Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.39%
22.03%
52.54%
8.47%
8.47%
1.69%
3.39%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by movieguru
He didn't stop himself from being frozen in the ice. He just stayed behing and didn't come back to the present time of End Game. So he lived his life becoming an old man at the end of End Game. but while he was becoming an old man he was also frozen in the ice and having the adventures with the Avengers. So there was basically two of the same Steve Rogers from whatever point in time he went to up until he was sent back in time.
But cap wasn't living the other life the first time around so he changed the timeline. We know this because of the Peggy Carter show.
Old 07-07-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Saw a matinee today. Overall I liked it quite a bit. I think I may have enjoyed Homecoming slightly more to be honest but this one is still very good. I think both of the MCU Spider-Man films have had two of the best villains in Vulture and now Mysterio. Also like the cast pretty well overall. I know a lot of the side characters aren’t the most faithful to their comic counterparts but I don’t have an issue with any of them really.

I was a bit bummed out that it turned out the whole multiverse idea was just a tease and didn’t really set anything up. I thought there could have been potential for some interesting scenarios it that wound up being true.

I do agree that some of the aftermath of the snap/the blip are questionable/problematic, but I’m not going to pick the film apart for that really. Most of what they did with it in this filmworked well enough for me.

Spoiler:
I thought that the zombified Tony/Iron Man during Mysterio’s illusion scene when he’s messing with Peter was fairly dark for an MCU film.

The end credits scenes were also great in this and really compelling about where future films/storylines will go. Really curious how the stuff with Spidey being portrayed as someone who killed Mysterio who people think of as a hero will play out. Also of course love that J.K. Simmons is once again portraying JJJ. That was a really well kept secret and fun to see him pop in even if only briefly.

Also the reveal of Fury and Hill being Skrulls is interesting too. Makes you question how long that’s been the case.

Overall an enjoyable film in my view.

Originally Posted by rennervision
I noticed we have a cliffhanger ending with no "SPIDER-MAN WILL RETURN" at the end. Sony better make another deal.
Fairly certain Holland’s deal is six films. So he’s got one more to go. Think it was always supposed to be three team up films and a trilogy. I can’t imagine Sony wouldn’t make a new deal. It would be absolutely foolish to turn the MCU/Disney away at this point.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-07-19 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

He didn't stop himself from being frozen in the ice. He just stayed behing and didn't come back to the present time of End Game. So he lived his life becoming an old man at the end of End Game. but while he was becoming an old man he was also frozen in the ice and having the adventures with the Avengers. So there was basically two of the same Steve Rogers from whatever point in time he went to up until he was sent back in time.
He still changed time. That second Steve Rogers that went back changed Peggy Carter's whole life, thus changing the development of SHIELD and her marriage to the other guy from her show.
Old 07-07-19, 10:18 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Fairly certain Holland’s deal is six films. So he’s got one more to go. Think it was always supposed to be three team up films and a trilogy. I can’t imagine Sony wouldn’t make a new deal. It would be absolutely foolish to turn the MCU/Disney away at this point.
It would be cool to have the third film named Spider-Man: Homeless. (Someone might have mentioned this already.)
Old 07-07-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this yesterday. It was a good, fun movie. But this version of Spider-Man is not really true to the character that makes Spider-Man who he is. Parker is not the cash strapped, socially isolated, high school nerd originally portray in the comics. There is no guilt over Uncle Ben's death. At this point I don't think he was ever mentioned so we don't even know if he ever exists in this version. Aunt May is even younger than the Ultimate version. He doesn't even call her "Aunt May", but just "May". None of the other supporting characters are anywhere near faithful to the comics. All they do is share the same name with their comic book counterpart. Their personalities and backstorys are not even close to the comic book versions. MJ is only MJ in name only. Same with Ned Leeds. Betty Brandt isn't slightly older and working for The Daily Bugle. She is in high school with everyone else and looked more like Gwen Stacy or Liz Allen than Betty Brandt. Flash isn't the bully he was in the comics. He seemed to just tease Peter like high school friends normally do with one another. Also the switching of races of so many characters just for the sake of switching races to make it appear they are being PC comes off as just the opposite. J Jonah Jameson was perfect. I'm glad they stayed with J K Simmons and not doing something drastic like having Morgan Freeman play him.

