Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.77%
24.53%
49.06%
9.43%
9.43%
1.89%
1.89%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-12-19, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

For those wondering about the deal with Sony Movieweb is reporting that the MCU would have lost Spider-Man if this movie didn't gross 1 billion.

https://movieweb.com/mcu-losing-spid...ollars-marvel/

Specifically, it's come to light that if Spider-Man: Far from Home, which officially hit theaters last week, doesn't make $1 billion at the box office, Sony regains full control of the franchise and Tom Holland's Peter Parker may no longer be a part of the MCU.
Old 07-12-19, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-12-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
For those wondering about the deal with Sony Movieweb is reporting that the MCU would have lost Spider-Man if this movie didn't gross 1 billion.

https://movieweb.com/mcu-losing-spid...ollars-marvel/

Specifically, it's come to light that if Spider-Man: Far from Home, which officially hit theaters last week, doesn't make $1 billion at the box office, Sony regains full control of the franchise and Tom Holland's Peter Parker may no longer be a part of the MCU.
If that is true then they have lost him. I don't see this making it there even though it is at about 600+ now.
Old 07-12-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
If that is true then they have lost him. I don't see this making it there even though it is at about 600+ now.
Uhhh no. It will get to a billion world wide. It is in Sony's interest to keep him in the MCU. Keeps the character visible.
Old 07-12-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it was in Sony's best interest then why make that specific type of deal? Makes no sense. Not every Marvel movie is a billion maker.
Old 07-12-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a safety clause, even if it doesn't break a billion Sony will probably still let them keep creative control considering the response.

There was very little chance of them running Spidey into the ground, but you gotta watch your back, in case Feige just decided "Hey what people really want, is Emo Parker 2.0"
Old 07-12-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thinking about this movie it occurred to me that Mysterio's scheme to fake a major attack so he can be the superhero saving the day is a lot like Buddy / Syndrome's plan in The Incredibles.
Old 07-12-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

If it was in Sony's best interest then why make that specific type of deal? Makes no sense. Not every Marvel movie is a billion maker.
As I said, it keeps him visible. Without the Avengers movies and last Captain America movie, it would be many years between Spider-Man appearances. This keeps the character visible and people interested in him. Furthermore, it allows the Spider-Man movies to draw from the MCU stable of characters/villains. Without the deal, you would've have seen Iron Man in the last movie or characters like Happy in the movies.
Old 07-12-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
You say that as if it has already grossed 1 Billion. It only sitting at $613M worldwide right now.
Old 07-12-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
You say that as if it has already grossed 1 Billion. It only sitting at $613M worldwide right now.
It will pass $1 billion easy. Heck, it may be close to it by this time next week.
Old 07-12-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
It will pass $1 billion easy. Heck, it may be close to it by this time next week.
That may well be, I was just pointing out that tanman's sentence reads like it has already been done.
Old 07-12-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's a safety clause, even if it doesn't break a billion Sony will probably still let them keep creative control considering the response.

There was very little chance of them running Spidey into the ground, but you gotta watch your back, in case Feige just decided "Hey what people really want, is Emo Parker 2.0"
Exactly. You have to remember this deal was made before Civil War and before Tom Holland. Spidey in the MCU was never a sure hit. This was a safety net for Sony since he's one of their main franchises.
Old 07-12-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Thinking about this movie it occurred to me that Mysterio's scheme to fake a major attack so he can be the superhero saving the day is a lot like Buddy / Syndrome's plan in The Incredibles.
I thought that too

That may well be, I was just pointing out that tanman's sentence reads like it has already been done.
Yeah you're right, I should have said if it doesn't gross a billion.
Old 07-13-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony is in a bit of an awkward spot really. If they rip Spider-Man out of the MCU they’ll be forced to reboot which probably won’t go very well. I think they know this and realize that for the moment at least keeping him in the MCU is in their best interest. They can keep on with the spin-offs and more animated films in the meantime.

I think they also need to not get cocky about things like Venom doing well. That’s a well known and liked character in his own right with a built in fanbase. Let’s see how good something like Morbius or whatever else is in the works does. Into the Spider-Verse did well because it still featured Spider-Man.
Old 07-13-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Into the Spider-Verse did well because it still featured Spider-Man.
Partially, but it also did well because it was a really good movie.

