Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

Old 04-13-23, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,275 Likes on 982 Posts
Re: Marvel's Blade (2024, D: Demange) - S: Mahershala Ali

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I hope Mia Goth is playing Mephisto.
Wasn't there a rumor that Sacha Baron Cohen was playing Mephisto?
Old 04-14-23, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I hope this means we'll see Dracula in the MCU. We've already gotten Werewolf by Night and Man-Thing, bring on more monsters! Frankenstein would be unlikely but great too. It would be cool seeing Marvel eat Universal's lunch with their own monster subuniverse within the MCU.

Old 04-28-23, 04:42 PM

Received 4,800 Likes on 3,247 Posts

Nic Pizzolatto has gone Marvel.

The creator of acclaimed crime anthology, True Detective, is working on Blade, Marvel Studios’ vampire thriller starring Mahershala Ali.

The development marks a True Detective reunion as Ali starred in season three of Pizzolatto’s HBO show.

Blade is batting its wings towards a late May start of production in Atlanta with Yann Demange, who helmed the pilot of HBO’s boundary-pushing horror series Lovecraft Country, in the director’s chair.

The feature is casting up and most recently added rising scream queen Mia Goth to the call sheet. Delroy Lindo is also on the roster.

Blade currently has a script by Michael Starrbury, who earned an Emmy nomination for penning an episode of Ava DuVernay’s drama, When They See Us. Sources say Pizzolatto is working off Starrbury’s draft and has been keyboarding for a few weeks now.

Blade was created by writer Marv Wolfman and artist Gene Colan for 1973’s The Tomb of Dracula No. 10. He is a half-mortal, half-immortal who hunts vampires in order to avenge his mother, who was killed by a vampire as she gave birth to him. He previously got the big-screen treatment with a trio of horror action thrillers from New Line in the early 2000s that starred Wesley Snipes.

Marvel has set a release date of Sept. 6, 2024 for Blade.

Pizzolatto was a novelist and short story writer before transitioning to screenwriting and became a known name thanks to True Detective, the acclaimed crime series that airs on HBO. The first season starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, and became a water cooler show that had audiences at the edge of their seats thanks to a dark and mysterious tone, deep character work, and strong acting. Ali lead the third season that was set in the Ozarks and earned an Emmy nomination for his performance.

Pizzolatto is also working on a new version of classic Western The Magnificent Seven. It’s a series take on the concept which the writer explored when he co-wrote an all-star movie remake in 2016 that starred Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke.

The writer is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...or-1235405915/
Old 04-28-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

Wow, so this is like the 3rd re-write of the script. Since Pizzolatto is already working off a draft, he will probably get a co-writer credit. They have lots of time though, so hopefully his version of the script will polish things up.

Old 04-30-23, 09:47 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Unfortunately this is gonna be so bad. Seems like this was announced before even Endgame came out. When has a clusterfuck production that has taken this long ever turned out more than just merely decent?
Old 04-30-23, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 584 Posts

^ Since announcement, Marvel is making it such a connective universe, the Phases have changed. Though I feel this should be along the lines of Werewolf By Night. Like Marvel's own Elseworlds that they could connect at some point down the line, instead of trying to force it into the MCU.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (06-14-24)
Old 05-05-23, 05:45 PM

Received 4,800 Likes on 3,247 Posts

The writers strike has taken a bite out of Blade.

Marvel Studios is shutting down pre-production on its vampire thriller starring Mahershala Ali, which was set to begin filming next month in Atlanta. The feature project, which has already been paused once before, becomes the first tentpole movie impacted by the strike.

Cast and crew members are being notified this afternoon.

Blade had recently hired True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto to work on the script, but, according to an insider, “time simply ran out.” The studio will restart the production once the strike is over.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ke-1235480828/
Old 05-06-23, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I had a feeling this was bound to get delayed, especially when Nic Pizzolatto was hired to do re-writes right before the strike. If only they had a completed script.
Old 05-06-23, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,163 Posts

At the pace this thing is moving along, production will be shut down for the NEXT writers strike as well.
Old 05-06-23, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,946 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Since this is such a troubled production -- and it's now being delayed by the writers stirke -- I wonder if they won't end up just scuttling Blade entirely.

Seems like there are few lambs that get sacrificed during these strikes, and this could be one of them.
Old 05-06-23, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 637 Likes on 388 Posts

At this rate The Abyss and True Lies will be out on BD before the new Blade.
Old 05-07-23, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

Perhaps the strike comes as a blessing. Pizzolatto won't be writing anything (officially), but he won't turn off his head either. So he has a lot of time to think about the script and how to make it work, because the release date probably will be pushed further down the road.
Old 05-28-24, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Marvel's Blade (2025, D: ?) - S: Mahershala Ali

There are rumors online (none official) that they are going through another set of re-writes. They apparently hired the writer of Logan, Michael Green, and he apparently bailed.

