Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.39%
22.03%
52.54%
8.47%
8.47%
1.69%
3.39%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 04:20 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
And the final shot with Fury? Didn't look like Secret Wars to me - I have no idea what to make of that!
For you folks that watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I thought Fury was in “Tahiti.” 😉
Old 07-06-19, 06:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Spider-Man: Far From Home...what a breath of fresh air. a true MCU film that doesn't take itself too seriously. yes, there was emotion with Spider-Man and his constant internal conflicts and now, Happy dating May of course . But, they just kept it so light from beginning to end. it wasn't so much about the action or bad guy vs good guy, or how it fits into the miraculous Marvel compendium of brilliant Superhero movies. though that was certainly there at the end.

the beginning had more levity towards the preceding events (Endgame), with the blips and the certain changes, the homemade homage to Tony, etc. The end credit sequences (first) is really when the movie went twisty and was a little darker, but seeing J. Jonah (J.K. Simmons yet again) was so amazing and yes, of course added the levity!

just a great all around flick and i really think Tom Holland embodies Spider-Man, the kid, the fun, the internal struggle, all with ease and alacrity. not brooding like Maguire. not kinda serious and intense like Garfield, though he was more playful than Maguire. just full embodiment of this high school years character.

just thoroughly enjoyable movie and can't wait to see again.

Old 07-06-19, 08:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

For you folks that watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I thought Fury was in “Tahiti.” 😉
I had the same exact thought as soon as the scene came up.
Old 07-06-19, 09:36 PM

And I’m not sure that space is really where the franchise should go. Every great one save GoTG, Thor 3, little Captain Marvel, have been for the most part earth bound. That’s what makes it more relatable to the masses...

I really hope they still focus on these homegrown stories as well as ones that will further franchise to wherever, but this multi-verse as seen in Spider-Verse, kinda in FFH, looks like it could have great possibilities. 2 or 3 same parts cast in one movie would be epic. Or...it could stink.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-06-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-06-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree with being careful to not lean too far into the space/cosmic movement. The further you move the MCU away from a human/earth connection, the more you distance yourself from the emotion that these difficult circumstances create for the movie going audience. When there are human lives on the line then people relate. If there are alien horses possibly becoming extinct, most people will not get too emotionally attached.
Old 07-06-19, 10:27 PM

So if Fury and Hill were really Skrulls the whole time, if they were really there, would they have been fooled so easily by Beck? If Fury were really there he probably could have stopped all, somehow, much sooner and it would be like the movie never happened. Right?
Old 07-07-19, 05:07 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview
I had the same exact thought as soon as the scene came up.
Same.

Old 07-07-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Here's my Fury theory... he's been a Skrull since Winter Soldier. After he was gunned down and "died" in the hospital, they sent him to the space station to recuperate. When he suddenly reappears, that's a Skrull.
Old 07-07-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Just saw this yesterday. It was a good, fun movie. But this version of Spider-Man is not really true to the character that makes Spider-Man who he is. Parker is not the cash strapped, socially isolated, high school nerd originally portray in the comics. There is no guilt over Uncle Ben's death. At this point I don't think he was ever mentioned so we don't even know if he ever exists in this version. Aunt May is even younger than the Ultimate version. He doesn't even call her "Aunt May", but just "May". None of the other supporting characters are anywhere near faithful to the comics. All they do is share the same name with their comic book counterpart. Their personalities and backstorys are not even close to the comic book versions. MJ is only MJ in name only. Same with Ned Leeds. Betty Brandt isn't slightly older and working for The Daily Bugle. She is in high school with everyone else and looked more like Gwen Stacy or Liz Allen than Betty Brandt. Flash isn't the bully he was in the comics. He seemed to just tease Peter like high school friends normally do with one another. Also the switching of races of so many characters just for the sake of switching races to make it appear they are being PC comes off as just the opposite. J Jonah Jameson was perfect. I'm glad they stayed with J K Simmons and not doing something drastic like having Morgan Freeman play him.

The way he can create different costumes now makes him more like a mix of Iron Man or Batman. There's not much reason for him to design a costume with out the web gliders under his arms. He does't need to use his web shooters to travel from building to building. He can climb up a tall building, jump off and use the gliders to pretty much fly around the city. Since he has Stark's technology when making costumes, why wouldn't he just build in repulsor blasts, missiles, and other weapons when he is fighting villains. Why limit himself, when he can simply add additional abilities to aid him in easily easily defeating these villians? As someone mentined earlier, all he would have need to do was have the costume have infra red built in and he would have easily been able to get around anything Mysterio could throw at him. The one other odd thing, his costume appeared to be more armor like in the last fight sequence. Why would it not have been or been made to be fire retardant? It caught on fire in one of the scenes and he had to take a quick dip into the river to put the fire on his costume out.

