Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.39%
22.03%
52.54%
8.47%
8.47%
1.69%
3.39%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-03-19, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

One more thing. I understand now why the hell these old Blip comic book/magazines started going up in value recently.

Old 07-03-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

The JJJ cameo was probably the most excited I’ve been in a movie in years.
Old 07-03-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The JJJ cameo was probably the most excited I’ve been in a movie in years.
I put this on everything, moments before it happened I was thinking "they really should work the Bugle and JJ into these movies, and bring JK back" seconds before he showed up. When Spidey was swinging they showed the inside of an office, and I thought maybe that was Robbie Robertson, is what got me on that path of thinking.

I'm glad they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here, and recasting JK, since he's so good in this role. Just putting a new twist on it which really makes sense for today.
Old 07-03-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
and they all sort of had that 90210 vibe going where they no longer look and act like high schoolers whereas I thought that felt so perfect before.
I don't necessarily agree, but my man Ned straight up looked like the class chaperone, and not a student, in this movie.
Old 07-03-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I attribute some of their changes to the blip. One minute you existed, the next you didn't. I'm not sure how I would have felt after coming back from that.
Yeah, that's probably a fair reading of it.
Old 07-03-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'd think not existing for five years would take some kind of emotional toll, but I guess it just sucks our your personality and makes you a boring caricature.

Good to know.
Old 07-03-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

The 5 year jump was stupid and now other movies have to deal with it.

With that said, I enjoyed it. Mysterio was dope and his sequences were great. I'm cool with Spidey stepping up in the absence of the avengers.
Old 07-03-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Spoiler:
I have read Secret Invasion and outside of being really underwhelmed by it, I don't see how two skrulls in disguise talking to Fury on a space ship really sets it up. If they were talking to another skrull I would understand but instead it just comes off as Fury being covert in order to be covert.
It does put out the idea that
Spoiler:
anyone can be replaced by a Skrull. I was thinking that (Endgame spoiler)
Spoiler:
the Black Widow, who died retrieving the Soul Stone
might have a Skrull replacement, which would then lead into "Secret Invasion."

As to how it could happen...
Spoiler:
Captain Marvel took place over twenty years ago, which is an eternity in superhero time, so a lot of things could have happened between then and now.. They might have a group of Skrulls that are more malicious who intend to take over Earth. Or relations could have soured in the two decades between. Thanos' "snap" might have eliminated the kinder Skrull leadership, which was then replaced by a more hardline, militaristic regime.
Old 07-03-19, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It does put out the idea that
Spoiler:
anyone can be replaced by a Skrull. I was thinking that (Endgame spoiler)
Spoiler:
the Black Widow, who died retrieving the Soul Stone
might have a Skrull replacement, which would then lead into "Secret Invasion."

Spoiler:

Red Skull would have seen through the "physical" disguise of Black Widow being a Skrull and said it when revealing personal information.
Old 07-04-19, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm glad they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here, and recasting JK, since he's so good in this role. Just putting a new twist on it which really makes sense for today.
They are using the version of JJJ that appears in the PS4 video game. I thought that was a super cool twist.

Question : How did Mysterio cause destruction in Mexico and Venice before he got access to EDITH?
Old 07-04-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Saw this last night and it was fun. I have zero complaints with Zendaya and the pace of their emerging relationship. They're both awkward teenagers. Hell, Zendaya is a little weirdo, too, as MJ, which works. I think folks may be a bit too nostalgic for the typical redhead white girl to give Z a chance.

I loved how everything was still intertwined to the MCU and Iron Man, with the disgruntled crew. Keep in mind, outside of Misterio, they're still out there. I remember years ago when there was talk of Christopher Nolan doing a Spider-Man film and he would only consider doing it if he could do Misterio. The studio said no and he moved on. What a trip that would have been, I really liked his angle in Far From Home.

I initially wanted to see the film in Dolby Cinema but it was sold out, so we went to the IMAX screening and I did not realize that it had shifting ratios, which was neat. They even gave us a little Spider-Man figurine.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-04-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I put this on everything, moments before it happened I was thinking "they really should work the Bugle and JJ into these movies, and bring JK back" seconds before he showed up. When Spidey was swinging they showed the inside of an office, and I thought maybe that was Robbie Robertson, is what got me on that path of thinking.
My thinking went along the same line of yours in thinking that the office scene was the Bugle, but then I actually began to suspect that JK would be reprising JJJ in this movie, because I remembered seeing that he showed up at the premiere the other night. I kinda wish that he hadn't been there, because knowing that he was kinda ruined the surprise for me.
Old 07-04-19, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The 5 year jump was stupid and now other movies have to deal with it.

