Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's 2019: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)
Yes, in full
73.95%
No, or only in part
26.05%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

It's 2019: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: It's 2019: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)?

I'm gonna keep out of all the drama, so I'll just say "yes" I saw it, several times. My dad is a movie nut, so I was exposed to all the classics at an early age, including this one. I still have a HD DVD of it kicking around too, from what I recall it looked pretty nice in hi-def.
Old 07-04-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
See this is an interesting line of thought.Is there a movie that we could expect 90% or higher have seen, on this forum? Oz might be it. Or a '90s era Disney classic like The Lion King or Aladdin.
Oz would make sense, it was (still is?) played every year, and kids look forward to watching it every year (at least I did). I can't imagine many kids getting excited about Casablanca
Old 07-04-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Or another way of looking at it...75% of respondents have seen the film. I’d like to see a poll of a film with higher numbers. Maybe Wizard of Oz? Jaws?
Star Wars
Old 07-04-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I know "Play it again, Sam" is associated with Casablanca, but only as being quote that isn't actually in the movie.

Stuff like "Looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship" and "Round up the usual suspects" is interesting to hear they originated with Casablanca, I would have assumed are just generic phrases.

When I watch it, there may be references I'll now get. My point was that the movie hadn't been "spoiled". While you posted half a dozen famous quotes, they have no context for me, I don't know what they mean in the movie. I remain blissfully in the dark about what happens in this movie, unlike other famous classic films.
Isn't "Im shocked, shocked, that there is gambling in this establishment" pretty famous too?

I'm actually shocked that you haven't seen the film, Crocker.
Old 07-04-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Was thinking about Casablanca at work tonight, and it occurred to me the movie hasn't seemed to have seeped into the pop culture the way other classic films have. Even as a kid, I knew the "secrets" of movies like Psycho and Citizen Kane long before I watched them. But Casablanca I barely know anything about. I don't know the plot, I don't know any of it's big scenes, I don't even know for sure if Peter Lorre is in it or not. I love watching movies fresh. I should check my library to see if they have a copy.
That's definitely different from when I was growing up in the 80s. I think it was probably in Looney Tunes cartoons that I saw all sorts of Casablanca references and spoofs growing up. I knew many of the plot elements and quotes before I ever saw the movie for the first time. I honestly can't think of a movie that seeped more into the public consciousness - seemed like everyone knew quotes from Casablanca and as someone pointed out, we still do use quotes today that originated or made famous from Casablanca. I guess it just goes to show that there really isn't anything that will survive the test of time - 75+ years is a long time for any piece of art to remain relevant and very few do except for a small subset of aficionados.

I'd also be kind of surprised if the same people who haven't seen Casablanca could really describe the big scenes from Citizen Kane all that well - knowing what Rosebud means doesn't count as its meaning is lost without context of knowing the film.
Old 07-04-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Isn't "Im shocked, shocked, that there is gambling in this establishment" pretty famous too?

I'm actually shocked that you haven't seen the film, Crocker.
I use that one all the time, though I know there are people who don’t get it.
Old 07-04-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

More shocked there are adults that haven't seen Ghostbusters!
Old 07-04-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Definitely time for a re-watch after reading this thread.
Old 07-04-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
That's definitely different from when I was growing up in the 80s. I think it was probably in Looney Tunes cartoons that I saw all sorts of Casablanca references and spoofs growing up. I knew many of the plot elements and quotes before I ever saw the movie for the first time. I honestly can't think of a movie that seeped more into the public consciousness - seemed like everyone knew quotes from Casablanca and as someone pointed out, we still do use quotes today that originated or made famous from Casablanca. I guess it just goes to show that there really isn't anything that will survive the test of time - 75+ years is a long time for any piece of art to remain relevant and very few do except for a small subset of aficionados.
I wanted to do some acting in High School, but only once got cast in a big role. I played the lead in my high school production of "Play It Again Sam", the Woody Allen part (back when that meant people saw you as just a neurotic Jew, not a child molester). Watched Casablanca on VHS a couple of times for that part. Needed to really get why Allan would be so obsessed with what Bogie would do. It was his epitome of "cool". I liked that idea -- picking the coolest fictional character you could think of and have him coach you through your dating life and brushing away your insecurities.
Old 07-05-19, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread was created because of an argument in the politics forum. For some strange reason a member here posted a very sophomoric YouTube film review pointing out that the character trajectories in Casablanca align with today’s antifa movement. I felt the reviewer was naive to the fact that everyone already knows this, that being a WWII film made during the war its anti-nazi sentiments couldn’t be more well known. The reviewer came off as very pious, like he was unveiling this amazing truth. And I was like, “Yawn. Old news.”

But you can’t question anything woke, so it turned into nonsense.