The way he can create different costumes now makes him more like a mix of Iron Man or Batman. There's not much reason for him to design a costume with out the web gliders under his arms. He does't need to use his web shooters to travel from building to building. He can climb up a tall building, jump off and use the gliders to pretty much fly around the city. Since he has Stark's technology when making costumes, why wouldn't he just build in repulsor blasts, missiles, and other weapons when he is fighting villains. Why limit himself, when he can simply add additional abilities to aid him in easily easily defeating these villians? As someone mentined earlier, all he would have need to do was have the costume have infra red built in and he would have easily been able to get around anything Mysterio could throw at him. The one other odd thing, his costume appeared to be more armor like in the last fight sequence. Why would it not have been or been made to be fire retardant? It caught on fire in one of the scenes and he had to take a quick dip into the river to put the fire on his costume out.

One thing I was curious about, was the Black Widow a public figure in the MCU? She is supposed to be a spy, but in the opening sequence they mention her death as if she is a household name. I can see them not being able to hide Tony Stark's death as he was a public figure in the MCU, but I wouldn't think the Black Widow would be. They also refer to Captain America as being dead when he really is not. Why would the Avengers or what's left of them even hold a press conference or let the general public know about how they defeated Thanos? You would think they would be a little more covert in their operations. Did they go public and explain everything that happened to them like the time travel and everything else?
Why wouldn't they? Half of all life on Earth just materialized back on Earth out of thin air after being dead for five years, you don't think the Avengers are going to explain to everyone what the hell just happened? And Black Widow publicly testified in front of congress after SHIELD fell, so she hasn't been doing the covert spy stuff for a long time by this point, but even if she had, they weren't going to let her sacrifice going unrecognized.
Old 07-08-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So if Fury and Hill were really Skrulls the whole time, if they were really there, would they have been fooled so easily by Beck? If Fury were really there he probably could have stopped all, somehow, much sooner and it would be like the movie never happened. Right?
I dont like to do this but yes, I agree with you.
Old 07-08-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:
www.facebook.com/orbiwanreviews

Spider-Man: Far From Home (PG-13) - The perfect follow-up to Avengers: Endgame - a spectacular superhero adventure with plenty of action, comedy, a bit of romance, and a few secrets that will just make you go “Wow!”
My short review of Orbi's review.

It's exactly my thought as well.
Two Thumbs Up
Old 07-08-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Pretty torn on this. Saw it yesterday and thought it was a whole bunch of meh. The whole let's have Spider-Man take on the elementals was ludicrous. There should have been a better explanation why he was specifically needed and all they gave was piss poor lazy all the others are busy BS. That unfortunately set the tone for me. Some parts were OK. The actors just seemed to phone it in mostly Jackson. May be that was the point to show him acting differently because he was a skrull but it didn't work for me.

2.5/5 for me. The more I think about it the less I like it.
I think you may have gone to get popcorn and missed most of the movie.
Old 07-08-19, 12:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Hood
He still changed time. That second Steve Rogers that went back changed Peggy Carter's whole life, thus changing the development of SHIELD and her marriage to the other guy from her show.
I said the same thing post before last.

I suppose they can try and retcon out the whole Peggy Carter show, but then they'd have to come up with a whole new SHIELD origin. As I said, just a huge paradox they'll probably never explore.
Old 07-08-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He went to a completely different time line.
Old 07-08-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
... which led me to thinking, does that mean that those who disappeared while in flight (like on an airplane) would have reappeared in the same spot and fallen to their death?

That’s just cruel.

The person snapping the Infinity Gauntlet would have power over that. Since Tony did the snapping, he most likely assured everyone returned safely.
Old 07-08-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Old 07-08-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My short review of Orbi's review.

