Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Easily one of the best if not the best movie I have seen this year so far. Loved all of it. Those whining about Bruce Lee all I can say is oh for fucks sake...people piss and moan about every goddamn thing these days and I am sick of it. I guess that means I am pissing and moaning.

Never got to see it in the theater so blind bought it.
Old 12-14-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I loved this. It’s definitely Tarantino’s love letter to Hollywood and if he’s going to stick to his 10 film limit I’m kind of surprised he didn’t hold off on this until the end. In addition to the Hollywood history aspect, Tarantino had a who’s who of actors from all his films on this. It played kind of like a farewell film.

As much as you could feel Tarantino’s love for Hollywood I’m every frame, I also felt like this was the least “Tarantino” movie Tarantino has directed. It just didn’t seem like it had his style of filmmaking. I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Everything else was great. Late 60s Hollywood has always intrigued me so I wasn’t disappointed in the film’s meandering pace at all. I just enjoyed being in that world and often caught myself getting lost looking in the background of the scenes.

I haven’t ranked my 2019 list yet but this one will certainly be in the Top 3, at least.
Old 01-17-20, 12:44 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 01-17-20, 01:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

That was a good interview.
Old 01-27-20, 11:51 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 02-05-20, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I finally got around to seeing it, and I'm torn. Like almost everything Tarantino does, it's well made. The dialog pops, the acting is top-notch, it's excellently directed, and it's never boring. Those are all good things, but those are also the things that kept going through my head as I watched it. It's like i couldn't let go of the really good technical/artistic aspects and just get lost in the movie itself. I was constantly aware that I was watching a Tarantino movie. A scene would end, and I'd go, "Wow, Pitt was really great there," or, "That scene was very cleverly directed."

I think maybe that's just how Tarantino's movies work (or don't work) for me. I can appreciate them for the skill on display, but he's not the kind of director whose movies I find immersive.
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (02-10-20)
Old 02-08-20, 11:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I finally got around to seeing it, and I'm torn. Like almost everything Tarantino does, it's well made. The dialog pops, the acting is top-notch, it's excellently directed, and it's never boring. Those are all good things, but those are also the things that kept going through my head as I watched it. It's like i couldn't let go of the really good technical/artistic aspects and just get lost in the movie itself. I was constantly aware that I was watching a Tarantino movie. A scene would end, and I'd go, "Wow, Pitt was really great there," or, "That scene was very cleverly directed."

I think maybe that's just how Tarantino's movies work (or don't work) for me. I can appreciate them for the skill on display, but he's not the kind of director whose movies I find immersive.
Similar thoughts here. Great pieces of the craft all around, but I am rarely immersed in his films. Almost feel like his films are interchangeable; when I’m in the mood for him, any of them will do.
Old 02-09-20, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Just saw this tonight.

Once again, and probably moreso for this film, hire an outside editor who has no ties to the project. Could have easily cut 30 minutes and it wouldn't have made a difference.
They did a great job getting the feel of 1969 - very immersive... and all the technicals were very well done... but it was pretty empty and shallow.
I get that it's basically a love letter to Hollywood, but most of his films are - even if they aren't in story line... and it's just not enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coral:
story (06-13-20), TheMovieman (02-10-20)
Old 06-13-20, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

It recreated the 60s well which I remember a little bit, but i HATED this movie. It was meandering and super uninteresting. Just recreating the 60s for me doesnt make a movie good. It was super slow, boring and I was glad when it was over. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction would both be in my Top 100 movies of all time, but I have liked each of his movies a little less. He just doesn't connect with me anymore. I'd be interested in a Star Trek for him but I would likely skip any original he does from now on. I did like the child actor, I think that was the only part I liked. To be honest, the Western Pilot they were filming probably would have been a better movie. It was technically good, well acted and filmed just sort of useless. 1 star for me.
Old 06-13-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
It recreated the 60s well which I remember a little bit, but i HATED this movie. It was meandering and super uninteresting. Just recreating the 60s for me doesnt make a movie good. It was super slow, boring and I was glad when it was over. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction would both be in my Top 100 movies of all time, but I have liked each of his movies a little less. He just doesn't connect with me anymore. I'd be interested in a Star Trek for him but I would likely skip any original he does from now on. I did like the child actor, I think that was the only part I liked. To be honest, the Western Pilot they were filming probably would have been a better movie. It was technically good, well acted and filmed just sort of useless. 1 star for me.
Well, if you can find that episode of "Lancer," you'll be able to see for yourself. I found one scene from it on YouTube. After watching this, I wondered why Tarantino didn't give Joe Don Baker a cameo in OUATIH. He's the actor who played the part that DiCaprio is recreating in the scene:

Old 06-13-20, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I was a bit underwhelmed by it on my first viewing but became hooked on my second showing. I like it’s laid back atmosphere.
Old 06-14-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

For me a Tarantino film always takes more than one viewing to catch everything and I always enjoy them more the second time.
Old 06-14-20, 11:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
For me a Tarantino film always takes more than one viewing to catch everything and I always enjoy them more the second time.
even third and fourth. first time always grabs me, following times i just sit back and enjoy and catch everything i didn't the first time. his movies are so rich is dialogue and character study, you just get lost and fascinated at the same time by the writing and these characters coming together and gelling so well.
Old 06-14-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I watched the special feature exclusive on the iTunes version, and QT says that he wrote 4-episodes of Bounty Law to get a handle on Rick Dalton's characterization. I think that's awesome. He also talks about Dalton being a composite of a few different actors who fizzled before their time.
Old 06-14-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Well, if you can find that episode of "Lancer," you'll be able to see for yourself. I found one scene from it on YouTube. After watching this, I wondered why Tarantino didn't give Joe Don Baker a cameo in OUATIH. He's the actor who played the part that DiCaprio is recreating in the scene:

https://youtu.be/G1moHrKO9eE
Had no idea it was a real series. The character is very close to the one DiCaprio plays. Should have realized it though.