Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.39%
22.03%
52.54%
8.47%
8.47%
1.69%
3.39%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-19, 04:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Spider-Man: Far From Home" (Starring: Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, Zendaya, Jon Favreau, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, Marisa Tomei, Jacob Batalon)

Release Date:
7/2/19

Rating:
PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence, some language and brief suggestive comments throughout.)

Running Time:
129m. (2h. 09m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man must step up to take on new threats in a world that has changed forever.

End credit sequence(s):
Yes. 2 (mid, end).

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 6/27/19)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh: a lot Rotten: not a lot (90% as of 6/27/19)

Metacritic:
70 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 6/27/19)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-27-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 04:27 PM

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Opens 7/2/19 (Tuesday)
Old 07-01-19, 09:56 AM

bump for release
Old 07-02-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back and overall I would give it a 3.5/5. I still think that the Raimi movies were better because you felt that Raimi really liked the character and these feel mass produced. I thought that Misterio was a fun villain and kind of liked the twist how he tied into some of the past movies, but I thought it was stupid to basically ditch the suit and I dont understand why they did that as it made him less interesting. Tom Holland is still good as Peter and when the movie focuses on him it works, but when it doesn't it just becomes a slog when it decides to focus on the useless side characters. Seriously "MJ" is still awful and is a terrible character and love interest, and Ned is the most grating and annoying character in all the Marvel movies and his romance subplot with Betty was just stupid and painful.Also wasn't a fan of the suit redesign in the finale.

I thought the first post credit scene was great and am so thankful that they got
Spoiler:
J.K Simmons back as J.Jonah Jameson
since he is a perfect fit for that character. Second post credit scene I thought was lame and dont have much to say about it.

Overall I would give it a3.5/5. I liked this better than the first, when the movie focuses on Spidey and Misterio it works, but messing with what worked with Misterio and still focusing on shitty secondary characters works against it.
Old 07-02-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

Second post credit scene I thought was lame and dont have much to say about it.
You must not know much about the Marvel comics. That scene sets up the next phase of the MCU and has HUGE ramifications...
Spoiler:
Secret Invasion
Old 07-02-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well crud, literally. Multiple unexpected bouts of nausea and resultant stomach evacuations (SPOILERS - 7 times and counting in the past 4 hours) forced me to cancel our afternoon viewing at the AMC Dolby Cinema. Doc and wife have restricted me to the house until at least Saturday, so no Spider-Man for me until then, at the earliest.

At least I have Stranger Things 3 starting Thursday.
Old 07-02-19, 05:21 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Man, that mid credit scene! What a cliffhanger.

And the end one is huge deal.

Last edited by dex14; 07-02-19 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was a blast, loved the school stuff, loved the the super-heroics. Just a lot of fun. Great epilogue for the Avengers era of the MCU.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You must not know much about the Marvel comics. That scene sets up the next phase of the MCU and has HUGE ramifications...
Spoiler:
Secret Invasion
Spoiler:
Felt less like they were setting up Secret Invasion -- at least Secret Invasion as we know it, they did mention Kree sleeper cells -- and more like they were establishing SWORD/Captain Marvel's Alpha Flight.
Old 07-02-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I was underwhelmed by both of the credits sequences, but I still liked the film overall. Though it was brief, Fight #1 between Spidey and Mysterio was freaking GLORIOUS. Easily among the best comic book-to-screen Marvel moments I’ve yet to see. Especially with that sound mix that put Mysterio in our heads.

And that “I will Always Love You” montage.....Damn. That really shook me.
Old 07-02-19, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I was underwhelmed by both of the credits sequences, but I still liked the film overall. Though it was brief, Fight #1 between Spidey and Mysterio was freaking GLORIOUS. Easily among the best comic book-to-screen Marvel moments I’ve yet to see. Especially with that sound mix that put Mysterio in our heads.

And that “I will Always Love You” montage.....Damn. That really shook me.
Yup. That was like off the page good.
Old 07-02-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was a MAJOR disappointment. It felt like no one in this film was even trying. I think I enjoyed the two post credit scenes more than anything else. Except maybe the first illusion fight.

Sam Jackson had nothing to do. Jake Gyllenhal was fine with one of the flattest written villains in the MCU. Why hire J.B. Smoove and not give him a single funny thing to do or say?

If you know anything about Mysterio from the comics, you knew the plot twist a mile away. And even if you don't know the comics, it was easy to spot because of the way the story was paced. "The big action set up is paying off half way through? Time for a plot twist."

That smart/sarcastic MJ from Homecoming is virtually gone, replaced by a borderline annoying, boy-crazy teenager.

Do ANY of these characters have any real issues relating to the fact that they missed the last five years?

Why does Peter give a shit about Aunt May and Happy?

Why does Mysterio freak out and almost kill members of his crew? To show that he's a typical power-mad villain? How tired. Couldn't any one of that crew wreck the operation at any time? Wouldn't it be more interesting if they actually were working as a team, instead of following a crazy egomaniac?

