K was phenomenal in the cinema before the disc came out.
That's the only one I've seen. I never saw it when it originally came out, but have seen it quite a few times on disc.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Even though I knew what was coming throughout the movie, it still felt like I was seeing it for the first time. There's something about fully dedicating the time and viewing experience on a large screen, that changes it from a home viewing.
Old 08-11-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I saw the Fathom Events presentation of Star Trek: The Next Generation 2-part episode, "The Best of Both Worlds". I regret nothing.
Old 08-11-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I've seen the original Star Wars trilogy whenthey rereleased them in theaters in the late 90's. The only other one I recall seeing was The Exorcist. Other than that I went to a Fathom event some years back when they were screening two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation for a prerelease of the blu-ray edition. They picked the two horible episodes, bith season one from what I recall. One was the one with the crystailing entity and I can't remember the other episode. It wasn't a great experiece as these werent really meant to be seen on the big screen and having them on there in a 4:3 screen ration seemed really odd. Every seat was filled and the AC wasn't up high enough so it was incredibly hot and uncomfortable watching them. Most people in my group couldn't wait for them to end so they could leave.

I don't think I'd pay to see an old movie in the theater again, especially if they are the Fathom events with the jacked up ticket prices. If it was an old movie I have never seen before but wanted to see, I would maybe go to see it.

Our local science museum down town has a "Last Friday" of the month event where they will show an old, sometimes obscure movie that is tied to an upcoming holiday or remake that is coming out. Before the movie the moderator will also show a few old short education films from the 1940's to the 1970's that are somehow related to the them of the movie. I'll sometimes go to those with a few friends. The educational films are often as entertaining as the films as they are so dated that sometimes the information or methodology in them are no longer valid. One film they were talking about studying something, so they showed the person getting strapped up in a protective asbestos suit.
Old 10-06-19, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Ghostbusters 35th anniversary is playing in theatres on Sunday and on the 10th.

It's one of those Fathom Events promotions.

I do own Ghostbusters on BD, but back in 1984, I was only 11 and never saw it when it was in theatres. My parents rarely took me or my sister to the movies.

So, I had a free movie pass from Cinemark, which Fathom is good for apparently, and I'm going to see it tomorrow. It apparently has a special newly shot introduction from Reitman and some of the cast.

I do feel a little weird driving to the theatre to see it, since it's on my shelf, but when am I ever going to have a theatrical experience for this movie ever again and the ticket is free, so why not?
Old 10-06-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I attended the BeyondFest 10th anniversary screening of Jennifer's Body with a Q&A with Karyn Kusama and Megan Fox (they had a short intro from Amanda Seyfried who couldn't make it. I think she just had a baby). And it was a 35mm print.

I'm sorry I missed getting tickets for the Natural Born Killers 25th anniversary screening with Stone, Harrelson and Lewis for that panel.

If I go to see a revival, I always hope it's a film print presentation, but I understand if it can't be. I had a friend that asked why I would rather see an original print over a digital copy and I asked him, why do you listen to vinyl over a CD?
Old 10-06-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I've seen countless older movies in theaters. Most recently I saw Lawrence of Arabia through Fathom Events and I'll probably go to the Alien showing they are doing next week.
Old 10-07-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

I do it all the time. Just went to see Ghostbusters yesterday.

Singin' in the Rain a couple of years ago was particularly good. Pretty decent turnout, lot's of laughter and applause.
Old 10-07-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

All the time. I'm a few blocks away from a theatre in Vancouver that shows classic movies weekly. It's great to see some of my favorite movies on the big screen that I never had a chance to before because of when they came out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.