It's exactly my thought as well.
Two Thumbs Up
Hallelujah!
Old 07-08-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

No I just didn't like it as much as apparently everyone here. But if that bugs you whatever.
Old 07-08-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
The moment any of them went back in time, they changed time regardless of what they did. They could be there for a few seconds and take a deep breath and they changed time as they werent origianlly there to breathe the air.
Old 07-08-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The person snapping the Infinity Gauntlet would have power over that. Since Tony did the snapping, he most likely assured everyone returned safely.
There's a lot of logic issues with the whole snap and post snap. If all of a sudden half the people on the planet disappear, you would have a lot of mass suicides with people that could not deal with what just happened. The stock market would crash. All the major banks would fall as there would be at least 50% of the people that would now be defaulting on their mortages. There may not be enough skilled labor in certain industries to keep society running. Post snap, you would now all of a sudden have twice as many people on the earth you did a few seconds before. Since five years in they would only have been producing enough food to feed the decreased population, you would now have people starving to death. you would have a lot of people that came back that couldn't go back to living where they were because someone else was living there. Your spouse may have remarried. Your job would be gone so there would be massive unemployment. All your belongings would be gone. It would be major pandemonium, but none of this is really reflected in the new movie. It just makes it look like everyting is back to normal. I doubt they will ever address much of ramifications and just say everyting is back to normal.
Old 07-08-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a good time watching this movie, but ultimately I think it ranks among the MCU's lesser movies.

Knowing beforehand that Mysterio is a villain, it was pretty easy to guess that all of the initial fights were staged. So I was simply waiting for the mid-point of the movie for his true motivations to be revealed. The movie felt like it was spinning its wheels until the bar scene. Things picked up after that, but I still never felt like there was any tension whatsoever. The movie was so lighthearted (and, at times, silly) that never for a second did I think any of the main characters were in danger. The Happy/students scene in the vault was played for laughs (the whole, "I'm going to die so I'll reveal my funny secrets" is a huge movie cliche at this point), and the number of drone bullets that Spider-Man managed to avoid eventually got ridiculous. Compare all of this to the car scene in the first movie, where Toomes figured out Parker's identity -- that scene was thick with tension. Nothing in this movie even came close.

My wife and son didn't know anything about Mysterio before watching the movie, so his turn was more of a surprise for them, and so the movie worked better for them than it did for me.

It was still a fun movie and I did laugh a lot and Tom Holland remains one of the best casting decisions in the entire MCU. I appreciate that they went for a much lighter tone following the heaviness of Infinity War/Endgame, but ultimately it makes the movie a little to lite and forgettable. Honestly, the most exciting moment of the entire movie was the JJJ credit scene and it was the only moment that elicited a verbal reaction from the crowd I was with.
Old 07-08-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

There's a lot of logic issues with the whole snap and post snap. If all of a sudden half the people on the planet disappear, you would have a lot of mass suicides with people that could not deal with what just happened. The stock market would crash. All the major banks would fall as there would be at least 50% of the people that would now be defaulting on their mortages. There may not be enough skilled labor in certain industries to keep society running. Post snap, you would now all of a sudden have twice as many people on the earth you did a few seconds before. Since five years in they would only have been producing enough food to feed the decreased population, you would now have people starving to death. you would have a lot of people that came back that couldn't go back to living where they were because someone else was living there. Your spouse may have remarried. Your job would be gone so there would be massive unemployment. All your belongings would be gone. It would be major pandemonium, but none of this is really reflected in the new movie. It just makes it look like everything is back to normal. I doubt they will ever address much of ramifications and just say everything is back to normal.
All of this. FFH played off the post-snap for laughs, but in reality the ramifications would be massive. It would probably make for a very interesting movie, honestly, but not really a good superhero movie, which is probably why they're mostly brushing it off. About the only way the world could go on just fine is if Tony's snap was designed to 1) bring back everyone who was dusted, 2) bring them back to a spot where they would be safe (i.e., not flying through the air, walking through an intersection, etc.), 3) also resurrect anyone else who indirectly died as the result of the snap (suicide, airplane passengers where the pilot got dusted), and 4) restore all industry/production/jobs to their states pre-snap. Tony was a genius, so I suppose it's possible he would have considered all these contingencies when he snapped, but it doesn't seem that he did (considering that different people were living in Aunt May's apartment, for instance).
Old 07-08-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Tony was a genius, so I suppose it's possible he would have considered all these contingencies when he snapped, but it doesn't seem that he did (considering that different people were living in Aunt May's apartment, for instance).
Of course Tony's snap didn't bring everyone back, Professor Hulk's did. Though Banner is also a genius.
Old 07-08-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get what people are trying to say with ramifications from the snap, but honestly I think people are expecting way too much from a comic book film. It’s fantasy, they’re not going to show a bunch of negative aftermath from the snap. It’s supposed to be the day was saved and that’s basically that. There are some affects on people shown but they’re not going to show mass suicides or things like the stock market crashing. Doing that leads to a bunch of dreary films which I don’t think most of the audience really wants.
Old 07-08-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get what people are trying to say with ramifications from the snap, but honestly I think people are expecting way too much from a comic book film. It’s fantasy, they’re not going to show a bunch of negative aftermath from the snap. It’s supposed to be the day was saved and that’s basically that. There are some affects on people shown but they’re not going to show mass suicides or things like the stock market crashing. Doing that leads to a bunch of dreary films which I don’t think most of the audience really wants.
If there aren't any real ramifications from Thanos doing his snap, then why bother going through all the trouble of bringing people back if they really weren't that affected to begin with?