It devolved into some claiming Casablanca isn’t that well known or widely viewed.
Jeez, some folks need to leave the sauce alone.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I don't think that people spoke that way in 1942 either.
Since I wasn't kicking around in 1942, I can't be 100% certain.

For me, one form of pleasure in watching a movie is listening to the well-crafted, artificial dialog. Nobody speaks like a David Mamet character and certainly not like a Shakespeare character. But I love the words.
The dialog has to be somewhat relatable or no one would listen.

Originally Posted by Dan

On a forum dedicated to movies & media, that seems low to me.
Me too...shockingly so.
Old 07-05-19, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It is going to air on TCM or channel 256 on Directv on July 11 at 10:45am PDT.
Old 07-05-19, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I'm gonna keep out of all the drama, so I'll just say "yes" I saw it, several times. My dad is a movie nut, so I was exposed to all the classics at an early age, including this one. I still have a HD DVD of it kicking around too, from what I recall it looked pretty nice in hi-def.
Ah, yes, I had the HD DVD as well. I just knew that was going to be the winning format over Blu, so I had quite the HD DVD collection. Casablanca looked very clean compared to the version that was always shown on TV. I need to pick it up on Blu-Ray.
Old 07-05-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I have never seen it, nor have I seen Gone with the Wind. I've seen other Bogart films, but not this one. I would likely watch it one day if it pops up on a streaming service I have, but wouldn't actually seek it out and pay for it.
Old 07-05-19, 02:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Some Guru of Movies you turned out to be.
Old 07-05-19, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some Guru of Movies you turned out to be.
Old 07-06-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is going to air on TCM or channel 256 on Directv on July 11 at 10:45am PDT.
Thank you for that.
NOW there will be no excuse for anyone here to say they "haven't seen it."
Old 07-06-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Thank you for that.
NOW there will be no excuse for anyone here to say they "haven't seen it."
I don't get TCM
Old 07-06-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

This is what introduced me to the film when I was a kid.

Old 07-06-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I don't get TCM
Good God, sir!
Old 07-06-19, 04:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Who even pays for cable TV anymore?
Old 07-07-19, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
You do realize we are talking about a movie made in 1942, right?
When people talked differently than they do today?
I don't know about people - but they sure talked differently in the movies.
Old 07-07-19, 12:23 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Who even pays for cable TV anymore?
ˆˆˆ *temporary thread derail* RIGHT!!!? I just found out that I'm overpaying for DirecTV and that YouTube premium(?) has just as many -if not all the channels as DirecTV does at a fraction of the cost, around $45 a month, am I the only one just finding this out? We get all the channels including HBO and Showtime and I pay well into the $120+ range, and if I want to waste half a day every six months I can call them up and haggle for a lower price. I think 2019 is my last call into DirecTV and then we'll cut the cord for good. Our kids no longer watch TV at all (they're too busy on iPads/Youtube), wife only watches Bravo, HGTV, Food Network and local L.A. news (maybe Judge Judy for laughs). And I honestly don't care about local sports anymore because DirecTV doesn't carry the Lakers or Dodgers. Ironic shortsightedness by sports leagues and exclusive cable contracts. None of my three children are sports fans because they didn't grow up watching it. It'll be interesting to see in the years to come how many "potential/future" fans were lost to broadcast rights. I know that data has to be out there. [end thread derail]

I've never seen Casablanca, -spoiler- only short scenes of Bogart at a bar and a scene of some chick getting on a plane, or was that Bogart getting on a plane? I will make an effort to catch/DVR that TCM broadcast so I can finally check that off my list.

Also, I've never watched Gone With the Wind and I honestly would be okay with never seeing it (I think?).

Citizen Kane, I've seen the first 45 minutes - and then the last 10 minutes of... so I need to fill in the gaps on that one!

But movies I've seen ten plus times, that list is endless. My proudest being 2001: A Space Odyssey. I discovered it in high school back in the 80's and bought a VHS copy for $75.00 (the first movie I ever bought to own) - remember before we purchased movies on tape they were exorbitantly expensive! But I watched 2001 religiously, practically once a week through my junior year of high school. And at least once a year since then.
Old 07-07-19, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

All the folks who are talking about not having seen either Casablanca or Gone with the Wind can skip GWTW and just watch Casablanca, even though it’s the one in black and white.
Old 07-07-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The funny thing is some views that Antifa thinks makes someone a "fascist" .
Maybe it's because the grammar is so bad, but is this meant to say that some people think Antifa views are fascist views? Antifa stands for anti-fascist, right?
Old 07-07-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
And yet, as it currently stands, more than one in four forum members who answered the poll haven't seen the film. Who's being naive when they say "everyone knows Casablanca!"?
I think it is safe to say that a very high percentage of the 25% who have not seen Casablanca all the way through still "know" the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.