Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stallone may return again as Rocky for another sequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stallone may return again as Rocky for another sequel

Old 07-26-19, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stallone may return again as Rocky for another sequel

Can't really understand this Hollywood sequel/prequel/spin-off stuff...maybe I'm too old or just not up to date. But please, not another Rocky, please...

Old 07-26-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

As much as I love the Rocky franchise, it just seems like a retread. We've already had Rocky training two younger fighters (Tommy Gunn and Adonis Creed). I don't watch Rocky movies for immigration issues. This doesn't sound good to me.
Old 07-26-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Maybe he trains him to ultimately take on Creed.
Old 07-26-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Creed II was a good send off. I am good letting it end there for me.
Old 07-26-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Rocky in Space!
Old 07-26-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Rocky was a joke by the time 1990 came around and Rocky 5 was released. He has been able to build it back up after Rocky Balboa and Creed/Creed 2, it would be unfortunate if Rocky went downhill again.
Old 07-26-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend close to the production of "Creed II" told me much of Stallone's screenplay was jettisoned by Michael B. Jordan's team, beefing up the relationship with his deaf gf. Nearly all of the scenes involving Rocky and his estranged son were cut. I heard Stallone was not happy, so he probably views "Creed II" as less of a Rocky film than he'd hoped for, which is probably why he wants to do another, so it can end on his writing.
Old 09-10-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
A friend close to the production of "Creed II" told me much of Stallone's screenplay was jettisoned by Michael B. Jordan's team, beefing up the relationship with his deaf gf. Nearly all of the scenes involving Rocky and his estranged son were cut. I heard Stallone was not happy, so he probably views "Creed II" as less of a Rocky film than he'd hoped for, which is probably why he wants to do another, so it can end on his writing.
Well shit.... I guess bring on the sequel. If true, that's unfortunate a lot of that was cut.

Old 09-10-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

He was a writer, producer and actor in it. Hell, he is the creator of the whole damn thing. How could MBJ's "team" have that much sway?
Old 09-10-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

We're crossing streams here:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...umors-etc.html

Michael B. Jordan Got an Offer to Direct 'Creed III' If and When It Happens

A third instalment in the Creed franchise hasn't been officially announced yet, but if the movie goes ahead, producers already have their first choice of director lined up: Michael B. Jordan, who starred in the first two films as Adonis Creed. Irwin Winkler, the producer of the Creed movies as well as the original Rocky series of which they are a spinoff, revealed in his book, published this year, that he has assured Jordan he will have a shot at the director's chair.

"I promised Michael B. Jordan that he’d get his chance to direct Creed III," Winkler wrote in A Life in Movies: Stories From 50 Years in Hollywood, adding: "Last year in a conversation with our Creed star Michael B. Jordan, I offered him the opportunity to not only star in, but also to direct Creed III."

Winkler made a similar offer to Sylvester Stallone, who created the character of Rocky Balboa, following the success of 1976's Rocky, and Stallone stepped behind the camera to direct Rocky II in 1979. However, despite having leveraged that role into a wildly successful career, Stallone has since expressed his frustration with how he was never given annuity in the franchise. "I have zero ownership of Rocky," he said earlier this year. "Every word, every syllable, every grammatical error was all my fault. It was shocking that it never came to be, but I was told, ‘Hey, you got paid, so what are you complaining about?’ I was furious."

