Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 08-11-19, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Is there ANY form of filmed entertainment less compelling than a TV Western?
With this one line, you're forever dead to me.
Old 08-11-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I’m going to a 35mm showing at noon on its last day. I haven’t read anything in this thread I hope it’s good.
Old 08-11-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
With this one line, you're forever dead to me.
There's a ton of movie Westerns I like. Just recently Winchester '73.

But I've always found TV Westerns to be flat, dry, and hokey.
Old 08-11-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

Well I just got home and I can say I enjoyed it. Being a 35mm print it was a nice touch with it being a period movie. I can't say I know much of the old western tv shows and movies that were the basis of the movie. I kind of figured it would end with the Manson Family Murders, but it was an entertaining ending with Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth fighting off the invaders. I hope Quentin isn't done at 10 movies. I've read stories he's doing his Star Trek movie or maybe even a horror movie. 3.5 out of 5 stars for me.
Old 08-11-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Saw it for a second time today with a friend. Liked it even more this time I think. As great as DiCaprio is in it I really feel like Pitt stole the show for me. One of my favorite performances by him I think.
Old 08-12-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I don't know where Danielle Harris(!) is either.
She's one of the members of the Manson Family at Spahn Ranch.

I was able to recognize it was her (oddly enough) by the sound of her voice, even though she's under quite a bit of make-up & dirt.

Found this picture below of the scene with Tex:

Spoiler:

Old 08-12-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^oh wow!!! Never would have thought! Thanks!
Old 08-12-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

She looks quite a bit different even in comparison to other more recent films I’ve seen her in. I wouldn’t have realized it was her.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-12-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

yeah, still voluptuous, but looks little heavier...
Old 08-12-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

"Charlie's making us get up at the BUTT-CRACK of dawn to go dumpster diving..."
Old 08-12-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Quentin Tarantino Defends ‘Arrogant’ Portrayal of Bruce Lee in ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’

“Could Cliff beat up Bruce Lee? Brad [Pitt] would not be able to beat up Bruce Lee, but Cliff maybe could,” said Tarantino. “If you ask me the question, ‘Who would win in a fight: Bruce Lee or Dracula?’ It’s the same question. It’s a fictional character. If I say Cliff can beat Bruce Lee up, he’s a fictional character so he could beat Bruce Lee up. The reality of the situation is this: Cliff is a Green Beret. He has killed many men in WWII in hand-to-hand combat. What Bruce Lee is talking about in the whole thing is that he admires warriors. He admires combat, and boxing is a closer approximation of combat as a sport. Cliff is not part of the sport that is like combat, he is a warrior. He is a combat person.”Tarantino concluded, “If Cliff were fighting Bruce Lee in a martial arts tournament in Madison Square Garden, Bruce would kill him. But if Cliff and Bruce were fighting in the jungles of the Philippines in a hand-to-hand combat fight, Cliff would kill him.”
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/q...99921/#respond
Old 08-12-19, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yeah, still voluptuous, but looks little heavier...
Probably because she was actually pregnant during filming
Old 08-12-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Quentin Tarantino Defends ‘Arrogant’ Portrayal of Bruce Lee in ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/q...99921/#respond
It's sad that something so obvious has to be spelled out for some people.
Old 08-13-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
It's sad that something so obvious has to be spelled out for some people.
Agreed...what a bunch of hoseheads.
I don't know why people these days insist fictional Hollywood movies MUST adhere to the reality they themselves "believe."
Is "FICTION" no longer a word or concept in the English language?
Fncking morons...
Old 08-15-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Finally saw this and liked it quite a lot, but I have to knock a star off for the derivative “alternate timeline” ending which is too much like Inglourius Basterds to me. There I was genuinely shocked and kind of amazed at his chutzpah for the Hitler turn. Here while it was cathartic and less of a downer than the movie builds up to I just didn’t find it surprising, and a little bit lazy rather than grappling with the tragedy of what the Manson murders really meant. I’m sure I’ll see it more times and my views on it will evolve but it left me a little bit deflated after an otherwise excellent ride (and the best work DiCaprio’s ever done).
Old 08-16-19, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
There's a ton of movie Westerns I like. Just recently Winchester '73.

But I've always found TV Westerns to be flat, dry, and hokey.
To certain extent they were back in the 50s and the 60s. An entire season of a Western such as "Wanted: Dead or Alive" was thirty-six episodes. That's a lot of regurgitation and padding that's going to take place during that season to fill all those episodes. Other Westerns were being televised on other networks so original story lines were not all that common. Weekly TV shows also have budget constraints that have to be met so not a lot of time can be spent putting out an "artistic" and "thought provoking" show each week. Plus, there were censorship issues that had to be dealt with so shows had to fall within certain family guidelines. Movies were already pushing back against censorship restrictions at this time so their product could be less "flat, dry, and hokey."

(TV censorship eased somewhat during the 70s. Later, pay cable services with their own self-made shows started putting out TV shows which could rival the craftsmanship put into theatrical movies.)

I found Once Upon A Time In Hollywood an intriguing film in many aspects. It's a wonderful reflection of 1969 Southern California as well showing the production side of the television industry. It shows how important a weekly TV show could be to a "star" such as Rick Dalton because there weren't all that many acting opportunities available to fading stars which are now available today through the cable and streaming media.
Old 08-16-19, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by story
I'm finally going to chime in here and say I liked it but didn't love it. Performances were great, cinematography was amazing, and a few set pieces were good. I went opening weekend with a good crowd.

