Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Duel (2021, D: Ridley Scott) S: Damon, Affleck, Driver, Comer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Last Duel (2021, D: Ridley Scott) S: Damon, Affleck, Driver, Comer

Old 07-20-21, 05:31 PM

Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts
Re: The Last Duel (2021, D: Ridley Scott) S: Damon, Affleck, Driver, Comer

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Also, it's documented history, so you can look up the story on wikipedia if you want to find out the outcome.
He fixes the cable?
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (07-20-21)
Old 07-20-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 879 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
This could end up being Kingdom of Heaven lite.
Iím half expecting a severely cut, extremely mediocre theatrical film followed by by a far superior Directorís Cut for Blu-ray/4K release.
Why So Blu? (07-20-21)
Old 07-20-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks great. Yes Matt & Ben feel like they need some costuming help to fit in.. Driver otoh could roll out of bed and be right at home. This is still going to be a drama, it was a little obvious they were using as much action from the duel as they could for the trailer.
Old 08-09-21, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts

I like Ben Affleck a lot, but I think heís gonna stick out like a sore thumb in this. Damon too. Ben and Matt are like the Redford and Newman of their generation as far as appearing in films together, so I hope im wrong because Iíve been really excited to see them share the screen again.
Old 09-10-21, 11:10 PM

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Reviews from Venice:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_last_duel_2021
Old 09-11-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeah, I saw those early reviews last night. I'm seeing this no matter what. And in the theater with a big screen. Hopefully it will be in the IMAX auditorium at my local AMC.
Old 09-12-21, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

About par for Ridley Scott genre movies. Great visuals, but average story and characters.
Old 09-12-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 441 Likes on 359 Posts

Also, it's co-written by Affleck and Damon.
Old 09-12-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on some of those reviews, Iím expecting a longer, better, directorís cut down the road.
Old 09-12-21, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Also, it's co-written by Affleck and Damon.
It sounds like the third writer, Nicole Holofcener was brought it to write the female perspective. Considering this is being described as a ďmedieval #MeTooĒ thatís probably the smart decision.
Old 09-13-21, 10:39 PM

Old 10-11-21, 02:25 PM

Opens this week. More reviews dropped today and currently at 81% on RT.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
It sounds like the third writer, Nicole Holofcener was brought it to write the female perspective. Considering this is being described as a “medieval #MeToo” that’s probably the smart decision.
It sounds like the movie takes place in three parts... "From the perspective of... " for three characters and Holofcener wrote the third act.
GoldenJCJ (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,176 Likes on 876 Posts

I saw an interview on GMA with Amy Robach interviewing Damon, Affleck and Nicole Holofcener. Basically Damon and Affleck wrote the movie from the male perspective and Holofcener wrote it from the female perspective. It was a good interview.

I do want to see this, but I work Friday and Saturday and I really have to be in the mood to see a 2 1/2 hour period drama. Not sure I will feel like it after work. So I might see it Sunday.
GoldenJCJ (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
About par for Ridley Scott genre movies. Great visuals, but average story and characters.
Consensus seems to have shifted unward a bit.
Old 10-13-21, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,318 Posts

It looks from the trailers like Ben Affleck is barely in this. Not sure if that's the case but his part looks pretty small. Haven't wanted to read reviews yet, do they say one way or the other?
Old 10-14-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts

BombInPhantoms.net hasn't updated their screen time count yet.
Old 10-14-21, 08:21 PM

Old 10-14-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It looks from the trailers like Ben Affleck is barely in this. Not sure if that's the case but his part looks pretty small. Haven't wanted to read reviews yet, do they say one way or the other?
Saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it. All the leads were great. And Affleck was in it quite a bit.
Decker (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 414 Likes on 326 Posts

So he was the BOMB in Phantoms and now this?!
Old 10-16-21, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

This was an interesting if flawed movie with a great performance by Jodie Comer and very solid work from Damon, Driver and, yes, Affleck too. No surprise that Ridley Scott delivers some well-staged and brutal battle sequences that enhance the medieval setting and establish a rugged, male dominated society where men were men and girls were girls.

The movie adopts a "Rashomon" type narrative in which an incident involving an accusation of rape is viewed and re-viewed from the viewpoint of the three lead characters: the husband whose wife claims to have been raped, the man who is accused of rape, and the wife who seeks justice for the rape.

