DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/648188-fantastic-four-2025-d-shakman-s-pascal-kirby-moss-bachrach-quinn.html)

dex14 07-21-19 02:07 AM

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

It is inevitable, so might as well start a thread.

Marvel is going back to the Fantastic Four.

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige announced that a new movie based on the superhero group is in the works at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday. Further details, however, including a release date, were not revealed.

It marks the first Fox property for Disney to mine since the two studios officially merged.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/n...ticle-comments

Mike86 07-21-19 04:22 PM

re: Marvel’s Fantastic Four (2024 D: Shakman) - news, rumors, etc.

Nice to get confirmation that this is starting to be worked on. Looking forward to seeing the Fantastic Four worked into the MCU.

B5Erik 07-21-19 04:29 PM

At some point Marvel's going to have to reboot. This might be a great place to start.

The FF was the first Marvel Age comic, so it would be a great way to reboot the entire MCU.

I don't know if that will happen, but they can't keep going to the well of B, C, and D characters and come up with $400 Million domestic box office movies. They're going to need to go back to Iron Man, Captain America, the Avengers, The Hulk, etc, at some point. Rebooting would also allow them to fit the X-Men into the continuity smoothly, too.

We'll see. The more I think about it I doubt they would do that, but it sure would work well as a re-starting point for the MCU.

OldBoy 07-21-19 04:59 PM

what is so damn special about the FF that is has to reboot all the time?

TGM 07-21-19 05:09 PM

David Harbour will play The Thing. Just you watch.

edit, nevermind. lol.

Trevor 07-21-19 07:13 PM

Gene Simmons posted a letter via Twitter that he sent to Stan Lee in 1982. It was on KISS letterhead and told Marvel legend Lee that he wanted to play The Thing in the Fantastic Four film that was being bounced around at the time. Simmons had worked with Lee in the past on an issue of Howard the Duck and two KISS comic books.

Sonic 07-21-19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13581671)

The Fantastic Four are one of the first originator teams of Marvel (1961). It wasn't the Avengers (1963). Now you don't think they deserve to dine in the spotlight as well? It's just not fair.

They need the right people and director to truly show how great FF is. I have faith in Marvel. I love Fantastic Four!

OldBoy 07-21-19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13581729)
The Fantastic Four are one of the first originator teams of Marvel (1961). It wasn't the Avengers (1963). Now you don't think they deserve to dine in the spotlight as well? It's just not fair.

They need the right people and director to truly show how great FF is. I have faith in Marvel. I love Fantastic Four!

i dunno. 4 misfits with some weird mutated abilites. how powerful are they really? they have never been interesting in anything that's been out thus far. what more can they do? and yes, i hope i eat those words, but still...

ultimaton 07-21-19 09:48 PM

More than any of the stuff that's coming, Marvel finally giving us a proper FF -- and Doom! -- adaptation is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Decker 07-21-19 10:30 PM

Well the Disney merger with Fox was to get their Marvel properties, right? That's X-Men, Deadpool and F4. They don\t want to go right back to X-Men, they're keeping the Deadpool franchise as is, as I understand things and so this would be the first property for them to revisit. It's not like they're putting this movie out in 2020 either, it's just before the X-Men reboot.

B5Erik 07-21-19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13581745)
i dunno. 4 misfits with some weird mutated abilites. how powerful are they really? they have never been interesting in anything that's been out thus far. what more can they do? and yes, i hope i eat those words, but still...

Have you ever read a Fantastic Four comic book? From about issue 48 through the Byrne era it was one of the best comics around. They aren't just four misfits with some weird mutated abilities. Reed Richards is a scientific genius. Ben Grimm is a great pilot and an athlete - and one of the most honest and loyal friends around. Sue Storm is the voice of reason. Johnny Storm is the hotheaded kid. They're a dysfunctional family, but they aren't misfits.

And The Fantastic Four was the first modern era Marvel comic.

The fact that the first two FF movies were utterly mediocre doesn't reflect on the source material, and the less said about Fant4stic the better. Those movies were less than great because of the people making the movies, not because of the concept or the characters.

Mondo Kane 07-22-19 03:02 AM

what is so damn special about the FF

World’s Greatest Comic Magazine, Yo!

Sonny Corinthos 07-22-19 06:23 AM

The Fantastic Four was always one of my must have buys when I bought comic books starting as a kid into adulthood. It's never had a proper film, so this is great news!

d2cheer 07-22-19 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13581877)
The Fantastic Four was always one of my must have buys when I bought comic books starting as a kid into adulthood. It's never had a proper film, so this is great news!

Same here. This is one of the first comics I ever got into. I love The Thing and always loved it when he and the Hulk battled even though the Hulk usually got the better of him.

Mike86 07-22-19 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13581662)
At some point Marvel's going to have to reboot. This might be a great place to start.

The FF was the first Marvel Age comic, so it would be a great way to reboot the entire MCU.

I don't know if that will happen, but they can't keep going to the well of B, C, and D characters and come up with $400 Million domestic box office movies. They're going to need to go back to Iron Man, Captain America, the Avengers, The Hulk, etc, at some point. Rebooting would also allow them to fit the X-Men into the continuity smoothly, too.

