Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

Old 05-29-24, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 555 Posts
re: Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, they really should develop an MCU horror-themed sub-universe. The comics already gave them the bones to pull that off with the old 1990s "Midnight Suns" imprint... Ghost Rider, Morbius, Nightstalkers/Blade, Darkhold, and Doctor Strange. And then they also have properties like Son of Satan, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Man Thing, Nightmare, Mephisto...

But it seems like Marvel Studios is having a difficult time developing anything post-Thanos, and they're just churning out a stream of unwatchable shit. It's like Kevin Feige has turned into Ed Wood, just rubber-stamping any project that sounds good enough.
Old 05-29-24, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, they really should develop an MCU horror-themed sub-universe. The comics already gave them the bones to pull that off with the old 1990s "Midnight Suns" imprint... Ghost Rider, Morbius, Nightstalkers/Blade, Darkhold, and Doctor Strange. And then they also have properties like Son of Satan, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Man Thing, Nightmare, Mephisto...

But it seems like Marvel Studios is having a difficult time developing anything post-Thanos, and they're just churning out a stream of unwatchable shit. It's like Kevin Feige has turned into Ed Wood, just rubber-stamping any project that sounds good enough.
Although I agree with your points, the nitpicker in me needs to point out that you mean Midnight Sons. Midnight Suns is the video game loosely based on the former.
Old 05-30-24, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You have to remember Marvel wants another Black Panther-size hit on their hands with this Blade, another obscure Black superhero from the 1970s in their eyes. They don't want a modest film which would mostly be a Blade solo adventure and maybe do $100-150 million.

Add on top the idea you could backdoor introduce a whole Marvel horror-themed filmverse, you can see how they don't know what they want.
Of course. Every studio executive is now in the mindset of "Why spend $50M to turn a $100-200M profit, when you can risk $200M to make a $1B profit?" It's a stupid line of thinking that's hurting the industry and artform
Old 06-12-24, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts
Re: Marvel's Blade (2025, D: Demange) - S: Mahershala Ali

RIP Marvel’s Blade

2019 to 2024. Wake me up in 2030 if this ever happens.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-12-24 at 06:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (06-13-24), ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 06-13-24, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

Just bring back Stephen Norrington. It's not like any of his proposed projects post The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen have come to pass. So he's certainly available, unless he's still committed to that project with miniatures.
Old 06-14-24, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 301 Likes on 247 Posts

This Blade reboot is turning into Ant-Man, which I had been hearing about for many years, and then the Ant-Man film finally found a director and the rest is history. Ant-Man was stuck without a committed director for what feels like 5-6+ years (maybe even longer than that) before it got made.

At least with this film, unlike Ant-Man, there already is a Blade trilogy available to watch. The second film in the trilogy is still pretty solid, and the third is at best watchable (and has a pre-Deadpool Ryan Reynolds). I am pretty sure I have seen the first Blade 3 times, so yeah....at least we got a pretty good Blade when Wesley Snipes played the role.

I wonder if Marvel is willing to allow for a "soft" R film (or slightly boundary pushing PG-13), but the directors want to go all in on making this a true horror film and Marvel is saying no thanks, this is the template we want you to adhere to and directors think they can work with these constraints placed on them, until they realize they have other projects they could be working on where they do not have to worry about micro-management from the suits.

Old 06-14-24, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,327 Likes on 904 Posts

Bold prediction: After the astounding success of the R-rated Deadpool and Wolverine, Marvel recasts Ryan Reynolds as Blade to ensure R-rated success.
Old 06-14-24, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

How about Robert Downey Jr.?

Old 06-17-24, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (06-18-24), Why So Blu? (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Almost as easy as paying taxes, eh Snipes?
The following users liked this post:
HeIsTheZissou (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 02:13 PM

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

So easy he could do it with his eyes closed.
The following 2 users liked this post by HeIsTheZissou:
GoldenJCJ (06-18-24), IBJoel (06-18-24)
Old 06-17-24, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,275 Likes on 982 Posts

I think he's earned the right to talk shit. He paid his debt to society for taxes and got fucked over on Blade 3. Let him.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
RocShemp (06-17-24), TheMovieman (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Slash the budget, cast Michael Jai White, and get Isaac Florentine to direct.
Why So Blu? (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

Marvel had a hot hand making movies a decade ago. This is just embarrassing at this point. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Why So Blu? (06-17-24)
Old 06-18-24, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 390 Likes on 297 Posts

This movie is never going to see the light of day....
Old 06-18-24, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It wouldn't shock me if Blade gets converted to a television program down the line.
Old 06-18-24, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think he's earned the right to talk shit. He paid his debt to society for taxes and got fucked over on Blade 3. Let him.
Im not sure hes even talking shit. I mean, I have no idea what the hell hes saying in that tweet.
Old 06-20-24, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Im not sure hes even talking shit. I mean, I have no idea what the hell hes saying in that tweet.
To me he's saying, "if y'all had come to me and Amen-Ra Films, we coulda had this thing going.. but y'all keep making it hard on yourselves."
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
IBJoel (06-20-24), Why So Blu? (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It sounds like a spin on his stupid "Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill" line.
IBJoel (06-20-24)
Old 06-24-24, 10:19 AM

Received 4,800 Likes on 3,247 Posts

Why ‘Blade’ Can’t Cut Through Development Hell
Hampered by strikes and a changing studio strategy, Marvel’s Mahershala Ali-starring vampire thriller is a case study in stops and starts.

