DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Is a movie earning one billion dollars at the box office still considered a major achievement? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/648193-movie-earning-one-billion-dollars-box-office-still-considered-major-achievement.html)

Sub-Zero 07-21-19 05:15 PM

Is a movie earning one billion dollars at the box office still considered a major achievement?

Currently the website Box Office Mojo lists 39 movies in the billion dollar club, and more will likely join the club soon:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

With more and more movies now earning at least a billion dollars, is earning one billion dollars or more at the global box office still considered a major achievement for a movie?

OldBoy 07-21-19 05:21 PM

Re: Is a movie earning one billion dollars at the box office still considered a major achievement?

um, out on a limb...yes! in every possible way...yes! 39 out of millions of films. c'mon, this is something i would ask...

RichC2 07-21-19 05:30 PM

Re: Is a movie earning one billion dollars at the box office still considered a major achievement?

A billion worldwide is an achievement, but isn't huge news anymore. A billion domestic would be most impressive.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13581676)
um, out on a limb...yes! in every possible way...yes! 39 out of millions of films. c'mon, this is something i would ask...

its all in how you look at it. Before 2009 only five movies had broke $1 bln worldwide (Titanic, Jurassic Park, Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest, Phantom Menace) and there have been 34 since then which definitely dilutes it slightly. Imo at least. Ever since the Chinese market exploded we've had several a year.

majorjoe23 07-21-19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13581676)
c'mon, this is something i would ask...

One of you needs this, but I’m not sure which one:

https://ameriburn.org/public-resourc...a-burn-center/

stvn1974 07-21-19 06:33 PM

I have never cared how much a film makes since I don't own stock in any of the studios. It also doesn't mean anything when it comes to the merit of the film. Star Wars The Last Jedi might have made over a billion dollars but it doesn't mean it isn't garbage. Plus Nolan is on that list so that right there shows that it only means movie goers have shitty taste.

dex14 07-21-19 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13581690)

One of you needs this, but I’m not sure which one:

https://ameriburn.org/public-resourc...a-burn-center/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8699adfac7.gif

TheAllPurposeNothing 07-21-19 09:21 PM

Depends on the movie. Some small or medium-sized indie film or a documentary making that kind of money would be considered a major achievement. For the next Star Wars, maybe not so much.

Decker 07-21-19 10:42 PM

Wow, unless I missed something the first R-rated movie on that list is Deadpool 2 and it and Deadpool are the only R-rated films on the list at all. There is something on the list called Wolf Warrior 2 that made $2.7M in the US but $870M overall, good enough for #67, but that is unrated.

Ash Ketchum 07-22-19 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13581812)
Wow, unless I missed something the first R-rated movie on that list is Deadpool 2 and it and Deadpool are the only R-rated films on the list at all. There is something on the list called Wolf Warrior 2 that made $2.7M in the US but $870M overall, good enough for #67, but that is unrated.

WOLF WARRIOR 2, which I saw in a Manhattan theater, is a Chinese propaganda action film done in the Rambo style, with a small band of Chinese ex-military fighting terrorists in Africa after the U.S. has withdrawn its forces. I don't recall anything in it that would have rated it R, but there was a lot of action and killing, usually of Africans. It's far-fetched but quite effective and one can see why it was a big hit in China. I'm pretty sure we had a thread on it here.

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 01:27 PM

Proud to say “Avengers Endgame” did not get a single penny from me.

OldBoy 07-22-19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13582112)
Proud to say “Avengers Endgame” did not get a single penny from me.

and proud, why exactly?

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 03:04 PM

I didn’t contribute to something I didnt cared for, hence the proudness.

movielib 07-22-19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13582182)

I'm proud I didn't buy broccoli this morning because I don't like it.

Mabuse 07-22-19 03:14 PM

After Infinity War left me not really giving a shit I’m waiting for Netflix.

OldBoy 07-22-19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13582182)

but, why do you see that as an achievement to be proud of is what i'm wondering? obviously, it didn't matter, so what did you accomplish? if it bombed or any other movie for that matter that you feel proud when you don't contribute, maybe that would be a hint of glee, perhaps. again, just curious...

