Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's 2019: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)
Yes, in full
73.95%
No, or only in part
26.05%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

It's 2019: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)?

Old 07-03-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: It's 2019: Have you seen Casablanca (1942)?

Originally Posted by brayzie
I have little interest in other classics like Gone With the Wind and Citizen Kane.
Gone with the Wind is essential viewing when learning the history of film but it’s really not that great of a movie. Scarlett is a spoiled brat through the whole thing, which makes Rhett’s “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”. line at the end all the more badass in that context, but watching 4 hours with a main character who is basically a bitch the whole time is a bit too much.

Citizen Kane has a pretty damn boring plot for a movie (though the history it’s based on makes it more interesting) but the filmmaking itself is like a visual textbook!
Old 07-03-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

I've seen Casablanca once - when I bought it on DVD on 2003. I was trying to figure what to watch tonight, and now I know!
Old 07-03-19, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a TCM viewer, I've had about a thousand chances to watch it..

But, no. Not all the way - not even most of the way.

I just don't know anyone in real life that talks like that. So, I can't seem to care about it.
Old 07-04-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Nope, but I should get around to this blind spot, one of many, sometime this summer.

Also, was Antifa even a thing when Mabuse first saw the film? Up until the past year or two I had never heard of antifa folks.

Old 07-04-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Was thinking about Casablanca at work tonight, and it occurred to me the movie hasn't seemed to have seeped into the pop culture the way other classic films have. Even as a kid, I knew the "secrets" of movies like Psycho and Citizen Kane long before I watched them. But Casablanca I barely know anything about. I don't know the plot, I don't know any of it's big scenes, I don't even know for sure if Peter Lorre is in it or not. I love watching movies fresh. I should check my library to see if they have a copy.
Old 07-04-19, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

I love the dialogue, the plot, the acting, the atmosphere, the direction... I don't have a single favorite thing when it comes to Casablanca.
That's it EXACTLY.
It isn't any one thing that's great...it's everything together.
A good stew isn't a good stew until good things are put in...

Originally Posted by B5Erik

But if you don't get around to watching this movie by the end of the month you WILL be required to turn in all of your DVD's and Blu Rays and give up movie watching for a period of no less than six months, and no more than a year. The punishment fits the crime.
LOL, nice...

Originally Posted by greensmoke
I just don't know anyone in real life that talks like that.
You do realize we are talking about a movie made in 1942, right?
When people talked differently than they do today?
Old 07-04-19, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

As a TCM viewer, I've had about a thousand chances to watch it..

But, no. Not all the way - not even most of the way.

I just don't know anyone in real life that talks like that. So, I can't seem to care about it.
So you don't watch any Shakespeare either, I take it.
Old 07-04-19, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Was thinking about Casablanca at work tonight, and it occurred to me the movie hasn't seemed to have seeped into the pop culture the way other classic films have. Even as a kid, I knew the "secrets" of movies like Psycho and Citizen Kane long before I watched them. But Casablanca I barely know anything about. I don't know the plot, I don't know any of it's big scenes, I don't even know for sure if Peter Lorre is in it or not. I love watching movies fresh. I should check my library to see if they have a copy.
How can you say that? It may be the most quoted movie in history:

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find there is gambling going on here."
"Round up the usual suspects."
"Play it again, Sam"
"I stick my neck out for no one."
"The problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."
"Looks like this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

And that's just off the top of my head.
Old 07-04-19, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

No

Is it playing on cable somewhere?
Old 07-04-19, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
So you don't watch any Shakespeare either, I take it.
Or Star Wars.
Old 07-04-19, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

"Play it again, Sam"
"The problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

"A franc for your thoughts"
"In America they only bring a penny"
"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine"
Old 07-04-19, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's the Blue Parrot. IDK the second one.
FADE TO BLACK. Dennis Christopher and Mickey Rourke have a trivia challenge and Rourke doesn't know it. I believe Christopher's question was name of Cagney's character in White Heat. Cody Jarrett.
Old 07-04-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

While I like and respect Casablanca, my real love is The Maltese Falcon! In the Maltese Falcon, you get the badass (hard boiled)/ take no prisoners version of Bogey. The movie plays even better in today's cynical and trust no one world.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 07-04-19 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
For those that love it, what's your #1 favourite thing about it that you would use in order to get others to see it sooner than later? Note that "It's a classic for fucks sake" isn't really compelling or sufficient, because if it was, most of those who haven't seen it would have, by now.

Blaine being an Antifa Supersoldier doesn't count, either.
As I mentioned in my first post, it's one of the few older movies that seems timeless. Why? Because the acting in it is very modern. Most movies from that period have actors performing like stage actors (understandable, since most actors of that period WERE stage performers). The acting in Casablanca is very realistic, particularly Bogart's performance. So while it's an old movie, other than the B&W and the WWII setting, it doesn't FEEL like an old movie.
Old 07-04-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I never understand these kind of comments about classic cinema. Unless you're George Lucas, movies are permanently locked into the era in which they were made. The clothes they wore, the values, the hairstyles, the language. It's the closest thing we have to a time machine. It's really one of the most fascinating things about older movies. It always boggles my mind that people can't enjoy something from another time because it doesn't seem like the world they are familiar with.

The Blu Ray of Casablanca looks fantastic too.