And let's not forget the sad, old trope of Let's Take the Gang to Europe for Their Next Adventure!

I might have to watch Incredible Hulk again to be sure, but right now, far From Home goes at the very bottom of the MCU.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 07-02-19 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Really liked the film but agree that it comes to a crawl anytime they tried to focus on the romantic subplot. I like Zendaya a lot but her role as "MJ" is just strange. Marissa Tomei looks amazing. Her May character though is too relax to be a real aunt. I mean, she lost Ben and Peter's parents, but she doesn't seem fazed at all that her 16-17 year old nephew is constantly on the brink of death by fighting villains. On the contrary, she encourages it, which is weird. And Ned is now irritating, although he was featured less prominently in this film.

I like the twist about the former Stark employees turning on Tony and the world for what they believed to be injustices at the workplace. Mysterio should have been a long term villain, not a one off. Gyllenhall played him great and I hope he comes back somehow down the road.

The 2 extra credit scenes stole the show for me. The first one with the return of JK Simmons as JJJ was amazing and then the Spidey-Peter Parker reveal was nuts. The second scene sets up for Secret Invasion, I think, although the Skrulls seem to still be the good guys in all of this. I wonder if the twist down the road is that the invaders this time are the Kree, who as seen the Captain Marvel movie, have plenty of people in their race that resemble human beings. The conversation between "Nick and Maria" at the pier when they were about to meet Happy gave hints of Kree having people on Earth currently.

I wonder if the "Thompson" family will replace the Osborn one in the MCU. The hints of Flash trying to impress his mother and the fact that she didn't pick him up at the airport are leading to something. Maybe even a Venom crossover down the road, as Flash idolizes Spider-Man and the only way to become someone like him is to have a symbiote attached.
Old 07-03-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Caught a matinee today in a full house.

Overall, I liked it, but I thought Homecoming was a little better. The first hour dragged a little, but I did appreciate the character development with Peter that he’s an awkward teenager and is in the middle of figuring things out with his first crush. I also think that “MJ” is written strangely as a character. I’m curious if they feel the need to bring the real Mary Jane Watson at some point or if they’re happy with Zendaya as Peter’s love interest.

The big action sequences were exciting and fun to watch. I like the bits of humor. I don’t know anything about the Mysterio character, but I liked the big reveal that he was a phony and was actually a bitter former employee of Tony along with those others.

Were Fury and Maria Hill skrulls the entire movie or did those two switch places with them prior to that final reveal in the post credits?

loved the cameo from J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jamison. That was so unexpected and damn that cliffhanger.

I don’t think we needed more of the fallout of The Blip. That would have dragged it unnecessarily. Yeah these guys missed five years, but after that humorous take on it in the opening act, we see that everyone has moved on and is trying to get back to normal.

Overall a B+ from me. Not the best MCU movie, but still fun. I was engaged the entire 130 minutes.

Old 07-03-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Were Fury and Maria Hill skrulls the entire movie or did those two switch places with them prior to that final reveal in the post credits?

Lengthy, but highly intriguing theory here (Starting at 4:32)

Btw, what a total badass Peter “Ralphie” Billingsley has become. Fought against both Iron Man and Spider-Man. Yet to be apprehended!!!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 07-03-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 05:53 AM

I forget in what article I read it in, but it said Fury was himself at the funeral. But the entirety of this movie doesn’t seem to have been him.
Old 07-03-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Spoiler:
Secret Invasion
Spoiler:
I have read Secret Invasion and outside of being really underwhelmed by it, I don't see how two skrulls in disguise talking to Fury on a space ship really sets it up. If they were talking to another skrull I would understand but instead it just comes off as Fury being covert in order to be covert.
Old 07-03-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Totally thought the multi-verse idea mentioned in the the trailers (I noted they did remove the line about Thanos from the actual film) would pay off with showing the redheaded Mary Jane on that Earth. Also, it would have been a bit more touching if the voice of EDITH was Tony's.

Butttttt, I love Marvel movies and while this one doesn't rank up there in the tops it was still a fun flick.
Old 07-03-19, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I like the twist about the former Stark employees turning on Tony and the world for what they believed to be injustices at the workplace. Mysterio should have been a long term villain, not a one off. Gyllenhall played him great and I hope he comes back somehow down the road.
I really liked this as well. So funny that they got Peter Billingsley back. Though, he’s friends with Fav, so not too hard.
Old 07-03-19, 08:50 AM
Banned

Spoiler:
I have read Secret Invasion and outside of being really underwhelmed by it, I don't see how two skrulls in disguise talking to Fury on a space ship really sets it up. If they were talking to another skrull I would understand but instead it just comes off as Fury being covert in order to be covert.
Spoiler:

Like I mentioned on my previous post, I feel that the MCU Secret Invasion storyline will be done with the Kree as the bad guys instead of the Skrulls, based on the conversation in the movie between Talos Fury and the Maria Hill Skrull in which they said that there were Kree operatives hiding on Earth.
Old 07-03-19, 08:53 AM
Banned

I give props to Feige and the entire MCU team for the lengths they'll go to so they can keep the movie from being spoiled before it hit theaters. The fact that they had Funko release a Hydro Man and Molten Man POP figures to tie-in to a film they were not in at all shows determination.
Old 07-03-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had Hydro Man and Molten Man Marvel Legends too. Pretty cool, especially since a proper Hydro Man is never going to get the movie treatment.