We'll see. The more I think about it I doubt they would do that, but it sure would work well as a re-starting point for the MCU.

They’ve been going on smaller name characters pretty much from the start. Until the films start to not do well they won’t be rebooting the MCU. Plus if I had to guess this will probably come during Phase 4 (probably at the end) or maybe the beginning of Phase 5. I don’t think they’d be rebooting that soon. That kind of defeats what the MCU has been doing this entire time. I see it as continually evolving. We might see new versions of characters but probably not the same ones (ie new Cap and Iron Man, but not necessarily Steve and Tony).

mphtrilogy 07-22-19 10:14 AM

this is great news, it's all about the casting for sure!

majorjoe23 07-22-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13581962)

They’ve been going on smaller name characters pretty much from the start. Until the films start to not do well they won’t be rebooting the MCU. Plus if I had to guess this will probably come during Phase 4 or maybe 5. I don’t think they’d be rebooting that soon.

a full on reboot would be pretty foolish, because there will always be some newly introduced franchise that has legs. Why throw out the baby with the bath water? So they might find a way to work Steve Rogers Cap with a new actor somewhere down the line, but why reboot everything when the New Warriors and Sleepwalker movies of 2030 had $1 billion opening weekends?

story 07-22-19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13581962)

They’ve been going on smaller name characters pretty much from the start.

I think Iron Man really proves this. I mean, Iron Man. Great. Fine character. But he's the key to all of this? I honestly never would've seen that coming, not in a million years.

Spiderbite 07-22-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13581816)
Have you ever read a Fantastic Four comic book? From about issue 48 through the Byrne era it was one of the best comics around. They aren't just four misfits with some weird mutated abilities. Reed Richards is a scientific genius. Ben Grimm is a great pilot and an athlete - and one of the most honest and loyal friends around. Sue Storm is the voice of reason. Johnny Storm is the hotheaded kid. They're a dysfunctional family, but they aren't misfits.

And The Fantastic Four was the first modern era Marvel comic.

The fact that the first two FF movies were utterly mediocre doesn't reflect on the source material, and the less said about Fant4stic the better. Those movies were less than great because of the people making the movies, not because of the concept or the characters.

Plus Ben Grimm/The Thing was one of the best, well-rounded tragic figures in all of comics. I used to feel so bad for him as a kid and all the crappy shit he had to go through because he looked like a monster all the time. He was always a much more sympathetic character than Bruce Banner/The Hulk in my opinion. And I grew up with John Byrne's FF so I was in heaven. And I loved all the cross-overs (going back to the early days) with Spider-Man and The Human Torch. Their rivalry always interested me as a kid and pre-teen. And it was always nice to see how much Reed and Sue loved each other (although it got old seeing the word "darling" so much in many of the issues ;)).

And I don't give a crap what others say. I enjoyed the first two FF movies. Yeah, they had issues and Galactus sucked, but they were also fun and hokey...like a lot of the FF comics of the 70's and 80's. And let's just forget Fant4stic was ever made.

I look forward to whatever Marvel decides to do with them. It is truly a wonderful time to be a comic book fan (movie-wise) if you grew up with all of their characters as a kid.

mndtrp 07-22-19 12:46 PM

I don't know much of anything about F4 beyond the movies already released. People seem like these guys are fucking awesome, so I'm looking forward to whatever the MCU can do with them.

Cusm 07-22-19 01:44 PM

As long as they keep HERBIE out it should be good.

dex14 02-07-20 01:11 PM

Krasinski wants in!

I had read some rumor/story a little while back that Emily Blunt had a meeting with Marvel while she was shooting Jungle Cruise.

There have been rumours swirling for a while now that John Krasinski – director of A Quiet Place Part II, star of The Office – could play Mr. Fantastic in an MCU reboot of the Fantastic Four. Marvel fans are even holding out hope that Emily Blunt – the Mary Poppins and Sicario actress who happens to be married to Krasinski – could play fellow Fantastic Four member, and the character's partner, Sue Storm.

Speaking exclusively to our sister publication Total Film magazine for the latest issue, Krasinski spoke about potentially taking on the role.

"You’re like, 'Do you have any interest in not shattering people’s dreams?'" Krasinski says with a grin. "I would love to be in the Marvel universe. I love those movies because they’re fun, but I also think they’re really well done. And certainly a lot of my friends are in those movies. I have no idea what [Marvel] are thinking. But if they are considering me for Mr. Fantastic, continue to consider me because I would love it."

TF also asked whether Krasinski would consider directing a Marvel blockbuster, and answered: "Oh man, directing one of those things? I don't think I'm your guy. But if I was to act in one? I'd have so much fun."
https://www.gamesradar.com/fantastic...lunt-cast-mcu/

Hokeyboy 02-07-20 02:36 PM

There better be a Thing Ring :mad:

nando820 02-07-20 02:40 PM

I was hoping the update was going to be an official announcement that he was casted

Mike86 02-07-20 02:43 PM

That Krasinski/Blunt fantasy casting from a while back would be great in my opinion. Hope it happens!