DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Favorite Spider-Man movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/648079-favorite-spider-man-movie.html)

OldBoy 07-07-19 06:33 PM

Favorite Spider-Man movie?

there have been a few incarnations over the past 20 years, few different actors, one great Oscar winning animated.

so which is your favorite Spider-Man film?

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. for me hands down. the exhilaration, the humor, the internal conflict, never more so on display than the exquisite Spider-Verse animated film. perfectly animated, perfectly voice cast. everything about it had me smiling ear to ear throughout. even downloading the soundtrack immediately after.

i was never the biggest Spider-Man fan as a character. really didn't think about him all that much, until Maguire's portrayal in Sam Raimi's very fun original in 2002. since then, have liked the character and most of his incarnations/films, but nothing takes the cake like Spider-Verse. a near perfect film for me.

and i didn't include the 70's made-for-television films, but feel free if those float your boat...

movieguru 07-07-19 07:14 PM

Re: Favorite Spider-Man movie?

I'm sure SM2 (2004) will be the winner on this, but I choose the one that started it all.

mwbmis 07-07-19 07:37 PM

Even in this "golden age" of superhero films, Spider-Man 2 remains my favorite one released in this century (number 2 overall).

OldBoy 07-07-19 08:18 PM

Wow. It was a great film, but I think dated to me now. I think the films since SM2, most, at least have built and taking further. Nevermoreso than in Spider-Verse.

The Antipodean 07-07-19 08:44 PM

Still Spider-Man 2. The MCU Spider-Man movies have been very entertaining, and I quite like them, but for me they get a little too far away from the basics of the character - a smokin' hot Aunt May, Tony Stark as Uncle Ben, too much reliance on sci-fi technology. The Raimi trilogy (even SM3, which I stick up for) keeps the idea that Peter Parker is a loser who wins sometimes, who's always broke, who tragedy keeps coming back to, et cetera. I won't even talk about the Garfield movies as I've forgotten them already.

nando820 07-08-19 12:16 PM

Is a bit of a tie between Spider-Man 2 and Into The-Spider verse

Giantrobo 07-08-19 12:34 PM

So far. Spider-Man 2. :up: Really loved that one.

Noonan 07-08-19 12:47 PM

Haven't seen FFM. Spider-Verse is better than all the live acted movies otherwise, IMO.

Unclejosh 07-08-19 07:10 PM

As a whole Spider-Man 2 overall is my favorite, however Tom Holland is my favorite PP/Spidey, Emma Stone is my favorite female lead, and the scene with Michael Keaton and Tom Holland in the car is the most tension filled well acted scene in all the films in my opinion.

B5Erik 07-08-19 10:45 PM

I was actually REALLY disappointed with Into The SpiderVerse. They got Peter 100% wrong. I don't know who that character was, but, personality-wise that was NOT Peter.

And I thought that Miles came across as pretty dull and uninteresting.

It was a clever take on the concept, but I just didn't like the character portrayals.

I'd give it a C+.

Mike86 07-08-19 11:05 PM

I’ll preface this by saying I don’t think they’re bad movies, but I don’t feel like the Raimi films have aged very well. I also really was never a big fan of Maguire as Peter/Spidey. Elements of the films are very good and for nostalgia they’re fun to go back to on occasion, but they’ve been bested in my opinion.

I really like Spider-Man: Homecoming. It’s relatively new but it feels so much more like Spider-Man to me than any of the previous films. Despite some things being changed to certain characters it very much captures the high school feel that the other films never did to me. Holland is easily the best Peter/Spider-Man to date and Keaton as Vulture is one of the best MCU villains, especially from a solo film.

Into the Spider-Verse is very good but I don’t categorize it alongside live action films personally. I also haven’t had a lot of desire to rewatch it or even buy it yet.

Sonic 07-08-19 11:06 PM

Spider-Man 2 (2004) :thumbsup:

The train scene chokes me up everytime when Parker (Toby) risks it all and is unmasked. The people are shocked that he is so young and assure him that he will be okay and they won't tell. Best scene I ever seen in all of the Marvel movies out there.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a0e80521e4.gif

nando820 07-09-19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 13575556)
As a whole Spider-Man 2 overall is my favorite, however Tom Holland is my favorite PP/Spidey, Emma Stone is my favorite female lead, and the scene with Michael Keaton and Tom Holland in the car is the most tension filled well acted scene in all the films in my opinion.

