Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

My local theater had a double feature of The Stunt Man and Hooper last night, and I felt that was some nice preparation for this. Just got back from a screening in 35 mm.

All the detail with Dalton’s career and the fictional history. Good stuff, sort of reminds me of the fictional history in Spinal Tap, now that I think of it, when they show Shark Sandwich or their hippie days.

I want to catch this again in theaters, maybe after watching some of those QT recommended movies.
Old 07-25-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw it this afternoon in 35mm at Alamo.

I love all of QT's other movies, but I came away a little bit disappointed with this one and thought it was merely ok. It just weirdly felt like it was somehow less than the sum of its parts. More than once I thought the in-movie movie or show they were filming was more interesting than the actual movie I was watching. The ending was great, and Rick getting the flamethrower and cooking that bitch Krenwinkel got some nice laughs and cheers from my crowd.
Old 07-26-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
I saw it this afternoon in 35mm at Alamo.

I love all of QT's other movies, but I came away a little bit disappointed with this one and thought it was merely ok. It just weirdly felt like it was somehow less than the sum of its parts. More than once I thought the in-movie movie or show they were filming was more interesting than the actual movie I was watching. The ending was great, and Rick getting the flamethrower and cooking that bitch Krenwinkel got some nice laughs and cheers from my crowd.
That was Susan Atkins, which made it far more satisfying.

I was worried that Margaret Qualley's character was Atkins, because I don't like anyone, not even QT, making her likeable.

I'm not quite sure what to think of this movie yet, I'm gonna need to digest it, probably needs another viewing. Meanwhile, this weekend I'll be watching Jim Van Bebber's The Manson Family. Because as much as I like seeing what happened to Tex, Susan, and Katie (in Tarantino's film), I know that's just not how it went down.
Old 07-26-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
More than once I thought the in-movie movie or show they were filming was more interesting than the actual movie I was watching.
Prior to the ending, that was the only part that I wasn't a fan of. It just went on way too long. Had that showdown-section with Clifton Collins (Who I was still glad to see in a QT film) been trimmed out, I felt the scene would have been much more digestible.

And then the ending. Now I don't mind QT pulling another one of his "What if" takes here, but to turn the climax into something out of Looney Tunes just didn't work. Although some of the comments here would disagree. As well as plenty of other people in the crowd who I saw it with. But the fairytale ending fits with the title, sooo….

But I loved just about everything else. I never got tired of hearing that prevalent radio everywhere and a big for Clu's cameo.

Originally Posted by Red Hood
The only thing I didn't get was the whole Bruce Lee coming off as an asshole in the film. Was he like that or does Quentin simply don't like him? Never heard stories of Bruce Lee being like that on set.
Lee did display cockiness here and there, but yeah, QT has always had some sort of grudge with him. Always saying that he's a bigger Jackie fan and even preferring Bruce Li over him. At least he did give him a little respect in Natural Born Killers (Check out the deleted court scene which he wrote)
Old 07-26-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I just got back from this and it's my #1 film of the year dethroning Dragged Across Concrete. It's definitely a QT "stream of consciousness" film. He loves Hollywood. It's one of Pitt's best performances in a while. Saw it in 35mm but we had small glitch during the Al Pacino scene in the beginning, so we lost about 2 minutes -- didn't get to see him say his line about seeing Dalton in those action movies going "drooot drooot drooot!" After the show we got a magazine and a free movie ticket for our trouble.

I'd say that this film is the spiritual sequel to Inglourious Basterds just on ending alone - it was a fable. It also had plenty of nods to Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho while at the Spahn Ranch and Blade Runner during the hysterical screaming lady at the end. But yeah, that burst of violence at the end fucked everyone up in the theater.

I'm definitely going back for seconds. It was terrific.