Ultimately, the parts were better than the whole for me. I think I have always had an aversion to films where there's no discernable storyline or trajectory. The "day in the life" model can feel aimless and I get antsy wondering if something is going to happen. Those scenes where Brad Pitt is driving and driving and driving, even with cuts to new shots along the same drive? I get the nostalgia but wow, I'm just not excited to drive the strip with Pitt. It's just. So. Long.
I'm a big fan of character-driven films (and also love Neo-realistic films) so I was quite happy with OUATIH. I did think that this film had a very clear trajectory for the two main characters, but, then again, they are related to character development and their arcs and not plot.

I wonder if you like films such as Nashville which is heavily character-based with very little story line.

Old 08-16-19, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
To certain extent they were back in the 50s and the 60s. An entire season of a Western such as "Wanted: Dead or Alive" was thirty-six episodes. That's a lot of regurgitation and padding that's going to take place during that season to fill all those episodes. Other Westerns were being televised on other networks so original story lines were not all that common. Weekly TV shows also have budget constraints that have to be met so not a lot of time can be spent putting out an "artistic" and "thought provoking" show each week. Plus, there were censorship issues that had to be dealt with so shows had to fall within certain family guidelines. Movies were already pushing back against censorship restrictions at this time so their product could be less "flat, dry, and hokey."

(TV censorship eased somewhat during the 70s. Later, pay cable services with their own self-made shows started putting out TV shows which could rival the craftsmanship put into theatrical movies.)
I watch a lot of black-and-white TV westerns from the late 1950s and early 1960s and I don't find them "flat, dry, or hokey" (to use Dr. Mantle's terms). More often than not they had good scripts, often by established western and pulp writers (e.g. Frank Gruber), and strong casts. I'm astounded at the level of guest stars I see in these shows, many destined for future stardom, e.g. James Coburn, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Robert Redford, Burt Reynolds, Angie Dickinson, Lee Van Cleef, Martin Landau, etc. And they got stars who often had some kind of background that lent their portrayals some authenticity, most notably former lawman Clint Walker in "Cheyenne" and champion rider Dale Robertson in "Tales of Wells Fargo." Yes, TV westerns got a little bloated when they all went to hour-long or longer ("The Virginian" was 90 min.) and focused too much on drama and dialogue rather than action, but there was a nice blend of action, plot, drama, and acting in the aforementioned series, plus my other favorites: "Wanted Dead or Alive," "Lawman," "Laramie," "Maverick, "Death Valley Days," "Gunsmoke" (when it was a half-hour), and "Have Gun Will Travel," among others.

James Coburn and Charles Bronson (future co-stars of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, THE GREAT ESCAPE and HARD TIMES) first teamed up on an episode of "Tales of Wells Fargo":

Dale Robertson and Steve McQueen in another episode of "Wells Fargo":

Old 08-16-19, 02:05 PM

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
I'm a big fan of character-driven films (and also love Neo-realistic films) so I was quite happy with OUATIH. I did think that this film had a very clear trajectory for the two main characters, but, then again, they are related to character development and their arcs and not plot.

I wonder if you like films such as Nashville which is heavily character-based with very little story line.
I haven't seen Nashville, so I don't know. Another example is My Neighbor Totoro. I really like that movie, but the abrupt ending is so weird it makes me wonder what we were watching, even though my kids and I enjoy it.
Old 08-16-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kareem speaks

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r_breakingnews
Old 08-16-19, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by musick
The movie is a work of fiction, Kareem. It is not a documentary about Bruce Lee.

The scene in question is the aging stunt man's recollection of the events that occurred when he met/fought Bruce Lee. Maybe the stunt man had already taken too many hits to the head in his career and his memory is faulty and his recollection is totally untrue.

Maybe Tarantino will make a documentary in which Bruce Lee is portrayed in a totally non-fictional way. Perhaps, that will appease all the critics of this ONE scene...in a FICTIONAL movie.
Old 08-16-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I read some early spoilers for the film where Booth, Dalton, and Bruce Lee teamed up to take out Manson and his family.

Sort of wish QT had gone with that. Would have given Lee some redemption, and maybe there wouldn't be this controversy over his portrayal.
Old 08-17-19, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sort of wish QT had gone with that. Would have given Lee some redemption, and maybe there wouldn't be this controversy over his portrayal.
I think Lee gets redemption in the flashback scenes we see of him teaching Sharon Tate some fighting moves which she then does on screen and also simultaneously silently in her seat in the theater in probably the the sweetest scene in the movie.
Old 08-17-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

The biggest surprise for me was that Tarantino finally ditched his goofy "The _th Film by Quentin Tarantino" opening credit.

Such an enjoyable experience watching this movie last night. When it was over, I felt like I'd been nourished.

The friendship and (often times one-way) loyalty between Cliff and Dalton is what made the movie really special for me.

Strange coincidence. When it was over, my friend mentioned how much Cliff reminded her of this old cartoon character from her childhood, Lucky Luke. I'd recently watched this cartoon and realized she was right. Thinking back on the movie, Cliff's mannerisms, and the way he gently goes along with Dalton when he's having his maniac episodes, match Lucky Luke perfectly. No, I don't believe any of that was intentional, but the synchronicity of it was wild.

Interesting that Tarantino had Kurt Russell do the narration. I wonder if either himself or his voice is buried in the movie somewhere, or did he forgo a cameo for himself this time?
Old 08-19-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen

Interesting that Tarantino had Kurt Russell do the narration. I wonder if either himself or his voice is buried in the movie somewhere, or did he forgo a cameo for himself this time?
Here you go. I didn't even know there WAS a post-credit scene (I've avoided this thread until I saw the movie)...so I'll have to catch it on home video.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-credits-scene

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.