All correct. You get an A+

movieguru 07-09-19 10:44 AM

I consider into the Spider-Verse a completely different thing when comparing the movies. I don't think animated and live action movies should be compared to each other as part of a franchise for the same character.

As for the live action movies, I think the Tobey Maguire got the Peter Parker character the closest, while the Andrew Garfield movies did better capturing the aspects of Spider-Man. The MCU movies while decent and very fun to watch are very superficial with how they portray Peter Parker/Spider-Man and don't get indepth into the intricacies of who the character is. As far as the supporting characters go, none of them really get the romantic interests right. The best portrayed supporting cast would be JJJ followed by Aunt May and Harry Osborne of the Raimi movies.

Mike86 07-09-19 12:37 PM

Maguire got the awkward/nerdy Peter down, but almost to the extent that it was too much at times. He was always far too old for the part. I would say his Spider-Man was alright enough, though he lacked the smartass/quippy element of the character.

Hokeyboy 07-10-19 11:25 AM

1. Spider-Man 2
  2. Spider-Man: Into The Spidey-Verse
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  4. Spider-Man
  5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  6. The Amazing Spider-Man
  7. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  8. Spider-Man 3

OldBoy 07-10-19 06:14 PM

i don't know why anyone wouldn't consider Spider-Verse in the same comparisons as the live action films. it is an origin story of another that is a Spider-Man. tells exact same story as all the others and just because it's animated, don't see why not compare to all others...

OldBoy 07-10-19 09:58 PM

And I can’t get enough of that Spider-Verse soundtrack, especially the Post Malone song, Sunflower. I have soundtrack on continual loop in car...

Michael Corvin 07-10-19 10:28 PM

Top tier:
1. Spider-man 2
2. Into the Spider-verse

Second tier
3. Spider-man
4. Spider-man 3
5. Homecoming

Unwatched:
Garfield flicks

Mondo Kane 07-10-19 10:38 PM

Homecoming
Spider-Man
Far From Home
Spider-verse
Spider-Man 2
Amazing 1
Spider-Man 3
Amazing 2

Sorry, just never was a fan of SM2.

movieguru 07-10-19 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13576574)
i don't know why anyone wouldn't consider Spider-Verse in the same comparisons as the live action films. it is an origin story of another that is a Spider-Man. tells exact same story as all the others and just because it's animated, don't see why not compare to all others...

To me it is like taking out seven different professional photograps and one painting on canvas and asking which is the best artwork out of the eight. Or having seven different varieties of apples and one variety of an orange and asking which fruit is the best.

Sonic 07-10-19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13576682)
To me it is like taking out seven different professional photograps and one painting on canvas and asking which is the best artwork out of the eight. Or having seven different varieties of apples and one variety of an orange and asking which fruit is the best.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

This is a lop sided poll. :p But fuck it ya'll having fun with it so why not?

I'm sure there are religious people out there that probably found Prince of Egypt (animated) better than the ten commandments with Heston. :p

tanman 07-11-19 01:43 AM

So for me Into the Spider-Verse was number one. It was just an amazing movie that subverted all my expectations. When I first saw the trailer a year before it released I thought it was basically a direct to video movie that Sony was trying to cash in on the recent resurgence of the character. Boy was I delightfully wrong.

As far as the others while I absolutely loved Tobey Maguire as PP and SM and I still love those movies I too think that they haven't aged as well. He captured the angst of being PP very well and the difficulty that he has to face so he was perfect in his movie. But Tom Holland basically IS PP/SM and it's mesmerizing watching him have so much fun on screen. He really brings the joy of what it's like to be Spider-Man.

So my ranking would probably be:
1. Into the Spider-verse
2. Homecoming
3. Far From Home
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Spider-Man
6. Spider-Man 3

And we're just not going to talk about the Garfield Spider-Man movies. I don't know how you can screw up Spider-Man so badly but they do. I feel bad for Garfield because he seems like a nice guy that really wanted the part but the movies were just unwatchable. Especially the second one. I don't know how you can have Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy and do that story and have zero emotional resonance with the audience but here we are...

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13575150)
Wow. It was a great film, but I think dated to me now. I think the films since SM2, most, at least have built and taking further. Nevermoreso than in Spider-Verse.