L Everett Scott 07-22-19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing (Post 13581780)
Depends on the movie. Some small or medium-sized indie film or a documentary making that kind of money would be considered a major achievement.

Did you mean 'would be considered a miracle'? Without a $70M marketing budget or a blockbuster-sized theatrical release, it would take divine intervention to get a documentary or indie film to come anywhere near a billion-dollar gross.

Either divine intervention or some communist country reporting huge numbers for such a film and not bothering with any means of authenticating said numbers. But that's just fiction because no country like that exists in real life. :rolleyes:

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 13582187)
I'm proud I didn't buy broccoli this morning because I don't like it.

I would say Avengers Endgame is tad of a bigger deal than brocolli.

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13582197)
but, why do you see that as an achievement to be proud of is what i'm wondering? obviously, it didn't matter, so what did you accomplish? if it bombed or any other movie for that matter that you feel proud when you don't contribute, maybe that would be a hint of glee, perhaps. again, just curious...

I didnt contribute anything to these megalomaniacs that made the movie is what I’m most proud of. They’re swimming in a sea of cash and It did not came from me...yes!

devilshalo 07-22-19 04:10 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...583d62fcdc.gif

movielib 07-22-19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13582207)

I would say Avengers Endgame is tad of a bigger deal than brocolli.

Not so sure. I'd bet broccoli has earned more than $3 billion dollars in its lifetime.

DJariya 07-22-19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13582210)

I didnt contribute anything to these megalomaniacs that made the movie is what I’m most proud of. They’re swimming in a sea of cash and It did not came from me...yes!

I think you could have articulated this a little better to not sound so high and mighty and be so "proud" that you didn't pay a cent to a big company like Disney.

I think you're really trying to say that you don't like Big Hollywood blockbusters because they take away money and publicity from smaller films that you prefer.

There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone likes blockbusters. But, in the end, studios want to make money from movies they invest in.

What studio wants to spend $5 to $10M on some quirky Indie film that only makes $500K?

I see you're a David Lynch fan, but his movies make no money. People barely watched Twin Peaks. That's why he's not a regularly working director. Seems to me he's really only popular in the cult film and film festival circuit.

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13582225)

sure, is Mrs. Field still around.

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13582234)
I think you could have articulated this a little better to not sound so high and mighty and be so "proud" that you didn't pay a cent to a big company like Disney.

I think you're really trying to say that you don't like Big Hollywood blockbusters because they take away money and publicity from smaller films that you prefer.

There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone likes blockbusters. But, in the end, studios want to make money from movies they invest in.

What studio wants to spend $5 to $10M on some quirky Indie film that only makes $500K?

I see you're a David Lynch fan, but his movies make no money. People barely watched Twin Peaks. That's why he's not a regularly working director. Seems to me he's really only popular in the cult film and film festival circuit.

I like all types of movie, There are tons of big Hollywood movies I like so it's definitely not an A/B situation. I just pick on the wrong movie (but i knew that going in with the post :D).
What you mean people barely watch Twin Peaks, it has quite a big following and I'm sure does make good money...but I honestly don't want it to get any bigger (I'm a best kept secret type of guy).

davidlynchfan 07-22-19 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 13582232)
Not so sure. I'd bet broccoli has earned more than $3 billion dollars in its lifetime.

sure, but just not as sexy to discuss Brocolli (or be proud to hate it) than Avengers "5,087 pages worth of discussion" Endgame.

DJariya 07-22-19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13582241)

I like all types of movie, There are tons of big Hollywood movies I like so it's definitely not an A/B situation. I just pick on the wrong movie (but i knew that going in with the post :D).
What you mean people barely watch Twin Peaks, it has quite a big following and I'm sure does make good money.

The Showtime return averaged 287K in viewers, which is terrible for a premium cable show that had such a hyped return.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/t...three-ratings/

and I know it has a cult following, but Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me made no money. $4.1M

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...walkwithme.htm