Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022, D: Waititi) - News, Cast, Rumors

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-16-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Taika Waititi to Direct 'Thor 4' (Exclusive)
JULY 16, 2019 10:37AM by Borys Kit
Meanwhile, development concerns force Warners to push back 'Akira.'

Taika Waititi is returning to the many worlds of Thor.

Waititi has inked a deal to write and direct a follow-up to his 2017 smash, Thor: Ragnarok.

But his boarding of what would be a fourth installment of the Marvel franchise comes at a cost: Warner Bros.' long-gestating adaptation of Japanese manga, Akira.

That project, which was penciled for a May 21, 2021 release and had Waititi testing actors in a worldwide search for talent, is being put on pause indefinitely as the two projects' production dates began to bump up against one another. Script development concerns caused Akira to push back its shooting start and while some of those have been addressed, say sources, the dates were now too close for comfort.

It is unclear what is Warners' next step for Akira but the project now seems to be in flux. Several sources have said that Warners is keen on keeping Waititi involved for the long-term and hopes to see him pick up Akira after Thor 4.

Waititi brought his own stamp to the Thor movies with Ragnarok, infusing the movies with an idiosyncratic wit and a humane outlook with movies such as What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Audiences responded to the tune of almost $854 million worldwide while critics’ raves put the movie at 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The move also rejuvenated what had been a rare declining franchise performer for Marvel.

Chris Hemsworth is expected to reprise his career-defining role as the Asgardian god of thunder.

Next up for Waititi is Jojo Rabbit, a unique Holocaust drama he directed for Fox Searchlight, which opens Oct. 18. Scarlett Johansson stars in the picture with Waititi portraying a twisty take on Adolph Hitler.

He is repped by CAA and Manage-ment.
Old 07-16-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
re: Thor: Love and Thunder (2022, D: Waititi) - News, Cast, Rumors

I’m down

Ragnarok is so good
Old 07-16-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Hemsworth has really come more into his own with his performance as Thor the last few films. Glad to see him coming back to the role for a bit longer. Presumably he’ll also be in Guardians 3.
Old 07-16-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Hmmmm, start pre-production on getting those tax credits that were set to expire (or was it rights issues?) and then delay Akira? Yup, sounds like Hollywood's crazy accounting system at work.
Old 07-16-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Very much enjoyed Ragnarok. Happy to see more Thor.
Old 07-16-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I guess I'm the only one that was unhappy with Ragnarok. So we'll never see a movie where the character of Thor is is taken seriously again?
Old 07-16-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Oooh, Thor in 4D!

Old 07-16-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought Thor as a franchise was finished and he was going to continue as a member of Guardians of the Galaxy.
The first Thor was great, probably my favorite Marvel film.
2nd was awful.
Third one was completely different with a whole new tone, and it worked beautifully. But I'm honestly tired of the Asgardian stuff now. I'm really tired of Loki, despite how well Hiddleston plays him.
GotG 3 featuring Thor is the movie I want to see.
Old 07-16-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I guess I'm the only one that was unhappy with Ragnarok. So we'll never see a movie where the character of Thor is is taken seriously again?
I also felt Ragnarok was a silly mess. Between Ragnarok and fat Thor, it is hard to take the character serious.
Old 07-16-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I also felt Ragnarok was a silly mess. Between Ragnarok and fat Thor, it is hard to take the character serious.
I'd like a serious Thor too. But I don't think they have it in them to make another one. Ragnarok, which is like the Judgment Day in Norse mythology right? It was played for laughs for the most part, so it would be hard to go back to making that whole mythological aspect serious again.
Old 07-16-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'd like a serious Thor too. But I don't think they have it in them to make another one. Ragnarok, which is like the Judgment Day in Norse mythology right? It was played for laughs for the most part, so it would be hard to go back to making that whole mythological aspect serious again.
They also did the character no favors by letting every other hero in the MCU be worthy of wielding his hammer! In the 80's, it was a jaw dropping moment in the comics when Beta Rat Bill picked up the hammer. Now it is just ho-hum. I also felt like the movies never ​​​made Asgard something truly remarkable.
Old 07-16-19, 05:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

so glad Waititi is back. probably the most fun movie in MCU was Thor: Ragnarok. awesome news imo!
Old 07-16-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Tho4
Old 07-16-19, 07:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

yes! my all time favorite Marvel movie... bring it!
Old 07-16-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I also want to see Beta Rat Bill. If they want to tag Beta Ray Bill along as well then that would be cool.
Old 07-16-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Do we know if Chris Hemsworth is going to be in this? It could be female Thor.
Old 07-16-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Do we know if Chris Hemsworth is going to be in this? It could be female Thor.
He's expected to return
Old 07-16-19, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Hmmmm, start pre-production on getting those tax credits that were set to expire (or was it rights issues?) and then delay Akira? Yup, sounds like Hollywood's crazy accounting system at work.
I fully believe any kind of live action Akira will just end up as another Ghost in the Shell, no matter who’s directing it. I’d much rather have another Thor at this point.
Old 07-16-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
They also did the character no favors by letting every other hero in the MCU be worthy of wielding his hammer! In the 80's, it was a jaw dropping moment in the comics when Beta Rat Bill picked up the hammer. Now it is just ho-hum. I also felt like the movies never ​​​made Asgard something truly remarkable.
Same here about the hammer. Vision, Captain America, and Hela. If they introduce Beta Ray Bill it's not even going to be a big deal. Shoot, it wasn't a big deal when Cap lifted it because we just the robot do it first.
Asgard looked cool in the first Thor movie. By the time of the 2nd one it looked like some generic Shakespeare play background. Do you happen to know of any iconic Thor storylines they could use for the next one? I wasn't a fan as a kid so I'm not that familiar with the character.
Old 07-17-19, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Vision picked up the hammer because he was basically a newborn with a pure soul (and it immediately made him trustworthy to the group). Hela did it because she was more powerful than the hammer. Cap couldn’t lift it at first despite a lifetime of heroism and sacrifice, and only when all hope seemed lost was he able to pick it up, which is a fantastic ending to his arc. I think they treated those moments just fine.

Stoked to have Waititi back. I have enjoyed all the Thor movies (even the 2nd one) but Ragnarok is my fave. The tone is fantastic and I can’t wait to see more!
Old 07-17-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I thought Cap wielding Thor’s hammer was THE badass moment in Endgame.

IMO, if they did a disservice to Thor regarding his hammer, it was a few moments later when he casually tosses Mjolnir to Cap so he can use Stormbreaker in a strange “you take the small weapon” kind of way.

To he honest, I barely remember Vision picking it up.

Old 07-17-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, we've had TWO serious Thor movies. People didn't necessarily care for their tone. They made money, but Dark World and even the first Thor film rank at the bottom, while Ragnarok is in the Top-10 of the MCU. Serious Thor wasn't cutting it, so they spun it 180-egrees and folks loved it.
Old 07-17-19, 10:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If people didn’t care for the tone, they wouldn’t have been successes. WE didn’t care for the tone. I liked both of them just fine.
Old 07-17-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like them more than Ragnarok.
Old 07-17-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought Thor as a franchise.
Me too, I thought I read CH was done with the character.
I'm honestly tired of the Asgardian stuff now. I'm really tired of Loki, despite how well Hiddleston plays him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.