I haven't rewatched the Raimi Spider-Men in a long time but yeah I think a lot of it would be dated now. Most of which is the power rangers like costume for the Green Goblin.

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 13575556)

Pretty much agree. Emma Stone was just a rose amongst thorns in those movies. Can't believe Garfield got to hit that.

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13575622)
I’ll preface this by saying I don’t think they’re bad movies, but I don’t feel like the Raimi films have aged very well. I also really was never a big fan of Maguire as Peter/Spidey. Elements of the films are very good and for nostalgia they’re fun to go back to on occasion, but they’ve been bested in my opinion.

I really like Spider-Man: Homecoming. It’s relatively new but it feels so much more like Spider-Man to me than any of the previous films. Despite some things being changed to certain characters it very much captures the high school feel that the other films never did to me. Holland is easily the best Peter/Spider-Man to date and Keaton as Vulture is one of the best MCU villains, especially from a solo film.

Into the Spider-Verse is very good but I don’t categorize it alongside live action films personally. I also haven’t had a lot of desire to rewatch it or even buy it yet.

I really wish the Garfield Spider-Man movies just didn't exist. Because I still would like to see the origin of Spider-Man with the MCU version but understand why they cut it out because it would have been so redundant. Of course if the Garfield movies didn't exist then neither would the deal to have Spider-Man in the MCU. I was really hesitant to learn that they were going even younger with MCU Spider-Man but boy was I wrong. That's what makes them so great is capturing that high school feeling.

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13575623)
Spider-Man 2 (2004) :thumbsup:

The train scene chokes me up everytime when Parker (Toby) risks it all and is unmasked. The people are shocked that he is so young and assure him that he will be okay and they won't tell. Best scene I ever seen in all of the Marvel movies out there.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a0e80521e4.gif

That's true that scene was a really emotionally grounded scene. One of the best amongst all the Spider-Man movies.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13576574)

I agree and it's your poll anyways so there. :)

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13576657)
And I can’t get enough of that Spider-Verse soundtrack, especially the Post Malone song, Sunflower. I have soundtrack on continual loop in car...

Me too. It's just so awesome.

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13576691)
Agreed. :thumbsup:

This is a lop sided poll. :p But fuck it ya'll having fun with it so why not?

I'm sure there are religious people out there that probably found Prince of Egypt (animated) better than the ten commandments with Heston. :p

Why would you need to be religious to weigh in on that?

davidh777 07-11-19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13576682)

I think it’s also a factor that we’re talking about fantasy movies, and an animated movie can play by a completely different set of rules for making things happen on the screen.

Spiderverse was great, though, and it’d be a strong contender for me.

Years ago, I thought Spider-Man 2 was the greatest superhero movie ever, but I have serious doubts about how well it holds up, which I think is one reason I haven’t seen it in years.

Sonic 07-11-19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13576715)
Why would you need to be religious to weigh in on that?

I imagine that most watchers of Prince of Egypt and Ten Commandments are tied to some type of religion. But I could be wrong as I'm just assuming. I don't think kids out there that don't go to church would not request mom and dad to put in the disc/stream of those movies. Instead they will request Finding Little Nemo or some other type of cartoon.

Jason 07-11-19 07:44 PM

I picked Homecoming, although I hope Far From Home supplants it.

I saw Into the Spider-verse and while I enjoyed it, it didn't leave me wanting more. Beats the shit out of the Lego Batman movie, that's for sure.

B5Erik 07-12-19 01:46 AM

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man Far From Home
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Spider-Man 3
6. Amazing Spider-Man 2
7. Amazing Spider-Man
8. Into The Spider-Verse

tanman 07-12-19 03:21 AM

What are you serious? You liked the unwatchable crappy Garfield Spider-Man movies more than Into the Spider-Verse?

B5Erik 07-12-19 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13577212)
What are you serious? You liked the unwatchable crappy Garfield Spider-Man movies more than Into the Spider-Verse?

I am serious.

I liked the concept of Spider-Verse (it is a clever story), but the portrayals of the two main characters was less than great. As I noted before, that WASN'T Peter. It didn't look like Peter, didn't sound like Peter, and didn't act like Peter. And Miles was just dull and uninteresting (and often bordering on unlikable). That killed the movie for me. It was OK, but I was really disappointed with it.