Old 07-04-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

I saw it once and though it was okay. I then finally watch Singing In The Rain I think it was on TMC few months ago and I really enjoyed it and I not real a fan of musical flick.
Old 07-04-19, 10:12 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Nope, but I should get around to this blind spot, one of many, sometime this summer.

Also, was Antifa even a thing when Mabuse first saw the film? Up until the past year or two I had never heard of antifa folks.

This thread was created because of an argument in the politics forum. For some strange reason a member here posted a very sophomoric YouTube film review pointing out that the character trajectories in Casablanca align with today’s antifa movement. I felt the reviewer was naive to the fact that everyone already knows this, that being a WWII film made during the war its anti-nazi sentiments couldn’t be more well known. The reviewer came off as very pious, like he was unveiling this amazing truth. And I was like, “Yawn. Old news.”

But you can’t question anything woke, so it turned into nonsense.

It devolved into some claiming Casablanca isn’t that well known or widely viewed.
Old 07-04-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
This thread was created because of an argument in the politics forum. For some strange reason a member here posted a very sophomoric YouTube film review pointing out that the character trajectories in Casablanca align with today’s antifa movement. I felt the reviewer was naive to the fact that everyone already knows this, that being a WWII film made during the war its anti-nazi sentiments couldn’t be more well known.
The funny thing is some views that Antifa thinks makes someone a "fascist" such as thinking there's only 2 genders, thinking that there's innate natural differences between men and women, and believing that being homosexual was morally wrong - views which were basically shared by nearly everyone in the 1940s - would have antifa labelling Rick Blaine a "fascist" because, living in the '40s, he would've had these views too.

Old 07-04-19, 11:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

This thread was created because of an argument in the politics forum. For some strange reason a member here posted a very sophomoric YouTube film review pointing out that the character trajectories in Casablanca align with today’s antifa movement.

It was directly relevant to the topic of the thread in which it was posted. This would have been clear to anyone who doesn't make it their goal on this forum to be a constant contrarian.

I felt the reviewer was naive to the fact that everyone already knows this, that being a WWII film made during the war its anti-nazi sentiments couldn’t be more well known.
And yet, as it currently stands, more than one in four forum members who answered the poll haven't seen the film. Who's being naive when they say "everyone knows Casablanca!"?

The reviewer came off as very pious, like he was unveiling this amazing truth. And I was like, “Yawn. Old news.”
He did no such thing, but, per above, you do you.

But you can’t question anything woke, so it turned into nonsense.
This has nothing to do with "woke" at all, but no, you didn't "question" it, you dismissed it outright.

It devolved into some claiming Casablanca isn’t that well known or widely viewed.
I don't recall anyone saying that; in fact, you're the one who kept making bold unsubstantiated claims that you couldn't back up.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was clearly stated in the OP, yet you've chosen to "devolve" it with your continued string of contrarian nonsense while others are trying to talk about the film and what draws people to it.
Old 07-04-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

It's a solid but overrated movie. Never understood why certain films and actors got the bigger than life "classic" label, while other, better films got ignored. Bogart and James Dean really weren't that great of actors yet those two names are the most recognizable.

Frankly, Bogart got on my nerves. Ugly, short, his voice is unpleasant. It's frankly laughable that he played a badass in most his films.
Old 07-04-19, 11:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac
The funny thing is some views that Antifa thinks makes someone a "fascist" such as thinking there's only 2 genders, thinking that there's innate natural differences between men and women, and believing that being homosexual was morally wrong - views which were basically shared by nearly everyone in the 1940s - would have antifa labelling Rick Blaine a "fascist" because, living in the '40s, he would've had these views too.
Thanks to Mabuse for welcoming this level of "discourse" to the thread.

Those are not "antifa" views. They're strawmen.
Old 07-04-19, 12:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

And yet, as it currently stands, more than one in four forum members who answered the poll haven't seen the film. Who's being naive when they say "everyone knows Casablanca!"?
Or another way of looking at it...75% of respondents have seen the film. I’d like to see a poll of a film with higher numbers. Maybe Wizard of Oz? Jaws?
Old 07-04-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
You do realize we are talking about a movie made in 1942, right?
When people talked differently than they do today?
I don't think that people spoke that way in 1942 either.

For me, one form of pleasure in watching a movie is listening to the well-crafted, artificial dialog. Nobody speaks like a David Mamet character and certainly not like a Shakespeare character. But I love the words.
Old 07-04-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

"Play it again, Sam"

I know "Play it again, Sam" is associated with Casablanca, but only as being quote that isn't actually in the movie.

Stuff like "Looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship" and "Round up the usual suspects" is interesting to hear they originated with Casablanca, I would have assumed are just generic phrases.

When I watch it, there may be references I'll now get. My point was that the movie hadn't been "spoiled". While you posted half a dozen famous quotes, they have no context for me, I don't know what they mean in the movie. I remain blissfully in the dark about what happens in this movie, unlike other famous classic films.
Old 07-04-19, 12:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Or another way of looking at it...75% of respondents have seen the film.
On a forum dedicated to movies & media, that seems low to me. If it were a broader forum, I expect it'd be even lower.

I’d like to see a poll of a film with higher numbers. Maybe Wizard of Oz? Jaws?
See this is an interesting line of thought.Is there a movie that we could expect 90% or higher have seen, on this forum? Oz might be it. Or a '90s era Disney classic like The Lion King or Aladdin.

Jaws, I'm not so sure. I think Jurassic Park would be more likely.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.