Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brian Banks (2019, D: Shadyac) S: Aldis Hodge, Greg Kinnear, Sherri Shepherd

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-05-19, 08:10 AM

In theaters August 9th.

The inspirational true story of Brian Banks (Aldis Hodge), an All-American high school football star committed to USC who finds his life upended when he is wrongly convicted of a crime he didn't commit. Despite lack of evidence, Banks is railroaded through a broken justice system and sentenced to a decade of prison and probation. Years later, with the support of Justin Brooks (Greg Kinnear) and the California Innocence Project, Banks fights to reclaim his life and fulfill his dreams of playing in the NFL.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3920820

A few reviews out, 80% currently on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brian_banks

This is Shadyac's first narrative feature since Evan Almighty.
Old 08-05-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Brian Banks (2019, D: Shadyac) S: Aldis Hodge, Greg Kinnear, Sherri Shepherd

I read Briana Banks at first and got a lot more interested. Then I opened this post...
Old 08-05-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Brian Banks (2019, D: Shadyac) S: Aldis Hodge, Greg Kinnear, Sherri Shepherd

This was a big sports story in the Los Angeles area. Banks was a big high school star at Long Beach Poly before he got screwed and went to prison for that rape he didn't commit. He got a few NFL tryouts after he was released from jail, but never made a team.

If it's playing at one of the AMCs near me, I'll see this. Aldis Hodge is a solid actor. I know this doesn't scream "must see" in the theatre and sounds more like TV movie material, so I'm sure most here won't have much interest.
Old 08-05-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll see it when it comes to disc/VOD for sure. I generally don't see these types of uplifting true stories in the theater. Doesn't really make use of the facilities I'm paying premium to be in. Big fan of Hodge as an actor and person.
Old 08-05-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I read Briana Banks at first and got a lot more interested. Then I opened this post...
Same here...
Old 08-11-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just got back from seeing it. The theatre I was in was almost full.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty good, but fairly predictable & formulaic. It's one of those movies based on an inspiring true story, so they did take some liberties in making this. There were a few moments that seemed contrived & convenient in order to make the storytelling work. But, Aldis Hodge was really good as Banks and I also liked Greg Kinnear as his attorney. I think Aldis Hodge is one breakout role away from being a star. He's a really solid actor. I mean hell he's the lead of a Showtime crime thriller right now with Kevin Bacon.

I don't want to be one of those guys who tears this apart. So for me it was entertaining and I enjoyed seeing the outcome for the real Banks. He really did get screwed by his lawyer during his original trial.

The character-driven moments, especially the scenes with his Mom, Kinnear and Morgan Freeman was the strongest parts. And there's a great and tender scene with his love interest in the movie.

Overall I'd give this a B. I know this is not the kind of movie that screams "must see" in the theatre as it probably feels more TV movie of the week, so I'm sure most of you have no interest in seeing it on the big screen.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-11-19 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m only interested because this is Tom Shadyac’s first movie in a long time.
Old 08-12-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the film was great. But I will admit that I am a sucker for the "based on a true story/feel good at the end" type movies.
Old 08-12-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Same here...
Glad I am not the only perv here...
Old 08-13-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this on the weekend. I thought it was pretty terrible. It was like "Speeches: The Movie" combined with an ad for "Xonr8ed".
Old 08-13-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Glad I am not the only perv here...
Add me to the list.
Old 08-14-19, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Saw this on the weekend. I thought it was pretty terrible. It was like "Speeches: The Movie" combined with an ad for "Xonr8ed".
Were you aware of the story it was telling beforehand?
Old 08-14-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was a bio about Carl Banks, the former New York Giant Linebacker when I first opened it.
Old 08-14-19, 09:51 PM
Cool New Member

Tom Shadyac is one down to earth cool guy. I worked with him on Evan Almighty. I can't say enough positive things about him. It's too bad that this film is not going to have a very longer theatrical shelf life. Hopefully it gets a lot of rental action and on demand viewings.
Old 08-15-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Were you aware of the story it was telling beforehand?
Vaguely. I thought the story would have been better as an hour long documentary instead of a full length reenactment.
Old 08-15-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Vaguely. I thought the story would have been better as an hour long documentary instead of a full length reenactment.
There has been various news stories and features covering this story. 60 minutes did an extended piece about this a few years ago.

I believe the source material for this movie was Banks' book. As I said, I enjoyed the movie and have no qualms with it being made as a scripted drama. I know for some it may have come across as too preachy and overly dramatic.

Edit:

Pete Carroll saw it. Of course he's not going to say anything bad about it since he's portrayed in the movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-15-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought this was pretty by the numbers. Also thought it kind of petered out as it went along. Hodge was terrific though. In fact his performance probably deserved a better movie.