OldBoy 07-12-19 03:46 PM

I haven't rewatched the Raimi Spider-Men in a long time but yeah I think a lot of it would be dated now. Most of which is the power rangers like costume for the Green Goblin.

and Macy Gray in 1. where is she now?

OldBoy 07-12-19 03:48 PM

Me too. It's just so awesome.

i actually downloaded 2 of his albums. now a fan...

OldBoy 07-12-19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13577346)
I am serious.

I liked the concept of Spider-Verse (it is a clever story), but the portrayals of the two main characters was less than great. As I noted before, that WASN'T Peter. It didn't look like Peter, didn't sound like Peter, and didn't act like Peter. And Miles was just dull and uninteresting (and often bordering on unlikable). That killed the movie for me. It was OK, but I was really disappointed with it.

but, there were Peters in it :lol:

tanman 07-12-19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13577346)
I am serious.

You must have watched a totally different movie or didn't get that that was entirely the point. None of the Spider-People are supposed to be like your traditional PP except the very first one that was killed. The entire movie was about exploring different iterations of PP and Spider-Man. They were from different dimensions, were you expecting them all to act and look like PP? And there was a very fascinating reason and resulting character arc for the has been PP. Let me guess, you didn't like fat Thor because he didn't look like he was supposed to.

Alright, how can you possibly defend the Garfield Spider-Man movies?

B5Erik 07-13-19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13577611)
You must have watched a totally different movie or didn't get that that was entirely the point. None of the Spider-People are supposed to be like your traditional PP except the very first one that was killed. The entire movie was about exploring different iterations of PP and Spider-Man. They were from different dimensions, were you expecting them all to act and look like PP? And there was a very fascinating reason and resulting character arc for the has been PP.

The fat Peter is supposed to be the Peter from, "Our," universe. (Our Spidey doesn't get killed.)

And that guy doesn't look, sound, or act like Peter Parker. At all.

And you totally disregarded what I said about Miles Morales - he's dull and uninteresting. And sometimes a little annoying. That's all on the writers.

I didn't dislike Spider-Verse, I just didn't love it. It was OK.

Let me guess, you didn't like fat Thor because he didn't look like he was supposed to.
I didn't like Fat Thor because it would be WAY out of character (as written for the last 55+ years) to wallow in self-pity like that and let himself get fat. That's not who Thor is.

Alright, how can you possibly defend the Garfield Spider-Man movies?
I don't need to.

Having said that, I don't love them any more than I do Spider-Verse. But I do like them. Somewhat. I was fairly critical of ASM1 when it came out, and slightly less critical of ASM2, but still critical, when it came out. They both have good moments and bad moments. They were horribly inconsistent, and they made some changes from the source material that were not for the better.

The Spider-Man movie that I find the most perplexing is Spider-Man 3. It has some REALLY good stuff in there. But when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. For my money, there's more good than bad about Spider-Man 3, but it could have, and should have, been better. It was a significant step down from Spider-Man 2 (the best Spidey movie to date).

tanman 07-13-19 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13577676)
The fat Peter is supposed to be the Peter from, "Our," universe. (Our Spidey doesn't get killed.)

And that guy doesn't look, sound, or act like Peter Parker. At all.

Yeah and there's a major reason why. He's a failed PP/SM. He's bottom of the barrel and depressed because of his failure. If you don't think that's PP then you don't really know the character. The main thing that sets him apart from other any other comic book heroes is that he is relatable. He doesn't patrol Gotham, He doesn't come from Asgard, He isn't rich like Tony Stark; he's just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. So or course if he fails the love of his life he isn't going to be himself. Do you behave and look exactly the same all the time no matter what the situation or your age is? And that's the entire point of his character for the whole movie. He's given up until Miles has to force him to care. It's a very emotionally complex story. I'm sorry you didn't really get that.

And you totally disregarded what I said about Miles Morales - he's dull and uninteresting. And sometimes a little annoying. That's all on the writers.
I didn't dislike Spider-Verse, I just didn't love it. It was OK.