Old 07-08-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I had a good time watching this movie, but ultimately I think it ranks among the MCU's lesser movies.

Knowing beforehand that Mysterio is a villain, it was pretty easy to guess that all of the initial fights were staged. So I was simply waiting for the mid-point of the movie for his true motivations to be revealed. The movie felt like it was spinning its wheels until the bar scene. Things picked up after that, but I still never felt like there was any tension whatsoever. The movie was so lighthearted (and, at times, silly) that never for a second did I think any of the main characters were in danger. The Happy/students scene in the vault was played for laughs (the whole, "I'm going to die so I'll reveal my funny secrets" is a huge movie cliche at this point), and the number of drone bullets that Spider-Man managed to avoid eventually got ridiculous. Compare all of this to the car scene in the first movie, where Toomes figured out Parker's identity -- that scene was thick with tension. Nothing in this movie even came close.

My wife and son didn't know anything about Mysterio before watching the movie, so his turn was more of a surprise for them, and so the movie worked better for them than it did for me.

It was still a fun movie and I did laugh a lot and Tom Holland remains one of the best casting decisions in the entire MCU. I appreciate that they went for a much lighter tone following the heaviness of Infinity War/Endgame, but ultimately it makes the movie a little to lite and forgettable. Honestly, the most exciting moment of the entire movie was the JJJ credit scene and it was the only moment that elicited a verbal reaction from the crowd I was with.

i like that they can do a superhero film where the fate of the whole world isn't in the balance of them defeating the villain. Too many of these movies have the stakes set so high for defeating the villain, It's nice to have one where it is much closer to a personal level.
Old 07-08-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there aren't any real ramifications from Thanos doing his snap, then why bother going through all the trouble of bringing people back if they really weren't that affected to begin with?
Because they’re heroes and trying to save people is what they do? In real life there would be ramifications more major than those shown I agree. I’m simply saying for a comic book film that’s expecting more than was realistically ever going to happen. Again these are fantasy films. People go for escapism not to be depressed. Case in point the DCEU.
Old 07-08-19, 11:23 AM
Banned

He went to a completely different time line.
If he did that we would never have known anything had changed.
Old 07-08-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Because they’re heroes and trying to save people is what they do? In real life there would be ramifications more major than those shown I agree. I’m simply saying for a comic book film that’s expecting more than was realistically ever going to happen. Again these are fantasy films. People go for escapism not to be depressed. Case in point the DCEU.
Here's something I think about a lot - in action movies, a fairly typical car chase with some shooting back and forth and a few exploded cars could be a relatively minor set piece in the film itself. If that same thing happened in real life, it would be national news.

When a movie has fantastical elements (no matter the genre), then we have to accept that in the world of the movie, what happens doesn't have the same ramifications that it would in the real world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.