Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Disney entity the biggest in movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Is the Disney entity the biggest in movies?
Yes
78.95%
No
0%
other (please specify...)
0%
What are you high?
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 03:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I mean they own virtually everything in movies now, Marvel, which i believed acquired Sony properties, Pixar, Walt Disney Pictures, SW, etc. Borderline monopoly. Is there any other studio that could ever compete again?
Old 07-12-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Is the Disney entity the biggest in movies?

I think Lucas selling all rights for Star Wars to Disney was a mistake and gave too much control of the industry to one company. That decision continues to have repercussions throughout the economy and Hollywood which necessarily aren't good.
Old 07-12-19, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

And it’s interesting, because in Walt’s day they were tiny. They weren’t even big enough to be called a “mini-major” back in the day. All the titans have died and the little animation studio runs entertainment. It’s weird.
Old 07-12-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Unfortunately yes

Universal is still pretty big and Lionsgate distributes or makes every movie I rent from Netflix.

Warner Bros seems like has fallen recently or cut down down their movie production or just make a few blockbusters a year.

They don't make a lot of movies as they did in the past.
Old 07-12-19, 06:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

those others seem to have tentpole franchises that they bank on. Fast & Furious, MI, others. Disney is in everything from drama to sci-fi to animated off the charts to superheros. it is cornering the market...
Old 07-12-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

What dramas are Disney releasing? Their entire output consists of pre-existing IP tentpoles, and an original animated movie here and there. Now that they've swallowed up Fox hopefully there'll be a little diversity coming from that corner of the empire, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-12-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Yes, especially this summer, but I don't think it's a bad thing as they generally put out a quality product. Look at Endgame and look at Dark Phoenix. It's not like it's not allowing other studios to make movies.
Old 07-12-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Unfortunately yes, they are too big at this point and I do everything I can to give them as little money as possible.
Old 07-12-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Unfortunately yes, they are too big at this point and I do everything I can to give them as little money as possible.
I don't really get this position. It's an entertainment company. So you either like what they produce or you don't. What's the reason to boycott them? It's not like its out of principle because they are doing something shady. Why deny watching something you enjoy just to stick it to the mouse. Not like it's going to make a difference.
Old 07-12-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

They're white knight soyboy SJWs who are trying to replace us by casting minorities in iconic roles like the talking cat in that one movie and the wisecracking magic robot in another! Not to mention women.
Old 07-12-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't think this is debatable. They generally put out quality big budget entertainment so I can't complain about it much, they get my money when it appeals to me.
Old 07-13-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Hasn't Disney for many past generations put smiles on children and adults faces with their great collection of animated films? They deserve to win.
Old 07-13-19, 02:08 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

We need a poll for a fact?
Old 07-13-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Lucas selling all rights for Star Wars to Disney was a mistake and gave too much control of the industry to one company. That decision continues to have repercussions throughout the economy and Hollywood which necessarily aren't good.
I was stunned that Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney for a little over four billion dollars. While that's an enormous amount, I would thought the Franchise would be worth more than that.
Old 07-13-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes, they are definetely the largest by far. I don't think they or any other studio could become a complete monopoly in the movie industry. I don't think it is the same as in other industires. While they produce many of the box office hits, even a small studio can pull off a hit on a low budget like The Blair Witch Project or turn some no name book into a franchise. We've learned from the Solo movie that you can't just slap the name "Disney" or "Star Wars" on it and expect it to be good or successful. You actualy still have to create a quality product or consumers will go elsewhere.
Old 07-13-19, 10:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
They're white knight soyboy SJWs who are trying to replace us by casting minorities in iconic roles like the talking cat in that one movie and the wisecracking magic robot in another! Not to mention women.
A+
Old 07-13-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I was stunned that Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney for a little over four billion dollars. While that's an enormous amount, I would thought the Franchise would be worth more than that.
Agreed. I think George Lucas could've asked for at least twice that amount and they still would've bought it.

But I think Disney is oversaturating the market with Star Wars now and diminishing the specialness of the brand. With the under-performiance of Solo at the box office and the surprisingly low crowds at Disneyland's Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, it seems that now there isn't a strong demand for more Star Wars. As a franchise, Star Wars is rather limited in scope by being only about a space war - unlike say Star Trek in which a story could be about anything and not just an ongoing war - and that limitation means it's difficult to make new Star Wars entries compelling year after year.
Old 07-13-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
... the surprisingly low crowds at Disneyland's Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, it seems that now there isn't a strong demand for more Star Wars.
It's been reported that people are waiting for the Rise of the Resistance ride to open before spending the money for a visit.
Old 07-13-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Unfortunately yes

Universal is still pretty big and Lionsgate distributes or makes every movie I rent from Netflix.

Warner Bros seems like has fallen recently or cut down down their movie production or just make a few blockbusters a year.

They don't make a lot of movies as they did in the past.
WB took a big hit when some of their big franchises ended like Harry Potter and LOTR (and now GOT). DC has helped, but they’re not Marvel.
Old 07-14-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was. Disney got an incredible bargain. With Marvel too.
Old 07-14-19, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DIsney the only studio that sells movies on Blu-ray that came out in 2012 for $19.99
Old 07-14-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
DIsney the only studio that sells movies on Blu-ray that came out in 2012 for $19.99
Smart, the other studios racing to the bottom have killed the value of the medium.
Old 07-14-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DIsney owns ABC a crappy TV network I never watch so that is one way I boycott Disney.
Old 07-14-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Disney will be successful this summer. Yeah... SFW.

No they are not the beginning and end. Other studios put our shit this summer and Disney stepped up and put out the cookie cutter stuff everyone wanted to see. Endgame duh Aladdin duh, Lion King come on!!

Sony has Spider-Man but part of MCU and not a Disney film. That will make a billion. Hobbs N Shaw should make 700 + easy. John Wick one of the best success stories on how to build a franchise and it will not make the same amount. It didn't cost the same either. Disney spends billions other studios don't have to spend that much to be successful.
Old 07-15-19, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It was below market value considering the toy business alone.

It has been said that Lucas thought Disney would be the best at keeping Star Wars alive beyond the movies. Things like the theme parks and such were on his mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.