Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deep Fake Technology - Will deceased actors return to screen?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will famouse decease actors return to screen in the future?
Yes
75.00%
No
0%
Maybe
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Deep Fake Technology - Will deceased actors return to screen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Deep Fake Technology - Will deceased actors return to screen?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They did it for The Crow.
That is sort of different since they had to rewrite the script to accommodate the missing scenes that Brandon never filmed. All the flashback scenes were part of a linear storyline.
Old 07-28-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Plus wasn’t The Crow largely finished when he died? I think it was only a few scenes that had to be finished.
Old 07-28-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Plus wasn’t The Crow largely finished when he died? I think it was only a few scenes that had to be finished.
I believe they were key dialogue scenes. He had another week until he was suppose to finish filming.
Old 07-29-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I feel like this has already happened with Carrie Fisher in Rouge One in addition to other people in that movie. It feels like a Hollywood remake of a classic- inevitable to continue.
Old 07-29-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Carrie Fisher was aware of the scene in Rogue One. She passed away eleven days after the film’s release. They didn’t add her in posthumously after the film came out. It’s just that the film and her death were so close together that it’s easy to confuse.
Old 07-29-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Carrie Fisher was aware of the scene in Rogue One. She passed away eleven days after the film’s release. They didn’t add her in posthumously after the film came out. It’s just that the film and her death were so close together that it’s easy to confuse.
I'm aware that this was done when she was alive. But it was a ~20 year old Carrie seen on the screen not her being de-aged. Also Mon Mothma and Peter Cushing / General Tarkin were also both CGI so this is already happening.
Old 07-29-19, 01:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Has anybody mentioned Carrie Fisher in Rogue One?
Old 07-29-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I predict there will be movie stars who never truly existed. Action stars like Tom Cruise who are totally invented, never a real person.

Old 07-29-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I'm aware that this was done when she was alive. But it was a ~20 year old Carrie seen on the screen not her being de-aged. Also Mon Mothma and Peter Cushing / General Tarkin were also both CGI so this is already happening.
I’m not sure if I really understand the point of your posts. De-aging technology is different than what the topic is talking about. Carrie being alive at the time the film came out is a different situation as I’m sure she was aware of it. Some of these dead actors and actresses can’t give consent obviously, which is what’s being discussed. I brought up Cushing earlier. Mon Mothma is played by an entirely different actress (she was also played by the same actress in Revenge of the Sith).
Old 07-29-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder if these mega franchises going forward will add a clause that will allow them to use this tech to add deceased actors into future installments ala Rogue One (they might already do so)
Old 07-29-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I’m not sure if I really understand the point of your posts. De-aging technology is different than what the topic is talking about. Carrie being alive at the time the film came out is a different situation as I’m sure she was aware of it. Some of these dead actors and actresses can’t give consent obviously, which is what’s being discussed. I brought up Cushing earlier. Mon Mothma is played by an entirely different actress (she was also played by the same actress in Revenge of the Sith).
I thought the thread was more about the technology, and the rights were brought up after. I brought up Carrie originally because even though she gave approval, that was pretty much her face on top of another actor's body, so the technology is there, and I assume legally for now at least the rights reside with the estate at least until this become prevalent and new laws have to be made up. Personally, I'd rather they just recast ala Solo instead of try to deage/cgi Harrison Ford or something.
Old 07-29-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought the thread was more about the technology, and the rights were brought up after. I brought up Carrie originally because even though she gave approval, that was pretty much her face on top of another actor's body, so the technology is there, and I assume legally for now at least the rights reside with the estate at least until this become prevalent and new laws have to be made up. Personally, I'd rather they just recast ala Solo instead of try to deage/cgi Harrison Ford or something.
Kind of feels like both things are being discussed I guess. I mostly agree that I’d rather have roles recast if needed, although that didn’t work well with Solo in spite of the fact that I liked Alden’s Han portrayal. Either that or just let some of the classic characters rest and not try and churn out more movies with them. I still stand by what I said earlier though. If it’s a small part like Cushing as Tarkin for a short scene or two just for added effect I’m okay with it. As long as it’s not an entire film being sold on a dead actor or actress it doesn’t bother me.
Old 07-29-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my point is 2 of the three people I mention in the post are "Deep fake actors already inserted into a released movie after they died." Carrie Fisher was inserted into a movie she was not on set for "as a deep fake" so its already happening.

Wait isn't it Mom Mottma's face in Rouge one on another actress's body?
Old 07-29-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
my point is 2 of the three people I mention in the post are "Deep fake actors already inserted into a released movie after they died." Carrie Fisher was inserted into a movie she was not on set for "as a deep fake" so its already happening.

Wait isn't it Mom Mottma's face in Rouge one on another actress's body?
Mon Mothma is a different actress in Rogue One. I forgot she was actually cut from Revenge of the Sith but the same actress was to have played her in both. If you look at them side by side you can tell they look very close but are different people.
Old 07-29-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

It's inevitable and the future of big-screen cinema in Hollywood. Many people would pay good money to see Christopher Reeve play Superman again in a movie. You could then have a real Crisis On Infinite Earths movie with all the actors that have played Superman meeting themselves.
Old 07-30-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You could then have a real Crisis On Infinite Earths movie with all the actors that have played Superman meeting themselves.
Sort of happening with Brandon Routh playing Superman in the Arrowverse in the upcoming season.

Old 07-30-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
... I think that would be stupid to do a whole film with a dead cast. ...
I don't know about that.

I can just see a flick with a bunch of digitally recreated actors... portrayed as zombies.

The Dead Can't Act.
Old 07-30-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is interesting for me about all this, is that I'm aware of at least two SF stories that dealt with the subject we're discussing. Both of them were decades before the technology existed in any form.

One was a long story/novel with a dystopian theme set in a not-too-distant future. At the story climax the protagonists have to resort to a last minute, low-res, digital resurrection of Bob Hope to stave off a political crisis/revolution.

The other was a short story about an actor who, when he was younger, had signed away his rights to his own image so that production companies could continue to make entertainment with it. The story dealt mostly with the consequences and fall out of that decision.

Unfortunately, I do recall the titles/authors of either story. As I recall, the short story appeared in an anthology from the 60s or 70s, and the other was published sometime in the 70s or 80s.
Old 08-01-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's one from a few years back.

<iframe width="985" height="554" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SPyoiOTdHio" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-02-19, 07:06 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
VinVega dex14 Groucho can any of you fine gentlemen be kind enough to remove the last 3 poll options and just leave Yes, No, Maybe.

Thank you!
I removed the poll options. FYI, I don't think the mentions option is the best way to get in touch with us. I never check my public profile and it doesn't look like we get an email when we are mentioned.
Old 08-02-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
I removed the poll options. FYI, I don't think the mentions option is the best way to get in touch with us. I never check my public profile and it doesn't look like we get an email when we are mentioned.
Thanks Vin
Old 08-03-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

They're so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.