Oh, did anyone notice that Tim Roth's scene was cut? It even says in the credits "Tim Roth (cut)," so I hope there's an extended cut on home video or how he did with H8 on Netflix.
Old 07-26-19, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The only thing I didn't get was the whole Bruce Lee coming off as an asshole in the film. Was he like that or does Quentin simply don't like him? Never heard stories of Bruce Lee being like that on set.
It was a daydream by Booth, so that might explain the over-the-Top interpretation.
Old 07-26-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yeah, the tone of the movie during the Spahn Ranch scene felt like a horror movie, especially with the music.
Old 07-26-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

End credit sequence(s):
Don’t think so.
Not just one, but technically two!
Old 07-26-19, 07:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, the tone of the movie during the Spahn Ranch scene felt like a horror movie, especially with the music.
This was the best sequence with arguably the worst payoff....

Spoiler:
I get that Tarantino was clearly subverting expectations here... as he should. But the whole... "no really, the girls weren't lying at all, they were just needlessly defensive about letting him see his old friend" thing didn't work as well as Tarantino seemed to think it would. It was a groaner and felt uncharacteristic in the way it was executed.

until...
the last 20-ish minutes of the film.

Oof.

I need to give this more time... and I might go see it again just to catch the end/after credits stuff.
Old 07-26-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I love Tarantino. This is a film I'm going to have to let sink in to determine how I really feel about it. I was a little thrown off by the ending because I thought it would end with Tate's murder. Brad Pitt stole the movie imo, but I love Margot Robbie in anything, so no one did a bad job at all. It was a great movie with an awesome cast. I'm just deciding how much I liked it and whether or not I would consider it great. I will definitely watch it again at some point, but don't see another theatrical visit on the horizon.
Old 07-26-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the things about Tarantino films is that on the first viewing you watch what happens, but on the second time around (when you already know what happens), you just focus on the journey there. I remember my first viewing of Pulp Fiction, being kinda bored by Vincent Vega and Mia Wallace at dinner, while being at the edge of my seat when Marcellus is chasing Butch. Now it's the other way around. The more "action-packed" Gold Watch segment bores me a bit, but I love the scenes of characters just talking. Or one of my favorite scenes in any QT film, in Jackie Brown when Max Cherry comes to Jackie's house for coffee.

So I'll definitely be giving this another watch soon, just to admire the subtleties without worrying about the plot (which is probably the most non-existent in any QT film so far...)
Old 07-26-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
This was the best sequence with arguably the worst payoff....
I kept trying to figure out how it might play out.

I'm probably seeing it again today. This time I'll do the digital version.
Old 07-26-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
One of the things about Tarantino films is that on the first viewing you watch what happens, but on the second time around (when you already know what happens), you just focus on the journey there. I remember my first viewing of Pulp Fiction, being kinda bored by Vincent Vega and Mia Wallace at dinner, while being at the edge of my seat when Marcellus is chasing Butch. Now it's the other way around. The more "action-packed" Gold Watch segment bores me a bit, but I love the scenes of characters just talking. Or one of my favorite scenes in any QT film, in Jackie Brown when Max Cherry comes to Jackie's house for coffee.

So I'll definitely be giving this another watch soon, just to admire the subtleties without worrying about the plot (which is probably the most non-existent in any QT film so far...)
I couldn't have said it better myself. what was up with ricks nervous tick though? What was the point of that? Another question I have that my brother and I were arguing about is did the Manson family originally plan to kill everyone in the Polanski house or the Dalton house? I took it as they planned on killing everyone in the Polanski house until they had the run-in with Rick then they decided to murder him and whoever was in his house.
Old 07-26-19, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I couldn't have said it better myself. what was up with ricks nervous tick though? What was the point of that?
I think there's a few well-known actors who exhibit this kind of thing when they're not acting, but are able to suppress it when they are. Just adds some depth the his character.

Another question I have that my brother and I were arguing about is did the Manson family originally plan to kill everyone in the Polanski house or the Dalton house? I took it as they planned on killing everyone in the Polanski house until they had the run-in with Rick then they decided to murder him and whoever was in his house.
Yeah. I took it as the plan obviously being to enter the Polanski residence, but after the encounter with Rick, I figured their plan was changed to kill him first, then head to the Polanski house, since there was talk about the previous resident and all that beforehand. Manson wouldn't have been satisfied if they came back after only killing Rick, etc.
Old 07-26-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

The more I think of it, the more I'm seeing and loving Cliff's role as the loyal samurai-warrior to Rick's Lord or Shogun.

