Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (2023, D: Marshall)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (2023, D: Marshall)

Old 07-04-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (2023, D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if Disney hadn't cast Aladdin and the upcoming Mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The Little Mermaid is Danish. She should look like a Dane.
Well, they did cast a non-arabic actress as Jasmine, and there was outrage in certain circles about it. It's really just the white people who didn't care about it, because she looks close enough for them and is super hot.
Old 07-04-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by shannon nutt
i can't wait to see who they cast in a live-action frozen.

i'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if disney hadn't cast aladdin and the upcoming mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The little mermaid is danish. She should look like a dane.
shes a white mermaid who speaks perfect english goddammit
Old 07-04-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I can't wait to see who they cast in a live-action FROZEN.

I'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if Disney hadn't cast Aladdin and the upcoming Mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The Little Mermaid is Danish. She should look like a Dane.
The difference is, is that for the longest time, non-white actors had very little to no representation on the big screen, at least in regards to starring roles. And when roles called for someone of color, they still went with whites. The Kung Fu TV series stars a white guy, ninja films starred white guy ninjas, Egyptians in all historical epics are usually played by whites. So I can see why one is much more upsetting than the other.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Well, they did cast a non-arabic actress as Jasmine, and there was outrage in certain circles about it. It's really just the white people who didn't care about it, because she looks close enough for them and is super hot.
I think most people didn't care about it.

It must be pretty insulting to be an actress and read headlines like "Dear Disney, casting Naomi Scott as Jasmine just because she’s brown highlights the Orientalist tendency of conflating all brown cultures." Yeah, because acting talent had nothing to do with it. No mention in the article that the original story of Aladdin takes place in China.
From Vox: In other words, while he had a Syrian source, a French guy with a European colonial view of Asia brought us the original Aladdin.

Old 07-04-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Ariel is white, why is that so difficult to understand?
If they don't cast a purple female for Ursula, i'm boycotting!
Old 07-05-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

So is Arthur Curry, but no one seems to mind Momoa in the role.
Old 07-05-19, 12:59 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I wonder how they're going to handle the character in the parks and in merchandise.

Are they going to replace the current white Ariel with a black Ariel in the parades, shows and the Meet & Greet spots?

Are they going to sell both black and white versions of the Ariel toys, t-shirts, plushes?

Or will the black Ariel only exist in the live action movie?

Personally, I would have preferred to see them create a new character. She could have been a relative or friend of Ariel. That would give them so many more opportunities to use the character in future movies and TV shows. And she could appear alongside Ariel in the parks and on merchandise.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 07-05-19 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

The story is Danish, but she’s from the ocean. I suspect her place of birth was not Denmark.
Old 07-05-19, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I wonder how they're going to handle the character in the parks and in merchandise.

Are they going to replace the current white Ariel with a black Ariel in the parades, shows and the Meet & Greet spots?

Are they going to sell both black and white versions of the Ariel toys, t-shirts, plushes?

Or will the black Ariel only exist in the live action movie?

Personally, I would have preferred to see them create a new character. She could have been a relative or friend of Ariel. That would give them so many more opportunities to use the character in future movies and TV shows. And she could appear alongside Ariel in the parks and on merchandise.
We went to Disney World in late 17. They had a place in the park where you could go meet Ariel and have your picture taken with her. Of course my daughter wants a picture, so we stand in the line. When it was our turn, Ariel said she had some rules we had to follow before the picture was taken. She stressed three or four times that no touching (meaning her) was allowed.

I wanted to say, hey lady, I am here with my wife and daughter, I am not going to feel you up. She was smokin' hot, so I get she probably gets hit on a lot.
Old 07-05-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

I guess there is a #NotMyAriel trending on Twitter.
Old 07-05-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
This news has me hopeful that when they get around to the live action Snow White that they will make one of the dwarfs transgender.
Or Snow White herself. That would end the internet.

Originally Posted by Drexl
I guess Bella Thorne was too controversial.
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I would've gone with Miley Cyrus. Bring her back into the Disney fold.
The amount of CG needed would have eclipsed their budget, and that's before even getting to the cost of the underwater scenes.

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Nobody cares about orange suited Aquaman. Nobody.
Old 07-05-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I wonder why the whites didn’t hashtag #NotMyAquaman when Momoa was cast?

Last edited by brayzie; 07-05-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Disney fans on the Internet: “Why does Disney bother to remake their animated movies if they don’t change anything?”

Disney fans on on the Internet when Disney does change something: “I’m not happy with this change.”
All the recent movies wallow in mediocrity because they are too tied to their animated counterparts.

I don't know anything about this actress/singer, but she looks the part. I'm probably more interested now than I was before.

