Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Old 07-04-19, 03:42 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,637
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if Disney hadn't cast Aladdin and the upcoming Mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The Little Mermaid is Danish. She should look like a Dane.
Well, they did cast a non-arabic actress as Jasmine, and there was outrage in certain circles about it. It's really just the white people who didn't care about it, because she looks close enough for them and is super hot.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 04:31 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,100
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by shannon nutt View Post
i can't wait to see who they cast in a live-action frozen.

i'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if disney hadn't cast aladdin and the upcoming mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The little mermaid is danish. She should look like a dane.
shes a white mermaid who speaks perfect english goddammit
Draven is online now  
Old 07-04-19, 05:16 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,470
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I can't wait to see who they cast in a live-action FROZEN.

I'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if Disney hadn't cast Aladdin and the upcoming Mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The Little Mermaid is Danish. She should look like a Dane.
The difference is, is that for the longest time, non-white actors had very little to no representation on the big screen, at least in regards to starring roles. And when roles called for someone of color, they still went with whites. The Kung Fu TV series stars a white guy, ninja films starred white guy ninjas, Egyptians in all historical epics are usually played by whites. So I can see why one is much more upsetting than the other.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Well, they did cast a non-arabic actress as Jasmine, and there was outrage in certain circles about it. It's really just the white people who didn't care about it, because she looks close enough for them and is super hot.
I think most people didn't care about it.

It must be pretty insulting to be an actress and read headlines like "Dear Disney, casting Naomi Scott as Jasmine just because she’s brown highlights the Orientalist tendency of conflating all brown cultures." Yeah, because acting talent had nothing to do with it. No mention in the article that the original story of Aladdin takes place in China.
From Vox: In other words, while he had a Syrian source, a French guy with a European colonial view of Asia brought us the original Aladdin.

brayzie is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 07:18 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 1,561
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Ariel is white, why is that so difficult to understand?
If they don't cast a purple female for Ursula, i'm boycotting!
Sorraffy is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 12:15 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,301
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Ariel is white, why is that so difficult to understand?
So is Arthur Curry, but no one seems to mind Momoa in the role.
devilshalo is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 12:59 AM
  #56  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,535
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

I wonder how they're going to handle the character in the parks and in merchandise.

Are they going to replace the current white Ariel with a black Ariel in the parades, shows and the Meet & Greet spots?

Are they going to sell both black and white versions of the Ariel toys, t-shirts, plushes?

Or will the black Ariel only exist in the live action movie?

Personally, I would have preferred to see them create a new character. She could have been a relative or friend of Ariel. That would give them so many more opportunities to use the character in future movies and TV shows. And she could appear alongside Ariel in the parks and on merchandise.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 07-05-19 at 01:07 AM.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:11 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,894
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I can't wait to see who they cast in a live-action FROZEN.

I'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if Disney hadn't cast Aladdin and the upcoming Mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The Little Mermaid is Danish. She should look like a Dane.
The story is Danish, but she’s from the ocean. I suspect her place of birth was not Denmark.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 06:00 AM
  #58  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,441
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I wonder how they're going to handle the character in the parks and in merchandise.

Are they going to replace the current white Ariel with a black Ariel in the parades, shows and the Meet & Greet spots?

Are they going to sell both black and white versions of the Ariel toys, t-shirts, plushes?

Or will the black Ariel only exist in the live action movie?

Personally, I would have preferred to see them create a new character. She could have been a relative or friend of Ariel. That would give them so many more opportunities to use the character in future movies and TV shows. And she could appear alongside Ariel in the parks and on merchandise.
We went to Disney World in late 17. They had a place in the park where you could go meet Ariel and have your picture taken with her. Of course my daughter wants a picture, so we stand in the line. When it was our turn, Ariel said she had some rules we had to follow before the picture was taken. She stressed three or four times that no touching (meaning her) was allowed.

I wanted to say, hey lady, I am here with my wife and daughter, I am not going to feel you up. She was smokin' hot, so I get she probably gets hit on a lot.
Sonny Corinthos is online now  
Old 07-05-19, 09:09 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,591
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

I guess there is a #NotMyAriel trending on Twitter.
Deftones is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 09:33 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,983
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
This news has me hopeful that when they get around to the live action Snow White that they will make one of the dwarfs transgender.
Or Snow White herself. That would end the internet.

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I guess Bella Thorne was too controversial.
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I would've gone with Miley Cyrus. Bring her back into the Disney fold.
The amount of CG needed would have eclipsed their budget, and that's before even getting to the cost of the underwater scenes.

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
So is Arthur Curry, but no one seems to mind Momoa in the role.
Nobody cares about orange suited Aquaman. Nobody.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 09:45 AM
  #61  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,470
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
So is Arthur Curry, but no one seems to mind Momoa in the role.
I wonder why the whites didn’t hashtag #NotMyAquaman when Momoa was cast?

Last edited by brayzie; 07-05-19 at 09:55 AM.
brayzie is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 10:08 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,242
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Disney fans on the Internet: “Why does Disney bother to remake their animated movies if they don’t change anything?”

Disney fans on on the Internet when Disney does change something: “I’m not happy with this change.”
All the recent movies wallow in mediocrity because they are too tied to their animated counterparts.

