Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-28-19, 10:42 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I've heard that this movie is being criticized for not being made with the 2019 level of "woke" that is supposed to happen nowadays. Whatever..
Don’t cry in front of the Mexicans, man.

Tarantino would say, “I reject your theory!”
Old 07-28-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

^ That was a great line. Me and my Mexican buddy laughed out loud on that one. And the 8 whiskey sours line. Shit had me rolling!
Old 07-28-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm probably going to go against the grain here and say that I was pretty disappointed when the credits started rolling. In fact, I leaned over to my wife and said "this better not be the end" 5 seconds before end credits. I know that the letdown is due in part to the awesomeness of other T. movie endings. I don't know, I was just expecting way more to happen. As far as what came before, it seemed like a whole lotta time killing before the last 20 minutes. I didn't think the dialogue was really all that great (certainly in comparison to his other movies). The tension buildup with Cliff at the ranch was a red-herring with no real payoff. The day in the life of S. Tate was wandering and ultimately unrewarding to me. And sooo little Manson. I think his screen time was less than 60 seconds. It was not nearly Manson-y/Helter-Skelter-ish enough for my tastes. It's now obvious why Tate's sister green-lighted this.

If Star Trek is T.'s final movie then I am even more let down, as I am not a fan of that genre.

With everything above being said, I thought that Brad and Leo did great with what they had to work with. The 2.5 hours just flew by. I know that I will give it a few more viewings at home to catch many of the things I didn't notice on my first viewing and as someone else said enjoy the journey more. As someone who moved to So. Cal in 1968 from back east, I can vouch that the attention to period detail was great and looked amazing. So, where was Rumor Willis? I got her and Lena Dunham mixed up.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 07-28-19 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
So, where was Rumor Willis? I got her and Lena Dunham mixed up.
If I remember correctly, I believe Willis played the brief role as Sharon's friend that came to visit her on the final day. Dunham played one of the cult members at the Spahn Ranch.
Old 07-28-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that the film is released - IMDB needs to update their cast listing. Tons of cast/character names are blank.
Old 07-28-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
If I remember correctly, I believe Willis played the brief role as Sharon's friend that came to visit her on the final day. Dunham played one of the cult members at the Spahn Ranch.
Thanks, yes I recognized Dunham (who I initially took as Willis) at the ranch. It looked like they airbrushed away her tattoo.
Old 07-28-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maya Hawke was girl that sold Cliff the acid dipped cigarette.
Old 07-28-19, 12:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^ and the 4th hippie at the end.
Old 07-28-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Almost as arrogant as Bruce Lee. Calm down. The guy wasn’t perfect.
Shannon is whitewashing her father and portraying him as some sort of guru. If he had lived we wouldn't know none of that shit she is spouting today. It was all private stuff which I believe was more for personal growth than anything else. Even Kareem thought he was crazy. In his autobiography he said he made fun of Bruce because he mispronounced some word in English. He really thought Bruce was going to kill him for making fun of his accent. Even Steve McQueen was scared of him. Steve took Bruce out for a ride in his Porsche and tried to scare Bruce into not buying one. Bruce was scared shitless with Steve's driving and kept saying he was going to kill him if he doesn't stop. Steve believed him. Bruce was a fucking psycho.
Old 07-28-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
^ and the 4th hippie at the end.

Which one? The one that drives off? I thought the redhead was cute.
Old 07-28-19, 12:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Yep, the one that drives off. That was the only time I recognized her... thought it was the foot girl that sold him the acid cigarette for some reason.
Old 07-28-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should have also mentioned that the 35mm version was much brighter than the digital version. I figure that for 35mm screening they had to do some heavy duty calibration -- at the very least, there were notes from QT to follow.
Old 07-28-19, 12:57 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yep, the one that drives off. That was the only time I recognized her... thought it was the foot girl that sold him the acid cigarette for some reason.
I only recognized her in the scene at the end. I don’t think she was the one selling the cigarette.
Old 07-28-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, that was completely entertaining. The performances, the dialogue, the fucking music (the Stones 'Out of Time' had me anxious for what I thought was to come), the set design/backgrounds, the movie-in-the-movie, the slow burn setup for that batshit ending.

