Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you watch older movies that return to theatres for a special engagement?
Yes
25.00%
No
21.15%
Maybe - It depends on the movie
53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

For example,. The Matrix is returning to theatres for a 1 week special engagement for it's 20th anniversary from August 30th through September 5th.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20...ter-screenings

and it's playing in Dolby Cinema. That projection technology didn't exist 20 years ago.

Countless other movies have made returns to the big screen for special engagements.

The Karate Kid came back to theatres with a new 4K transfer for it's 35th anniversary

and Superman the movie came back to theatres last year for it's 40th anniversary

Marvel re-released all the MCU movies last year as well.

and I believe Apocalypse Now is also returning for a limited special engagement with a new 4K transfer.

So well, do you? or are you one of those who think it's a waste of time and money.

Last year I saw a new 4K transfer re-release of The Joy Luck Club for it's 25th anniversary at the Academy in Los Angeles. I only paid $5 to see it and the cast and crew was there for a Q&A.

For me it would depend on the movie and how much I like it and how much time I have. I'm iffy on this Matrix because I own the complete set on 4K and also have a 4K TV.
Old 08-06-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

I rarely go see new movies in theaters so, no. But I also don't live in an area where you're not going to get some special Q&A with the cast and crew.
Old 08-06-19, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Do you watch older movies that return to the theatre for a "special" engagement?

I try and avoid all Fathom Events stuff, but I'll occasionally go see something again if it's like for the summer series type stuff, which is mostly on film. I also find it harder to go see something like, say The Matrix when I have in many cases a better sight and sound system than most places who will do the screenings. So I guess my answer is rarely.
Old 08-06-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I would but where I live we rarely get special screenings/revivals of old films. I saw the Star Wars Trilogy special editions back in 1997 as a kid (pretty sure I saw all three). I made a special trip with some friends to watch The Dark Knight Trilogy back in 2012 when The Dark Knight Rises came out. Locally a few years back my town had a car show and to coincide showed a couple films featuring classic cars. Saw Back to the Future and American Graffiti and both were free showings. Saw the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park a few years back.

I wanted to go to the 30th anniversary showing of Burton's Batman back in May but I had to work and couldn't go. I might try going to a 40th anniversary showing of Star Trek: The Motion Picture next month if I'm off and can make the trip.
Old 08-06-19, 04:50 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

2 years ago took my kids to see CEOT3K on the biggest screen in town. They’d never seen it. Such a great experience.
Old 08-06-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Read the topic title and before clicking on the thread I told myself how cool it would have been to watch The Matrix in theaters. It must have been amazing in 1999 in theaters seeing The Matrix and the ending.

It's too late now, I have seen The Matrix so many times on disc platform that the surprise moment and ending in theaters is pointless.

Such moments are only to be experienced once and I missed that chance.
Old 08-06-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

The only time I did this is when the original "Gojira" was on tour.
Old 08-06-19, 05:10 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Rarely. The last time I did this was for Purple Rain after Prince’s death.
Old 08-06-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Rarely.

I did see the Star Wars Special Editions when they were released in 1997

saw the 3D re-releases of Titanic and Jurassic Park a few years ago.

Tried to see a re-release of Back to the Future a few years ago but it wouldn’t work so we watched The Town instead.

I think unless it’s a “classic” movie like Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Lawrence of Arabia I probably wouldn’t waste my time.

Chances are, if it was a big movie and released when I was old enough to remember seeing it in the theater, I probably saw it in the theater.
Old 08-06-19, 06:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Not necessarily for "special" anniversary events, per se, but I go to repertory screenings a few times a month and it's almost always a lot of fun. My local cinema has an ongoing Friday night horror movie (or double feature) and I go as often as I'm able. Just saw The People Under The Stairs last weekend, a movie I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.

That said, there's been a few anniversary ones too I guess. 2001 in 4K was phenomenal in the cinema before the disc came out. There have been others.

So I'll vote Yes.
Old 08-06-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Star Wars trilogy at the San Jose Century 21 Cinedome in 1997 and Enter the Dragon in the early 2000s.
Old 08-06-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I forget which thread I noted this in quite some time back but I am on the record as having gone to see The Monster Squad when it had a special screening at the Camera Cinemas in Downtown San Jose. We were treated to a Q & A by some of the stars and the director of the film.

The real cherry on top of the sundae was being able to get my Press Kit signed by most of the cast and the director. Well...actually, the real cool thing was when Fred Dekker asked if he could remove some of the movie stills from the plastic sleeve they were in and reminisced over some of the scenes in the photos....such a freaking cool memory. I was thrilled that he enjoyed checking out the Press Kit. I still have it sitting on my shelf filled with art books and other pop culture stuff.
Old 08-06-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about "special engagements" but I've seen several dozen to a hundred non-new movies in theaters.

Lawrence of Arabia 4 times.
Blade Runner 3 or 4 times.
2001: a Space Odyssey 3 times. Only one was the 50th anniversary release.
Pulp Fiction 2 or 3 times.
Halloween 2 times.
All three Star Wars (SE) in 1997, all three LOTR (EE) just last year.
Two years ago, a local theater had a Lynch retrospective. I managed to see Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Dune, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, and Lost Highway.
Many years ago, another local theater, in one month played Lawrence, Gone with the Wind, Braveheart, and (I think) Casablanca. Went to all four.
Saw the Matrix in theaters already this year.
Raiders, Goodfellas, Close Encounters, Nausicaa, Annie Hall, Ghostbusters, A Hard Day's Night, the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and on and on and on.
I scheduled an upcoming vacation to coincide with the Apocalypse Now Final Cut.