With that said, I enjoyed it. Mysterio was dope and his sequences were great. I'm cool with Spidey stepping up in the absence of the avengers.
What really confused me about this (and maybe I'm wrong) was that some characters that returned from "The Blip" were 5yrs older like Brad and Happy (who said his beard aged 5yrs, so I assume he did as well?) and others were not. If not, it was totally inappropriate that a 21yr old would accompany a group of 16yr olds on a class field trip.

I found various parts of the plot confusing and nonsensical- Did they ever explain why Peter's spider-sense didn't work (trauma over Tony's death?)? I know it was a convenient plot device so he was easily fooled by Mysterio's illusions, but it would have been nice if they delved a little deeper into it.

The FX were good as usual- the drone fighting scene was great. It seems Marvel really has the CG stuff down now, soon they won't need actors at all.
Old 07-04-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
What really confused me about this (and maybe I'm wrong) was that some characters that returned from "The Blip" were 5yrs older like Brad and Happy (who said his beard aged 5yrs, so I assume he did as well?) and others were not. If not, it was totally inappropriate that a 21yr old would accompany a group of 16yr olds on a class field trip.
The characters (such as Brad) who aged 5 years were not 'Blipped'. They did not disappear with the snap of Thanos's fingers and remained on earth those five years and aged normally. The characters who were bipped (most or all of the returning characters) did not age 5 years, they returned the same age as when they left.
Old 07-04-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

Just got back and loved it - a top Marvel film for me. Love Tom Holland in the role and though I knew Mysterio was faking, he was still a fun character through the end. Really liked the MJ stuff (especially the homage to Gwen Stacy falling), I’m stoked his identity isn’t hidden anymore (which is the dumbest super hero thing to hold on to in 2019) and I can’t wait for what they set up.

I was loving it from the stolen Getty Images graphic for the “in memorium” but. What a great movie.
Old 07-04-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I noticed we have a cliffhanger ending with no "SPIDER-MAN WILL RETURN" at the end. Sony better make another deal.
Old 07-04-19, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The characters (such as Brad) who aged 5 years were not 'Blipped'. They did not disappear with the snap of Thanos's fingers and remained on earth those five years and aged normally. The characters who were bipped (most or all of the returning characters) did not age 5 years, they returned the same age as when they left.
That’s what I thought. So why did Brad accompany them on their field trip? He wasn’t there as an assistant and he was trying to hook up with a 16yr old.
Old 07-04-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

That’s what I thought. So why did Brad accompany them on their field trip? He wasn’t there as an assistant and he was trying to hook up with a 16yr old.
He was the little basketball player they showed at the very beginning. He was 11 or whatever when the snap happened.
Old 07-04-19, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven

He was the little basketball player they showed at the very beginning. He was 11 or whatever when the snap happened.
I thought they said he was 21?
Old 07-04-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

I thought they said he was 21?
No. Flash said he was 21 and MJ said he was really 16 because of the blip.
Old 07-04-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

So when did Tony have time to set up the stuff he gave to Peter? Was there a point in Endgame when he knew he was going die(and that Peter wouldn't?) and tell Happy what to do? Maybe he set it up before they went back in time just in case.

Was there a difference between the drones that team Mysterio was using and the drone's deployed by the Stark satellite? They seemed to be the same to me. That was a bit confusing. So after creating Ultron & Co., Tony created an army of killer drones?

I have to mention that I saw Zendaya up close in person many years ago. She was doing an autograph session at a car show in Chicago around the time she had her big Disney Channel show and I took my kids. My son told her a stupid joke.
Old 07-04-19, 09:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So when did Tony have time to set up the stuff he gave to Peter? Was there a point in Endgame when he knew he was going die(and that Peter wouldn't?) and tell Happy what to do? Maybe he set it up before they went back in time just in case.
Yeah you’d think the drones could have come in handy during the Endgame battle. Although I guess it wasn’t in the “only one” victory scenario Strange saw, lol.

Agree that Mysterio was cool. Wish he could have been a longer term character.
Old 07-04-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

I liked it. To me, it was a more solid movie, overall, than Homecoming. I think the Homecoming highlights were better, but Far From Home is more consistently good.

I still don't get how NOT having Mary Jane Watson in this universe makes it better (it doesn't), but the new M.J. worked a little better in this one than in Homecoming. The new Flash still sucks, though. He's utterly worthless.

But I enjoyed the movie, and liked how they handled Mysterio. I'd put this one in the middle of the Cinematic Spider-Man pack.
Old 07-05-19, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It sets up the idea that Skrulls are on earth and no one knows.
Well, you'd think Spiderman would know...Oh wait, his Spider sense wasn't working. How convenient.

​​​​​​Aren't there other psychics on Earth who could figure it out?
Old 07-05-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Well, you'd think Spiderman would know...Oh wait, his Spider sense wasn't working. How convenient.

​​​​​​Aren't there other psychics on Earth who could figure it out?
I thought the EDITH glasses would show him who was and wasn't a skrull like the glasses in They Live.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.