I really enjoyed this. I think Homecoming had a cooler twist that genuinely shocked, but it was a movie that I didn't really care for. Far From Home was just a really good time summer movie. I am so over the Joss Whedon jokey tone the MCU movies have, but that stuff really fits when the characters you're following are teenagers. I just enjoyed this group of kids being friends.

My biggest takeaway from this is I feel like they really wasted my boy Jake G. He was great as Mysterio, but I was TOTALLY buying him as the brave earnest hero during the first half of the movie, and it made me wish he was playing some other character so he could be in these movies more doing that thing. He had a very Captain America quality with how firm but supportive he was with Peter, and I knew that wasn't going to last, but I was like man I wish it could. I also think Mysterio is one of the cooler looking characters we've seen on screen since they didn't try to get too far away from his ridiculous comic costume. So he really stood out.

I'll echo what someone else said, and say I too like Zendaya, but I just can't get with this version of MJ. Or maybe the MJ is fine, but she and Tom Holland don't really have great on screen romantic chemistry IMHO. Honestly think they would work better just as friends. Peter has more chemistry with Ned.

This tech-happy secret agent Spider-Man still takes some getting used to. I really like my Spider-Man stripped down, resource-strapped, and street level. But we got that in the Raimi movies, so the MCU is going for something a bit different which is fine. Baby Stark.

I know they did it for the movie's plot, but it was pretty ridiculous for Stark to leave EDITH to Peter. I get Peter being Tony's psuedo-protege/son-figure, and I get him leaving Peter some resources, but a earth orbiting drone-housing ai-of-death? Seems like there are any number of other characters (characters we know to be good people) that this would be better suited to have. Namely, Rhodey. Leave Peter a Spider-Lair or something, or EDITH like AI that could help him on missions, but space drones? Huh? That said, I wouldn't want them to reincorporate an AI into his suit like Spider-Man had in Homecoming.
Old 07-03-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

My small gripe... Peter couldn't have built in thermal, infrared or some other way of looking past Mysterio's illusions into the new suit eye pieces? I mean it's cool that he had to rely on the tingle to show that he has his Spidey sense, but I would have thought he would have been smart enough to do that. And that the ending, in a way, mirrored Homecoming, in that he has to prove to himself (and Stark) again that he can be a hero.

The EDITH acronym is pure Tony.
Old 07-03-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
This was a MAJOR disappointment. It felt like no one in this film was even trying. I think I enjoyed the two post credit scenes more than anything else. Except maybe the first illusion fight.

Sam Jackson had nothing to do. Jake Gyllenhal was fine with one of the flattest written villains in the MCU. Why hire J.B. Smoove and not give him a single funny thing to do or say?

If you know anything about Mysterio from the comics, you knew the plot twist a mile away. And even if you don't know the comics, it was easy to spot because of the way the story was paced. "The big action set up is paying off half way through? Time for a plot twist."

That smart/sarcastic MJ from Homecoming is virtually gone, replaced by a borderline annoying, boy-crazy teenager.

Do ANY of these characters have any real issues relating to the fact that they missed the last five years?

Why does Peter give a shit about Aunt May and Happy?

Why does Mysterio freak out and almost kill members of his crew? To show that he's a typical power-mad villain? How tired. Couldn't any one of that crew wreck the operation at any time? Wouldn't it be more interesting if they actually were working as a team, instead of following a crazy egomaniac?

And let's not forget the sad, old trope of Let's Take the Gang to Europe for Their Next Adventure!

I might have to watch Incredible Hulk again to be sure, but right now, far From Home goes at the very bottom of the MCU.
I think you hit my feelings almost exactly--and I was someone who loved Homecoming. A lot of the classmates felt like caricature versions of their Homecoming counterparts, and they all sort of had that 90210 vibe going where they no longer look and act like high schoolers whereas I thought that felt so perfect before. And it was like they tried to make MJ more like Peter's first crush from Homecoming, Liz, instead of letting her continue on as she was.

I didn't hate it, there are things that were fun, but it was kind of the Iron Man 2 to Iron Man.
Old 07-03-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I think you hit my feelings almost exactly--and I was someone who loved Homecoming. A lot of the classmates felt like caricature versions of their Homecoming counterparts, and they all sort of had that 90210 vibe going where they no longer look and act like high schoolers whereas I thought that felt so perfect before. And it was like they tried to make MJ more like Peter's first crush from Homecoming, Liz, instead of letting her continue on as she was.
I attribute some of their changes to the blip. One minute you existed, the next you didn't. I'm not sure how I would have felt after coming back from that.
Old 07-03-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Spoiler:
It sets up the idea that Skrulls are on earth and no one knows.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.