Ok lets talk about Miles. Right off the bat I don't like concentrating on race but representation really does matter. Here we have a kid who is halfsies trying to fit in a new school he doesn't feel like he belongs. It sets up some beautiful family drama between himself and his dad. And himself and his uncle. The subtlety and the fact that they spend a good amount of time in family drama that everyone goes through in their early teens really grounds what is otherwise a downright assault on your eyes and senses. I know it might not be the most unique story but it's a coming of age story. Miles has to find himself in all this. Responsibility is thrust on him and he fails. His Spidey mentor also fails him. But he doesn't give up. He almost does, he pushes through his own self doubt with a lot of difficulty but he ultimately prevails. I think that's what I like the most about this movie; despite all the flashy visuals, the catchy soundtrack and the ridiculous cast of characters this is ultimate a coming of age story.

I didn't like Fat Thor because it would be WAY out of character (as written for the last 55+ years) to wallow in self-pity like that and let himself get fat. That's not who Thor is.

Again like fat Spider-Man that's exactly the point. It subverts expectations but not just for laughs or just to do it but it's an example of how far he really has fallen. Out of all the avengers he's the one that has lost the most. He lost his mother, father, brother, friend, home, planet and the one thing he is good at (killing bad guys and saving the world) he failed to do because of hubris.

I don't need to.

Having said that, I don't love them any more than I do Spider-Verse. But I do like them. Somewhat. I was fairly critical of ASM1 when it came out, and slightly less critical of ASM2, but still critical, when it came out. They both have good moments and bad moments. They were horribly inconsistent, and they made some changes from the source material that were not for the better.

The Spider-Man movie that I find the most perplexing is Spider-Man 3. It has some REALLY good stuff in there. But when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. For my money, there's more good than bad about Spider-Man 3, but it could have, and should have, been better. It was a significant step down from Spider-Man 2 (the best Spidey movie to date).

The ASM movies are indefensible IMO. But the first one was better than the second one.

Michael Corvin 07-13-19 12:01 PM

I'm with you tanman about Miles. I'll even say he's far more of an interesting character than Holland's MCU Parker/Spidey.

rennervision 07-13-19 12:42 PM

Just curious - when people keep mentioning the Raimi films haven't aged well, what are they referring to exactly? Are we just talking about the Green Goblin mask and Macy Gray?

B5Erik 07-13-19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13577696)
Yeah and there's a major reason why. He's a failed PP/SM. He's bottom of the barrel and depressed because of his failure. If you don't think that's PP then you don't really know the character. The main thing that sets him apart from other any other comic book heroes is that he is relatable. He doesn't patrol Gotham, He doesn't come from Asgard, He isn't rich like Tony Stark; he's just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. So or course if he fails the love of his life he isn't going to be himself. Do you behave and look exactly the same all the time no matter what the situation or your age is? And that's the entire point of his character for the whole movie. He's given up until Miles has to force him to care. It's a very emotionally complex story. I'm sorry you didn't really get that.

I read Spider-Man comics up through the 90's. He was NEVER anything like the Peter of Spider-Verse, even after Gwen died. Not even close.

"An emotionally complex story." More like, "An emotionally manipulative story making manufactured out of character changes to a main character."

Sorry, I found that part of the story to be insulting to the version of Peter that I've been reading about for 45+ years. It's NOT the same character. Go back and re-read the ASM issues right after Gwen died. Peter didn't give up. Peter didn't wallow in self-pity. He tried to make up for his failure to save Gwen by saving others.

Ok lets talk about Miles. Right off the bat I don't like concentrating on race but representation really does matter. Here we have a kid who is halfsies trying to fit in a new school he doesn't feel like he belongs. It sets up some beautiful family drama between himself and his dad. And himself and his uncle. The subtlety and the fact that they spend a good amount of time in family drama that everyone goes through in their early teens really grounds what is otherwise a downright assault on your eyes and senses. I know it might not be the most unique story but it's a coming of age story. Miles has to find himself in all this. Responsibility is thrust on him and he fails. His Spidey mentor also fails him. But he doesn't give up. He almost does, he pushes through his own self doubt with a lot of difficulty but he ultimately prevails. I think that's what I like the most about this movie; despite all the flashy visuals, the catchy soundtrack and the ridiculous cast of characters this is ultimate a coming of age story.
"Representation really does matter." Yes and no. Representation is great and very important IF the character and his/her story is good. I found Miles and his story to be dull and uninteresting. I've seen that story before, only told better. I didn't like Miles. If I don't like the main character, and I find his story to be cookie cutter, what does that leave me as a viewer? Not much. An overall concept for the movie that was clever, but all the other details just didn't work for me. Sorry.