What's it like living in 1950? The 1989 film is ONE depiction of a 100 year old tale. They could cast Jason Momoa in the role for all I care just to put a new spin on the tale.
Old 07-05-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What's it like living in 1950? The 1989 film is ONE depiction of a 100 year old tale. They could cast Jason Momoa in the role for all I care just to put a new spin on the tale.
I would buy that if this wasn't just going to be a cut and paste job from their animated film. But I guess we'll see. We still need an Asian princess so they can stop shoehorning Mulan into that role.
Old 07-05-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

This Actress, currently on DCU's "Swamp Thing" is Danish... born and bred in Copenhagen, Denmark. Was Miss Denmark 2008

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3080233/

Spoiler:
Something tells me people would still be unhappy...
Old 07-05-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Realistically speaking, someone who has spend their entire life swimming in sea water, exposed to the sun, would be dark haired and dark skinned. A pasty skinned red head wouldn’t survive a single day.

Of course, we’re also talking about a make believe mermaid, so...
Old 07-05-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Realistically speaking, someone who has spend their entire life swimming in sea water, exposed to the sun, would be dark haired and dark skinned. A pasty skinned red head wouldn’t survive a single day.

Of course, we’re also talking about a make believe mermaid, so...

Yeah but, that didn't stop White folks from making Jesus a pale skin white dude did it? 33years in the hot Middle East sun and he's still white? But of course , Jesus is make believe...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-05-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Halle plays "Sky" on teh "black-ish" spin off "Grown-ish" in this video she is the one in black singing with her sister. They are established singers.

Old 07-05-19, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah but, that didn't stop White folks from making Jesus a pale skin white dude did it? 33years in the hot Middle East sun and he's still white? But of course , Jesus is make believe...
First of all, Jesus was Korean. It's common damn sense. Second I was thinking with the success of Spider man far from home and the fact she was on the disney channel for so many years they would have chosen that Zendaya chick.
Old 07-05-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I guess the next question is: WHEN is this new version going to take place? It felt like the animated version took place somewhere around the middle of the 19th Century. So we’re either going to have an unrealistic black prince in the 1800s or this new version is going to have an interracial romance. I look forward to seeing what Disney chooses to do.
Old 07-05-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess the next question is: WHEN is this new version going to take place? It felt like the animated version took place somewhere around the middle of the 19th Century. So we’re either going to have an unrealistic black prince in the 1800s or this new version is going to have an interracial romance. I look forward to seeing what Disney chooses to do.
Since when did they care about either historical accuracy or trying to place their animated movies into a set period?
Old 07-05-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It’s so weird to see “interracial romance” be an issue. Yeah it wasn’t common for leads in film and television but I thought it wasn’t a big deal. However, I think Disney got into trouble for that in The Princess and the Frog. People will complain either way.

As far as the criticism, I think it’s fair to a degree. Ariel is a white redhead. Fans tend to want adaptations to remain true to the source material they grew up with, in this case the 1989 film. But actually having #NotMyAriel as a hashtag is a little too telling IMO.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-05-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

[sarcasm] The horror! [/sarcasm]

I think this is a fantastic look.
Old 07-05-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

It’s so weird to see “interracial romance” be an issue. Yeah it wasn’t common for leads in film and television but I thought it wasn’t a big deal. However, I think Disney got into trouble for that in The Princess and the Frog. People will complain either way.

As far as the criticism, I think it’s fair to a degree. Ariel is a white redhead. Fans tend to want adaptations to remain true to the source material they grew up with, in this case the 1989 film. But actually having #NotMyAriel as a hashtag is a little too telling IMO.
Twitter is the worst thing to happen to modern society. It's just as dumb as the infamous #OscarsSoWhite.
Old 07-05-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Can you imagine the outrage had social media had been around in the 1970's when it was announced there are plans on filming a version of the Wizard of Oz featuring an all black cast? Get this, the name of the movie is going to be The Wiz! There would be #NotMyOz hashtags all over twitter.
Old 07-06-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Halle plays "Sky" on teh "black-ish" spin off "Grown-ish" in this video she is the one in black singing with her sister. They are established singers.
I don't know how good an actress she is, but her vocals are certainly on point for Ariel.

All of these live action Disney remakes have felt stale and unnecessary to me, so I'm not holding out much hope for this one. I'm not really a fan of Rob Marhsall's directing style to begin with. Still, this girl seems like a solid choice if they were determined to have a POC in the title role. I'm more concerned with the Melissa McCarthy news. Ursula is my favorite Disney villain, but I can't picture McCarthy being intimidating -- especially if she grows into a giant during the climax like in the cartoon.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-06-19 at 02:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.