Last edited by Deftones; 07-13-19 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
It was a good movie I agree. I'm just saying though that movie along with Venom aren't proof enough to me that Sony can take back Spider-Man and make films that are as good or better than we're getting currently from Marvel Studios.

Into the Spider-Verse is really it's own thing. As an animated film it was able to do different things than a typical live action movie can do. It also had the right talent behind it with Lord and Miller. From a story stance it's good, but I feel like more risks might have been allowed since it was animated rather than live action.

As successful as Venom was it isn't a good movie. It's entertaining enough, but if that's demonstrative of what they'd deliver out of a live action Spidey film I think they have work to do before being entrusted with the character again.

I also think people will expect more from a mainstream Spider-Man film, especially after getting the MCU version. Like I said let's see how other spin-offs that don't have the built-in fanbase or appeal of a character like Venom do. It'll be interesting seeing the crowd reaction to something like Morbius or whatever else Sony is planning to do.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-13-19 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
There were several factors. In addition to it being good, it featured a nice mix of characters (although turning kindly old Aunt May into a hip tech type was a bit of a cliche), and most of all, it was an animated movie that wasn't aimed at grade schoolers (like the lego movies, most dreamworks nonsense, etc).
Old 07-13-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a good movie I agree. I'm just saying though that movie along with Venom aren't proof enough to me that Sony can take back Spider-Man and make films that are as good or better than we're getting currently from Marvel Studios.

Into the Spider-Verse is really it's own thing. As an animated film it was able to do different things than a typical live action movie can do. It also had the right talent behind it with Lord and Miller. From a story stance it's good, but I feel like more risks might have been allowed since it was animated rather than live action.

As successful as Venom was it isn't a good movie. It's entertaining enough, but if that's demonstrative of what they'd deliver out of a live action Spidey film I think they have work to do before being entrusted with the character again.

I also think people will expect more from a mainstream Spider-Man film, especially after getting the MCU version. Like I said let's see how other spin-offs that don't have the built-in fanbase or appeal of a character like Venom do. It'll be interesting seeing the crowd reaction to something like Morbius or whatever else Sony is planning to do.
The problem that is going to become more apparent as time goes on is all of these Marvel movies aren't really going to be about the characters, but how the characters advance some larger storyline. Homecoming was about Spider-Man. Sure, it tied in to the MCU, but it was about Peter. Far From Home is "How do people handle the death of Iron Man?" and "What's next for the whole MCU". It could have been about Ant-Man, Black Panther, or even a new character. And if more movies follow this path, it's going to cause people to lose interest.
Old 07-14-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The movie is up to 847 million global so it is probably pretty safe to say that over the next 2-3 weeks it will crack a billion.
Old 07-14-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is good for MCU then. Still think it was a stupid how they made that arrangement.
Old 07-14-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is good for MCU then. Still think it was a stupid how they made that arrangement.

That is assuming the deal is being accurately reported online but regardless, it looks like Marvel will get to use Spider-Man for a third film with ties to the greater MCU without having to beg Sony.
Old 07-14-19, 04:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

see this i don't understand and you're not the first to make statement. what in live action can't be done nowadays? why does animated superhero need place in separate category as live-action superhero? they can do anything including having living, breathing completely animated or CGI characters, like Thanos, Gollum, etc...

what different things can they do that live action can't?
Old 07-14-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of it is pretty silly and over the top. Not trying to say it's bad, but some of that I don't think fits tonally with the MCU. Also the whole Spider-Verse idea to me while good I think might come off a bit hokey in live action. I just think it might be harder to pull off a story like that with an MCU film for example. Feels better suited to the comics or animation.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-15-19 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Took my son to see this Friday night and we thought it was a lot of fun. There was a bit too much going on with the drones and the plot was as see-through as they come but overall it was very good and I think Tom Holland is an excellent addition to the MCU cast.
Old 07-15-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get what people are trying to say with ramifications from the snap, but honestly I think people are expecting way too much from a comic book film. It’s fantasy, they’re not going to show a bunch of negative aftermath from the snap. It’s supposed to be the day was saved and that’s basically that. There are some affects on people shown but they’re not going to show mass suicides or things like the stock market crashing. Doing that leads to a bunch of dreary films which I don’t think most of the audience really wants.
Pretty much the HBO series The Leftovers before the second snap. I am really interested in it, wished The Leftovers covered it more instead of some of the story lines they concentrated on - but End of the World stories are some of my favorite.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.