Spoiler:

In Rashomon, the conflicting viewpoints illustrated just how elusive the truth can be, but here it's pretty evident that the wife was raped and that we should clearly be rooting for her to get justice. In the sequences told from Driver's and Comer's viewpoints, the rape scene is replayed both times, and in both cases Driver violently forces himself upon Comer's character despite her protests. In Comer's version of the incident, she does put up more of a struggle and is left sobbing and distraught, whereas in Driver's version, she is seemingly left silent with the resignation that she has no choice in the matter. In neither scenario can anyone justifiably believe that Driver's character is not guilty of rape. Now, certainly Driver may have deluded himself into thinking that Comer had the hots for him and that her protests were just a show that she put on to mask her real feelings. But the movie doesn't provide us any evidence that Comer's participation might have been consensual, and so the it basically boils down to a final battle between Driver's rapist character and Damon's husband character with the life of Comer's character at stake, since she will be executed if Damon loses the battle, as it will be regarded as concrete proof to the backward society of the time that Comer was lying about her assault.

While this does provide for a tense and rousing finale, it also makes the whole Rashomon technique seem a bit pointless since the movie is overwhelmingly in favor of Comer's version of the rape incident and we are clearly meant to root for Damon's character as he battles Driver for her honor. Now, there are some intriguing differences in each character's version of the events leading up to and following the rape. In Damon's version of the story, he views himself as a very understanding husband who quickly consoles his distraught wife and vows to seek justice for her assault. But in Comer's version of the story, Damon's character is far more insensitive to her plight, and although he agrees to seek justice for her, he also coerces her into having sex with him right after she reveals her rape, in order to wipe away the stain of her it from his mind. Comer's version of the story also shows her to be far more responsible for her husband's success away from the battlefield.

Ultimately, though, the three competing versions of the same incident are bogged down in too much redundancy which merely adds to the film's overlong running time, and the different viewpoints don't make us question the validity of the truth so much as they simply reinforce the belief that Driver's character is an arrogant rapist and Comer's character is the innocent victim. There are obvious parallels between the movie's medieval storyline and the current "Me Too" climate that show how women are consistently victimized by a male dominated society and forced to remain silent rather than rock the boat, but the film doesn't really bring any fresh insights into the discussion other than the obligatory "we are still as backwards a society now in regards to how we treat women as we were long ago." It's still a worthwhile viewing experience due to the compelling performances and Ridley Scott's visual expertise, but while the gimmicky Rashomon style narrative does provide a unique spin to the storyline, it lacks sufficient payoff and makes the movie's bloated 2 hour and 33 minute running time feel very unnecessary.

Old 10-17-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

^ Pretty much how I feel. I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. I felt Damon's character part was a bit of a drag , and it seemed like the whole movie was shot with poor lighting and grey skies everywhere. I wasn't around in medieval Europe (wouldn't want to), so maybe that's the way it was in those times. I will agree that Comer's performance is the highlight of the movie, and I hope she is remembered in awards season. I have to say that while this does have all of Ridley Scott's trademark visuals and such, it's probably the least commercial movie he's made in a while that takes place as a period piece. I actually think this may have been better off if they had just sent this straight to streaming, as right now people probably aren't in the mood for something of this nature. I took the little epilogue as meaning
Spoiler:
the child was indeed Damon's given his blonde hair
. Everything else is actual history, so don't consider discussing who won or lost true spoiler territory...but I'll hold off for now.
Old 10-17-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I liked it. Thought Jodi Comer was fantastic and worthy of an Oscar nom. Didn't really need to see the rape twice and didn't think the second version added much, clearly a rape either way. But overall I enoyed the film. The duel was a little too similar to Sir Ridley's Gladiator finale, but I guess it's not stealing if it's from yourself.
Seems far fetched that Marguerite wouldn't have known her life was endangered until that moment in the royal court. What resolution was she actually looking for, given their circumstances? And can someone explain what Adam Driver's other option was that he was discussing with the priest? Was that a way to get out of the duel? I didn't quite follow that.
Old 10-17-21, 05:49 PM

I thought this was pretty great overall. The duel at the end rocked. Ridley doing his best.

Great performances by all. Comer is great as always and continues to be one of the best up and coming. Affleck stood out of place to me. He kinda felt like the caricature of Ben Affleck from Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back playing the role.
Old 10-18-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 227 Likes on 163 Posts

I liked this, but I'm not sure what the multiple perspectives really added when it came to the film's central theme. Driver's character, in particular, didn't really change much. Decker mentioned the rape scene being shown twice, and while the second version was definitely more brutal, it wasn't THAT different than Driver's version. There was no doubt that his version was still an awful rape. That sort of defeats the whole purpose of the Rashomon gimmick. So does emphasizing "truth" in such a blatant way when introducing Marguerite's story.