I don't know anything about this actress/singer, but she looks the part. I'm probably more interested now than I was before.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Ariel is white, why is that so difficult to understand?
What's it like living in 1950? The 1989 film is ONE depiction of a 100 year old tale. They could cast Jason Momoa in the role for all I care just to put a new spin on the tale.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 10:11 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,983
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
What's it like living in 1950? The 1989 film is ONE depiction of a 100 year old tale. They could cast Jason Momoa in the role for all I care just to put a new spin on the tale.
I would buy that if this wasn't just going to be a cut and paste job from their animated film. But I guess we'll see. We still need an Asian princess so they can stop shoehorning Mulan into that role.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:20 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,104
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I can't wait to see who they cast in a live-action FROZEN.

I'm fine with the casting, but let's be honest - if Disney hadn't cast Aladdin and the upcoming Mulan with race-specific actors, people would be screaming about it. The Little Mermaid is Danish. She should look like a Dane.
This Actress, currently on DCU's "Swamp Thing" is Danish... born and bred in Copenhagen, Denmark. Was Miss Denmark 2008

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3080233/

Spoiler:
Something tells me people would still be unhappy...
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:28 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,537
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Realistically speaking, someone who has spend their entire life swimming in sea water, exposed to the sun, would be dark haired and dark skinned. A pasty skinned red head wouldn’t survive a single day.

Of course, we’re also talking about a make believe mermaid, so...
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:32 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,104
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Realistically speaking, someone who has spend their entire life swimming in sea water, exposed to the sun, would be dark haired and dark skinned. A pasty skinned red head wouldn’t survive a single day.

Of course, we’re also talking about a make believe mermaid, so...


Yeah but, that didn't stop White folks from making Jesus a pale skin white dude did it? 33years in the hot Middle East sun and he's still white? But of course , Jesus is make believe...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-05-19 at 01:43 PM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:36 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,104
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Halle plays "Sky" on teh "black-ish" spin off "Grown-ish" in this video she is the one in black singing with her sister. They are established singers.

Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:52 PM
  #68  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: This side of hell
Posts: 170
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah but, that didn't stop White folks from making Jesus a pale skin white dude did it? 33years in the hot Middle East sun and he's still white? But of course , Jesus is make believe...
First of all, Jesus was Korean. It's common damn sense. Second I was thinking with the success of Spider man far from home and the fact she was on the disney channel for so many years they would have chosen that Zendaya chick.
Rare Breed22 is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 01:57 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,537
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

I guess the next question is: WHEN is this new version going to take place? It felt like the animated version took place somewhere around the middle of the 19th Century. So we’re either going to have an unrealistic black prince in the 1800s or this new version is going to have an interracial romance. I look forward to seeing what Disney chooses to do.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 02:21 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,983
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I guess the next question is: WHEN is this new version going to take place? It felt like the animated version took place somewhere around the middle of the 19th Century. So we’re either going to have an unrealistic black prince in the 1800s or this new version is going to have an interracial romance. I look forward to seeing what Disney chooses to do.
Since when did they care about either historical accuracy or trying to place their animated movies into a set period?
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 03:47 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,470
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I guess the next question is: WHEN is this new version going to take place? It felt like the animated version took place somewhere around the middle of the 19th Century. So we’re either going to have an unrealistic black prince in the 1800s or this new version is going to have an interracial romance. I look forward to seeing what Disney chooses to do.
It’s so weird to see “interracial romance” be an issue. Yeah it wasn’t common for leads in film and television but I thought it wasn’t a big deal. However, I think Disney got into trouble for that in The Princess and the Frog. People will complain either way.

As far as the criticism, I think it’s fair to a degree. Ariel is a white redhead. Fans tend to want adaptations to remain true to the source material they grew up with, in this case the 1989 film. But actually having #NotMyAriel as a hashtag is a little too telling IMO.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-05-19 at 03:56 PM.
brayzie is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 08:18 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,100
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

[sarcasm] The horror! [/sarcasm]




I think this is a fantastic look.
Draven is online now  
Old 07-05-19, 08:31 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,035
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post

It’s so weird to see “interracial romance” be an issue. Yeah it wasn’t common for leads in film and television but I thought it wasn’t a big deal. However, I think Disney got into trouble for that in The Princess and the Frog. People will complain either way.

As far as the criticism, I think it’s fair to a degree. Ariel is a white redhead. Fans tend to want adaptations to remain true to the source material they grew up with, in this case the 1989 film. But actually having #NotMyAriel as a hashtag is a little too telling IMO.
Twitter is the worst thing to happen to modern society. It's just as dumb as the infamous #OscarsSoWhite.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 07-05-19, 09:56 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,441
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Can you imagine the outrage had social media had been around in the 1970's when it was announced there are plans on filming a version of the Wizard of Oz featuring an all black cast? Get this, the name of the movie is going to be The Wiz! There would be #NotMyOz hashtags all over twitter.
Sonny Corinthos is online now  
Old 07-06-19, 07:43 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,122
Re: Disney’s The Little Mermaid - live action (D: Marshall)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Halle plays "Sky" on teh "black-ish" spin off "Grown-ish" in this video she is the one in black singing with her sister. They are established singers.
I don't know how good an actress she is, but her vocals are certainly on point for Ariel.


All of these live action Disney remakes have felt stale and unnecessary to me, so I'm not holding out much hope for this one. I'm not really a fan of Rob Marhsall's directing style to begin with. Still, this girl seems like a solid choice if they were determined to have a POC in the title role. I'm more concerned with the Melissa McCarthy news. Ursula is my favorite Disney villain, but I can't picture McCarthy being intimidating -- especially if she grows into a giant during the climax like in the cartoon.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-06-19 at 02:57 PM.
joe_b is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.