If something is an old favorite, why not see it the way it's meant to be seen?

Originally Posted by Sonic
It's too late now, I have seen The Matrix so many times on disc platform that the surprise moment and ending in theaters is pointless.

Such moments are only to be experienced once and I missed that chance.
I highly recomment that you go. It's always different in a theater. Just because you can't be surprised by plot twists doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 08-07-19 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My criteria is too see something on the big screen that I may not have seen growing up or even in theaters when I was able to go. Most recently I went to the Tarantino Film Festival they had going at Cinerama Dome. I saw Reservoir Dogs in 35mm and I saw Pulp Fiction in the Dome. I had never seen either film in theaters, so that was great. I had seen all of his other films in theaters, so it was all about marking those off of my checklist.

I know Apocalypse Now: Final Cut will be screening in limited release ahead of its 4K release but it's not playing anywhere near me, so I will pass. The Matrix in Dolby Cinema would be great, but no big loss if I didn't see it since I saw that film like 5 times in theaters 20 years ago. I'm Matrix-burned out still.
Old 08-07-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Occasionally. I've watched a few Fathom events. As an experience I find those hit and miss.

I must say that the most visceral theatre going experience I had last year was the 2001 re-issue, and I plan on seeing AN later this month.
Old 08-07-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I see classic films in theaters, usually those that came out before I was born (Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001, etc.) and any and all Studio Ghiblis. Other than that, no thanks.
Old 08-07-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I have seen countless older movies at revival theaters in town, in regards to "Special Engagements" I went to see Ghostbusters in theaters for the 30th anniversary. I have never gone to a Fathom events show but I might this fall for Lawrence of Arabia and Alien.
Old 08-07-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

No. I also rarely go to the cinemas for new movies so chances are that I won't be going to see "older" films. The only exception were the Ghiblis that I was tempted to go and watch them.

I did watch the Matrix when it was first released in theatres so I'm good.
Old 08-07-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

really depends on the film. I took my wife to see "Say Anything" with a Q&A with John Cusack this past spring and it was a little scary to see how many middle aged women were totally in love with John (and Lloyd Dobbler) the net effect though was my wife is now over him, so it was totally worth it as she had put him on a pedestal for the last twenty plus year. It was pretty hilarious listening to the people admit a crush to him or better was the people that came up to the mic to say that their significant other had a crush on him. there were a few questions about the movie too.

I saw the OT in theaters in 97 and really hope to catch the BTTF trilogy at the drive in the next time they run it. Overall though from the glow of the small screens people are looking at during movies, to the snoring of the guy seated nearby and side conversations I find I dont overly enjoy movies in theaters as much as I used to so its hard to get me into theaters to begin with.
Old 08-07-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Sure! Recently went to Valley of the Dolls, Hair, Rent, and Auntie Mame.
Old 08-07-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time I have done it is when a silent movie comes to our local and beautifully refurbished 100 year old theater.
It has an equally old organ.
There is a guy in town who knows how to play an organ of this era.
It really is a treat to experience silent movies with the original music in the way it once was so long ago.
Old 08-07-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
The only time I have done it is when a silent movie comes to our local and beautifully refurbished 100 year old theater.
Same. I Saw Phantom of the Opera (1925) at mine. Watching organ-scored silents on TCM can get very irritating. But the organ player for this showing did a fantastic job of making this feel fresh. An operatic singer was also at hand to sing some of Christine's parts. The only drawback was that a public-domain print was used (No Masquerade in color)
I've had chances to see Casablanca and Great Escape there, but they didn't work out.
Old 08-07-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very occasionally. I saw Titanic 3D back in 2012(?) and I saw The Dark Knight in IMAX last summer.
Old 08-07-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Here and there.
Gojira
Nausicaa
Magnificent Seven (first time seeing it actually)

I don't search them out, but sometimes it's a fun, different thing to do.
Old 08-07-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I won't pay Fathom Event prices. $15 to see a Studio Ghibli title I own on blu-ray? No thanks. The art house the next town over is currently running their Summer Classic Series, where tickets are only $6. I'd stopped going about ten years ago after they converted to digital, but my dad retired last year and I've gone to a couple matinees with him in the last month when I had the free time.

We saw "Gone With the Wind" there a few weeks ago. This theater had shown it during it's roadshow engagement back in 1940, so that was a neat bit of history. The only downside is the sound isn't the best. As it's a historic theater, they've tried to preserve/restore the original look. The walls aren't upholstered, so it's pretty loud and echoey in there once the movie starts. Sitting through four hours of that (plus intermission) gave me a blinding migraine.

I just got back from seeing "The Goonies" this afternoon. Lots of parents brought their kids and they were eating it up. Not really my dad's favorite flick, but I had a blast watching it in that environment. It was sort of like seeing it for the first time. I miss the days when family movies could feature swearing and dead bodies and still get a PG rating.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.