Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.39%
22.03%
52.54%
8.47%
8.47%
1.69%
3.39%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-05-19, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Anyone else get a serious Kraven the Hunter vibe off that Dmitri guy working with Fury and co?
Old 07-05-19, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Also I’m really hoping they finally announce Marvel Phase 4 on the next week or so and one of them is Spider-Man: Homeless 😉
Old 07-05-19, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric F
Well, you'd think Spiderman would know...Oh wait, his Spider sense wasn't working. How convenient.
Why would they set off his Peter Tingle if they weren't a threat to him?

Originally Posted by Eric F
​​​​​​Aren't there other psychics on Earth who could figure it out?
In the MCU? Nope.
Old 07-05-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Do the Skrulls not age? It doesn't make sense that the main Skrull from Captain Marvel looks the same today as he did in the 90s. Especially since there are children Skrulls as well. That just doesn't make a lot of sense in the big picture. I also don't buy that the Skrulls can be masters of mannerisms. Also, how do the illusions actually cause physical damage and destruction? I like the movie quite a bit but was not blown away by it like I was expected to be. I also think exposing Spider-Man was a cheap thrill rather than a shocking moment. It's not like he is the only person than can speak on what was really going on.
Old 07-05-19, 08:28 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

I liked the movie well enough (I voted “4-stars”), but the Blip got me thinking...

I liked how the high school band members disappeared in the gymnasium and then reappeared during the basketball game (to great comedic effect)...

... which led me to thinking, does that mean that those who disappeared while in flight (like on an airplane) would have reappeared in the same spot and fallen to their death?

That’s just cruel.
Old 07-05-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Do the Skrulls not age? It doesn't make sense that the main Skrull from Captain Marvel looks the same today as he did in the 90s. Especially since there are children Skrulls as well. That just doesn't make a lot of sense in the big picture. I also don't buy that the Skrulls can be masters of mannerisms. Also, how do the illusions actually cause physical damage and destruction? I like the movie quite a bit but was not blown away by it like I was expected to be. I also think exposing Spider-Man was a cheap thrill rather than a shocking moment. It's not like he is the only person than can speak on what was really going on.
It was explain that the damage was cause by the bots.
Old 07-05-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Did he have control of the bots before or after he got his hands on Stark's glasses?
Old 07-05-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Liked it overall, just a few minor quibbles. Some the stuff after the revelation of Mysterio's true intentions left me scratching my head over a few things (ho w he already had control of the drones). I almost jumped out of my seat and clapped when J.K. Simmons came back as Jameson! There truly is no other actor who can play that role as well.

One thing I feel is that Spider-Man needs to the next big MCU saga what Iron Man was to the Infinity saga. It should NOT be Captain Marvel. I liked her movie okay and don't mind her character, but she's simply can't connect the way Spidey can. I truly think the decision to make her the new "face" of the MCU has less to do with SJW stuff than the fact that Marvel may be balking at the amount of $$ Sony wants for them to keep using the Spider-Man character in their storylines.
Old 07-05-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I liked the movie well enough (I voted “4-stars”), but the Blip got me thinking...

I liked how the high school band members disappeared in the gymnasium and then reappeared during the basketball game (to great comedic effect)...

... which led me to thinking, does that mean that those who disappeared while in flight (like on an airplane) would have reappeared in the same spot and fallen to their death?

That’s just cruel.
I thought that was them vanishing reverse for comedic effect.
Old 07-05-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Did he have control of the bots before or after he got his hands on Stark's glasses?
Clearly before because of the damage caused in Mexico and Venice. Though of course that makes no sense.
BTW : The final reveal was kinda cool but it did have me thinking : Wouldn't it be easier to have Talos organize the space construction project with the Skrulls and Nick Fury leading the Avengers projects and crisis management on Earth rather than an elaborate deception to do it the other way around?
Old 07-05-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That’s just cruel.
Imagine if they all reappeared in the same spot on the earth's orbit where they got snapped and popped up in space. That would suck.
Old 07-05-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Do we know what time the snap occurred? It was daylight in Wakanda. Would a basketball game at a school in New York really be happening at the same time?
Old 07-05-19, 02:46 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Do we know what time the snap occurred? It was daylight in Wakanda. Would a basketball game at a school in New York really be happening at the same time?
It was daylight (West Coast; Bay Area) when the Pyms dusted at the end of Antman and The Wasp.
It was daylight (Central time; Missouri) when Hawkeye’s family dusted at the start of Avengers: Endgame.
It was daylight (East Coast; NYC?) when Fury and Hill dusted in the after credits scene during Avengers: Infinity War.
Old 07-05-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I think they're going to start developing Flash Thompson. They have now foreshadowed his fucked up childhood at the end there where his mom sent the chauffer to pick him up from the airport. Doesn't he become a villain or some shit in the comics?
Old 07-05-19, 04:23 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think they're going to start developing Flash Thompson. They have now foreshadowed his fucked up childhood at the end there where his mom sent the chauffer to pick him up from the airport. Doesn't he become a villain or some shit in the comics?
Venom.
Old 07-05-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Venom.

Amy Pascal had her name all over this one, so I would not be surprised if they introduced a symbiote that possesses Thompson in a future installment.
Old 07-05-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and on a tangent, that scene of Spiderman hopping around with his arachnid armor is not in the final film.

Far From Home Director Confirms Major Trailer Scene Was Cut From The Film

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-fa...er-short-film/
Old 07-05-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

That’s just cruel.
it made me think of the crashing helicopter at the end of Infinity War. That pilot must have had a sucky in-blipping.
Old 07-05-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't nearly as good as Homecoming. I think the fights/effects were far better. My favorite was the drone fight toward the end, where you really got the sense of Spidey swinging around.

The JK Simmons cameo was completely unexpected yet probably the best part of the movie. Totally out of left field.

So what are the Skrull building? Space defense shit? Obviously Secret Invasion can't be about the Skrulls invading since they seem to be working for us. I think the Kree sleeper cell thing is basically them telegraphing that they will be using them in place of the Skrulls.
Old 07-05-19, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He actually becomes one of Peter’s closest friends in the comics. After losing his legs in the Middle East he gets the Venom symbiote and joins the Avengers (and later the Guardians of the Galaxy) as Agent Venom. He and Valkyrie have a thing for awhile, actually. But aside from both being assholes in high school, the MCU Flash and the comics Flash are pretty radically different -- so I wouldn't expect them to follow much of the same path.

Last edited by ultimaton; 07-06-19 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Venom.
Eddie Brock was Venom. At least initially. Dunno if they turned Flash into Venom later in the comics.
Old 07-06-19, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Did they ever use the symphonic Spider-Man theme in the movie? I didn't notice it
Old 07-06-19, 06:42 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Eddie Brock was Venom. At least initially. Dunno if they turned Flash into Venom later in the comics.
They did. That’s why I said it.

Ultimaton explained in detail.

Last edited by dex14; 07-06-19 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

For a second I thought Ultimaton was the name of a mini-series I had missed.
Old 07-06-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Jeeze, that sound so lame. I'm glad I dropped comics and missed all that.

As for the movie, y'all are tough, I thought it was great, and a top-tier Marvel movie!
If they do make another Marvel Spider-Man movie (that's still not decided, right?), I'm assuming they'll use Skrulls and/or Spider-armor to prove to the public that Peter isn't Spider-man.
And the final shot with Fury? Didn't look like Secret Wars to me - I have no idea what to make of that!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.