One thing I was curious about, was the Black Widow a public figure in the MCU? She is supposed to be a spy, but in the opening sequence they mention her death as if she is a household name. I can see them not being able to hide Tony Stark's death as he was a public figure in the MCU, but I wouldn't think the Black Widow would be. They also refer to Captain America as being dead when he really is not. Why would the Avengers or what's left of them even hold a press conference or let the general public know about how they defeated Thanos? You would think they would be a little more covert in their operations. Did they go public and explain everything that happened to them like the time travel and everything else?

Last edited by movieguru; 07-07-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-07-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Here's my Fury theory... he's been a Skrull since Winter Soldier. After he was gunned down and "died" in the hospital, they sent him to the space station to recuperate. When he suddenly reappears, that's a Skrull.

Agreed.
Old 07-07-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Pretty torn on this. Saw it yesterday and thought it was a whole bunch of meh. The whole let's have Spider-Man take on the elementals was ludicrous. There should have been a better explanation why he was specifically needed and all they gave was piss poor lazy all the others are busy BS. That unfortunately set the tone for me. Some parts were OK. The actors just seemed to phone it in mostly Jackson. May be that was the point to show him acting differently because he was a skrull but it didn't work for me.

2.5/5 for me. The more I think about it the less I like it.
Old 07-07-19, 11:38 AM

i think that is a very big leap. i just think after Endgame he took SHIELD to space and set up operations to be more of a galaxy protector or something, rather than just earth. the Skrulls needed a new home/life following CM so i guess he is using them as slave labor but who knows. i don't think he's been a Skrull all along...
Old 07-07-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I watched a spoiler review yesterday that did kind of point out an overlooked plot hole.

If Beck was a disgruntled high level former employee of Stark Industries, how come no one was able to do some kind of facial recognition to double check who he is? As the flashback showed, Beck was actually at Tony's BARF presentation.

It's not like the guy just came out of nowhere. He would have to have had some kind of video and online presence in such a huge company. People would recognize the guy.

Fury would have been pretty meticulous on something like that. Hence, him actually being a Skrull could be why it was overlooked.
Old 07-07-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by movieguru
Just saw this yesterday. It was a good, fun movie. But this version of Spider-Man is not really true to the character that makes Spider-Man who he is. Parker is not the cash strapped, socially isolated, high school nerd originally portray in the comics. There is no guilt over Uncle Ben's death. At this point I don't think he was ever mentioned so we don't even know if he ever exists in this version.
When Peter was packing, they lingered on the initials on the suitcase, which were “BFP.”
Old 07-07-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv

When Peter was packing, they lingered on the initials on the suitcase, which were “BFP.”
What did the "F" stand for? I don't recall their ever being a reference to his middle name.
Old 07-07-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched a spoiler review yesterday that did kind of point out an overlooked plot hole.

If Beck was a disgruntled high level former employee of Stark Industries, how come no one was able to do some kind of facial recognition to double check who he is? As the flashback showed, Beck was actually at Tony's BARF presentation.

It's not like the guy just came out of nowhere. He would have to have had some kind of video and online presence in such a huge company. People would recognize the guy.

Fury would have been pretty meticulous on something like that. Hence, him actually being a Skrull could be why it was overlooked.
Maybe he was also projecting a different face to everyone else.
Old 07-07-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
What did the "F" stand for? I don't recall their ever being a reference to his middle name.
Per Wikipedia, his full name is Benjamin Franklin Parker.
Old 07-07-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Why was Captain America in the "in memorium"? Is the general public not aware of him altering his own timeline?
Old 07-07-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I don't think this theory really holds up because you're assuming that Tallos and his daughter were actually dusted at the end of Infinity War instead of Fury and Hill. And that really doesn't make sense since they dusted for 5+ years. Plus, Fury in Infinity War had the special pager that was given to him by Carol Danvers.

The gist that I got was that Tallos and his daughter were on earth masquerading as Fury and Hill for a few weeks, not 5+ years.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-07-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Why was Captain America in the "in memorium"? Is the general public not aware of him altering his own timeline?
That’s one of the huge paradoxes of Endgame. If Cap changed his timeline all those things that happened shouldn’t have if he still existed in ours. The cap with the new life should have existed in a different timeline.
Old 07-07-19, 04:15 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Since Beck said he was from a different “Earth (833)” in the Multi-verse, they didn’t question his “counterpart’s” dealings here on our Earth (616).
Old 07-07-19, 04:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:
www.facebook.com/orbiwanreviews

Spider-Man: Far From Home (PG-13) - The perfect follow-up to Avengers: Endgame - a spectacular superhero adventure with plenty of action, comedy, a bit of romance, and a few secrets that will just make you go “Wow!”