Some little moments that I loved:

-Bruce's Joe Lewis line (My biggest laugh)
-The C.C. and Company trailer playing at the theater. Wayne Cochrane's appearance is the most unforgettable moment of the trailer. Glad to see Tarantino include that specific part.
-QT bringing back Roy Rogers' The Golden Stallion as a poster by Rick's bar. Bill watches the film on his TV in Kill Bill Vol 2.
-A cool trademark of Bob Richardson's photography is when his lighting gives the characters white outlines. We've seen it numerous times in Scorsese and Stone films. It was great to see it during Steve McQueen's scene.
-At the theater, you can see a poster for The Mercenary on display. Which was, in real life, made by Sergio Corbucci. Who eventually becomes Rick Dalton's director! Bonus: As most of us know, music from The Mercenary was used in Kill Bill Vol 2.
Old 07-26-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Don't cry in front of the Mexicans."
Old 07-26-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also enjoyed that scene of Dalton and Olyphant in the saloon and Dalton chokes on his lines. "Evil Hamlet."
Old 07-26-19, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I couldn't have said it better myself. what was up with ricks nervous tick though? What was the point of that? Another question I have that my brother and I were arguing about is did the Manson family originally plan to kill everyone in the Polanski house or the Dalton house? I took it as they planned on killing everyone in the Polanski house until they had the run-in with Rick then they decided to murder him and whoever was in his house.
I think the nervous tick was caused by the alcoholism and the insecurity Rick has on his talent. It’s pretty clear to see that acting brings the best of Rick as he’s in shape, not stuttering and confident while Rick is an emotional mess personally as he gets older.

As for the murder plans, they were definitely going to hit the Polanski house first. It’s the house Manson knew and following what happened in real life, it’s what the original plan was. The group decided to hit Rick’s house when pale face in the back had her moment of “enlightenment” in which she associated movie and tv violence to real one. The group decided to kill everyone in Dalton’s house then but one of the girls bailed out.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
"Don't cry in front of the Mexicans."
I cracked up laughing at that line.
Old 07-26-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's also note that Quentin Tarantino has moved on from close-ups of womens' feet, to close-ups of womens' dirty feet.
Old 07-26-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Can anyone tell me the name of the song that played during the end credits? I couldn't place it but I definitely knew it
Old 07-26-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Anybody seeing it at the New Beverly or getting the exclusive vinyl soundtrack at Amoeba? I wish I was in LA right now.
Old 07-26-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Anybody seeing it at the New Beverly or getting the exclusive vinyl soundtrack at Amoeba? I wish I was in LA right now.
I wanted to go to Amoeba for it, but too much hassle. I don't even know how much it will cost. I just read that it's being released in three versions later in the fall, so I will wait on that instead.
Old 07-26-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Dirty movies have premieres?
Old 07-26-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Let's also note that Quentin Tarantino has moved on from close-ups of womens' feet, to close-ups of womens' dirty feet.
It was the 1960's -- everyone had dirty ass feet, bush, and hairy armpits.

I think the hitchhiker Cliff picked so hot. Looked her up on IMDB and she's Andie McDowell's daughter.
Old 07-26-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the nervous tick was caused by the alcoholism and the insecurity Rick has on his talent. It’s pretty clear to see that acting brings the best of Rick as he’s in shape, not stuttering and confident while Rick is an emotional mess personally as he gets older.

As for the murder plans, they were definitely going to hit the Polanski house first. It’s the house Manson knew and following what happened in real life, it’s what the original plan was. The group decided to hit Rick’s house when pale face in the back had her moment of “enlightenment” in which she associated movie and tv violence to real one. The group decided to kill everyone in Dalton’s house then but one of the girls bailed out.

I cracked up laughing at that line.
We also cracked up at Dalton saying he drank 8 whiskey sours. And he doesn't even like whiskey sours! That shit had me rolling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.