Nic Pizzolatto also reportedly bailed as well as he was reported to be the last writer hired before the strike happened last year. Not going to post any links as they aren't official.

Old 05-28-24, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

My complete speculation is that there's serious chaffing between Marvel wanting this to be a huge effects extravanganza that ties into/sets up other stuff and writers making something smaller scale, inline with what you would expect from a vampire movie.
Old 05-28-24, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

The real problem from what I understand is this quickly went beyond being a mere Blade solo flick into a morass of conflicting ideas. One of the scripts barely even had Blade in it and he was a role player in his own movie. No one at Marvel really knows what to do with the character since I don't think they want to rehash the relatively popular Wesley Snipes version.
Old 05-28-24, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The real problem from what I understand is this quickly went beyond being a mere Blade solo flick into a morass of conflicting ideas. One of the scripts barely even had Blade in it and he was a role player in his own movie. No one at Marvel really knows what to do with the character since I don't think they want to rehash the relatively popular Wesley Snipes version.
Yeah, it became Blade Trinity all over again.
Old 05-28-24, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, it became Blade Trinity all over again.
Somewhat off topic, it would be awesome if Ryan Reynolds somehow got Wesley Sniper to cameo as Blade in Deadpool & Wolverine, despite claims that the latter hated the former while working on Blade Trinity.
Abob Teff (06-14-24)
Old 05-29-24, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I love the Blade films but I have a soft spot for Trinity. Reynolds is hilarious and Biel is great. And it's highly amusing to me knowing how much Snipes hated working on it.

This new version is just a gigantic mess. As much of a Marvel fan as I am, they certainly didn't need to do anything with Blade. And it's always felt off to me that he's a Marvel character - the whole vampire thing (Morbius aside) is so weird to have to incorporate into the MCU.
Old 05-29-24, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

What is so difficult about just making a movie where Blade fights normal-ass vampires? This should only cost like $50-75M.
Whistler: "Hey Blade, we found a nasty cult/mafia/militia of vampires that want to farm humans/establish a vampire city/start a war on humans"
Blade: "Thanks Whistler, I'm going to kill the shit out of a bunch of them"

Then Blade John-Wicks his way through dudes for another hour-forty five. No twists, no world-threatening menace. Just make a well-crafted film with cool choreo. OK, the vampires abduct like Blade's daughter for some personal stakes. Done.
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), lisadoris (05-30-24), RocShemp (05-29-24)
Old 05-29-24, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
What is so difficult about just making a movie where Blade fights normal-ass vampires? This should only cost like $50-75M.
Whistler: "Hey Blade, we found a nasty cult/mafia/militia of vampires that want to farm humans/establish a vampire city/start a war on humans"
Blade: "Thanks Whistler, I'm going to kill the shit out of a bunch of them"

Then Blade John-Wicks his way through dudes for another hour-forty five. No twists, no world-threatening menace. Just make a well-crafted film with cool choreo. OK, the vampires abduct like Blade's daughter for some personal stakes. Done.
You'd think that they could go the supernatural route after Werewolf by Night and introduce Blade as well as Ghost Rider into that world with Man-Thing and start a Midnight Sons or Spirits of Vengeance arc.
Old 05-29-24, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I love the Blade films but I have a soft spot for Trinity. Reynolds is hilarious and Biel is great. And it's highly amusing to me knowing how much Snipes hated working on it.
I'd be pissed as well if I was being essentially usurped from my own franchise that I nurtured and cultivated for years and years. Snipes really did get screwed over by Goyer and the studio.
Old 05-29-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
You'd think that they could go the supernatural route after Werewolf by Night and introduce Blade as well as Ghost Rider into that world with Man-Thing and start a Midnight Sons or Spirits of Vengeance arc.
And introduce Dracula into the MCU already, dammit. Blade would be the best place to do that.
Old 05-29-24, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,946 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Yeah, they really should develop an MCU horror-themed sub-universe. The comics already gave them the bones to pull that off with the old 1990s "Midnight Suns" imprint... Ghost Rider, Morbius, Nightstalkers/Blade, Darkhold, and Doctor Strange. And then they also have properties like Son of Satan, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Man Thing, Nightmare, Mephisto...

But it seems like Marvel Studios is having a difficult time developing anything post-Thanos, and they're just churning out a stream of unwatchable shit. It's like Kevin Feige has turned into Ed Wood, just rubber-stamping any project that sounds good enough.
Old 05-29-24, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

You have to remember Marvel wants another Black Panther-size hit on their hands with this Blade, another obscure Black superhero from the 1970s in their eyes. They don't want a modest film which would mostly be a Blade solo adventure and maybe do $100-150 million.

Add on top the idea you could backdoor introduce a whole Marvel horror-themed filmverse, you can see how they don't know what they want.
Old 05-29-24, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be cool (not crossing my fingers at this point) if Marvel could manage to do an MCU monsterverse before Universal was ever able to get their shit together on theirs.
Abob Teff (06-14-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.