Between Sony and Disney/Marvel, it seems that the Spider-Man franchise is just hitting on all cylinders the past few years. Tom Holland was introduced into the MCU as the friendly neighborhood webslinger back in “Captain America: Civil War” with Tony Stark as his mentor, the follow-up “Homecoming” was just a fun teen comedy with super heroics blended into the mix, and Holland’s appearance in the past two Avengers movies made for both heart-touching and poignant plot points in those films. This past Christmas, Sony’s “Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse” hit screens with such originality, creativity and fun, that it earned the Oscar for best animated feature (and is currently playing on Netflix if you haven’t seen it yet.). And now, we have the summer treat that is “Spider-Man: Far From Home.”

After the momentous and somber events of “Avengers: Endgame”, those who have returned after The Blip (known in our world as The Snap) are still trying to restore normalcy to their lives, and come to grips with changes and loses. This includes Peter who, along with the rest of the world, is still mourning the deaths of Tony Stark, Natashia Romanov and Steve Rogers (an interesting detail not addressed in this movie). For Peter, losing his mentor has hit himespecially hard, but he has still thrown himself into being the local hero in his city, with the enthusiastic support of his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei). Also providing support and Stark resources is Happy Hogan (John Favereau), who alerts Peter that Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) has been attempting to contact him.

Peter wants nothing to do with it until he’s spent some hard-earned time on a European school vacation with his friends Ned (Jacob Batalon), MJ (Zendaya), Betty (Angourie Rice), Flash (Tony Revolori) and others. Unfortunately for Peter, circumstances force him into fighting a giant water entity, and we learn Fury and Marie Hill (Cobie Smulders) has been working with Quinton Beck (Jake Gyllenhaal), who says he’s a soldier from another dimension whose own version of Earth was destroyed by these giant elemental creatures. Beck has a special suit that allows him to fight the entities, and Peter begins to look at Beck as a potential mentor, and possible replacement for Iron Man.

Following a fight with another elemental creature in Prague, Peter, along with MJ, makes a startling discovery that puts himself and his friends in additional danger, and makes Peter realize that he really needs to step up and be the Avenger that Tony Stark has prepared him to be.

“Spider-Man: Far From Home” is exactly what we needed after “Endgame”. When Spider-Man and Mysterio aren’t duking it out with giant creatures of water and fire, the movie is bouncy, bright, fun and high spirited. It may also be the funniest MCU movie so far. There is romance in the air for many of the characters. The effects are absolutely top notch, and the twist half-way through is actually pretty neat and makes very good comic book sense given Beck’s comic book origins. Also, this is not the only twist, but you MUST stay through the final credits to get a full sense of the direction Peter and the MCU may be going at this point. I cannot emphasize this enough.

I absolutely loved “Spider-Man: Far From Home” and give it 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers. So far I can honestly say, this summer has been pretty terrific, movie-wise, but “Spider-Man” is going to be hard to top.

NOTES TO PARENTS: (Some mild spoilers) Spider-Man: Far From Home is rated PG-13 for comic book and sci-fi action, a lot of destruction, some language and brief innuendo. Language is fairly mild for a PG-13 movie, I only heard a couple of “s**”, hell, maybe a d**n or two, Flash calls Peter a “d**kwad”, and there is an unfinished “motherf-” in the mid-credit scene. At one point when Peter claims he doesn’t have enough experience being a hero, Fury tells him, “B***h, you’ve been to space.” May refers to Peter’s spidey sense as his “Peter Tingle”, and this is repeated a couple of times later in the movie. Peter is shown taking off his pants to change his costume a couple of times while there are female characters present. Brad, a new character, takes an unfortunate picture one of those times. Nothing other than underwear is “briefly” shown. There is kissing between some of the teen characters. Giant creatures made of earth, wind, water and fire wreak havoc and cause destruction. Peter gets injured a few times while fighting these creatures and eventually, their source.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: A mid-credit scene informs us of how drastically Peter’s life is about to change, and features a fun and welcome cameo; the after-credit scene gives us a startling and intriguing hint at the possible direction the next MCU phase may be headed.

LIKE and SHARE the review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends. www.facebook.com/orbiwanreviews

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under CREATIVE COMMONS.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-07-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 04:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Since Beck said he was from a different “Earth (833)” in the Multi-verse, they didn’t question his “counterpart’s” dealings here on our Earth (616).
Also, considering all the geniuses that Quinton had as part of his team, I would personally say there would be no problem with them wiping his existence from this Earth's databases.
Old 07-07-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The "when did the Skrull replace Nick Fury" stuff comes up at 4:30 in the video.

Old 07-07-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F

That’s one of the huge paradoxes of Endgame. If Cap changed his timeline all those things that happened shouldn’t have if he still existed in ours. The cap with the new life should have existed in a different timeline.
He didn't stop himself from being frozen in the ice. He just stayed behing and didn't come back to the present time of End Game. So he lived his life becoming an old man at the end of End Game. but while he was becoming an old man he was also frozen in the ice and having the adventures with the Avengers. So there was basically two of the same Steve Rogers from whatever point in time he went to up until he was sent back in time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.