And how about Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen? Holy. Fucking. Shit. That was great.
Old 07-28-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14

I only recognized her in the scene at the end. I don’t think she was the one selling the cigarette.
I could be wrong, that's who I thought it was. I actually thought Harley Quinn Smith was Tate's blonde friend until someone said it was Rumor Willis. That means I still don't know who Harley Quinn Smith played.
Old 07-28-19, 01:17 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I could be wrong, that's who I thought it was. I actually thought Harley Quinn Smith was Tate's blonde friend until someone said it was Rumor Willis. That means I still don't know who Harley Quinn Smith played.
She was pretty much just a background character on the ranch. She was with the group the first time Pitt sees Qualley too. She’s the second from the right.

Old 07-28-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I can't get anyone to go with me to see this. They all give some reason about it looking like Death Proof but twice as long.
Old 07-28-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Slow flick.

Leo was very good, but Pitt was even better.

One of the finest roles of his career.
Old 07-28-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

This outperformed studio estimates, becoming Tarantino's first 40M+ domestic opening.
Old 07-28-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
This outperformed studio estimates, becoming Tarantino's first 40M+ domestic opening.

Is this his largest opening I guess? Interesting how while he's one of Hollywood's most revered filmmakers his movies are cult following based.
Old 07-28-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

This was an entertaining if overlong movie, but we've come to expect that you have to let QT have his self indulgent, drawn-out sequences in order to get to the good stuff.

Once Upon a Time... is an affectionate tribute to the unsung B-movie stars and stuntmen that we tend to take for granted and view as lesser lights in comparison to their big name counterparts (ironically, the two protagonists are played by two of the biggest stars in Hollywood).

Cliff (Pitt) is an ace stuntman whose shady past and cocky attitude have left him relying heavily on his buddy Rick (DiCaprio) to find him work. Rick was a huge TV star once, but his star is now quickly fading and he finds himself being cast as villainous characters. He dreams of landing roles like Steve McQueen's in The Great Escape, but his future is more likely to be starring in spaghetti westerns. To add insult to injury, Rick lives next door to rising star Sharon Tate and her director hubby Roman Polanski, but they barely know he's there. (You get the sense that Rick would literally kill someone to get to meet with Tate and Polanski and become part of their inner circle -- and, ironically, that's kind of what happens).

Throughout the movie we are mostly presented with Rick's and Cliff's amusing struggles, embarrassments and failures as they navigate the fickle Hollywood landscape, but in the end, the pair manage to persevere and change the course of history by preventing one of the biggest Hollywood-related tragedies to occur

Rick's confrontation with Manson's followers in their car ends up causing them to alter their original plans, while Cliff is simply a badass who lays waste to the home invaders with a huge assist from his dog and Rick's wife. Ironically (there's that word again), in this movie's alternate reality, people will never realize that Cliff and Rick prevented Sharon Tate and her housemates from being brutally murdered, but we in the audience are well aware of the epic nature of their deeds.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 07-28-19 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
(the Stones 'Out of Time' had me anxious for what I thought was to come).
I was bummed out that it wasn’t the xylophone version (The only version that I ever listen to) but the alternate orchestral track that was used fits in with the alternate world that’s about to be created.
Old 07-28-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

My showing was filled with old people. Like walker old. More than a few walked out.
On the other hand, I loved it. QT is 9 for 9.
Old 07-28-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Saw it this afternoon, and while I found it overall to be entertaining, I can't shake the feeling that this is the only time I'll watch it. No replay value for me. First Tarantino film I can say that about. I didn't like that the movie was essentially plot-less. At least it felt that way to me. Again, glad I watched it, enjoyed it, but don't expect to revisit it
Old 07-28-19, 06:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The movie isn’t really about a plot. It’s a sumptuous immersion into a place. The sights and sounds. The radio ads. The bus benches. I spent most of my time looking over the shoulders of the actors.

It was less a movie and more like flipping through a scrapbook or having a virtual tour of the past.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.