Marvel Studios keeps trying to unsheathe Blade, but the vampire thriller is stuck in its scabbard. The latest setback occurred in recent weeks when the feature lost director Yann Demange, the second helmer to exit the project. Some sources say both sides grew frustrated by Blade’s prolonged development process.

Star Mahershala Ali is also said to be increasingly frustrated. Ali, who has been attached to the project since 2019, handpicked Demange after the project lost director Bassam Tariq in September 2022. At the time, Blade was in preproduction and about two months from principal photography, but Marvel came to believe that Tariq was not the best fit for the project, according to sources. Marvel then presented Ali with a list of directors for consideration, but Ali conducted his own search after having concerns that the list largely featured filmmakers who were untested at the big studio level.

Ali has, at times, exercised an inordinate amount of influence over the project, in a way few other actors have on Marvel movies. Part of it stems from Blade’s inception, which began when Ali called the studio after winning the Oscar for his work on Green Book and said he wanted to do Blade. Ali has envisioned Blade as his Black Panther, according to sources.

Demange’s Blade was batting its wings toward a shoot starting in May 2023 and hired yet another writer, True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto, also an Ali pick, to bring the script over the finish line. But it was all for naught, as the writers strike, then the actors strike, shut the movie down. “People have missed about three windows to shoot other movies or shows,” an agent notes.

But unlike several other Marvel projects that were shut down and then restarted — including Deadpool & Wolverine and Thunderbolts — Blade instead let most of its actors go, Delroy Lindo and Aaron Pierre among them, and went through more writers. Marvel hired Michael Green in November. And right after Demange left, go-to Marvel writer Eric Pearson, who had pleased the studio with recent work on Thunderbolts and Fantastic Four, jumped in.

It’s been such a long road that memes of an aged Ali at the far-in-the-future premiere of Blade took over social media after the latest helmer parted ways. Even Wesley Snipes, who played the vampire hunter in a trio of movies released by New Line, weighed in. “Blade, lordylordylordy,” Snipes sniped on X.

Ali’s attorney, Shelby Weiser, told THR in a recent interview: “That deal was in 2019, and they still haven’t shot it, which is pretty much the craziest thing in my professional experience.”

On top of last year’s strikes, Blade was a victim of pandemic delays and Disney’s full-steam-ahead pivot to streaming, which forced Marvel to overproduce and overdevelop its slate.

“There wasn’t enough attention paid to it,” says one insider. “It really was a casualty of the ‘too much’ era.”

That could explain why Blade kept on shifting storylines and time periods. The version that was aiming to shoot last year was set in the 1920s, according to sources, and featured Mia Goth as a vampire villain named Lilith who wanted the blood of Blade’s daughter. (Goth remains attached to star in the project.) For another iteration, under Tariq, Marvel built a massive train set, but it was never used. (It may be passed on to a different Disney production.) The new take on Blade is said to be present day.

It is unclear how many millions Marvel has spent on Blade, counting the development and preproduction costs. But it’s not stopping now. Marvel has learned in recent years that it does not pay to be rushed into production. And the studio prides itself on having a high development-to-production ratio, something that eludes most other companies. The new plan calls for the script to be written over the summer and then go out to directors.

Marvel chief Kevin Feige holds a special place for Blade, considering the Snipes 1998 movie an eye-opener for him and one of the inspirations for focusing on B-list characters in the early days of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

As he remarked in 2017: “A character nobody had heard of at all, had only appeared in a few issues of Tomb of Dracula or something, turned into a big franchise. That was always a great lesson for me, where you go, ‘It doesn’t matter how well known the character is, it matters how cool the movie is.’”
Scribes Who’ve Tried to Sharpen Blade

February 2021: Marvel hires Watchmen writer Stacy Osei-Kuffour to pen the script for a project that has Oscar winner Mahershala Ali attached to star as the horror hero.

Fall 2022: Beau DeMayo, who created X-Men ’97, takes his own stab, described as a period piece.

April 2023: With the writers strike looming, Marvel shells out for True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto to write. (He worked with Blade star Ali on season three of the HBO series.)

Fall 2023: After losing original director Bassam Tariq, Marvel taps Michael Starrbury (When They See Us) to write a new script for new director Yann Demange.

Fall 2023: The studio hires star scribe Michael Green, known for well-received genre movies Logan and Blade Runner 2049.

Summer 2024: With Demange exiting as director, Marvel brings in studio mainstay Eric Pearson, who has pushed scripts for Thor: Ragnarok, Black Widow and Fantastic Four over the finish line.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ot-1235926545/
IBJoel (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,641 Likes on 4,536 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
This movie is never going to see the light of day....
That feels appropriate for a vampire film.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
Dan1boy (06-24-24), IBJoel (06-24-24), MLBFan24 (06-24-24), ntnon (06-27-24)
Old 06-24-24, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It does sound like the pandemic and strike really threw things into a tizzy. I actually like the 1920s idea, which also gives them an explanation on why we haven't seen him yet in the MCU.

Here's hoping it comes together!
ntnon (06-27-24)
Old 06-24-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think any serious Blade fan from the comics wants a period piece set over 100 years ago. I know I certainly don't. But comic book fans aren't driving the MCU's ship anymore.
ntnon (06-27-24)