That said, Stallone returned to the world he created with the Creed movies, playing an older mentor figure to Jordan's Adonis, son of his old friend Apollo Creed. Creed II expanded on that mythology by bringing in Florian Munteaunu as Viktor Drago, son of villain Ivan Drago. And should Creed III get made, Stallone is keen to introduce more members of the next generation: he and Jordan have said that real-life heavyweight boxer Deontay Wilder would be perfect to cast as the son of Rocky III character Clubber Lang.
Stallone has no equity in the Rocky franchise.
Old 09-10-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

There's this from Variety, as well:

On July 23, 2019 in an interview with Variety, Sylvester Stallone said that a Rocky sequel and prequel are in development. Winkler said “We’re very high on it" and that negotiations are underway for Stallone to write and star in the feature. “We’re very anxious to make it.” Stallone also said there are "ongoing discussions" about a Rocky prequel television series, which he hopes will land on a streaming service and the series will likely follow a young Rocky Balboa as a professional boxing hopeful. Stallone said Winkler is hesitant on making the series saying that "There was some conflict there, yes. He felt in his mind that “Rocky” was primarily a feature film, and he didn't see it as being translated for cable, so there was a big bone of contention."
Old 09-10-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

We're getting closer to this future...

Old 09-11-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
It's interesting that Jordan has more pull than Stallone.

As for the prequel series - how does that work? Rocky was never a "young boxing hopeful" - he was a bum who fought like an "ape" (Mickey's words in the first film) for rent money.
Old 09-11-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Well, I guess we can have both Creed III and a new Rocky sequel. Stallone apparently has not accepted that the series isn't really about him anymore. The movie was Creed II and that's why Rocky's story was underplayed. I don't care for a prequel series since it wouldn't be Stallone playing the role and we already saw young Rocky in the first film. I also don't care for Clubber Lang's son as an idea. I wouldn't mind seeing Clubber Lang himself making an appearance, but Creed II already used the next generation plotline. Plus, I don't see Clubber being patient enough to train someone. Creed should have a fresh new opponent without ties to Rocky's past. The Drago thing worked because of the connection to Apollo, but Lang had very little to do with him.
Old 09-11-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Good God, we do not need a Rocky prequel TV series.

Interesting on Jordan being offered the chance to direct. Focusing primarily on Adonis was absolutely the right route to go. Surprised Stallone didn't see it that way since he seemed to understand that with the first one, or at least did so in public.
Old 09-12-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As for the prequel series - how does that work? Rocky was never a "young boxing hopeful" - he was a bum who fought like an "ape" (Mickey's words in the first film) for rent money.
It slowly builds up to the big series finale where he fights Spider Rico.
Old 09-13-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything we need to know about young Rocky is in Rocky. We don't need to see him running around making collections as a too-soft "legbreaker" because that's already in Rocky. We don't need to see him as a struggling bum of a young fighter because that's already in Rocky. And so on.
Old 12-16-19, 11:34 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Stallone posted this today:

I can't imagine the covertly are shooting that immigration story sequel.

It seems like the time of year to start filming those Super Bowl spots...
Old 12-16-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully it's not a stupid Super Bowl commercial like the one Jeff Bridges did last year.

My best guess? The long-rumored prequel TV series is being made.
Old 12-16-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

My best guess? The long-rumored prequel TV series is being made.
The loan shark years when Rocky was a collector?
Old 12-17-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A Philadelphia news website confirmed it was a Super Bowl commercial, but nobody knows for what yet (or they've been asked not to tell). Hopefully it's for a non-profit or something...the idea of Stallone using that character to sell something rubs me the wrong way (although we know Rocky himself did commercials).

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/artic...at-rocky-steps
Old 12-17-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

It will be for Old Spice...
Old 12-17-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Philadelphia news website confirmed it was a Super Bowl commercial, but nobody knows for what yet (or they've been asked not to tell). Hopefully it's for a non-profit or something...the idea of Stallone using that character to sell something rubs me the wrong way (although we know Rocky himself did commercials).

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/artic...at-rocky-steps
He did a Lipton Brisk Iced Tea commercial in Claymation back in the 90s. Pretty sure he intentionally referenced it in Rocky Balboa by saying something was "brisk." Or could've been a coincidence.
Old 12-17-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lipton ad:
Old 12-17-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I’m still holding out hope it’s a guest appearance on It’s Always Sunny...

”The gang sucker punches Rocky”

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.