Why are you so offended that I find Spider-Verse to be WAY overrated?

Re: Fat Thor -
Again like fat Spider-Man that's exactly the point. It subverts expectations but not just for laughs or just to do it but it's an example of how far he really has fallen. Out of all the avengers he's the one that has lost the most. He lost his mother, father, brother, friend, home, planet and the one thing he is good at (killing bad guys and saving the world) he failed to do because of hubris.
You're buying in to what the writers and directors were selling. I didn't. I thought it was manufactured bullshit for shock value and cheap laughs. Thor - the REAL Thor from the comics - would NEVER react like that. He'd redouble his efforts to make up for his failures, not wallow in drunken self-pity.

The ASM movies are indefensible IMO. But the first one was better than the second one.
Like I said, there are good and bad things about both of them. Neither of them should have been made with the scripts they used. I put them on about the same level I put Spider-Verse. Disappointing.

B5Erik 07-13-19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision (Post 13577788)
Just curious - when people keep mentioning the Raimi films haven't aged well, what are they referring to exactly? Are we just talking about the Green Goblin mask and Macy Gray?

I don't get why some people say that. I just re-watched all three of the Raimi Spider-Man movies, and they all hold up really well (well, except for Emo Peter and some of the other failings of SM3, but that has nothing to do with aging poorly).

The first two Raimi movies are still the Gold Standard by which Spider-Man movies should be judged.

tanman 07-13-19 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13577803)
I read Spider-Man comics up through the 90's. He was NEVER anything like the Peter of Spider-Verse, even after Gwen died. Not even close.

"An emotionally complex story." More like, "An emotionally manipulative story making manufactured out of character changes to a main character."

Sorry, I found that part of the story to be insulting to the version of Peter that I've been reading about for 45+ years. It's NOT the same character. Go back and re-read the ASM issues right after Gwen died. Peter didn't give up. Peter didn't wallow in self-pity. He tried to make up for his failure to save Gwen by saving others.

So you can't see in the entire multi-verse a world where PP doesn't do that and instead gives up? It's not out of character. People don't always act the same every single time even when faced with the same situation. It's quite fascinating and compelling to explore and see how it would be different if these super heroes aren't quite super all the time. Otherwise it becomes the same story every time. Plus IMHO it's great to explore this idea in a cartoon.

"Representation really does matter." Yes and no. Representation is great and very important IF the character and his/her story is good. I found Miles and his story to be dull and uninteresting. I've seen that story before, only told better. I didn't like Miles. If I don't like the main character, and I find his story to be cookie cutter, what does that leave me as a viewer? Not much. An overall concept for the movie that was clever, but all the other details just didn't work for me. Sorry.

Why are you so offended that I find Spider-Verse to be WAY overrated?

Fair enough. I'm not offended, just curious what your reasoning is to why you didn't like as much. I've never talked to anyone that didn't have but the highest praise for this movie. I see that you're more a purist and that's fine.

You're buying in to what the writers and directors were selling. I didn't. I thought it was manufactured bullshit for shock value and cheap laughs. Thor - the REAL Thor from the comics - would NEVER react like that. He'd redouble his efforts to make up for his failures, not wallow in drunken self-pity.

Again I see now how you're a purist. It wasn't (just) for cheap laughs. It was an interesting take on him and a great character arc for Thor. He's the strongest avenger (despite what the quinnjet said) and he's lost the most. It's interesting to see him fall so far in the face of his failure. And what exactly would he do to make up for his failure? He already did it by chopping Thanos's head off. He "went for the head". But it was a hollow victory. There was nothing else to do. So faced with no purpose in life he chose to wallow. But that wasn't the end of his story. When faced with a new hope and determination he did step up and pulled himself out of that. If you look just a little bit deeper you'll see that it wasn't just for shock value or cheap laughs.

Like I said, there are good and bad things about both of them. Neither of them should have been made with the scripts they used. I put them on about the same level I put Spider-Verse. Disappointing.

I can't say a single good thing about ASM. It was poorly written, poorly acted. There was just no redeeming value of the ASM movies except that we got to have MCU Spidey because of them.