Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I'm having a hard time judging from the trailer whether this is a stroke of genius or a total bomb of a movie. Regardless, I'm looking forward to see it.
That was my reaction as well. I laughed a couple of times (watching the trailer), then felt guilty for laughing. I'll say this for Waititi - he's not afraid to take risks.
Old 10-19-19, 03:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Watched it tonight, and enjoyed it a lot. It’s been one of the movies I’ve looked forward to this year for the very weird premise. Had a good mix of comedy, some tension, some feels. Oddly enough, I’d say it has some ”Lost in Translation” vibes to it.

Liked the acting from the two leads, not to mention from the nice array of a supporting cast. Yorki is my favorite and they managed to not overuse him. Actually, the entire supporting cast was used just enough to make an impression, not take away from the main characters & not overstay their welcome (Alfie Allen only had a few lines, but liked what he brought. Steven Merchant as a Gestapo officer). As usual though, the trailer probably gave away a lot of the funnier scenes.

As for the mixed reviews saying the movie didn’t go far enough: if they did that, it’d basically be a totally different movie. It’s first and foremost a coming of age story.

This was in NY, and the screening has a post movie Q&A with Taika Waititi, Roman Griffin Davis, Thomason McKenzie and Producer Carthew Neal. It was mainly Taika who spoke and asked questions: answers where similar to his talk show appearances, although he did bring energy to the theater.
Old 10-24-19, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Saw this tonight and quite dig it, although it’s very different than Waititi’s other movies - I got a very Wes Anderson tone from it. It navigates a tricky subject pretty well without being as direly tacky as something like Life Is Beautiful. Scarlett Johansson was terrific and nice to see her as something other than Black Widow for once. I do feel the trailer erred on the side of giving too much away but it’s a quirky fun and sad gem.
Old 10-26-19, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Campea loved it:

Old 10-26-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last night HBO ran a 15 minute "preview" of this movie.
IMO, this will be one of those movies that will have no middle ground: either loved or hated.
Old 10-26-19, 11:26 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Great observation...
Old 10-28-19, 11:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It Finally opens this Thursday night in my neck of the woods. Can't wait!
Old 11-01-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Really enjoyed it. While watching it, I was glad it didn't go far enough to get an R rating. There was a sweetness and poignancy to it. Great acting all around. Great set design. Will pick this up when released on video.
Old 11-01-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Scribbled a few words about it if anybody's interested:
Jojo Rabbit: So, are we allowed to laugh at the Nazis?
Old 11-08-19, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Just came out of a 7:40PM show with the family. The place was packed, everyone was laughing, anxious, relieved, sad, and talking about it at the end. All positive from what I witnessed.
Old 11-12-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw this on sunday and loved it.
Old 12-30-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Saw this over Xmas and I'm middle ground on this I didn't love the first hour but was won over by the time it ended. The stuff with Sam Rockwell seemed a little awkwardly executed but yeah, overall it hit me in the feels.

Old 12-30-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Thought this was brilliant. Finally caught up with it on Sunday.
Old 12-30-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Thought this was brilliant. Finally caught up with it on Sunday.
Couldn't agree more. After a slow start in 2019, and a mostly terrible Summer, films suddenly got better this Fall. I love my top 4 movies of the year equally. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", "Knives Out", "Parasite" and "Jojo Rabbit".
Old 12-31-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Couldn't agree more. After a slow start in 2019, and a mostly terrible Summer, films suddenly got better this Fall. I love my top 4 movies of the year equally. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", "Knives Out", "Parasite" and "Jojo Rabbit".
I am actually working on a “For Your Consideration” review that will post when “JoJo Rabbit” comes out on video. I plan to watch “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood” and “Knives Out” in the next few days.
Old 12-31-19, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first half hour, I found it wildly enjoyable, but inconsequential. By the time it had ended, it was easily in my top 3 of the year (with Parasite and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). No matter the subject matter, Waititi manages to nail "tone" throughout a movie as well as anyone I can think of.
Old 01-26-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This finally made it to my neck of the woods this weekend so I went and saw it today. Overall, I think it was a very good movie and I feel the fact that I have been thinking about different aspects of it ever since I got out means Waititi made something pretty meaningful. I will agree that the trailers are making a mistake by trying to get one to think it's a slapstick comedy with Nazis. While it has slapstick elements, it's definitely a dramedy with a powerful message. My only real gripe was
Spoiler:
while it was kind of foreshadowed that the mom (played brilliantly by ScarJo) was going to die, they didn't seem to do anything to indicate that she had been caught until he finds her body hanging. I would have thought he would have known or been suspicious when she didn't come home. I didn't get a clear indication of the time frame, so while it wasn't a surprise, it didn't make sense for it to be so matter of fact. Maybe that's part of the point?
Old 02-13-20, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Saw it today and loved it. I am not sure why Scarlett Johansson got an Oscar nod though.

Somebody said this was different than his other works, but I thought it was right in line. I could see shades of Hunt for the Wilderpeople during the war scenes and even What We Do In the Shadows (in his Hitler portrayal).

Did anybody else feel the Rebel Wilson part should have been played by Rachel House?

To Dr. DVD’s spoiler ...

Spoiler:
The film was all from Jo Jo’s perspective. There would not have been any reason for him to have known. Earlier in the film it was demonstrated that she would often be gone long and odd hours. This was in the middle of the day.

I had it pegged though ... during the scene when she is dancing on the wall, I knew that was going to happen. The way that scene was framed was excellent foreshadowing: it stayed on Jo Jo’s face and only showed her shoes at his eye level. That was shortly after they saw the previous group of hanged individuals.
Old 02-13-20, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I thought ScarJo was great in it. A supportive and nurturing mother role, really anchors the story. Very different from any part I have seen her in before. Amazing that she had never been Oscar nominated before. Seems impossible she didn’t get a nod for Lost in Translation. She was so great in that (and in Match Point).

Regarding your spoiler comment : You are right. I had totally missed the significance of the shot, besides just reminding you of her favorite shoes.
Old 02-13-20, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Between this movie and Marriage Story, she had a great year. And Colin Jost is the luckiest man.
Old 02-13-20, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Did anybody else feel the Rebel Wilson part should have been played by Rachel House?
It did save Rebel Wilson's 2019 movie output from being just one big pile of shit (Isn't It Romantic, The Hustle, Cats).
Old 02-13-20, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I thought ScarJo was great in it. A supportive and nurturing mother role, really anchors the story. Very different from any part I have seen her in before. Amazing that she had never been Oscar nominated before. Seems impossible she didn’t get a nod for Lost in Translation. She was so great in that (and in Match Point).

Regarding your spoiler comment : You are right. I had totally missed the significance of the shot, besides just reminding you of her favorite shoes.
She was fantastic in the role ... just not Oscar nomination good, IMO.
Old 02-13-20, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It did save Rebel Wilson's 2019 movie output from being just one big pile of shit (Isn't It Romantic, The Hustle, Cats).
Just 2019?
Old 02-13-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

..I actually liked Isn't It Romantic. I can't say the same for the other two.

The title for this makes me hope for a Waititi adaptation of Chu Chu Rocket for sone reason
Old 03-03-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I rented this at Redbox last night and watched it today. I admit, this movie was never on my radar. Quirky comedy-drama about a young boy in Nazi Germany with his imaginary and goofy friend who turns out to be Hitler. The concept seemed a little goofy to me.

This type of genre has never really appealed to me. But, then with all the positive feedback and word of mouth, I became interested, but I waited too long and it was out of theatres.

It's a really solid movie. Very poignant, funny at times and heartbreaking. Scarlett was terrific as the Mom and I thought the boy who played JoJo was also terrific. I didn't realize the underlying story was about JoJo's Mom protecting a young Jewish from the Nazis. And then the friendship that developed between her and JoJo.

and oh man the shoe scene was heartbreaking. Glad I finally saw it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.